Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka (25357 Views)

These 5 Powerful People May Cause Nigeria’s Break-up / IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 / Us Did Not Predict Nigeria’s Break-up In 2015 – Ambassador Mcculley (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Malawian(m): 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2014
blessed is he who enlargeth Gad's territory. Gad is waiting ...
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
CHESSBOARD:
Hediot, did you read b4 typing.... Igbos lost more than 3 million yet this man said 3,000 ppl killed by Bh is more
Smh...Shut the f**k up! You still haven't understood what I am talking about. Wole Soyinka described the way the Boko Haram group carries out their killings as worse than the Biafran war's. Some of them seems to be more gruesome than what took place during the Nigerian civil war. Just admit you are being silly though.

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by zurine(f): 6:33pm On Jul 03, 2014
hmm
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Neatboy(m): 6:37pm On Jul 03, 2014
Boko haram menace or carnage is uniting this country simply because strategic and sensitive locations had not been hit. The other regions are just waiting for this to happen before they'll take up their own arms. And, I also think Boko haram and their sponsors are all aware of this fact. Their modus operandi is: don't cross the 'Red Line' which is the South. And, the real truth is that they can cross the 'Red Line' if they want to, but they are not just ready for that. After all, is the Nigeria security intelligence that formidable to prevent them from coming down south? He (Prof) made a good point at tracing the remote cause of Boko haram. Alot of research had proved that the seed of Boko haram was sown when OBJ allowed some parts of the north to establish Sharia as their state law. But most Nigerians hate the truth and, in fact, most of us have short memories. OBJ was avoiding the north yet he wants GEJ to take those steps he couldn't take. He was even bold enough to go to the media to say he was at peace with the north simply because he allowed them to have their sharia. To me, it means selling the future and curing the symptom

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by jhidey08(m): 6:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
barackodam: grin

Initially, I ddnr get wat u said, bug after reading 3CE I understood perfectly and cudnt help but laf.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tanks for d reminder though
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by OneNaira6: 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2014
Uhh Soyinka wetin happen? The opposite of what said is the case

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by emmasege: 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2014
It's been a while I thumbed up for Soyinka going by some of his comments which suggest that he's a silent supporter of the Agbero people's Congress. But on this one, I salute the Nobel laureate. Obasanjo who's now always full of suggestions and advice on BH insurgency was the same man who ought to have forever silenced BH in his days as President. Instead of defending the Nigerian constitution and halt the imposition of Sharia law on certain sections of this country, he was quiet for political reasons when he needed to speak up against the invasion of demons (BH) in our land. I respect Baba Iyabo a lot, but he's a disappointment on the issue of Sharia which has culminated and metaphorsed into BH monsters.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by KwoiZabo(m): 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2014
iamsmile: ODE.........a nobel Laureate needs popularity?
And how has his rubbish laureate improved the life or education of an ordinary Nigerian compared to the no of foreign investors he will stop from coming to the country by saying BH kills thousands daily.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
Deiok:
Who is this Fool.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by megafox: 7:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
I wonder if people understood his statements well, he said "ironically, less likely" to separate. This implies, it's more likely gonna happen soon. That is what the Prof. said. He did not want to talk horizontally.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
jking001: Obasanjo the cause of our problems can't we see ?that man destroyed nigeria for personal gains.
There were less killings and carnage during obj's reign,ur opinion to me holds no water tide.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Deiok(m): 7:30pm On Jul 03, 2014
[quote author=Samakinr][/quote]
see, i dont know who the hell you are. But stop quoting me.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by millionaireman: 7:53pm On Jul 03, 2014
In fact, Kongi did mean his statement on the contrary. People who know how Kongi speaks can attest to that.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by delkuf(m): 8:04pm On Jul 03, 2014
I don't knw pple the issue of bh will bring the division of Nigeria. There are countries that hv fought war more serious than this issue of bh. The war in taiwan was so serious that a journalist said there will be no single soul left in taiwan, today they are still together. Philippine is another case study. So if countries like taiwan and philippine are still together today, Nigeria can still come out of this stronger

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Friedeong(m): 8:07pm On Jul 03, 2014
[quote author=Late Sani Abacha[/quote]

Late Sani Abacha once says that "Any Insurgency that last for 24hrs That Government has hand on It"
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by criuze(m): 8:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
Before the menance of boko haram will reach the horrows of biafra, there must be; thousands of children with kwashikor, millions of hungry mother, unstoping bombardment with no place to run to, clothless people, total blockage to relief materials, rape & molestations, mass burial on a shallow graves, total geographic dameges, balkanisation of the people to loose common will, less media coverage, and most importantly, an official endorsement to these atrocities
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Deiok(m): 8:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
megafox: I wonder if people understood his statements well, he said "ironically, less likely" to separate. This implies, it's more likely gonna happen soon. That is what the Prof. said. He did not want to talk horizontally.
There is no irony there, he spoke in plain and simple English. You are only getting yourself confused.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Perfectbright: 8:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
KwoiZabo: Soyinka is escalating the situation by saying that the killing has exceeded that of the civil war. What does he mean by daily attacks killing thousands. Haba Soyinka. its a lie o. BH insurgency has claimed less than 15000 lives while the civil war over a million. It's unfortunate that ppl like this that are supposed to protect the image of our country go around the world to rubbish us just because the govt. of the day is not listening to them or just to gain cheap popularity. This is really disgusting.smh
.MR MAN IF U LIKE IT OR NOT BOKO HARAM ATTACK IS WORSE AND MORE INHUMANE THAN CIVIL WAR IN NUMBER OF CAUSUALTIES. WHAT THIS IMPLIES THIS CARNAGE MONSTERS THAT COMPRISE THE SPONSORS, STRAGETIST, SPIES AND EXECUTORS, MUST BE STOPPED SPIRITUALLY AND PHYSICAL. Dont argue it
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by emmatok(m): 9:22pm On Jul 03, 2014
bushdoc9919: Well, lets break up Nigeria . What next?

