Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work (48625 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / PICTURE..Free Range Snail Farming Style In Lagos Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 7:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
topearos: hello buddies, i need an image of out-door pen please. am about venturing into heliculture.
Check this page of the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1789929/snail-farming-thread-lets-make/1

Also see the one below.

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by topearos(m): 9:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
pragmatistm: Check this page of the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1789929/snail-farming-thread-lets-make/1

Also see the one below.
Thanks bro, God bless.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 10:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
topearos:
Thanks bro, God bless.
You are welcome. Feel free to ask your questions.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by eherbal(m): 9:09pm On Oct 02, 2014
Where in Lagos can I get snails of breeding age? Thanks
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 2:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
eherbal:
Where in Lagos can I get snails of breeding age? Thanks
I know somewhere here in Ogun state. Shoot me a mail or send your whatsapp contact.

formailsalone (at) gmail .com
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Greenage: 4:03pm On Oct 06, 2014
[quote author=whirlwind7 post=24537350]

Brother, could you be kind enough to elaborate on the step by step procedure you took to getting the eggs, and then getting them to hatch out?

I will be so happy if this question can be answered as in how can one treat snail eggs to get them hatched?
did you keep the eggs
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Titiladeolu(m): 7:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
[quote author=Greenage post=26914044][/quote]

Its better you leave them where it was laid by the snail,they will hatch them.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by femo86(m): 3:52pm On Oct 12, 2014
OMG, so there is a thread for snail farming...Thanks to God. My ogas in d house, I picked like 20big snails from my backyard and kept them in a big round plastic (kept to be devoured ni ooo), they've laid close to 20eggs still counting( seperated d eggs).......kept them like babies( quite interesting though ).. seems I will take them serious now.....thanks for all ur inputs here. god bless....need more of your advice oooo cos I'm a learner...
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:26pm On Oct 12, 2014
femo86:
OMG, so there is a thread for snail farming...Thanks to God. My ogas in d house, I picked like 20big snails from my backyard and kept them in a big round plastic (kept to be devoured ni ooo), they've laid close to 20eggs still counting( seperated d eggs).......kept them like babies( quite interesting though ).. seems I will take them serious now.....thanks for all ur inputs here. god bless....need more of your advice oooo cos I'm a learner...
Can u do a pen for them and start rearing them?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by topearos(m): 9:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
femo86:
Try n construct a wooden pen.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by madgoat(m): 4:14am On Oct 13, 2014
madgoat:
HOW CAN ONE GET RID OF THE SLIME IN THE SNAIL PEN?

ALSO HOW CAN ONE GET RID OF TERMITES AND THOSE SMALL INSECTS DAT INHABIT THE SNAIL PEN?

Everybody is avoiding this question and its very important bcoz excess slime kills d snails.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 2:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
madgoat:

Everybody is avoiding this question and its very important bcoz excess slime kills d snails.
I think the way out is regular cleaning of the snail pen. For instance you can clean one weekly with a clean cotton rag and water. Or if you have a large pen you can use a clean mopping stick with its water can to do the cleaning.

Secondly, you can periodically change the soil in the pen. But ensure that you do that with a good loamy soil without introducing pests such as ants, termites, etc. into the pen. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by femo86(m): 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2014
pragmatistm:
Can u do a pen for them and start rearing them?

Thanks...I will do just that....
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by femo86(m): 3:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
topearos:

Try n construct a wooden pen.

