Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . (20054 Views)

An Atheist In Love With A Christian / How To Destroy An Atheist In An Argument - 6 Steps / Will You Vote For An Atheist In An Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by mazaje(m): 7:36pm On Jun 27, 2014
A Nigerian man has been incarcerated in a mental health institution by his family after saying he had lost his belief in God.

Mubarak Bala, 29, is said to have been forcibly medicated for "insanity" for nearly two weeks, despite a doctor's opinion that he has no psychological problems.

Campaigners are calling for his release and say the case highlights the fact that atheists are a persecuted minority in many African countries.

Bala's Twitter account uses the handle "ExMuslim", and his profile says: "Chemical Process Engineer. I stand for Truth&Justice. Religion insults human conscience &reason, duped me that I hav another lifetime. AgnosticAtheist."

He lives in Kano in Nigeria's predominantly Muslim north. The state adopted sharia law in 2000 and has a strict Islamic police force called the Hisbah.

When Bala told his family that he had renounced Islam, they took him to a doctor and asked if he was mentally ill, according to the International Humanist and Ethical Union, which has taken up the case. The doctor gave him a clean bill of health, but the family turned to a second doctor, who said his atheism was a side-effect of a personality change.

The family allegedly told the doctor that he had also made delusional claims that he was a "governor" and other "trivial lies". Bala was subsequently admitted to the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital on 13 June and has since been held there against his will.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/25/nigerian-man-locked-up-atheist?CMP=twt_gu

4 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by cold(m): 8:07pm On Jun 27, 2014
First read this story on twitter,really sad indeed.Being an Atheist in a country where 96% of the populace are still clinging to ancient beliefs and superstitions is a very dangerous proposition.It's like a death sentence.Yahweh and Allah's foot soldiers and minions would hunt you down.You're a marked man/woman for life

36 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 27, 2014
First heard about this on the Nigerian Atheists group. I'm not a fan of social activism.

I can see only good coming out of this for atheists. It should spark a serious conversation about the nonsense adults and kids are taught by retards in mosques and churches.

I hope it ends well for Mubarak.

16 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by PastorKun(m): 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2014
aManFromMars:
Smh.

Atheist wannabe tongue

1 Like

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2014
Give Your Life to Christ, Ediot!

New Forum:- Www.-.com.ng
Remove the “dash”. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Ishilove: 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2014
mazaje: A Nigerian man has been incarcerated in a mental health institution by his family after saying he had lost his belief in God.

Mubarak Bala, 29, is said to have been forcibly medicated for "insanity" for nearly two weeks, despite a doctor's opinion that he has no psychological problems.

Campaigners are calling for his release and say the case highlights the fact that atheists are a persecuted minority in many African countries.

Bala's Twitter account uses the handle "ExMuslim", and his profile says: "Chemical Process Engineer. I stand for Truth&Justice. Religion insults human conscience &reason, duped me that I hav another lifetime. AgnosticAtheist."

He lives in Kano in Nigeria's predominantly Muslim north. The state adopted sharia law in 2000 and has a strict Islamic police force called the Hisbah.

When Bala told his family that he had renounced Islam, they took him to a doctor and asked if he was mentally ill, according to the International Humanist and Ethical Union, which has taken up the case. The doctor gave him a clean bill of health, but the family turned to a second doctor, who said his atheism was a side-effect of a personality change.

The family allegedly told the doctor that he had also made delusional claims that he was a "governor" and other "trivial lies". Bala was subsequently admitted to the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital on 13 June and has since been held there against his will.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/25/nigerian-man-locked-up-atheist?CMP=twt_gu
cheesy cheesy
cheesy
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Ishilove: 9:41pm On Jun 27, 2014
Eyah. grin grin
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Weah96: 11:33pm On Jun 27, 2014
Pastor Kun: Jokes apart, all atheists neeed to get their heads examined.

What difference does it make pastor? Are Muslims going to receive intermittent servings of ice water in hell for believing in Allah, even though they denied Jesus as lord and savior? Or is the Muslim going to roast evenly along with me?

