Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (820044 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by susanharris11: 9:44pm On Aug 13, 2015
And Sir: I have one more query that is in need of your assistance.

Normally during an interview, most of the decisions are based on interviewing with the applicants or you do analyzing their biometric data, conducting security checks, etc and then deciding whether they can be issued visa or not?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:53am On Aug 14, 2015
lastbono:
Hello VO please can someone go to the embassy for interview with two different invitations for two different conferences taking place in two different months?

Hello lastbono,

Calm down - no need to ask your question twice in such short succession. Yes, our B1/B2 visitors from Nigeria are generally given two year visas which would allow you to visit the United States multiple times. Therefore, going to two events (or more) is understandable. Being transparent about all of your travel plans will make things easier for you and for us.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:00am On Aug 14, 2015
susanharris11:
Hello Sir. Thank you so much for what you 've done in this forum and specifically in this thread. I would like to have one question:

I am currently applying to be trainee in the U.S in hospitality. I have got accepted by a resort in California and on my way to wait for DS2019 document to arrive from an U.S sponsor company. I hope to bring my husband on a J2 visa. However, several people went on J1 visa before said it is best to go separately, and married candicates on J1 visa often are denied by the U.S consulate or embassy. Is it true that married people are harder to go in J1 visa than in other visa category, sir? What advice do you have for us to be both able to pass the interview and go to the States? I have been to the U.S on B1/B2 visa and other countries, but my husband havent travelled anywhere yet.

Thank you so much! And I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan

Hello Susan,

As we said before, we don't give odds on the likelihood of getting a visa, and we don't coach applicants. If your husband is interested in doing a J1 exchange, he should apply for one as well. If not, then perhaps a J2 is more appropriate. When it comes to the interview, just be honest.

We use a variety of tools to protect our borders and citizens. If you have something in your past you are concerned about, best to be forthcoming with that information at the start of the interview. If it becomes clear (and it will) that you are concealing information from the consular officer, this is enough of a reason for them to question your visa candidacy as a whole.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by cool007: 9:48am On Aug 14, 2015
Gd-morning all

Pls i have completed filling the d-16 form (the next thing is just to sign and submit it)but i cant seem to find where to upload my photograph.

Also if a wife wants to accompany her husband to a conference, what category of visa would she apply for?

Thank you very urgent
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by kunzak: 12:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
dear VO,

i missed my appointment because my husband had an important trip from work , can we still reschedule even when we missed ?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Dovent: 9:54pm On Aug 14, 2015
Hello VO
I have 2 two years US visa which I used May, 2015 this year for a conference. I still have 1 year 6months left on my visa. I am planing to take my family for vacation in December and i am sponsoring it. These are my questions:
1. Will I be allowed to go in and answer question for my family as the main sponsor of our trip even when I don't have an appointment letter.
2. Will they accept church marriage cert as legal marriage cert. We wedded 10yrs ago.
3. We are planning to go in December, can we apply now so we can have enough time to plan?
Kindly help answer the questions above, thanks for creating time for us on this forum.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Step84(m): 11:20pm On Aug 14, 2015
Dear VO, we really appreciate ur good job here, more help to your elbow. I came to US on a b2 visa for a conference nd during d conference I realised I have to stay for study because I met my child hood friend during d conference. Please my question is, what can I do to make it possible for me to stay for study without violating US rules? I will appreciate ur prompt response pls
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by chinelo5: 6:29am On Aug 15, 2015
Good day VO and thanks for all your assistance. My question is, our (husband and myself) visa will soon expire and we both qualify for the Dropbox option. We live in Port Harcourt and I'm aware there's a DHL Dropbox address. Do we have to fill the application form online as we did the first time or just take our passport and supporting documents to the drop off location? Our visas are B1/B2. We were issued the 2year visas the first time we applied without the VO looking at any of the "huge" file of documents we took along.
Do we just go and drop off our application or apply online? Please note that the online application only provides Lagos and Abuja as interview locations in Nigeria.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OsyCollins(m): 10:20pm On Aug 15, 2015
abujaniv:

Hello Elivsabo,

A consular officer will not ask why you were refused a visa to the United States; we can read about your prior interviews through our system... was there another question?

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

@ABUJANIV.
Good day, my wife & I were given B1/B2 visa for vacation as we intended to mark our wedding anniversary in the US. But, we couldn't go at the time cos I was unavoidably busy @work (due to transition in govt) . Right now she intends to deliver our baby in the US & she was not asked about pregnancy during interview (though we weren't considering US childbirth then, as we were more focused on a project). My question is does she need to inform the embassy of the additional intention of childbirth or she should just go ahead and explain it out @ the POE. I have heard of those who wrote the embassy on that getting responses like "you don't have to notify the embassy, the POE determines?". I am not going with her immediately as I have a few things to sort here that may be time-bound, but I will surely join her later.

