Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,437 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity (23654 Views)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / 5 Interesting Facts About Nothern-nigeria Pride Queen Aminat (pics) / Igbos Vs Yorubas: Similarities In Diversity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 10:54pm On Aug 10, 2015
I don't know why but today I just feel this pride in me. Pride for my roots. Pride for the elements that make me what I am today.
The geographical knowledge of the average Nigerian is poor. Most don't know much about regions outside theirs. I also see a lot of misconception about this region too. Some just tag all of us as Ijaws, some call us Igbos. Now for those diehard SS/SE loyalists, I am not in any way trying to break any (political) ties here, just trying to point out unique features that makes the SS different...... and unique wink

It is pertinent to note though that the SS itself is diverse. Too many cultures, beliefs, languages, and practices goes on down here. BUT the following attributes are common amongst us. Being the straight up person that I am, I will mention both the good and not-so-good sides. Kindly note also that the negative sides are not exhibited by modern day South southerners and are not peculiar to south southerners.

1: Dressing Although we have our unique attires, eg Ijaw maidens, brides wear beaded caps, benin women are doned in beads and corals from head to shoulders, Akwa-Ibom/CrossRiverian women plait their hair "calabar" and decorate it elaborately and wear heavy accessories on their wrists and ankles, etc.
But generally, our men like to wear the bowler hat. What differentiates the SS women George and blouse from other regions are that the SS George is usually in bright, flamboyant colours and our blouses are usually slim fitted and sexy looking. Lol. The George is originally from the SS region. Just like the aso oke is originally from the SW. So other regions copied it from us angry tongue

2. Love for Sea Food: Yesssooo. The difference between my pot of soup and that of another woman's is that I like to put enough fish. Not just stock fish, but good ol' dried fish. Not just any kind of dried fish o but the type that can only be caught in riverian areas by the most skillful fishermen. As a proud Akwa-Ibom/Crossriverian I like to go a step further by adding periwinkles. Yummy! We have different delicacies of fresh fish.
Crab, snails, fish, crayfish, we love 'em all and we keep our men looking fresh with this! grin.

3. Marine Life: Most SS people living in our states are very comfortable with marine life. Still go to the stream, sea, etc. We have alot of festivals and ceremonies by the waterside. The kalabaris, Ishekiris, Urhobos, Ijaws, Uzeres, host the most colourful parades in Africa! You need to see some.

4. Local gin. AKA Ogogoro: Except for Pastors and and a few other men, most SS men, (above 45) in fact women too no dey carry ogogoro play o. They love their Schinapps, Chelsea, and all those their prayer drinks.

5. Quiet Intelligence: Save for a few bad eggs, most SS people have this quiet intelligence, this swag, this I-no-fit-shout thing about them. We let our accomplishments speak for themselves. Yes I know our lands are nothing much to write home about save for the oil, but we have individual accomplishments and we have the highest number of wealthy families and dynasties. (I mean families, not individual wealth) The Ibrus, the Bruces, the Igbinedions, Oloroguns, the Etiebets, the Duke Royal dynasty (they may not be the richest royals in cash, but you should check out their artifacts and accessories collection!), the brass people of Bayelsa are a formidable bunch.

6. Love for Women: This is for older generation men too. The Urhobo men are very notorious for being out-rightly polygamous. The remaining SS men womanize too but they try not to have other wives and baby mamas outside their homes. But new generation SS men have seen the folly of this and are more responsible now.

7. Detribalized: After the people of the Middlebelt, South south people are most likely to marry, do business with, hire, and patronize people from across the country. You hardly see a SS employer look down at or judge others based on their tribes or even religion.

8. Geographical Location: As seen in the map below. We share a geographical location that flows into the atlantic hence our water life and culture.

Sum total of it all is this - the South South Rocks! wink

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Buchukwu: 11:15pm On Aug 10, 2015
@OP You're the biggest fool i've seen. Can you name where south south is in geography? Yoruba media has messed your brain up. Mad person

23 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by LoveMachine(m): 11:19pm On Aug 10, 2015
Pop ya collar! Pull ya shirt! Do it big! Naija up!

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 10, 2015
Op is a shameless yoruba man. How does Ogogoro relate to SS alone...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 10, 2015
Buchukwu:
@OP You're the biggest fool i've seen. Can you name where south south is in geography? Yoruba media has messed your brain up. Mad person

He is a yoruba man. This people are sick!

26 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Duru1(m): 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
South-south is a sucker

3 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by EdCure: 11:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
God bless the South South - The most coveted region/geo-political zone in Nigeria!

#ProudlyEdo!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by shaboti: 11:33pm On Aug 10, 2015
They 're used as pawns in nigerian politics

4 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 7:39am On Aug 11, 2015
I will pretend not to see any hateful comments here.
This thread is to celebrate the SS people.
Enjoy people!

