Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,621 members, 7,809,290 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Choice and consequence. A Short Story - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Choice and consequence. A Short Story (3865 Views)

The Murder Case- A short story / The Blame Switch - A Short Story / Life's Symphony: A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 9:48pm On Jul 04, 2014

All afternoon, I tried to speak with either Charles or his father but it was an exercise in futility. Finally by 6.45pm, I was able to reach Charles. He sounded out of breath like a jogger who just finished a course. ''I apologise my brother, I got your message and you can trust, I've been on this issue ever since.''

''Charles, it's still like a dream'' I cried out in frustration. ''The annoying aspect was her refusal to expatiate on the unfavourable referee. It's not fair now, you check am.''

''I can imagine how you feel but you must realize there is a limit those people can cross. She may wish to tell you more but at the end of the day, she has to play by the book. If she misyarn, she is on her own plus popsie has to be careful too because there is conflict of interest'' he concluded.

While I appreciated all these explanation, it was doing nothing for me. ''But you be my person, so I expect you to be honest with me'' I said in anger. ''Which referee be that?''
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 9:55pm On Jul 04, 2014
There was a pause from the other end before he spoke up ''Ferdinand, it has nothing to do with your reference. I shouldn't be saying this but I would speak to you like the brother you are. I am going to try and make it clear without talking too much. Guy, it is the medicals. I want you to go to a reputable hospital, preferably a Government Hospital and run some tests. I hope you understand me?

I was quiet for a minute ''are you there? Ferdinand are you there?'' I heard Charles ask a second time. I am a Nigerian and I was not born yesterday. I've heard tales like this and it only meant one thing. It was a surreal experience; I was transported to a land far far away. I was on La La land, on a meadow somewhere and birds were flying around my head and chirping in my ear. The grass beneath my feet was green and soft and I could hear the voice of children yelling in a distance. I wanted to sink my knee on the grass, lie down and rest my weary legs. Suddenly, my knees hit the ground and I was back in my living room, clutching my handset while sweat poured out from my palm and my face.

''My brother I am here o, I nor run enter anywhere. I am going to ask one more question and I beseech you to answer me'' I said, fighting the tears until I was done with my business. ''Charles is it the big one? My friend, please don’t lie to me, is it the big one?''

''That is what they are saying'' he answered with a note of finality. I could hear the sadness and pity in his voice. They reached out from his end and hugged me in a tight embrace. What am I going to do? Where did this come from? What would I tell Abike? I am dead!

''Thanks Charles. Say me well to your Madam and the baby.''

''Ferdinand please listen to me, I can't stress this enough, you must take the test again. There are stories of people's results being mixed up. Can you hear…''

I hung up and stared at my hands, they were shaking badly. My life flashed before me in a second as I remembered every reckless act I had been involved in, that would have lead to me here. I thought about my wife, my unborn child, my aged mother, my brothers who were still relying on me, and even my late father. God save me, I hear this disease has no cure but can be managed, if treatment is commenced on time. How long have I had it? What year did I serve again? God help me, I am just 34years old. Suddenly, something on the ground caught my eyes and an idea formed in my head. I picked my red tie from the floor and eyed the ceiling fan.

1 Like

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by missuniverse(f): 2:50am On Jul 05, 2014
embarassedOMG!
dis is a dream,yes;t must be a dream

or maybe i'm nt reading clearly
Touch dear,plz remind me to read ur update directly above myn wen its dawn
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by Coolval22com: 8:34am On Jul 05, 2014
touchmeder: Ok so this was where we stopped the last time, now we continue.
sent you a mail
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 10:11am On Jul 05, 2014
miss universe: embarassedOMG!
dis is a dream,yes;t must be a dream