Thanks for the good job & enjoy the weekend.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
cool007:
Gd-morning all

Pls i have completed filling the d-16 form (the next thing is just to sign and submit it)but i cant seem to find where to upload my photograph.

Also if a wife wants to accompany her husband to a conference, what category of visa would she apply for?

Thank you very urgent

Hello cool007,

Bring a photo with you to the appointment and we'll associate it with your application. Spouses accompanying for a conference would fall into B1/B2.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
Dovent:
Hello VO
I have 2 two years US visa which I used May, 2015 this year for a conference. I still have 1 year 6months left on my visa. I am planing to take my family for vacation in December and i am sponsoring it. These are my questions:
1. Will I be allowed to go in and answer question for my family as the main sponsor of our trip even when I don't have an appointment letter.
2. Will they accept church marriage cert as legal marriage cert. We wedded 10yrs ago.
3. We are planning to go in December, can we apply now so we can have enough time to plan?
Kindly help answer the questions above, thanks for creating time for us on this forum.

Hello Dovent,

1. Only applicants are allowed to attend interviews, unless the applicants are minors or in need of assistance.
2. Such documents are not required for a tourist visa but you are welcome to bring what you have.
3. You should apply as soon as possible!

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
Step84:
Dear VO, we really appreciate ur good job here, more help to your elbow. I came to US on a b2 visa for a conference nd during d conference I realised I have to stay for study because I met my child hood friend during d conference. Please my question is, what can I do to make it possible for me to stay for study without violating US rules? I will appreciate ur prompt response pls

Hello Step84,

You must come back to Nigeria (or another United States Consulate/Embassy) and apply for a student visa if you wish to study in the United States.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:36pm On Aug 17, 2015
chinelo5:
Good day VO and thanks for all your assistance. My question is, our (husband and myself) visa will soon expire and we both qualify for the Dropbox option. We live in Port Harcourt and I'm aware there's a DHL Dropbox address. Do we have to fill the application form online as we did the first time or just take our passport and supporting documents to the drop off location? Our visas are B1/B2. We were issued the 2year visas the first time we applied without the VO looking at any of the "huge" file of documents we took along.
Do we just go and drop off our application or apply online? Please note that the online application only provides Lagos and Abuja as interview locations in Nigeria.
Thank you.

Hello chinelo5,

Several things:
1) Yes, apply online and drop off your passport with confirmation page to DHL in Port Harcourt. Learn more here --> http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-visarenew.asp
2) We do not require additional documents for our interviews so you shouldn't be surprised that we didn't ask to see them!
3) Lagos and Abuja are the only places where we do visa interviews. If it is determined that an interview is needed to adjudicate your case, you must decide now which location is most convenient for you.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
OsyCollins:

@ABUJANIV.
Good day, my wife & I were given B1/B2 visa for vacation as we intended to mark our wedding anniversary in the US. But, we couldn't go at the time cos I was unavoidably busy @work (due to transition in govt) . Right now she intends to deliver our baby in the US & she was not asked about pregnancy during interview (though we weren't considering US childbirth then, as we were more focused on a project). My question is does she need to inform the embassy of the additional intention of childbirth or she should just go ahead and explain it out @ the POE. I have heard of those who wrote the embassy on that getting responses like "you don't have to notify the embassy, the POE determines?". I am not going with her immediately as I have a few things to sort here that may be time-bound, but I will surely join her later.

Thanks for the good job & enjoy the weekend.

Hello OsyCollins,

You do not need to inform the embassy. I would strongly encourage you to travel with your communication with your American health care provider, evidence of funds to pay for treatment in full, and supporting information for your purpose of travel. Make sure that you do not accept any public assistance and pay all fees. Keep the receipts and your itemized hospital bill. Accepting public assistance or misrepresenting your purpose of travel can result in serious consequences, including revoking your visa and permanent bar from entering the United States. Be transparent at the port of entry, and everything will go much smoother.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by akanjay4321: 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
Dear VO,
I had my interview for a tourist visa at the Lagos Consulate General on 5th August where I was told that my visa was approved and to go for collection in 2 business days. It has now been 8 business days and I am yet to receive my passport. The online tracking responded that my passport is still with the US Embassy/Consulate.
I have tried to call the Consulate but was told that the non-immigrant section does not receive calls but I should email them at LagosNIV@state.gov
I have emailed them but I'm yet to receive a reply. I did not even get an auto-response so I'm not confident that my email was even received by them. I am really confused as to what might be responsible for the delay in issuance of my visa. Please can you advise me of any alternate means of contacting the Consulate?
Thank you for your help.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by mscindee: 10:41pm On Aug 17, 2015
Hello
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by mscindee: 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2015
I
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by akanjay4321: 11:00am On Aug 18, 2015
akanjay4321:
Dear VO,
I had my interview for a tourist visa at the Lagos Consulate General on 5th August where I was told that my visa was approved and to go for collection in 2 business days. It has now been 8 business days and I am yet to receive my passport. The online tracking responded that my passport is still with the US Embassy/Consulate.
I have tried to call the Consulate but was told that the non-immigrant section does not receive calls but I should email them at LagosNIV@state.gov
I have emailed them but I'm yet to receive a reply. I did not even get an auto-response so I'm not confident that my email was even received by them. I am really confused as to what might be responsible for the delay in issuance of my visa. Please can you advise me of any alternate means of contacting the Consulate?
Thank you for your help.

