Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,322 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations (11554 Views)

Atrocities Committed At Nnpc Mega Station Lafia, Nasarawa State. / What I Saw At NNPC Gas Station. / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by agohavivi(f): 4:30am On Jul 07, 2014
Godfullsam: And what makes u think fuel is d reason for d problem in ur car? I thought Nigeria is one of d producer of best unleaded fuel in d world..
What Nigeria has is unleaded crude which is mostly exported. Since all our refineries are producing way below her optimum capacity, most of the fuel we use is imported and probably sourced from crude with high lead content besides anything goes in our economy so the quality of pms and other petroleum by products are not really considered.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by 9icetoo(m): 8:48am On Jul 07, 2014
sleekman: Anything that isn't wanted in a mixture/compond is an impurity. Leaving lead in fuel decreases d octane content and makes d fuel burn faster than unleaded fuel. Unleaded fuel is a high octane fuel which burns slower and is used primarily in high capacity petrol engines eg Aluminium block engines found in benz S-series or AMGs. The higher octane fuels sometimes don't work on some engines cos they supply 2 much oxygen 4 it 2 operate optimally. Perhaps this is why honda has these issues. I don't think though that Acura will have have this problem cos they have high performance engines.
I agree that anything that isnt desired in a mixture is an impurity. However, lead does not decrease the octane rating of petrol. Before the eighties, petrol was sold with lead in it to prevent detonation> The lead content actually acted as an octane booster. The advent of catalytic converters made lead in petrol undesirable cos of the negative effect it had on the expensive catalytic converters. Other chemical compounds were formulated to boost the octane rating of petrol. Unleaded fuel is not high octane fuel as you believe. Almost all the petrol sold today the world over is unleaded except for very few petrol stations around the world (i don't think nigeria is included) who sell leaded petrol and they clearly mark it out as leaded so you don't mistakenly put the leaded petrol into your modern car. In fact, the dispensing nozzle on a leaded fuel pump will not fit into the petrol receptacle of your modern vehicle. Unleaded fuel is not for high performance cars alone let alone being only for S series or AM whatever. Higher octane petrol are needed in engines with high compression ratios. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the chance of pre-ignition and detonation which could be catastrophic for the engine. Lastly, the higher octane petrol does not supply the oxygen for combustion; atmospheric air drawn into the combustion chamber through your air intake manifold does.
Honda and Acura cars often have engines with high compression ratios sometimes greater than 10:1. With compression ratios this high, low octane petrol will pre-ignite from the immense pressure in the cylinders. The engine management system detects this as knocks and retards the ignition timing which leads to a loss in power. This effect is what the OP noticed. It goes away once you fill up again with a higher octane petrol. Toyotas seem to be immune from this effect because most toyota engines run with moderate compression ratios. My 1.6 litre honda has a higher compression ration ratio than my toyta camry so i am particularly careful about where i buy my fuels for the honda. I refuel the honda at only Total filling stations.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by NumberOne2(m): 9:45am On Jul 07, 2014
clemz85:

pls can you help me provide this information? I want to know how many thousand is my RPM here, am sorry the pic isn't clear, it number 0 - 70 by ten ten jump

As you can see at the bottom of the gauge its written (x 100). Meaning that what ever value the needle points to is multiplied by 100. So if its at 15 that will be 15 x 100 = 1500rpm. At 70 will be 70 x 100 = 7,000rpm.

Most cars have it as 1 - 9 but at the buttom is written (x 1000). So 1.5 will be 1.5 x 1,000 = 1,500rpm.
Its just gauge calliberation or scalling. The total figure is what matters.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Piyke: 10:07am On Jul 07, 2014
NumberOne2:

So only a link could solve the issue of Honda starting at 1,500rpm?
Mine idles at 1,500 and takes less than 4 minutes to warm up so I guess those that do less than 1,500 on cold start should take longer time to warm up. They both probably end up consuming the same amount of petrol to warm just that one takes LESS TIME.

I have seen cars that idle for up to 10 mins before warming which is just crap. This especially occurs if the THERMOSTAT has been bypassed by connecting the fans directly to the battery.

I concur. My Honda warms up before you can say jack, but I've noticed that my wife's corolla takes like forever (compared to the Honda) for the temp gauge to get to normal.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Piyke: 11:04am On Jul 07, 2014
9icetoo:
I agree that anything that isnt desired in a mixture is an impurity. However, lead does not decrease the octane rating of petrol. Before the eighties, petrol was sold with lead in it to prevent detonation> The lead content actually acted as an octane booster. The advent of catalytic converters made lead in petrol undesirable cos of the negative effect it had on the expensive catalytic converters. Other chemical compounds were formulated to boost the octane rating of petrol. Unleaded fuel is not high octane fuel as you believe. Almost all the petrol sold today the world over is unleaded except for very few petrol stations around the world (i don't think nigeria is included) who sell leaded petrol and they clearly mark it out as leaded so you don't mistakenly put the leaded petrol into your modern car. In fact, the dispensing nozzle on a leaded fuel pump will not fit into the petrol receptacle of your modern vehicle. Unleaded fuel is not for high performance cars alone let alone being only for S series or AM whatever. Higher octane petrol are needed in engines with high compression ratios. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the chance of pre-ignition and detonation which could be catastrophic for the engine. Lastly, the higher octane petrol does not supply the oxygen for combustion; atmospheric air drawn into the combustion chamber through your air intake manifold does.
Honda and Acura cars often have engines with high compression ratios sometimes greater than 10:1. With compression ratios this high, low octane petrol will pre-ignite from the immense pressure in the cylinders. The engine management system detects this as knocks and retards the ignition timing which leads to a loss in power. This effect is what the OP noticed. It goes away once you fill up again with a higher octane petrol. Toyotas seem to be immune from this effect because most toyota engines run with moderate compression ratios. My 1.6 litre honda has a higher compression ration ratio than my toyta camry so i am particularly careful about where i buy my fuels for the honda. I refuel the honda at only Total filling stations.

