Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,606 members, 7,955,235 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:09 PM

My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) (9977 Views)

Help! Hunger Is About To Wipe Out Zimbabwe. Currency Just A Mere Tissue Paper... / Random Pictures Of What Makes Las Vegas The Sin City / Random Pictures From Qatar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by justi4jesu(f): 8:11am On Jul 09, 2014
Baby mama abeg open that your thread..

What your hosts expects from you abi na how u been put am before nairaland Tsunami.

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by suxes2005(m): 9:44am On Jul 09, 2014
justi4jesu: Baby mama abeg open that your thread..

What your hosts expects from you abi na how u been put am before nairaland Tsunami.

Ololufe.....
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by justi4jesu(f): 9:47am On Jul 09, 2014
suxes2005:

Ololufe.....

grin grin grin my honi....

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by shakol91(m): 11:57am On Jul 09, 2014
suxes2005:

Ololufe.....
Babalawo no need to tell me say u dey follow justy..cheesy na because of her u visit this thread.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2014
@manny4life and @Babymama1, I arrived in Baltimore yesterday and I didn't have go through the stress of supershuttle. My host was right on time to pick me up.

3 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by kasodegreat(m): 12:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
na wahala be that one oh
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by manny4life(m): 3:10pm On Jul 11, 2014
rauly: @manny4life and @Babymama1, I arrived in Baltimore yesterday and I didn't have go through the stress of supershuttle. My host was right on time to pick me up.

My broda, welcome to Amelica (the supposed land that floweth with milk and honey) grin grin

THANK GOD for mercy journey, as you have stepped into the U.S., the fruit of your labor WILL NEVER be in vain... Welcome to the never-ending hustle. grin

4 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 4:54pm On Jul 11, 2014
manny4life:

My broda, welcome to Amelica (the supposed land that floweth with milk and honey) grin grin

THANK GOD for mercy journey, as you have stepped into the U.S., the fruit of your labor WILL NEVER be in vain... Welcome to the never-ending hustle. grin
Amen sir.
Can I send you a PM?
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2014
rauly: @manny4life and @Babymama1, I arrived in Baltimore yesterday and I didn't have go through the stress of supershuttle. My host was right on time to pick me up.

Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
I wanted to ask what sort of host wouldn't pick up a new arrival from the airport but I kept quiet
Keep your eyes on the goal
The first few years will be rough but you can do it,we all went through that
I wish you well
Any questions you may have,ask here ,I'm sure there'll be people to give some valuable advise based on their experiences

4 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
justi4jesu: Baby mama abeg open that your thread..

I put so much into that thread,too bad it is gone
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by manny4life(m): 6:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
rauly:
Amen sir.
Can I send you a PM?

For sure, the owner have been modifying a whole lot recently, I barely get PM's now, anyway, if you hit me up and I don't respond within a day, know that's why.

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by manny4life(m): 6:10pm On Jul 11, 2014
Babymama1:

Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
I wanted to ask what sort of host wouldn't pick up a new arrival from the airport but I kept quiet
I wish you well
Any questions you may have,ask here ,I'm sure there'll be people to give some valuable advise based on their experiences

I was gonna ask, but outta respect I decided to be quiet and help. I'm glad he arrived Baltimore safely. There are opportunities here, I wish for him to use it wisely.

3 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 6:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
manny4life:

For sure, the owner have been modifying a whole lot recently, I barely get PM's now, anyway, if you hit me up and I don't respond within a day, know that's why.
Would do that now.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 6:11pm On Jul 11, 2014
Babymama1:

Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
I wish you well
Thanks ma'am.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 6:14pm On Jul 11, 2014
Babymama1:
I put so much into that thread,too bad it is gone
Should I paste the first page of the thread here?
I saved it

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
Wow
Please do
This is why I don't let the eediots that jump on my thread stop me
I always know there are people that benefit from them and the thread is for those people
Please go ahead and post it

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
Alright ma'am.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 6:24pm On Jul 11, 2014
I have never hosted a DV lottery immigrant but I have hosted lots of Nigerian guests and stranded Nigerians ,some I never knew from Adam for various lengths of time so let me speak from a host's perspective regarding what we expect from new immigrants/ visitors.
First of all I don't want to be misunderstood so let me start by saying that I have been a guest in people's home when we came here initially.
The first experience was a somewhat bitter one ,the second was better ( because it was a relative) until we were given a sudden quit notice when my husband didn't follow his advise to get the type of job he wanted him to get.
Let me also state that these two families are still our friends today,no bitterness in our hearts.