1.Boko Haram continues its carnage....because one thing about Boko that most secessionists don't get is that its ambitions are beyond Nigeria.....and it extends everywhere

One American missionary to the Philippines and her husband( also a missionary) were kidnapped by Muslim millitants ostensibly fighting for a separate Islamic state in the South of the Philippines. They spent up to 9 months with their captors. One night, the missionary asked one of her captors 'Suppose you get your Islamic state in the South, will you lay down your arms'? The millitant replied...No,we will conquer the rest of the Phillipines and then neighboring countries until we rule the world. (From the mouth of a supposed local militant).

2.Refugees get displaced, because even the far North has Christians and Pagans present. Guess what...they will be chased by the Islamists....and guess who will be forced to host them.....

3.Perpetual war between the constituent parts. Because splitting Nigeria is not as easy as a line drawn at the level of the Niger-Benue axis.

4.Minority tribes will suffer the most under a split Nigeria than they will under a united Nigeria.

5.And I have not mentioned/discussed who gets the oil.

Splitting Nigeria is easy.....it is dealing with the potential mess that is hard. FWIW....if we wanted to split easy ....1966 was the best year.

1000 likes
You just summaries WS comment here.

There will be no peace in Biafra, ND or Oodua region if Boko haram takes over the North.
Thier aim is expansionist .

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 03, 2014
Deiok:
see, i dont know who the hell you are. But stop quoting me.
...you obviously now realized that calling your fellow man a 'fool' is nt a gentleman-like way of making your points...don't worry, u wl stl be banned for calling me as such.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Curlieweed: 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
atlwireles:

Your comments are normally very interesting to read, so far on this thread, you are off the mark. I hope you are still talking about 2014?

Thanks for the vote of confidence but my position on this crises has been consistent. It's a shame that all of my earlier comments are gone now but I have always seen the defeat of BH as a shared commitment. It has nothing to do with a desire for "one" Nigeria or similar delusions of "unity", it's based on enlightened self interest.

Even if we existed in separate countries, it's best to avoid a chaotic neighbourhood. forget about my historic examples, Cameroon similarly thought that BH was none of their business but after BH launched attacks within their borders they are now forced to deploy troops. Similarly, we should now be regretting our governments (actually GEJ's greatest foreign policy blunder) earlier support for the western intervention in Libya which opened the flood gates of illegal weapons that are currently distabilizing the entire zone.

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by PerfectFortune: 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
I smile whenever I read some ppl's views on Nld.

Boko Haram have killed more Hausas and Igbos than any other tribe in the country and the reason is not far fetched.

With all the bombings in the North, I am yet to hear of any major return of the Igbos to the east. I know a lot of Igbos living in the North for the past 20years, doing business and have already raised their families their, they cannot even imagine going back to the east irrespective of whatever unrest going on up North.

Majority of our brothers from the North are barbaric cos they are just not educated enough, the ones from the east clamour for a very tiny state(country) called "Biafra" when in the real sense of it, they are not ready (all igbos should return home to show they are) while the ones in the west want a one Nigeria with true federalism where each region will be allowed to grow at its own pace (usually affraid of war).

I believe the way forward is to just break up but how?

We are less likely gonna break-up...

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 03, 2014
KwoiZabo: Soyinka is escalating the situation by saying that the killing has exceeded that of the civil war. What does he mean by daily attacks killing thousands. Haba Soyinka. its a lie o. BH insurgency has claimed less than 15000 lives while the civil war over a million. It's unfortunate that ppl like this that are supposed to protect the image of our country go around the world to rubbish us just because the govt. of the day is not listening to them or just to gain cheap popularity. This is really disgusting.smh
Pls re-read the statement. He is saying that majority of ppl who during the civil war were due to hunger and illness not by weapons.
On daily killings, meaning total daily killings (summation of all daily killings).

And next time, exaggerate is more appropriate to using escalate.

