Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing (157736 Views)

Hardwood For House Roofing 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 1x12, 3x4 call 08182481552 / How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation / How To Calculate The Price of a C of O and Governor's Consent In Lagos Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 03, 2014
HsLBroker: when buying hardwood for roofing, consider Akun, Itara, Ogborugboru, Koko Igbo, Ayin, they are good wood that stand the test of time
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 03, 2014
HsLBroker: A home is gotten when you look for comfort based on your fantasy, but a shelter is a necessity, and a building becomes a shelter when it can prevent rain,water,sun, strong wind and other climatic elements from affecting the occupants- human,animal, living and dead loads with personal effects.

As far as I am concerned the moment you have your roof placed on a building, other things are important but they are basically needs. You can’t move into a house without a roof , but we have seen people living in a house with no window or makeshifts windows covered with ordinary bags and cardboards.

So it is very important to calculate the dimension of the true length of a roof members. These dimensions are essential to determine the accurate span of Rafter, Wall plate, Tie beam, King Post, Overhang, Purlins, fan struts etc.

Residential timber-framing construction clearly differentiate between spacing and span Spacing the centre-to-centre distance between structural members, unless otherwise indicated.

Span the face-to-face distance between points capable of giving full support to structural members or assemblies. In particular, rafter spans are measured as the distance between points of support along the length of the rafter and not as the horizontal projection of this distance.

Single span the span of a member supported at or near both ends with no intermediate supports.

Continuous span the term applied to members supported at or near both ends and at one or more intermediate points such that no span is greater than twice another.

Span/length calculation for roof members.

As can be seen the span of the rafter in the figure below is not quite in agreement with the Code but we will use the figures for the rafter span as calculated below.

Wood/ timber are sawn into various sizes amongst are

2” by 2” i.e 50mm by 50mm

2” by 3” i.e 50mm by 75mm

2” by 4” i.e 50mm by 100mm

2” by 6” i.e 50mm by 150mm

3” by 4” i.e 75mm by 100mm

3” by 6” i.e 75mm by 150mm
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2014
mufutau55:

Thank you H$LBroker. This is a very good instructions and lectures... It will be very useful to many people here.

Hajji Mufutau
ok
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 03, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 03, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 04, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:12am On Aug 06, 2014

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:13am On Aug 06, 2014
my current roof work in ibadan

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:15am On Aug 06, 2014
my current roof work in ibadan for stoned coated roofing, thanks nairalanders for your patronage and commitment for our project

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 07, 2014
update

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 07, 2014
HsLBroker: update

my woods don't need solignum

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by mufutau55(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2014
HsLBroker:
my woods don't need solignum

Did you mean your wood don't need Solignum, why is that? Thx.

Hajji M.
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by kopell: 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
This is why I love this section every day you come to class, you learn something new.
This roofing class is very informed, no more hiding place for dubious contractors. The roofing professor as empower his student with information. This is wood class, I believe very soon, he will extend his class the roofing sheets. I came late sir am sorry for that Thank for sheering this information.

2 Likes

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
mufutau55:

Did you mean your wood don't need Solignum, why is that? Thx.

Hajji M.
because the wood are the best hardwood that stand the test of time, and they are old wood, and they have anti termite odor that drives termite away
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by mufutau55(m): 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2014
HsLBroker: because the wood are the best hardwood that stand the test of time, and they are old wood, and they have anti termite odor that drives termite away

OK. Thanks. I just thought those termites can go/eat thru any wood. But this is really good to know if they cannot eat hard and old wood.

Hajji Mufutau

1 Like

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 09, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 09, 2014
shagamu wooden work

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
our shagamu roofing project and nigerite covering

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
kopell: This is why I love this section every day you come to class, you learn something new.
This roofing class is very informed, no more hiding place for dubious contractors. The roofing professor as empower his student with information. This is wood class, I believe very soon, he will extend his class the roofing sheets. I came late sir am sorry for that Thank for sheering this information.
you are welcome
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 10, 2014
HsLBroker: .
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:13am On Aug 11, 2014
HsLBroker: for your hardwood for roofing, Such as Akun, Itara, Ayin, Afara, Ara, Bamboo, Koko Igbo, Ayunre, Orin Dudu Timbers please call Adeniyi for your 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 3x4, 1x12, my numbers is 08067586332
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 11, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 4:21am On Aug 12, 2014
HsLBroker: .
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 12, 2014
ikorodu roofing

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 11:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
HsLBroker: ikorodu roofing
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:17am On Aug 13, 2014
HsLBroker: for your hardwood for roofing, Such as Akun, Itara, Ayin, Afara, Ara, Bamboo, Koko Igbo, Ayunre, Orin Dudu Timbers please call Adeniyi for your 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 3x4, 1x12, my numbers is 08067586332
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
HsLBroker: ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) / Mansions In Nigeria (pics) - You Can Post More Pictures / Okwudili Umenyiora Owns One Of The Most Luxurious Houses In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.