Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,101 members, 7,818,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? (1641 Views)

Chad Intercepts ISIS Weapons Going To Boko Haram / Nigerian Military Issues Third “final” Warning To Boko Haram / Police Shouldn't Take Glory For Falae's Release, We Paid Ransom – Family Source (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 8:33pm On Jun 27, 2014
Could this be the source of funding??

Captain told ransoms may go to terror group

By Kyung Lah and Kathleen Johnston, CNN Investigations

Houston (CNN) - Wren Thomas grew up in the middle of the cornfields of central Illinois, longing, he says, to do something important in his life "to make his family proud." So when a cousin beckoned him to come work on boats off Louisiana, he jumped at the chance.

His goal: to be a ship captain, "the best that I could be."

"It meant strength, accomplishment,' he said when he finally was made a captain in 1991 and traveled the world for various shipping firms. With a wife, eventually three children and boat to lead, Capt. Wren Thomas had achieved his piece of the American dream.

"I wanted to be in charge of my own destiny,'' he recalled during an interview in his attorney's Houston office.

All of that came crashing down on October 23, 2013 when Thomas was piloting his supply boat, the C-Retriever off the coast of Nigeria towards a Chevron-owned oil field.

Over the next six hours, he would huddle with his crew in an incredibly hot, water-sealed tank room as a half-dozen pirates stormed his boat and began their siege looking for their prize: the American captain and his American-born engineer. Thomas reluctantly gave up when the pirates started firing guns through a hole in the room door. He told his engineer they had no choice if the rest of the 13-member crew, still in hiding, was to be spared.

"I told him, 'Look I think it's time we give up. If we don't give up we are either going to die or somebody is going to get killed from ricocheting bullets.'"

Thomas and his engineer were the only ones to be kidnapped by the pirates, driven away in a speed boat and held in Nigerian swamps and jungles for 18 days. The experience was so horrific that even today Thomas is unable to bring himself to reveal all details of his captivity.

"We weren't being punched or kicked or anything like that but just I've told people that I would have rather been punched then went through what I went through," Thomas said. "The mental abuse of it with the guns pointing at you. And knowing how unstable these guys are."

Thomas said there were about 18 Nigerian kidnappers, some chain-smoked marijuana or crack incessantly, constantly waving their weapons and making threats.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 8:34pm On Jun 27, 2014
Food consisted of instant noodles -- on days the negotiations were going well -- and maybe a bottle of water. And his captors blared their music constantly, fixated on, of all things, country singer Dolly Parton's song, "Coat of Many Colors," and the music of hip hop artist 50 Cent.

"I knew I was going to die. We knew it every day, every night," he said.

Despite the chaos in the jungle, Thomas said the leaders were organized, using satellite phones to negotiate, first demanding a $2 million ransom. Thomas believes the payoff was eventually whittled down to several hundred thousand dollars, though CNN cannot confirm who paid the ransom or who received it.

Thomas said one evening he and his engineer were told to get in a small boat with six pirates. They motored for about two hours to reach a village. There, four of the pirates got out and met some other men who handed them backpacks, Thomas told CNN. They returned to the boat and counted the cash stuffed into the bags. After a dispute, Thomas says he and the engineer were taken to the other men and told to lie on the ground until the pirates left. Then they were put in a car and driven off. Later they were transferred to a second car, where a representative from the shipping company was waiting for them. At that point they were finally free, 18 days after being seized at gunpoint.

After a debriefing by his ship managers, then a similar one by the FBI in Lagos, Nigeria, Thomas returned to the United States last November, days after his release. He has been seeing mental health advisers and other medical professionals since.

But his hostage-taking and the negotiations that freed him have raised alarm bells in counterterrorism circles and elsewhere for numerous reasons; not the least is Thomas' claim that the FBI told him the money paid for his freedom may eventually have wound up in the hands of the notorious terror group Boko Haram.

On the hunt for Boko Haram

That is the same group that in April kidnapped nearly 300 Nigerian girls. They're also blamed for laying waste to multiple villages in the northern part of the country, burning them down and killing many people in bomb attacks.

Thomas said during his debriefing in Lagos the FBI indicated that the money paid for his freedom may have been funneled through other groups before making its way to Boko Haram. The FBI would not comment. CNN cannot independently confirm whether Boko Haram received any money from the kidnapping.

Yan St-Pierre, CEO of Modern Security Consulting Group, said his contacts believe Boko Haram, once confined strictly to the northern parts of Nigeria, is benefiting from the increase in piracy along the west coast of Africa. But the group is perhaps not directly carrying out the kidnappings itself.