A million people died during the Biafra war, though mostly through starvation and illness, rather than violence. Boko Haram's five-year-old struggle to carve out an Islamic state from its bases in the remote northeast
has become increasingly bloody, with near daily attacks killing many thousands.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by omoadeleye(m): 9:53pm On Jul 03, 2014
nooo... You dnt get him, he was insinuating the way boko haram are killing people babaricly is alarming than that of civil, you get? As in During the civil war people were only killed using gun and shoot...poaaah, but boko haram are just using different operational strategies in killing people by slaughtered metthod, bombing method, shooting speriodically like spring bank at people, anD they suffayos(I dnt gt d spelling thou) wen you 20 boko haram, another 200 will arise, so tell me during civil war, can they recuit new solDeris?
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by KwoiZabo(m): 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2014
thegreatman4ww:
Pls re-read the statement. He is saying that majority of ppl who during the civil war were due to hunger and illness not by weapons.
On daily killings, meaning total daily killings (summation of all daily killings)

can you explain what he means by "daily attacks killing thousands."
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by KwoiZabo(m): 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2014
omoadeleye: nooo... You dnt get him, he was insinuating the way boko haram are killing people babaricly is alarming than that of civil, you get? As in During the civil war people were only killed using gun and shoot...poaaah, but boko haram are just using different operational strategies in killing people by slaughtered metthod, bombing method, shooting speriodically like spring bank at people, anD they suffayos(I dnt gt d spelling thou) wen you 20 boko haram, another 200 will arise, so tell me during civil war, can they recuit new solDeris?
what is carnage? during the civil was easterners eascaped slaughter ny hidind in petrol tankers, Egyptian and British planes dropped bombs in market squares etc Soyinka is is just mad for comparing BH to the civil war.
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by KwoiZabo(m): 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
Perfect bright: .MR MAN IF U LIKE IT OR NOT BOKO HARAM ATTACK IS WORSE AND MORE INHUMANE THAN CIVIL WAR IN NUMBER OF CAUSUALTIES. WHAT THIS IMPLIES THIS CARNAGE MONSTERS THAT COMPRISE THE SPONSORS, STRAGETIST, SPIES AND EXECUTORS, MUST BE STOPPED SPIRITUALLY AND PHYSICAL. Dont argue it
It is clear that he said we have never experienced such carnage he did not talk abt. method so stop protecting your mad old prof. he has messed up again. he sits in abeokuta and just spew rubbish by saying "daily attacks killing thousands"
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by itsmine: 10:51pm On Jul 03, 2014
ije chikky: Soyinka spoke the truth... And I wonder why most of y'all can't see the truth...
'cos they are totally blind & lack d ability to comprehend, same way many couldnt read a paragraph of his book.!
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by itsmine: 10:55pm On Jul 03, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
You just gave me a better understanding of what Wole Soyinka said, and confirmed Prof. Robert Fox argument that Soyinka works are deep "ijinle" in meaning just like those of an oracle.
truth!
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by simiolu1(m): 11:03pm On Jul 03, 2014
Ceasar1: I'm tried of this old Man's habitual gibberish on media!

He always speaks like he knows something from Jupiter but he knows Nothing! Absolutely Nothing but Books!
Bros, to think that He knows nothing is a very very wrong conclusion.
If U know half of wat Soyinka knows about Nigeria's politics, U'd be an encyclopaedia.
Before U rush to quote me, try research on "Wole Soyinka's involvement in Radio Kudirat".
I believe that's a good place to start
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by itsmine: 11:07pm On Jul 03, 2014
obo_man: The prof is wrong in a way.... The reason Boko Haram isn't threatening the unity of Nigeria YET is because their attacks are mainly sectional...

If we understand the culture of Northern Nigeria, maybe we will understand the BOko Haram problem more.....

1) Most destitute in the north are extremely dependent on the rich folks... These folks are no longer as rich as they used to be under past northern administrations...

2) Sanusi once said the Literacy rate among North-west women in Nigeria is only 30% and the Literacy rate among South-west women is roughly 93%.... In the North-east, where Boko Haram is prevalent, maybe the Literacy rate might only be mere 10%..

3) Boko haram ideology is thriving on mass illiteracy in the north... The fundamental ideology of Boko Haram is so stupid that you don't need a brilliant kid in the south to dispel it for you....''Dad, how can you tell me western education is sin when u always send me to go buy Paracetamol for you when you have migraine?'' ''Isn't Paracetamol a product of Chemistry, thanks to western education?''

4) If you add mass illiteracy with an intolerant form of Islam and serenade it with political opportunist, you get Boko Haram...

To win the war against Boko Haram, the short term measure is containment, the long term solution is mass education..

Nigeria's unity is therefore dependent on how fast the north of Nigeria embrace education.

am i d only one seeing this brilliant message?
Re: Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:09am On Jul 04, 2014
[size=18pt]BAN FOREIGN RELIGION.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

THE CHANGE CAN ONLY START IF THE MORE LIBERAL SOUTH SETS AN EXAMPLE FIRST.

THERE IS ALREADY A MOVEMENT ERUPTING IN PARTS OF SOUTH-WEST, BUT THIS IS NOT ENOUGH..[/size]

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#EndSARS Protesters Are Pseudo-Activists ― Frank Mba Lists 10 Points By IGP / Ferry Gberegbe: Governor Wike Redeems N200m Pledge To Late Dr's Family / 3 More Aisha Buhari Critics Arrested By Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.