or maybe i'm nt reading clearly
Touch dear,plz remind me to read ur update directly above myn wen its dawn
LOL, you've given me a nice idea. I can wake him from a nap but erhh its not my thing. I'm more of a dark and somber writer. I'd rather kill his character sef. Lol
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 10:15pm On Jul 06, 2014
I packed my car in the usual spot and slowly got out. It was 9.30pm and I had just returned from a hospital in another part of town. I was scared, confused and very worried but there was no way I was going to sleep without doing something about the information I received earlier. I had driven for an hour before I settled for this hospital. It was large, well lit from outside and it looked like a reputable place. A nurse on duty conducted a rapid HIV test where my blood was taken by a single prick on my finger and she confirmed what I had heard earlier. Thereafter she commenced another round of counselling but I didn’t hear a word. She advised me to return the following day when a more comprehensive test would be carried out. She smiled at me and spoke in a hushed tone. I could not detect pity in her voice, just concern and somehow that made me feel a lot better.

As I approached my entrance, I heard a neighbour call out my name in greeting. It was Baba Kasamu, the friendly pastor who always spoke Yoruba with Abike. He was a nice man but not one I would call an acquaintance, let alone a friend. However tonight, I felt like running into his house and pouring out my soul but I had to be sane here. I walked along the flight of stairs leading to our home and held the railing for support. It was something I never did because I didn’t like to think of the number of germs, left by people who touched it but today I didn’t care. I paused and stood outside my door for nearly 10minutes before I summoned enough courage and knocked but I heard nothing. I knocked again and again but was met with dead silence. Abike had not returned? Then I let myself in with my key and waited for the arrival of my wife.

Abike got home by 11.15pm that night. I sat on the couch in the parlour waiting for her return; she had never been this late but I already knew why. Coincidentally, she had her first major appointment today at the General Hospital. She pushed the door aside and turned on the light. I squinted and put my hand above my eyes. I noticed her eyes were blood shoot and puffy.

''I've been waiting for you all night'' I said slowly. ''I was sick with worry. This is Lagos and you can't be out on your own, walking around this late.

''I was at the church by the corner'' she answered. ''I needed someone to talk to; the pastor is good, very good.''

I began to panic; the only church by the corner was a white garment church and the wife I knew on a good day, would never ever make her way there. We are only on day one and see what depression and frustration has strolled in with? ''Abike we need to talk'' I said and motioned for her to sit on a chair.

''What is there to talk about again?'' she asked walking in my direction. She placed a piece of paper on the table and walked away. I didn’t have to open it because I knew the content. She returned with a glass of water and urged me on ''come on open it, go ahead and feast your eyes Oki. You know what, I think you are right. We need to talk. Yes, that’s right. How many girls have you slept with this man?''
I shook my head and tried to speak but something was stuck in my throat. I cleared my throat and tried again as hot tears poured down my eyes. She was never going to believe me even if a host of angels confirmed it.

''Save your crocodile tears Ferdinand and answer my question.''

''Abike, if I say I've only had sex with two women on earth would you believe me? Since I said my vows, I've known no other woman but you. I've been down this route with you a thousand times but how is this going to help us tonight? You and that lady from the village are the onl…''

She spat at my feet and cried out ''I loathe you! I despise you with all of my heart and with everything within me. I curse the day I set my eyes on you. I curse the day I agreed to be your wife. You lead me down the slippery path to hell and now an innocent life has been roped in. How do I get out of this mess? Look me in the eye and say something like a man!''

''I am sorry you feel this way Abike. I wish I could go back in time and change certain things. I am so sorry I caused this pain and I would never forgive myself if anything happens to our child. I would give my life to reverse your result, if only it will make this thing go away. I even contemplated suicide but how can I leave you with this burden and take the easy route? What sort of man would I be if I did that? What do you want me to do? You don’t want to know how my day has been. I lost my job on account of this and I've not being myself.''

She dropped the glass and it shattered to a thousand pieces. She moved closer and put her hands around my collar then twisted her hand around ''how your day has been? You think I care about that? You want to hang abi, stand on that stool and allow me kick it before your neck snaps. Step on the stool and be my guest then. I am the innocent person here…'' At this point she choked on her words and began to howl ''I am the one who stayed by your side playing the dutiful girlfriend and wife. I am the one who got married as a virgin on her wedding night and has remained faithful till this day. No man has seen my nake dness but you. And what do I get from you in return? You think I or my seed deserve HIV?'' She began screaming with tears streaming down her eyes.