12 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by soloroyality(m): 7:56am On Aug 11, 2015
if u are from ibibio,then u have the right to tell us why u love ur people. Because that geographical boundary called south south i hate that name with my last breath.

6 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by mekadinho(f): 8:22am On Aug 11, 2015
Hahaha...... Yorubas claiming SS since d fall of Awolowo, I mean d suicidal death of Awo...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by disumusa: 9:04am On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:
I don't know why but today I just feel this pride in me. Pride for my roots. Pride for the elements that make me what I am today.
The geographical knowledge of the average Nigerian is poor. Most don't know much about regions outside theirs. I also see a lot of misconception about this region too. Some just tag all of us as Ijaws, some call us Igbos. Now for those diehard SS/SE loyalists, I am not in any way trying to break any (political) ties here, just trying to point out unique features that makes the SS different...... and unique wink

It is pertinent to note though that the SS itself is diverse. Too many cultures, beliefs, languages, and practices goes on down here. BUT the following attributes are common amongst us. Being the straight up person that I am, I will mention both the good and not-so-good sides. Kindly note also that the negative sides are not exhibited by modern day South southerners and are not peculiar to south southerners alone.

1: Dressing Although we have our unique attires, eg Ijaw maidens, brides wear beaded caps, benin women are doned in beads and corals from head to shoulders, Akwa-Ibom/CrossRiverian women plait their hair "calabar" and decorate it elaborately and wear heavy accessories on their wrists and ankles, etc.
But generally, our men like to wear the bowler hat. What differentiates the SS women George and blouse from other regions are that the SS George is usually in bright, flamboyant colours and our blouses are usually slim fitted and sexy looking. Lol. The George is originally from the SS region. Just like the aso oke is originally from the SW. So other regions copied it from us angry tongue

2. Love for Sea Food: Yesssooo. The difference between my pot of soup and that of another woman's is that I like to put enough fish. Not just stock fish, but good ol' dried fish. Not just any kind of dried fish o but the type that can only be caught in riverian areas by the most skillful fishermen. As a proud Akwa-Ibom/Crossriverian I like to go a step further by adding periwinkles. Yummy! We have different delicacies of fresh fish.
Crab, snails, fish, crayfish, we love 'em all and we keep our men looking fresh with this! grin.

3. Marine Life: Most SS people living in our states are very comfortable with marine life. Still go to the stream, sea, etc. We have alot of festivals and ceremonies by the waterside. The kalabaris, Ishekiris, Urhobos, Ijaws, Uzeres, host the most colourful parades in Africa! You need to see some.

4. Local gin. AKA Ogogoro: Except for Pastors and and a few other men, most SS men, (above 45) in fact women too no dey carry ogogoro play o. They love their Schinapps, Chelsea, and all those their prayer drinks.

5. Quiet Intelligence: Save for a few bad eggs, most SS people have this quiet intelligence, this swag, this I-no-fit-shout thing about them. We let our accomplishments speak for themselves. Yes I know our lands are nothing much to write home about safe for the oil, but we have individual accomplishments and we have the highest number of wealthy families and dynasties. (I mean families, not individual wealth) The Ibrus, the Bruces, the Igbinedions, Oloroguns, the Etiebets, the Duke Royal dynasty (they may not be the richest royals in cash, but you should check out their artifacts and accessories collection!), the brass people of Bayelsa are a formidable bunch.

6. Love for Women: This is for older generation men too. The Urhobo men are very notorious for being out-rightly polygamous. The remaining SS men womanize too but they try not to have other wives and baby mamas outside their homes. But new generation SS men have seen the folly of this and are more responsible now.

7. Detribalized: After the people of the Middlebelt, South south people are most likely to marry, do business with, hire, and patronize people from across the country. You hardly see a SS employer look down at or judge others based on their tribes or even religion.

Sum total of it all is this - the South South Rocks! wink

mr ss, all what you and your concubine put on from head to toes are not locally made,they are mechine products.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by disumusa: 9:36am On Aug 11, 2015
new2020:
Op is a shameless yoruba man. How does Ogogoro relate to SS alone...
the write up is the hand work of gorrilla,second Niger bridge.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 10:23am On Aug 11, 2015
My south south people feel free to add any I might have omitted.

3 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by IgboDelta: 10:43am On Aug 11, 2015
We Igbos in Delta state and Rivers State do not share the peculiarities the poster mentioned as our culture and tradition are of the Igbos of South East. We do not wear bowler hat or george nor drink ogogoro like other south south nationalities. What we wear are Igbo clothings with red cap. We also wear akwa ocha with red cap. We drink rich palm wine.

Below are the pictures of Delta State governor, Sen Ifeanyi Okowa who is from the Igbo part of Delta State.

26 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by IgboDelta: 10:45am On Aug 11, 2015
Why do a m0ronic aboki like you always like comment on issues that concern South East and South South ?

disumusa:
the write up is the hand work of gorrilla,second Niger bridge.