So back to topic

America is a tough place!you pay for virtually everything and the bills don't wait!they keep coming
You cannot owe your landlord or mortgage company or the electric company
They will have no problems shutting down your electricity,heating,water supply or evicting you from the residence when you owe.
A guest in the house increases those bills
The water and electric and heat run on a meter so when you take in visitors,those bills go up because they use up more
You can't shut down the heating when you leave because there are people 24hrs in the house.

These are some tips on how to be a good guest and make the relationship cordial till you move out

1. Please don't deceive your host.Don't tell them you are just going to stay a week with them in Maryland and move to your cousin in California when you know you have no such plans.people have done this and you can agree it is not a good way to start off.if you see your host acting strangely after a while ,this could be the reason.

2.If you are being invited by a couple and you know just one of them and have been communicating with just that one,please make sure to speak with their spouse too before you come.You may be able to pick up the vibes from that conversation.
If the man is your relative or friend please make sure the wife is in support ,this is very very important.That was our mistake with our first host,the man was a childhood friend of my husband's that he had kept in touch with for years who gave us an affidavit of support for our visa interview but apparently his wife was not in support of us coming and she didn't hide that fact when we arrived.I had never felt so humiliated in my life.let me spare you the details.Funny enough we are cordial friends today,I even wore asho ebi for her child's wedding a few weeks ago.

3.Let your host know your travel arrangements in good time .Don't tell them you are coming sometime in June then a day prior your your travel you tell them you are on your way.Give them a good enough notice.Your coming is somewhat an inconvenience ,many people don't have extra rooms waiting for a guest.They may have to move the kids around and rearrange things,give them time to do that.

4. Please please please,don't come empty handed. It is proper to take gifts while going to see people,so please buy the usual egusi,bitter leaf,Ogbono,crayfish and dried fish,dry them and give them to madam as a gift especially if the man is the one you know.Every Nigerian woman will appreciate that gesture from a guest,not because they are starving ( those things are sold in African stores) but because you show yourself by that gesture as a kind,thoughtful ,giving person.It will go a long way,believe me.
What I appreciate the most are Nigerian gospel music and the latest DJ mixes,I don't require anything but I appreciate them when I do get them.

5.Be a good guest. keep your living quarters clean,do the dishes in the sink,wash the bathtub and scrub the toilet you use.launder your bedsheets .if you are female and they have little kids,ask if you can help bathe the children.When the madam is cooking,stay with her in the kitchen and help with washing and cutting up things.Offer to cook the food.

6 Don't give out their house number or worst still cell phone numbers to everyone you know and have their phone ringing off the hook at odd times of the day and night.That is very irritating and upsetting Be mindful of the time difference and tell people what time they can call you and limit the number. If they are around,keep the conversation short.
Be respectful,it is their home.Plan on getting a "pay as you go phone" as soon you come.
You can get an unlimited plan with Internet for $60 a month and free activation.cheapest phone about $30-$60.
You can choose to buy cards to reload the phone for less but be mindful that the plans here charge you airtime where her you call or receive a call.
I advise my guests to get the unlimited plan.

[b]7.i don't wish to be condescending but many Nigerians don't use deodorants under their armsPlease that is a no no.
[/b]buy a stick of deodorant,it only costs $3.99 and one can last a few weeks.use it daily.
The smell of someone without a deodorant is nauseating.You may not smell it but others can.This may be a reason people may want you out sooner than you can get out,you may be stinking up their home.

I will add others,anyone who has hosted guests should feel free to add others

4 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
Rauly,put the post in quotes .

So how do you find America so far?
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2014
Quote? Such that it won't be editable right?
America has been fun ma'am, stable power supply, cheap foods and wears etc.
The roadways here have a lot of interchanges and traffic light,I'm liking it so far.
If I may ask, which state are you in ma'am?

