Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . (20048 Views)

An Atheist In Love With A Christian / How To Destroy An Atheist In An Argument - 6 Steps / Will You Vote For An Atheist In An Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 28, 2014
He is obviously sick no doubt.... He must be treated, and no one should dare stop em from helping this pathetic dude soul..... Bad to worse ni eleyi o.
I think you are the sick one.

2 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Godwit1: 8:04am On Jun 28, 2014
penny01502: rally! too bad am a polyatheist I believe in ifaa and other gods
you too need prays
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 28, 2014
penny01502: rally! too bad am a polyatheist I believe in ifaa and other gods
You are not a polyatheist. You are a 'Polytheist' .You see the Difference?

3 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by ayukdaboss(m): 8:08am On Jun 28, 2014
Ceasar1: Give Your Life to Christ, Ediot!

Is that what they teach at ur church? Calling people idiots?
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by coolzeal(m): 8:09am On Jun 28, 2014
Nigerians are religion fanatics but yet chaos surround the country. I wonder what religion should one belong.

1 Like

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 8:09am On Jun 28, 2014
babe_online: I dont see any reason why a man should be locked up simply because he does not believe in a foreign religion that belongs to the Arabs and Jews that was imposed on his ancestors.

Nigerian's are so damn brainwashed and backwards.

SMFDH.
Apt.
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by tintingz(m): 8:12am On Jun 28, 2014
Islam gave freedom to believe whatever you wanna believe but he will surely know the truth when the time comes, If there is God or not.

"Let there be no compulsion in religion : Truth stands out clear from error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy handhold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. ( Quran, 2:256) "

"Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish that they had bowed (to God's will) in Islam. Leave them alone , to enjoy (the good things of this life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them). ( Quran, 15:2-3) "

"Say, 'The truth is from your Lord': Let him who will believe, and let him who will, reject (it) . (Quran, 18:29) "

"If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then COMPEL mankind, against their will, to believe! (The Noble Quran, 10:99) "

The man family should just leave him, he will later come to believe in God or maybe regret later for not believing. smiley
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by jude33084(m): 8:18am On Jun 28, 2014
Ceasar1: Give Your Life to Christ, Ediot!

You want him to give his life to Christ yet you call him an ediot?

undecided
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Proffdada: 8:20am On Jun 28, 2014
he wasn't locked up,he was given a home
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 28, 2014
Onyegecha: This post sound so un-Christlike. yOU NEED REPENTANCE.

Seriously?.. “The FOOL says in his Heart there is No GOD”

Fool? Ediot? No difference..
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by kendrick93(m): 8:27am On Jun 28, 2014
wat a foolish tin to do.everyone had a ryt to blieve wat he/she wants.locking him up is a very big crime.Smh

1 Like

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by enomakos(m): 8:27am On Jun 28, 2014
his family shall be sue
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by SporaD8: 8:28am On Jun 28, 2014
The rights and freedom of minority have always been trampled on by the Majority from time immemorial.
These hunt-them-down syndrome need to stop and it begins with you! If the table were to turn tomorrow, no one, I repeat no one weather Atheist/polytheist/monotheist, Homo/bisexual, Moderate/extremist, Black/white men will be spared in this display of madness!
The world is big enough to accommodate all. please give peace a chance!

3 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by kendrick93(m): 8:29am On Jun 28, 2014
Ceasar1:

Seriously?.. “The FOOL says in his Heart there is No GOD”

Fool? Ediot? No difference..
isn't he entitled to any blieve he choses to?
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by oskaaay(m): 8:32am On Jun 28, 2014
mazaje: A Nigerian man has been incarcerated in a mental health institution by his family after saying he had lost his belief in God.

Mubarak Bala, 29, is said to have been forcibly medicated for "insanity" for nearly two weeks, despite a doctor's opinion that he has no psychological problems.

Campaigners are calling for his release and say the case highlights the fact that atheists are a persecuted minority in many African countries.

Bala's Twitter account uses the handle "ExMuslim", and his profile says: "Chemical Process Engineer. I stand for Truth&Justice. Religion insults human conscience &reason, duped me that I hav another lifetime. AgnosticAtheist."

He lives in Kano in Nigeria's predominantly Muslim north. The state adopted sharia law in 2000 and has a strict Islamic police force called the Hisbah.

When Bala told his family that he had renounced Islam, they took him to a doctor and asked if he was mentally ill, according to the International Humanist and Ethical Union, which has taken up the case. The doctor gave him a clean bill of health, but the family turned to a second doctor, who said his atheism was a side-effect of a personality change.

The family allegedly told the doctor that he had also made delusional claims that he was a "governor" and other "trivial lies". Bala was subsequently admitted to the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital on 13 June and has since been held there against his will.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/25/nigerian-man-locked-up-atheist?CMP=twt_gu

Chai......Life with differs PALAFA..... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by enomakos(m): 8:34am On Jun 28, 2014
religion hads done more harm than good in nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by usba: 8:34am On Jun 28, 2014
Like I stated earlier, the boy might be truly be suffering mental illness or abusing drugs, that he proclaimed himself governor could be true, the facts are that those who are insulting and attacking muslims are only doing do because they choose to believe the boy who might really be ill and needs help, if it was the other round, we would see all sort of strange comments trying hard to explain why it is so, after all non of us live with the boy, except his parents, reminding of the story of that igbo lady that converted, her parents claimed she was bewitch etc, and all we saw from the sudden defenders of freedom of religion then was an even stranger explanation of what was given by her parents, the truth is u guys would use any guise to vent ur hate!