Thanks.....on it already.!!! I just love the eggs, I do hope they hatch oooo?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by topearos(m): 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
femo86:

Thanks.....on it already.!!! I just love the eggs, I do hope they hatch oooo?
If u didn't disturb them they will hatch the eggs.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by bolutopaz(m): 8:57am On Oct 14, 2014
@madgoat, u can equally spray water constantly on d snails to reduce d slime & d water will dissolve & evaporate d slime eventually

2 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Aviah: 12:18am On Nov 23, 2014
Very interesting thread. Am happy I joined. I have Achatina achatina breeding stock. These tigers lay more eggs in one batch than A. fulica or A.marginata. it's better priced too.Am in Enugu. I just started but so far, heliculture is interesting. Let's make it work.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by FarmTech(m): 2:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
Aviah:
Very interesting thread. Am happy I joined. I have Achatina achatina breeding stock. These tigers lay more eggs in one batch than A. fulica or A.marginata. it's better priced too.Am in Enugu. I just started but so far, heliculture is interesting. Let's make it work.
How do u know it is achatina achatina you have? How do you differentiate between the various species.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Aviah: 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2014
FarmTech:

How do u know it is achatina achatina you have? How do you differentiate between the various species.

Shell colour and pattern,size and few differences in the foot (phenotypic traits). You can look it up sir for more detailed description. I have a few for sale though. Still new in this though.we learn everyday.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 6:37pm On Nov 24, 2014
For those of you that want to try indoor snailery, here are some steps to guide you.

Get a room with good space for the snails. You still need soil for indoor snailery. Put good
soil in the room up to 3 or 4 inches high. Loamy soil is preferable. And
also adequate water supply, food such as fresh
vegetable, fruits and other plants are needed. Feed the snails regularly. Clean the room periodically to avoid excessive slime build up.
You need to shield the room from ants,
coachroaches and other insects. Ensure good
ventilation and light from sun in the day. Once
again, you need to wet the snailery regularly for
say twice daily but the soil must not be water-
logged.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Mzsunshine(f): 11:16am On Jan 21, 2015
I have been thinking abt starting a medium snail farm and I need some one to supply some Achatina achatina snails to me in the east. Abia state to be precise. Could anyone direct me?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by chukyjones(m): 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
Aviah:

please where are you located in Enugu? would love to contact you. i want to set this up for my retired dad.

thank you.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by jirinengi: 2:55pm On Mar 09, 2015
Kings331:

Keep salt very far away from snails. Meaning, no feeding of snails with food prepared with salt.
Avoid direct sunshine from ur snail pens or cage.

Now...Add ur own jare...

Please i am new to this forum and would like to be active on the forum. I just wanted to ask that since soldier ants are one of the enemies of snails how does one prevent them from boring through the pen? should the base of the pen be made with concrete.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by phollar(m): 7:10pm On Mar 09, 2015
my pets reared on commercial scale in my compound, feed them basically on water melon, little unripe pawpaw and milled feed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by dking123: 3:04pm On Mar 10, 2015
Is there market for snails? how do you get buyers?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by EZEUDENE(m): 7:46pm On Mar 10, 2015
nyc trade I will venture into it
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by timoney45(m): 6:48am On Mar 11, 2015
phollar:
my pets reared on commercial scale in my compound, feed them basically on water melon, little unripe pawpaw and milled feed
Hello, where can one get the milled feed?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by phollar(m): 8:49pm On Mar 11, 2015
timoney45:
Hello, where can one get the milled feed?

you can get from a feed mill, you just have to give them the composition of what you want in the feed.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by madgoat(m): 8:23am On Mar 12, 2015
phollar:

you can get from a feed mill, you just have to give them the composition of what you want in the feed.

Plz wat composition of milled feed do u use?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by dking123: 11:46am On Mar 12, 2015
dking123:
Is there market for snails? how do you get buyers?
can somebody talk about marketing, i think thats more important.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by smallblow: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2015
@ phollar can u pls send me ur whatsap number or bbm pin? Or u can add me up on ur whatsapp 08153222362 or bbm 2B0665A9... how can I get some snail from you.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by freelife4all(m): 6:54am On Jun 03, 2015
Thanks to you all for the good work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Your Interest, Not About Ur Money,join Our Agriculture Team Now! / Photos Of A Pig Humping A Goat In Enugu / See The Animal I Killed On A Camping Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.