Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child (24079 Views)

How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language? / Female Child Contesting For King In Her Mother's Side / Rude Nigeria Men: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by folible(m): 1:00pm On Jul 03, 2014
zicjoe: f**k family lineage jor
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by tconfi: 1:00pm On Jul 03, 2014
WE SHOULD REALLY DISCUSS THIS ISSUE!
AM SO SO INTERESTED!
BEING AN INVOLVED PROJECT OFFICER ON GENDER ISSUES IN NIGERIA...
PLS INCLUDE 2B1A082A
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by folible(m): 1:01pm On Jul 03, 2014
This shows which kind of family you represent
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Bigsteveg(m): 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2014
zicjoe: dnt blank me an hypocrite. Cos u dnt kno ma persn. Jus shut up or sleep. I aint no fan of (i reteirate) dat WACKED MENTALITY.

Dose words above showed a major part of ur personality, u not only seem confused, u look confused
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by folible(m): 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
FuckYou: what's u p. About such a silly question. That we all know d answer to.
Did they say female are useless.
Thank you for this answer
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by PedroJP(m): 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
Danielotuya:

we are getting there

U are getting where ?
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
[size=13pt]I prefer female kids..... infact i want just one boy, and about 3 girls...... So stop generalising[/size]
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by PedroJP(m): 1:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
chris baba: [size=13pt]I prefer female kids..... infact i want just one boy, and about 3 girls...... So stop generalising[/size]

That's d thing. What's d one boy doing there ? Ur instinct is telling u that he will b ur pride,right ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 03, 2014
It is basically a cultural thing. Nigerians are culturally blinded to the extent they have to accord more rights to a male child than a female one. It is totally a biased thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by anonymous6(f): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
because the male child carries the family surname and females don't
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Niseamaka(m): 3:14pm On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

Because a male child is believed to stay and carry on with the generation of the particular family,lineage or generation.

But a female child will marry and go to their husband's house.

Simple
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Niseamaka(m): 3:48pm On Jul 03, 2014

In my village, two families are extinct now. Why?, b/c the parents have died and the only two children, both girls, are married and living overseas with their respective families. The rooms in the building were rented out by the girls. Family name dead, lineage closed. No one is against female children.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by abbakacici: 3:51pm On Jul 03, 2014
let assumed Sam walton (walmart) has only one daughter, Ann Walton- kroenke thus in the next 20 - 30 years the company his father and himself spent more than 6 decade building will now belong to another family the Kreonkes, am not supporting the culture of male child preference especially if someone has a business to pass on, yes girls might do a better business than boys managing the company but her children will not bear your name. but some people without a male especially in the north adopted their nephew i.e if their brother has more than one male, so adopted their daughter children etc. and by the way is not all africans that want their name to live on, even the western world, people without children build schools, library museum. for example Asa Griggs Candler and John Pemberton still have members of their family as board members of coca-cola
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by abbakacici: 3:58pm On Jul 03, 2014
all4naija: It is basically a cultural thing. Nigerians are culturally blinded to the extent they have to accord more rights to a male child than a female one. It is totally a biased thing to do.
Dads love female child more than male, but prefer male to female. what is means if someone has both gender the female enjoy the most, thus the name dad's girl
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 03, 2014
Pedro JP:

That's d thing. What's d one boy doing there ? Ur instinct is telling u that he will b ur pride,right ?

[size=13pt]No, just for balance. if theres no boy all good. its not a big deal at all!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 9:57pm On Jul 03, 2014
Niseamaka:

In my village, two families are extinct now. Why?, b/c the parents have died and the only two children, both girls, are married and living overseas with their respective families. The rooms in the building were rented out by the girls. Family name dead, lineage closed. No one is against female children.
does d dead parents kno what lineage is. We disturb our selves wit tins dat doesnt matter.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 10:05pm On Jul 03, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Dose words above showed a major part of ur personality, u not only seem confused, u look confused
every one is entitled to his own opinion. If my opinion seems to make me a confused persn. Ur opinion shows u ar a retard
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Bigsteveg(m): 11:07pm On Jul 03, 2014
zicjoe: every one is entitled to his own opinion. If my opinion seems to make me a confused persn. Ur opinion shows u ar a retard