1 Like

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 8:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
"So when people are asking, is there a link between Boko Haram and piracy in Nigeria, it's not the one they usually expect it to be,'' said St-Pierre, whose firm was not involved in the Thomas case. "It's one that is not necessarily logistical and operational. It's one that is more subtle. Essentially they will probably provide personnel every now and then, but it's not a fixed structure. So we are talking more (about) providing means to wash the money, to clean it. To make sure the smuggling routes, personnel, sex slaves, drugs, weapons above all else, these pirates need weapons.

"So if Boko Haram provided the weapons in advance for example and said, 'Well we will get a cut of the ransom,' which is standard policy within these groups within the region in general, this would make absolute sense to say, well the ransom money that was paid for the captain ended up at the very least partially into Boko Haram's hands, quite probably as a payment for services delivered."

Major oil companies have an official policy of not paying ransom for personnel or the thefts of fuel and ships on the high seas. And subsidiary companies, like Capt. Thomas' employer Edison Chouest, aren't talking, so it is unclear if they, too, have the same policy.

It is against U.S. law to deal with terrorists but that issue becomes murky when dealing with ransoms for captives because so many middle men are involved, counterterrorism sources said; it is hard to say who is a terrorist and who is just a common criminal.

Piracy off the coast of Nigeria is on the rise, according to one study published by Oceans Beyond Piracy, a project of the One Earth Foundation. By contrast, piracy off Somalia --on the other side of the African continent --dropped dramatically in 2013 to only 23 vessels attacked from 237 ships attacked in 2011, the same group reported. In West Africa, the group estimates there were at least 100 total piracy attacks and characterized them as more violent and frequent.

Thomas, in a series of emails, says he warned his company, Edison Chouset, that security was deteriorating and he feared some of his own Nigerian crew members. His attorney shared two of the emails with CNN.

In one email to his operations coordinator, Thomas, summing up his fear of the security situation, wrote "I am also asking to not to return to Nigeria."

Thomas said company officials told him things would improve but never did. On the day he set out on his fateful trip, Thomas said dock workers announced over two-way radio where the ship was going and what supplies it was carrying. He said those communications left them doomed before they ever got to their destination.

"The pirates (later) told me they knew where we was going ... they knew my cargo, they knew my position, they knew the track I was taking."

CNN made multiple attempts to contact Edison Chouest for comment but the company refused to return multiple calls or an email.[i][/i]
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 8:38pm On Jun 27, 2014
Thomas said two representatives from the company stayed near his wife in their hometown during his ordeal and the FBI was also in contact. But once he was freed, the communications virtually ended. It wasn't until January that someone from the company offered to assist in his medical care and other financial needs, he said.

Thomas is now consulting with a Houston attorney on his next move as he says he is medically unable to return to his overseas duties as a ship captain.

"Life is hell for me now," Thomas said. "Life will never be the same again. The man that my wife married is not the same anymore....I walk around all day paranoid. I'm sad. I can't sleep. My family is hurt."

Earlier this year, Thomas finally broke his silence, giving an in-depth interview to a shipping newsletter gCaptain. He is talking now, he says, so others don't face the same fate.

His attorney, Brian Beckcom, represented members of the Maersk Alabama crew that served with Capt. Richard Philips, whose capture by Somali pirates was made into a movie starring Tom Hanks. He said he believes these companies owe crew members, like Thomas, the same level of protection now provided to crews off the Somalian coast.

"Now all the ships in East Africa have armed guards, or most do, and piracy has plummeted in East Africa. West Africa is now the hotspot and there is no question that these companies are making hundreds of millions in (oil) profits should do something more than they're doing to protect the men that work over there," Beckcom said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/24/world/africa/nigeria-kidnapped-captain/index.html?c=&page=4
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Mutuwa(m): 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2014
Noting wey u no go hear.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by atlwireles: 8:50pm On Jun 27, 2014
Cnn can do better, even though I don't expect it.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Demdem(m): 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2014
I suspect Asari. The fool has something in common to both criminal groups.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Rilwayne001: 8:55pm On Jun 27, 2014
FP please
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2014
The FBI seems to believe that some of the Niger Delta militant's ransom and perhaps oil bunkering money finds its way to BH, according to this captain.

I hope our authorities can investigate this angle properly.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by collynzo2(m): 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2014
tbaba1234: The FBI seems to believe that some of the Niger Delta militant's ransom and perhaps oil bunkering money finds its way to BH, according to this captain.

I hope our authorities can investigate this angle properly.
Why can't the FBI investigate and give us complete info?
To say the article lacks substance is an understatement, it is absolutely baseless and looks like what was written by a nursery school kid.
You guys should stop looking for who to blame for the monster you created and allowed to grow.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by iterator25: 9:18pm On Jun 27, 2014
CNN is ###cked!!
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 9:20pm On Jun 27, 2014
collynzo2:
Why can't the FBI investigate and give us complete info?
To say the article lacks substance is an understatement, it is absolutely baseless and looks like what was written by a nursery school kid.
You guys should stop looking for who to blame for the monster you created and allowed to grow.