7 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 10:47am On Aug 11, 2015
IgboDelta:
We Igbos in Delta state and Rivers State do not share the peculiarities the poster mentioned as our culture and tradition are of the Igbo of South East

Igbo Deltans in the house na true?
The last time I was in Asaba, the Igbo Deltans wore bowler hats and all like other SS people although they also wear Igbo caps too. They also love fish too and they enjoy banga and starch like the average Deltan.
In fact apart from the Igbo language I don't see much difference.

6 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 11, 2015
EdCure:
God bless the South South - The most coveted region/geo-political zone in Nigeria!

#ProudlyEdo!
I just found another dwarf, nice meeting u, how is italy?

7 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

The last time I was in Asaba, the Igbo Deltans wore bowler hats and all like other SS people. They also love fish too and they enjoy banga and starch like the average Deltan.
D guy is from Delta igbo are u are dictating his culture for him, if it was an Igbo from d south east dat was whether by act or by omission saying anything about Akwa ibom ur state, u wud be running ur mouth up and down saying igbo's are dz and dat, yet u are guilty of what u accuse others of.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 11, 2015
Duru1 what is ur problem?
Y do jobless people like u always try ur best to give igbos bad names?

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by madenigga(m): 11:00am On Aug 11, 2015
Proudly Igbo.
Proudly Rivers.
Proudly Southsouth.
And proudly Nigerian.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by EdCure: 11:10am On Aug 11, 2015
By their comments here, it is very clear that the ibos are the REAL enemies of the SS. They make troubles everywhere they find themselves even when no one invites them.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by AnambraDota: 11:11am On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

The last time I was in Asaba, the Igbo Deltans wore bowler hats and all like other SS people. They also love fish too and they enjoy banga and starch like the average Deltan.

Asaba is the capital of Delta state, those were like Urhobo, Isoko or Itshekiri, Aniomas crossed white wrapper through their neck and armpit.
They don't wear bowler hats

11 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by SonOfEl(m): 11:11am On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

my dad and his contemporaries wore bowler hats too.....don't mind the op....attention seeker
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by madenigga(m): 11:13am On Aug 11, 2015
EdCure:
By their comments here, it is very clear that the ibos are the REAL enemies of the SS. They make troubles everywhere they find themselves even when no one invites them.
Edo man, we know abt u ppl's hatred for anything igbo whether SS igbo or SE igbo, so don't waste ur time, go and mind ur useless state.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 11:15am On Aug 11, 2015
SonOfEl:

my dad and his contemporaries wore bowler hats too.....don't mind the op....attention seeker

Are you Delta Igbo?

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Eastlink(m): 11:18am On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

My people in Rivers wear the bowler hat and a dinstint flowing native called Etibo. Most people sometimes adorn the attire with a typical red skull cap worn by SEasterners. This clothing is totally different from the ones worn by the Urhobos and Itshekiris. Those who wear the Etibo as us are the Kalabaris, Ogonis, Ikwerres, Okrikas and Ibanis. Occasionally we wear the silk red and white strip Igbo mazi head gear for our festivities.
Secondly, we are Palmwine drinkers. Ogogoro or Schnapps is preserved for prayers, guests and other spiritual obligations.

7 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 11:32am On Aug 11, 2015
Eastlink:
My people in Rivers wear the bowler hat and a dinstint flowing native called Etibo. Most people sometimes adorn the attire with a typical red skull cap worn by SEasterners. This clothing is totally different from the ones worn by the Urhobos and Itshekiris. Those who wear the Etibo as us are the Kalabaris, Ogonis, Ikwerres, Okrikas and Ibanis. Occasionally we wear the silk red and white strip Igbo mazi head gear for our festivities.
Secondly, we are Palmwine drinkers. Ogogoro or Schnapps is preserved for prayers, guests and other spiritual obligations.

Ok. But I am confused here. The bolden shows that you also wear the bowler hat is also part of your wardrobe all the same. Akwa/Cross men wear bowler hats once in a while but they are mostly in their skull caps like the one below.

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by madenigga(m): 11:41am On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Ok. But I am confused here. The bolden shows that you also wear the bowler hat is also part of your wardrobe all the same. Akwa/Cross men bowler hats once in a while but they are mostly in their skull caps like the one below.

Rivers is made up of many tribes,
D bowler hat us common around d Riverine people.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 11:45am On Aug 11, 2015
madenigga:

Rivers is made up of many tribes,
D bowler hat us common around d Riverine people.

Ameachi is Ikwere but he wears the bowler hat doesn't he?
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 11:46am On Aug 11, 2015
This is typical Efik though. The difference between this and Akwa-Ibom dressing is the makeshift "tie" grin

5 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by madenigga(m): 12:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Ameachi is Ikwere but he wears the bowler hat doesn't he?
I am not sure abt d ikwerre tribe as am not from der.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"We Support Oba Akanbi As The Emir Of Yorubaland" - Iwo People (Photos) / Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) / Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.