Hahaha ode
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 11:46pm On Jul 03, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Hahaha ode
tnks
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by tosyne2much(m): 12:35am On Jul 04, 2014
I believe it is d nature of our culture dat causes it... I'd say d reason why it is so is simply because women ar regarded as d weaker sex... However, this dichotomy existed even in d Bible not until Jesus came and threw d Old Testament belief in d bin. If u ar very very conversant wit d Bible u wld see dat to some extent, ladies were nt equal gender.... Despite al dis, some stl pick offence in ladies preaching to them as ladies dey ar considered to be unworthy... Lookin at it frm d pre-existence, d word MAN signifies leadership, Wisdom, Strength and so on and so forth.... So I guess its happening everywhr in d world jst dat developed countries ar able to overcome it by makin favourable judgement by default in respect of ladies and as we knw dat Africans ar stl living outdated life

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by geosegun(m): 7:57am On Jul 04, 2014
Women generally are the cause of these preferences. Ask a woman if she were to have One child, which would she prefer? Mother-in-laws are mostly the trouble makers when a young family is looking for a male child. Why is that so? Women generally are confused, they are the ones that will desire something inwardly but profess another thing outside.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Bigsteveg(m): 10:27am On Jul 04, 2014
zicjoe: tnks

Ure welcum
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 04, 2014
The male child goes about bleeping the females and the Father says "Weldone son". No father say "weldone daughter for getting bleeped"
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by fairheven: 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2014
hydeka: Ask our ancestors. But I think this preference for male children is what makes many females feel that they're inferior and hence all this attempt on the part of the females to prove men wrong. That is what brought this idea of 'what a man can do a woman can do better' But I personally think that both males and females are important, it's just that we have different graces for different things. Question: If a man's ancestors had only given birth to males how would he have been born?
Its women that give themselves inferiority complex.why must u Bent on doing wt a man can do?,wy no do wt รข woman can do an leave wt a man can do,na by force?"WHAT A WOMAN CAN DO,A MAN HAS DONE BEFORE,SO WHY REPEAT IT?"
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kingston277(m): 5:03pm On Jul 04, 2014
hensben: because our culture made it so and you know, we still have those generation around, they pass it to their children but thank God for civilization, that believe is on the decrease.
Strange, civilization began 300 years ago with the nok people but that didn't cease.

So much ignorance on this thread.

smh.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kingston277(m): 7:12pm On Jul 04, 2014
myspnigeria: Blame it on our rich tradition
Always blaming something, eh?
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kingston277(m): 7:17pm On Jul 04, 2014
Danielotuya: Of cos yes! The African society gives a difference status to a male child than a female. Bt westernizatn has help a little to cushion d effect of dis belief. Bt truth be said,na person wen see pikin dey select. Tell a barren couple for 15yrs if they wld take a boy or gal child,if they will nt tel u anyone as long it's a child
Sure, thats why women were protesting about anti-female laws during colonial rule
http://www.postcolonialweb.org/nigeria/precolwon.html
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kingston277(m): 7:20pm On Jul 04, 2014
frankben: @OP, you're right in your observation... Male child preference is subject to inheritance and is rampant in the south eastern part of this country(igbos to be precise)... I think it's an overlooked form of discrimination in certain families... Mother inlaws are always the ones orchestrating this idea/belief and executing it by persuading the son to chase out the wife for not giving birth to a Son...

It is only in Africa that you can observe this farce... It isn't practised in europe, asia and america... A good example is barack obama... His two kids are females and he's contented with it... If it were in nigeria, he would marry another wife who he believes would get his much coveted Son.
Funniest thing I've heard today grin
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kingston277(m): 7:22pm On Jul 04, 2014
all4naija: It is basically a cultural thing. Nigerians are culturally blinded to the extent they have to accord more rights to a male child than a female one. It is totally a biased thing to do.
Why do you keep trolling on every thread, man.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2014
kingston277:
Why do you keep trolling on every thread, man.
How is that trolling?
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kingston277(m): 8:32pm On Jul 04, 2014
all4naija: How is that trolling?
Your posts are veering to parity with ayanle's posts with of abnormal font and tons of negativity for anything African.

..and why is this thread 117 pages long? I think it was even well over 1000 pages long prior to the attack.
https://www.nairaland.com/897396/where-south-africa-without-white
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2014
kingston277:
Funniest thing I've heard today grin
silliest quote i've ever gotten grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Omabe Masquerade Festival In Enugu Ezike, A Nairalander's Village (Photos) / African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.