2 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by usba: 8:41am On Jun 28, 2014
Reiyvinn: It's always Islam and its Muslim drones on the News!

First someone from sudan was sentenced to death for leaving Islam.

Ali Sina became a victim of one of those death fatwas for speaking against his former belief, Islam.

Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, e.t.c don't behave like this. Just the same radical fellows responsible for most of the terrors we are facing.

To be honest, Mubarak really got it right there: Religion insults human conscience and reason!!
christians are very good in concealing their evil, in Jordan a christian man killed his own daughter for converting to Islam, in sri lanka budhist are attacking muslims and recently christians, in new york a christian murdered a woman for being a witch etc the lists are endless, it seems the media only finds muslim related story as being juicy or out of a deliberate policy, and hence the numerous evils christians do go unnoticed!

4 Likes

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 28, 2014
...there is freedom of religion which allows one to choose/participate or not participate in any form of religions.we should let God speaks for himself,not condemning one another for a God so difficult to define and comprehend...
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by chynes(f): 8:44am On Jun 28, 2014
usba: Like I stated earlier, the boy might be truly be suffering mental illness or abusing drugs, that he proclaimed himself governor could be true, the facts are that those who are insulting and attacking muslims are only doing do because they choose to believe the boy who might really be ill and needs help, if it was the other round, we would see all sort of strange comments trying hard to explain why it is so, after all non of us live with the boy, except his parents, reminding of the story of that igbo lady that converted, her parents claimed she was bewitch etc, and all we saw from the sudden defenders of freedom of religion then was an even stranger explanation of what was given by her parents, the truth is u guys would use any guise to vent ur hate!

So why didn't the family seek for a 3rd opinion? 1st doc said he was ok. 2nd doc said he wasn't. So why believe the 2nd doc if not because of religious zealotry? Family should have sought a 3rd opinion if they had his welfare in mind
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by delishpot: 8:48am On Jun 28, 2014
chynes:
So why didn't the family seek for a 3rd opinion? 1st doc said he was ok. 2nd doc said he wasn't. So why believe the 2nd doc if not because of religious zealotry? Family should have sought a 3rd opinion if they had his welfare in mind

Trying to save him from fatwa and also saving family face. That way other Allahs armies will no attack him for dumping islam and the family will not be mocked.
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by usba: 8:57am On Jun 28, 2014
chynes:
the answer should be obvious to you, the parents felt the first doc. No sabi imm work becoz they observed something to be wrong with the boy, the second doc. Confirmed what they observe, non of us live with the boy so we need to be rational about what we read. I clearly remember when that igbo lady in Niger converted to Islam, christian called her all sort of names, and defended her fathers actions etc. Those did such should remember nothing makes your religion any more hypocritical than that!

1 Like

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by billyG(m): 8:57am On Jun 28, 2014
This iz phuckin funny!After shouting Allahu arkabar! 5times a day 4 over 30yrs he realise he has been shoutin in ignorance & in vain.
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by chynes(f): 8:58am On Jun 28, 2014
delishpot:

Trying to save him from fatwa and also saving family face. That way other Allahs armies will no attack him for dumping islam and the family will not be mocked.
it really baffles me that in this day and age that in some places people still kill their fellow humans for renouncing their faith. If your faith is so fantastic, the renouncee will definitely see the error of his ways and come back. If God is all powerful and all merciful, why fight for him? Preach your faith and leave the person to believe in it if he so chooses. Religious fanaticsm has been the root cause of most killings in this country. And its quite sad that people that proclaim love for God that is supposed to be loving commit heinous atrocities in his name.
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by bamto(m): 8:59am On Jun 28, 2014
Weah96:

Yea, they often underestimate the implications of their belief systems. There should be no distinction between the atheist and the Muslim, from the Christian perspective. As far as Jesus is concerned, you either follow him as instructed, or he uses your corpse to make suya. Believing in God doesn't help.

That should tell you Christianity is just not another religion. No one born of a woman ever uttered such words: I am THE way, THE truth and THE life; no one comes to the Father but by me.' and still has legions of followers. He was either mad, bad or truly God.

He that believes on him is not condemned but he that believes not is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Weah96, Wisdom calls. Rejecting Him is accepting eternal damnation. Accept him today. Tomorrow may be too late.
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by segzicres(m): 9:04am On Jun 28, 2014
I dunno why Africans no get sense. imaginer nonsense, we never mind our business, stupid mentality, if he doesn't believe in GOD, they should leave him alone, he knows why he chose that path. Mscheew

1 Like

Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by fapcrook(m): 9:07am On Jun 28, 2014
Pat eniya: The man need serious deliverance
How?
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by delishpot: 9:11am On Jun 28, 2014
chynes: it really baffles me that in this day and age that in some places people still kill their fellow humans for renouncing their faith. If your faith is so fantastic, the renouncee will definitely see the error of his ways and come back. If God is all powerful and all merciful, why fight for him? Preach your faith and leave the person to believe in it if he so chooses. Religious fanaticsm has been the root cause of most killings in this country. And its quite sad that people that proclaim love for God that is supposed to be loving commit heinous atrocities in his name.

True it all boils down to greed of the leaders and ignorance of the followers. Perfect recipe for religious wahala.
Re: Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . by fapcrook(m): 9:12am On Jun 28, 2014
Daniel058 :
Seeing the way of life of most muslem...i prefer atheist to a muslem...don't ban me MOD....this is no offence,just the way i think........
whats d diff btw u and these muslims?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

{free} Face Divination Online / Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church / Why Is There So Much Hate For Islam ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.