She raised me to my feet and we spun around like two idol worshippers dancing to a feverish tune. It was the beat of calamity and the unseen drummers played the drums with such fervour. She continued sobbing while I starred on with tears flowing freely down my face. Finally, I held her wrist and pushed her hands away ''I am sorry I brought this on you but it's not like I hid it from you - I swear on the grave of my father. I would never do this knowingly and you know it.''

''I know nothing!'' She screamed shattering the still night. ''I don’t know you or what you are capable of doing. However, I know one thing - Oki, you have ruined me. You promised me heaven on earth and though I have seen more of hell, yet I stuck by your side. You pulled me down from a high pedestal, ripped out my heart and blessed me with HIV. May God judge you harshly for the wrong you have done to me.''

''Abike, I am sorry but don’t forget I heard about this today just like you. Apparently this thing has been there without my knowledge. I may be many things, but I never dragged you down that aisle. I loved you, I still do and I believe you loved me in return. You could have walked away after the incident at the village but you chose to remain with me. You did that because you believed in what we shared. You fought for our relationship and decided to stay put; now we need to work together as a family and forge ahead.''

She stepped back like she was about to leave but then lunged forward with a sound slap and a doomsday announcement.

''I will be returning to my parents first thing tomorrow and woe betide you if you come after me.''

1 Like

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by Eve4eva(f): 10:18pm On Jul 07, 2014
Gobe
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 11:15pm On Jul 07, 2014

It has been four years and the storm has long settled or so I'd like think. Every day I count my many blessings and try not to complain. Sometimes I wonder why God gave me another chance and I weep when I think of his grace. What did I do to deserve his mercy and the love of my wife Abike? I am more in touch with my spiritual side but I'd like to think I made this decision because I wanted to and not because of my status.

My daughter, Olasimbo is as healthy as a horse! We complained and nearly terminated the pregnancy but the doctors at the General Hospital were amazing. The support group was particularly helpful especially in the early days. I never believed it was possible to live with this disease but those people proved that it was. Abike's viral load was particularly low - so low the doctors said it was nearly undetectable. She was immediately placed on Anti-Retroviral Treatment and the result is a healthy child. Olasimbo was born negative and I cannot ask for anything else. We complain so much about our doctors in this country but the vast majority are brilliant and would actually do more, if only they are given the right tools and an enabling environment. Are these not the same individuals that go abroad and become a force to be reckoned with?

These days, I am not ashamed as I once was, but I can understand Abike's reluctance and respect her wish to keep a low profile. I volunteer at the support group and give lectures whenever I get the chance. I may turn down some lectures due to prior commitment and work, but there is one I can never say no to - NYSC orientation camp. I always attend and give my talk but at the end of the day, you can never force these young ones, you only hope they do the right thing when the opportunity presents itself.

My greatest joy is seeing the look of optimism in the faces of people who have just been diagnosed with this virus after a group meeting. To see that weary smile, the spark in their eyes, the determination to go on, regardless of their newly discovered status. That is the reason I continue to volunteer regardless of the stigma or discrimination. It is my hope that someday we would be a society that is less critical and more supportive. Until then, I take one step at a time. I strongly believe if I die today, I would be content with my life but Abike scolds me anytime I say this. Oh well, the doctor say our viral load is still low and we have nothing to fear if we continue like this. We have learnt to adjust to our new life style and everyday it gets easier. We are thinking of another baby but like nearly everything with our life, we have to plan, plan and plan some more. We don’t have the luxury to be spontaneous like most couples out there but again I would not complain.

My motto is simple: today will be better than yesterday. I have it on my windscreen, fridge and on the bakery door. Oh yes we own a bakery! Abike is amazing I must confess. Once in a while, she organises baking classes and we always record a full house. She comes up with the most amazing and intricate designs and leaves me to work on the account, bread, delivery and fondant - her least favourite job. I don’t do the hard work myself - goodness no. I allow the young men pull and stretch while I supervise. We have been on a few training courses abroad and I reckon it's time we got that fondant machine. There is not a weekend that goes by without an order but I make sure she never works like a beaver. I still miss the regular office job but running a successful business beats that I promise! Try it and don’t forget Ferdinand said so.