Dear VO,
I today received a response from lagosNIV stating that my visa is not ready and some applications take longer to process than anticipated.
Does this mean my application is undergoing administrative processing? I was not given any slip stating administrative processing at the interview I was only told visa approved go for collection in two days.
How do I find out a time frame within which my visa will be ready, my travel date is fast approaching...
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by suxes2005(m): 1:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hello VO,

My friend's visa was cancelled without prejudice

So, he re-applied few weeks ago and was asked to
expect a call once all checks has been done.

The DHS sent two letters to him which was collected
at the interview.

We checked the status on the visa status page
and it showed issued

After a month, he was called to come for pick up
but was told the person to check his app wasn't around.

At the end of two additional weeks, he got his
passport but the visa was refused - because he didn't
answer question well at the interview !

The visa was cancelled because of mis-information
school resumed a week prior to his arrival.

I'll like to know if he should schedule a fresh interview
date or if there is something else he can do as regards this

Student visa case

Thanks

MODIFIED: I just discovered there was an error in the
earlier DS160 that was checked. I think it wasn't issued initially.

Is there something else he can do as regards his visa?

Visa was approved during the interview but was later
turned down because he did not answer his interview
questions well
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
@abujaNIV
Hello VO,

I am well aware that u don't respond to individual cases so I'll try to generalize my question. Are there instances when an applicant was refused a visit visa, and there was no reason for refusal letter to back it up even wen the applicant specifically asked. his has happened on two different occasions, Kindly shed light into situations like this. Thank u as I await your response
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Sconty09(m): 8:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dear Visa officer, I apply for a visiting visa last April this year to travel with my wife and baby who're both american citizens but was denied based on the fact that i'm not working presently here in Abu Dhabi,UAE where we live now. I have a company and registered business of over 10yrs in Lagos and still runs today but we moved here three years ago when she got a job as lecturer in the university and I hope to open another company as quickly as i would like but the process and conditions of new company here is not like we have back home,it takes a lot so i'm presently not working and that was reason my visa was denied in spite of having two american citizens in my family, he advised i should not re apply until my situation change. my application was basically without full documents as i would not apply here using my Nigerian business documents and i have heard friend who married american wife like me denied a visa in Abu Dhabi and he had to go back to Jordan(american embassy)in his country to apply before he was granted a visa,he has two daughters who re american citizen and his wife.

What do you suggests i do in my case?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by pinkup15: 1:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
Dear VO
great Job you are doing here, i must confess
1. sequel to this post, i felt B2 was for tourism as B1/B2 kept showing ''business'' yet i intend going on holiday. i have paid visa fees and booked interview for B2. have i done wrong
2. few friends i have claim their DS160 asked them about present employment, past employment & school. i am worried mine only asked for present employment. As such, i have not submitted my DS160 online. i am 34yrs & single. is there an anomaly in the system or all is well with my ds160

abujaniv:

Hello adesojiaderemi,

The correct visa for tourism/visiting is a B1/B2.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Kemo88: 2:40pm On Aug 19, 2015
Hello Visa Officer,
I have had a 2-year b1/b2 visa issued twice(last one expired in 2013 November) I have also had an F1 visa issued which expires next month. In addition I have an EAD card(OPT issued in June) I left the US in June because I found I job in Nigeria and I love being close to my family. However, I have a conference to attend in November in Newyork and would like to attend.
1) is it ok to apply for a B1/B2 since my purpose of travel is just to attend the conference? Because I don't want to go into
The US with my EAD card as that would be dishonest, since I'm not going to work.
2) I know I'm eligible for a dropbox, do I still need to fill out a DS160 or is there any other form I need to fill. Can you walk me through the process of the dropbox. (I have searched online and still don't get it)
3) I hope I wouldn't be confusing the embassy cos I have a valid F1, valid EAD yet I want a B1/B2 because the purpose of my travel is just for the conference? FYI : I am not using the F1 or EAD cos I decided to relocate back to Nigeria after being done with my studies.
Could you advice me generally?