Who is 'you guys'??

You and I do not need complete info, the FBI would give whatever info it has to the Nigerian authorities but you should not expect them to do Nigeria's job for it.

It is the job of Nigerian authorities to investigate all possible angles, Do not expect CNN or FBI to complete your work for you. They can only help you with useful info.

These are criminal gangs, I wouldn't put it past them.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2014
This thread is sure coming from an extremist Muslim playing the blame game

2 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2014
SeaGold: This thread is sure coming from an extremist Muslim playing the blame game

CNN?? You confuse me
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 9:50pm On Jun 27, 2014
If the report mentions a northern group or personality, there will be many foaming at the mouth with excitement. The report will be considered excellent if that was the case.

Personally, I feel the key to stopping this menace is to stop the funding wherever it may come from, within or outside Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by talktimi(m): 9:54pm On Jun 27, 2014
I strongly believe CNN borrowed this trash from saharareporters.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 27, 2014
Tbaba you should be ashamed of yourself!!! I expected more from you!! Better tell your sunni salafist brothers to stop causing mayhem in this country!!

1 Like

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 27, 2014
tbaba1234: If the report mentions a northern group or personality, there will be many foaming at the mouth with excitement. The report will be considered excellent if that was the case.

Personally, I feel the key to stopping this menace is to stop the funding wherever it may come from, within or outside Nigeria.

What is the connection between Niger-delta militancy and islamic extremism that is ravaging this country? Do you really expect anyone to believe this trash you posted?

3 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 10:02pm On Jun 27, 2014
chukwudi44: Tbaba you should be ashamed of yourself!!! I expected more from you!! Better tell your sunni salafist brothers to stop causing mayhem in this country!!

For posting an article that goes against the narrative you will like to believe? Is tbaba the author?

I do not work for CNN for your information, if you have problems with the article, direct your complaints to them.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jun 27, 2014
Demdem: I suspect Asari. The fool has something in common to both criminal groups.
bros so you still get mouth to talk after Fayose disgraced you and your fellow e-warriors last saturday!!! You will conspicously missing on this site from last saturday afternoon till when the site was hacked

3 Likes

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jun 27, 2014
Chaaiiiiiiii. Speechless. .Nigeria-on-the-brink
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by tbaba1234: 10:05pm On Jun 27, 2014
chukwudi44:

What is the connection between Niger-delta militancy and islamic extremism that is ravaging this country? Do you really expect anyone to believe this trash you posted?

Kindly reread the article, BH and the niger delta militants are both criminals.

1 Like

Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Mogidi: 12:14am On Jun 28, 2014
Demdem: I suspect Asari. The fool has something in common to both criminal groups.

Bros I thought you were one of those that said they would do the "needful" if Fayose wins Ekiti? Still waiting for you to do it, its not too late.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by fr3do(m): 5:58am On Jun 28, 2014
Anti-Nigeria stereotypical nonsense
so his captors did not play afro-pop or high life?

The coasts of west africa are safer than the streets of the US, atleast here no one goes on a shooting spree without motiff.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Demdem(m): 6:45am On Jun 28, 2014
Mogidi:

Bros I thought you were one of those that said they would do the "needful" if Fayose wins Ekiti? Still waiting for you to do it, its not too late.

U thought or u know? Goon stick with what u know.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by Demdem(m): 6:52am On Jun 28, 2014
chukwudi44: bros so you still get mouth to talk after Fayose disgraced you and your fellow e-warriors last saturday!!! You will conspicously missing on this site from last saturday afternoon till when the site was hacked

Ibo boy, fools like u still think I give a damn about tinubu, apc and co. It's pathetic on ur path to still allow this cursed thought to remain part of u. U and ur co fools can't determine when I come in here and when I ought not to afterall I have a good life outside nairaland unlike ur miserable self.
Continue to wine all day about fayemi and fayose while u leave fools like orji, elechi and co who continue to ravage ur household.
Oponu.
Re: CNN Investigation: Niger Delta Ransom Money Funneled To Boko Haram? by mu2sa2: 8:06am On Jun 28, 2014
Nigrr delta terrorists and boko haram terrorists are birds of the same feather.

(1) (Reply)

Washington Post Blasts Jonathan For Campaign Slogan / House Of Reps Reject Jonathan's State Of Emergency Request / North Korea Calls Obama A “monkey,” Threatens Inescapable Deadly Blow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.