THE END

1 Like

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 11:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
This story is dedicated to everyone living with the virus, to those that are gone and those affected by it. Shout out to everyone that keeps taking risks but pray they are fine, shout out to the cheating folks and their partners who know (or perhaps don't know) but turn a blind eye. Shout out to the runs girls, who have refused to change but keep making plans to repent. Shout out to the innocent folks who have lived a seemingly innocent life but one day discover they are infected. Shout out to everyone who read and encouraged. As someone who began devoting time to my writing this year, every encouragement was like a rush of adrenaline. Later folks…
UOS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by Timothy3113(m): 8:07am On Jul 08, 2014
Well done

1 Like

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by orbie11(f): 5:13pm On Jul 08, 2014
Beautiful Story, Nice Plot, Great lesson. You are an amazing writer. Keep it up and Thanks for making my day(s).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by frleopardo: 7:42pm On Jul 08, 2014
[b][/b][color=#006600][/color] nice one,bro

1 Like

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by alizenbohr: 12:56am On Jul 09, 2014
Touching ending. Great story.
Welldone.
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by kweenkong(f): 11:23am On Jul 09, 2014
Wonderful narrative, i swear ,it almost felt like i was an invisible observer in Ferdinands life.
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by Adebolade(m): 12:22pm On Jul 09, 2014
grin shocked thank you! God bless you! grin grin I'm so contented [color=#770077][/color]
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2014
kweenkong: Wonderful narrative, i swear ,it almost felt like i was an invisible observer in Ferdinands life.
Ohhhhhhh thank you that's the way I felt too. I nearly didn't want him to have d HIV but that's d reality out there. Very normal 'likeable' people have dt disease. LOL
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 7:11pm On Jul 09, 2014
Adebolade: grin shocked thank you! God bless you! grin grin I'm so contented [color=#770077][/color]
Thanks Ade u wer d first 2encourage me when I nearly gave up cos I tot I was just writing for myself. LOL when u ar writing 4d 1st time on Nairaland such encouragement is priceless!

1 Like

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2014
What is gobe
Eve4eva: Gobe
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by lenmafon: 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2014
@touchmeder, ur story is so real and touchy of a truth we live with the consequences of our choices and actions. thanks for sharing this story. this means u one of our good writerz on NL. do u have other storiez? i just wish youths will learn from this truth- sex is sweeter in marriage just as God created it to be. kudos to u, u're 1daful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by teamplayey: 8:12pm On Nov 02, 2014
Wonderful story-line. God bless
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
teamplayey:
Wonderful story-line. God bless

Thanks jare.
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by systacee: 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2014
Just read this - start to finish. You, my dear writer are truly a blessing. Simply thinking of those to share this story with. May God who gave the inspiration use it to spare many the consequences of wrong choices. God bless you.
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by touchmeder: 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
systacee:
Just read this - start to finish. You, my dear writer are truly a blessing. Simply thinking of those to share this story with. May God who gave the inspiration use it to spare many the consequences of wrong choices. God bless you.

Thanks I really appreciate. You are free to send the link to friends and loved ones. What you should not do is copy the story and paste anywhere without my permission. Thanks once again.
Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by gal10(f): 5:45am On Nov 22, 2014
Wow.. Just started reading this today... Touchmeder u are good... This is so sweet.. I love

2 Likes

Re: Choice and consequence. A Short Story by systacee: 12:08am On Nov 23, 2014
touchmeder:

Thanks I really appreciate. You are free to send the link to friends and loved ones. What you should not do is copy the story and paste anywhere without my permission. Thanks once again.

Be rest assured - I can only think of sharing the link. Meanwhile, I'm seriously following 'It Will Come To You' . More inspiration to you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Pidgin Bible Translator. / A Kiss Is All It Takes (A Romantic +18 Story) / How To Write A Book On Anything In 14 Days Or Less

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.