10 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by mazaje(m): 4:53am On Jun 28, 2014
Weah96:

What difference does it make pastor? Are Muslims going to receive intermittent servings of ice water in hell for believing in Allah, even though they denied Jesus as lord and savior? Or is the Muslim going to roast evenly along with me?

Hindus, Buddhist, Taoist, even his fellow Christians that disagree with his own version of christianity.

11 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Weah96: 6:05am On Jun 28, 2014
mazaje:

Hindus, Buddhist, Taoist, even his fellow Christians that disagree with his own version of christianity.

Yea, they often underestimate the implications of their belief systems. There should be no distinction between the atheist and the Muslim, from the Christian perspective. As far as Jesus is concerned, you either follow him as instructed, or he uses your corpse to make suya. Believing in God doesn't help.

13 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 6:23am On Jun 28, 2014
Ceasar1: Give Your Life to Christ, Ediot!
And this Vitriol you posted is supposed to draw him into the Fold right? This stunted,intellectually deficient Comment of yours is fairly typical of your Sort,so I'm not surprised.
As to the instant Case;This clearly violates his Fundamental Human Right to Freedom of Thought;Conscience and Religion... As someone said above;I hope this draws Attention to and sparks Condemnation of this Sort of Persecution.

17 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by omanifrank(m): 6:24am On Jun 28, 2014
yea
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by MZdamola(f): 6:24am On Jun 28, 2014
angryI tot people like him only exists in Hollywood movies.. Like maleficent and so...
Hmmmmmmmm IE
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 28, 2014
Mubarak Bala, 29, is said to have been
forcibly medicated for "insanity" for
nearly two weeks, despite a doctor's
opinion that he has no psychological
problems.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by slimpoppa(m): 6:28am On Jun 28, 2014
where is freedom of belief.

8 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by ajahexcel(m): 6:29am On Jun 28, 2014
Law makers have made themselves agencies for breaking the law
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Trojan00(m): 6:30am On Jun 28, 2014
May the good God you claim to worship punish you for this statement. If the guy converted frm Islam to Christianity or vice versa you would jump to his defence. Jesus christ and prophet Muhammed (saw) did not teach you people to be so intolerant towards other people's beliefs

4 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by EmmaOgbu(m): 6:31am On Jun 28, 2014
Dt is too bad
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Pateniya(f): 6:32am On Jun 28, 2014
The man need serious deliverance
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by pontirock(m): 6:33am On Jun 28, 2014
Hel has jst received anoda member
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by zynzyn(m): 6:33am On Jun 28, 2014
No sentiments pls. Atheism is a choice that should be respected if it is sincere!

The credibility of religion today has been destroyed more by those who claim to believe in God, like certain BH ANIMALS!! angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Akshow: 6:35am On Jun 28, 2014
When will my people ever learn? When will they ever have sense and quit their judgemental holier than thou attitude? live and let's live.

7 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 28, 2014
mazaje: A Nigerian man has been incarcerated in a mental health institution by his family after saying he had lost his belief in God.

instead of these mods to concentrate on identity theft issue that is goingb to spring up due to this cyber attack, they are busy banning people

1 Like

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by sexymoma(f): 6:36am On Jun 28, 2014
nawa o
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Talkcentral: 6:36am On Jun 28, 2014
not fair though

Woman gives birth after 14 years pregnancy in Lagos (Photo)
>>> http://www./nigerian-politics-news/woman-gives-birth-after-14-years-pregnancy-in-lagos/
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Afrocatalyst: 6:38am On Jun 28, 2014
I read it too on another source during Nland 'off period'.

Like someone said above,it will only bring to light the flaws in our belief system and how we tolerate other's belief.

Mubarak is a trail blazer! I just hope he comes out healthy,successful and alive!

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jehovah's Witnesses: Hundreds Of Child Sex Abuse Claims In The Religion / Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka In Subsidy Removal(he Cursed Jonathan) / Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.