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 11, 2014
rauly: Quote? Such that it won't be editable right?
America has been fun ma'am, stable power supply, cheap foods and wears etc.
The roadways here have a lot of interchanges and traffic light,I'm liking it so far.
If I may ask, which state are you in ma'am?

Texas
You will like it
Did you come on an immigrant visa? If you did ,that is an added blessing
Many people were not that fortunate
To get green card,na another round of prayer and fasting on it's own
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 11, 2014
Everything is bigger in Texas
Smh
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 11, 2014
CFCfan: Everything is bigger in Texas
Smh

Including the babes
Big women
We are warmth in the winter and shade in the summer
Advantage all year round
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 11, 2014
Babymama1:

Including the babes
Big women
We are warmth in the winter and shade in the summer
Advantage all year round
Chai! The women are voloptuous?
Me likey

1 Like

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 7:37pm On Jul 11, 2014
Babymama1:
Texas
You will like it
Did you come on an immigrant visa? If you did ,that is an added blessing
Many people were not that fortunate
To get green card,na another round of prayer and fasting on it's own
I might come there someday.
Yeah, Diversity Visa.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2014
rauly:
I might come there someday.
Yeah, Diversity Visa.

Good for you
No matter who your host is,just know you are already on a time clock
Determine to be independent ASAP
As soon as you get situated and find a job ,find another young man to share an apartment with and take charge of your freedom
Get yourself involved with a nigerian community e.g Church,village group meeting etc
Good way to meet people
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by rauly: 8:28pm On Jul 11, 2014
Babymama1:
Good for you
As soon as you get situated and find a job ,find another young man to share an apartment with and take charge of your freedom
Get yourself involved with a nigerian community e.g Church,village group meeting etc
Good way to meet people
Alright.
Thanks for the advise ma'am.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 1:55am On Jul 12, 2014
Moi moi and Ijebu garri for dinner

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Marriott1980(m): 2:17am On Jul 12, 2014
Babymama1:

Good for you
Good way to meet people

Babymama God bless you real good cos I always benefit so much from your threads. As a Nigerian living in America I don't really like mixing with Nigerians cos I believe we gossip a lot and tend to do competition as regards who is making it more than who....I haven't stayed long in America but ive seen a lot and Nigerians here have done a lot of bad to me.....Well I hope one day I will write my memoir about my American experience and share my testimony cos what takes others 10years to achieve in America I did in 7months all thanks to God.
Don't let me bore you with stories but I hope to meet you one day soon as I should be starting my masters in Texas next year when I come back from the army.
Keep up the good work maam and God bless you and your family.

2 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 2:26am On Jul 12, 2014
Marriott1980:

Babymama God bless you real good cos I always benefit so much from your threads. As a Nigerian living in America I don't really like mixing with Nigerians cos I believe we gossip a lot and tend to do competition as regards who is making it more than who....I haven't stayed long in America but ive seen a lot and Nigerians here have done a lot of bad to me.....Well I hope one day I will write my memoir about my American experience and share my testimony cos what takes others 10years to achieve in America I did in 7months all thanks to God.
Don't let me bore you with stories but I hope to meet you one day soon as I should be starting my masters in Texas next year when I come back from the army.
Keep up the good work maam and God bless you and your family.

Wow,coming to Texas next year
God bless you.wonderful testimony.God keep you safe at your post.
Don't give up on Nigerians
Nobody will love or care for you in this foreign land like your own people in your time of need
In good times and in bad,your people will be there as long as you choose the right ones.
Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by shakol91(m): 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2014
@ BabyMama I was in Sacramento, CA last month for a two months intensive training with the California Highway Patrol. Interestingly, we had a course named "Accident Investigation" and I want to study it further. So, I want to know if with this,I can apply to further this course in US. Mind you it is a "certificate course"not M.sc so my fear is that,I don't know maybe embassy grant Visa for certificate courses. On the long run,I will like to have this certificate added to my B.sc and with my Nigeria working experience apply for a Job in the State. Please I need all members of this thread to contribute

2 Likes

Re: My Random Pictures ( after the nairaland wipe out) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2014
No be me cook am o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Skills Can One Learn Before Moving Into Canada? / Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited / Businesses, Arts Inspired By The Lagos Transport System - AutoReportNG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.