Thanks,
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Kemo88: 2:42pm On Aug 19, 2015
@abujaniv
Hello Visa Officer,
I have had a 2-year b1/b2 visa issued twice(last one expired in 2013 November) I have also had an F1 visa issued which expires next month. In addition I have an EAD card(OPT issued in June) I left the US in June because I found I job in Nigeria and I love being close to my family. However, I have a conference to attend in November in Newyork and would like to attend.
1) is it ok to apply for a B1/B2 since my purpose of travel is just to attend the conference? Because I don't want to go into
The US with my EAD card as that would be dishonest, since I'm not going to work.
2) I know I'm eligible for a dropbox, do I still need to fill out a DS160 or is there any other form I need to fill. Can you walk me through the process of the dropbox. (I have searched online and still don't get it)
3) I hope I wouldn't be confusing the embassy cos I have a valid F1, valid EAD yet I want a B1/B2 because the purpose of my travel is just for the conference? FYI : I am not using the F1 or EAD cos I decided to relocate back to Nigeria after being done with my studies.
Could you advice me generally?

Thanks,
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2015
akanjay4321:
Dear VO,
Thank you for your help.

E-mail is the only way to reach them. If you haven't heard back, feel free to send another e-mail. We get thousands of e-mails every day and there might have been some kind of error in receiving yours.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 19, 2015
mscindee:
I have a few more questions to ask;
1.) can I schedule my interview to be in Lagos? If yes, where?
2.) what are the required documents to carry along, I am a student and single.
3.) what support documents should I get from my sponsor.
4.) how long does it take to schedule an appointment?

You can find the answers to all of your questions on the U.S. Embassy's website: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
akanjay4321:

Dear VO,
I today received a response from lagosNIV stating that my visa is not ready and some applications take longer to process than anticipated.
Does this mean my application is undergoing administrative processing? I was not given any slip stating administrative processing at the interview I was only told visa approved go for collection in two days.
How do I find out a time frame within which my visa will be ready, my travel date is fast approaching...
Thanks.

There is no way to tell how long administrative processing will take - we don't know ourselves. If you need to pick up your passport to travel somewhere else then you are welcome to contact the U.S. Consulate.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2015
suxes2005:
Hello VO,

My friend's visa was cancelled without prejudice

So, he re-applied few weeks ago and was asked to
expect a call once all checks has been done.

The DHS sent two letters to him which was collected
at the interview.

We checked the status on the visa status page
and it showed issued

After a month, he was called to come for pick up
but was told the person to check his app wasn't around.

At the end of two additional weeks, he got his
passport but the visa was refused - because he didn't
answer question well at the interview !

The visa was cancelled because of mis-information
school resumed a week prior to his arrival.

I'll like to know if he should schedule a fresh interview
date or if there is something else he can do as regards this

Student visa case

Thanks

MODIFIED: I just discovered there was an error in the
earlier DS160 that was checked. I think it wasn't issued initially.

Is there something else he can do as regards his visa?

Visa was approved during the interview but was later
turned down because he did not answer his interview
questions well

If the visa was issued initially and later refused it probably wasn't because he "did not answer his interview questions well." It's probably because he concealed information that came to light afterwards. Your friend is welcome to re-apply but he should strongly consider whether the information provided was accurate and/or he has had any other experiences which might disqualify him for the U.S. visa.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 19, 2015
mimzy:
@abujaNIV
Hello VO,

I am well aware that u don't respond to individual cases so I'll try to generalize my question. Are there instances when an applicant was refused a visit visa, and there was no reason for refusal letter to back it up even wen the applicant specifically asked. his has happened on two different occasions, Kindly shed light into situations like this. Thank u as I await your response

As the generic letter states, you were probably refused under section 214(b) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. As a matter of policy, we don't give applicants specific reasons - we aren't here to coach people through the visa process when they aren't qualified.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 19, 2015
Sconty09:
Dear Visa officer, I apply for a visiting visa last April this year to travel with my wife and baby who're both american citizens but was denied based on the fact that i'm not working presently here in Abu Dhabi,UAE where we live now. I have a company and registered business of over 10yrs in Lagos and still runs today but we moved here three years ago when she got a job as lecturer in the university and I hope to open another company as quickly as i would like but the process and conditions of new company here is not like we have back home,it takes a lot so i'm presently not working and that was reason my visa was denied in spite of having two american citizens in my family, he advised i should not re apply until my situation change. my application was basically without full documents as i would not apply here using my Nigerian business documents and i have heard friend who married american wife like me denied a visa in Abu Dhabi and he had to go back to Jordan(american embassy)in his country to apply before he was granted a visa,he has two daughters who re american citizen and his wife.

What do you suggests i do in my case?

... I would suggest that you not re-apply until your situation changes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (229)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.