You just upped my knowledge. Good stuff

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by clemz85(m): 11:15am On Jul 07, 2014
Witty07:

This isn't your rpm guage. It should be like

have you ever rev your engine to 5k before? or what does your engine rev @ 140speed? mine revs to 4k @ 140+ and that's the highest I have done due to unstable road condition to avoid touching stories.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 07, 2014
clemz85:

have you ever rev your engine to 5k before? or what does your engine rev @ 140speed? mine revs to 4k @ 140+ and that's the highest I have done due to unstable road condition to avoid touching stories.

I'v not Rev more than 4. I maintain a speed of 100-120 on highways and 70 - 80 within town.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Emperoh(m): 4:53pm On Jul 07, 2014
9icetoo:

Could this be the reason why my Lexus is throwing up the Malfunction Indicator Lamp saying that my Catalytic Converter efficiency is below threshold?

All the car needed was to take a trip from Lagos to Abuja and that came up instantly. I am already planning on doing a CC change. Which is quite pricey.

What are your thoughts?
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by 9icetoo(m): 6:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
Emperoh:

Could this be the reason why my Lexus is throwing up the Malfunction Indicator Lamp saying that my Catalytic Converter efficiency is below threshold?

All the car needed was to take a trip from Lagos to Abuja and that came up instantly. I am already planning on doing a CC change. Which is quite pricey.

What are your thoughts?
Maybe, but that may not be the reason too. Failing pre and post cat 02 sensors sometimes make the ECU think the cat is failing when it isn't. You will need a good auto shop to check out your pre and post 02 sensors to confirm if they are still working within spec. If they are and you do not have any leaks, then you have to change your catalyst. If it is indeed your catalyst, then the quality of fuel here might have contributed to its early demise. If you are in Abuja, you can seek out the counsel of Ikenna or Car Doctor, they'd be of good help. Don't gut out the cat yet until you confirm.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Emperoh(m): 6:25pm On Jul 07, 2014
9icetoo:
Maybe, but that may not be the reason too. Failing pre and post cat 02 sensors sometimes make the ECU think the cat is failing when it isn't. You will need a good auto shop to check out your pre and post 02 sensors to confirm if they are still working within spec. If they are and you do not have any leaks, then you have to change your catalyst. If it is indeed your catalyst, then the quality of fuel here might have contributed to its early demise. If you are in Abuja, you can seek out the counsel of Ikenna or Car Doctor, they'd be of good help. Don't gut out the cat yet until you confirm.

The bolded is the only person who has worked on the car.
We have brought down the CC to see if the indomie was still in there, and it was positive. We washed it and fitted it back and cleared the codes which came back after 2 days driving.

But something also is worthy of note. We checked the reading of the O2 sensors and the post O2 sensor readings where quite or way above normal. something in the region 3.0..... others where with 0.8 to 1.0.

I don't know whether this could be a pointer to the issue.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by sleekman(m): 11:11am On Jul 08, 2014
9icetoo:
who says lead doesn't reduce d octane content of petrol? Where did u get that from? Lead makes d petrol lighter. Higher d lead content d lower d octane level.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by 9icetoo(m): 5:39pm On Jul 08, 2014
sleekman: who says lead doesn't reduce d octane content of petrol? Where did u get that from? Lead makes d petrol lighter. Higher d lead content d lower d octane level.
I guess you didn't read my post very well. Firstly, lead is one of the heavy metals and a very heavy element. Look up the atomic mass of lead (Pb) on the periodic table. It cannot make anything lighter. Secondly, Wikipedia and Google are your friends. If they aren't yours, they are mine. Google 'leaded fuel' and assimilate the knowledge. You can also check octane rating of petrol while you are there. Lead was added before the eighties to increase the octane rating of petrol. After the eighties, other compounds were introduced to replace lead in petrol. These compounds did the same thing lead was supposed to do and that is increase the octane rating of petrol. The higher the octane rating, the less likely it is for the petrol to pre-ignite and the more advanced an engine can be timed.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by sleekman(m): 4:57am On Jul 09, 2014
9icetoo:
I guess you didn't read my post very well. Firstly, lead is one of the heavy metals and a very heavy element. Look up the atomic mass of lead (Pb) on the periodic table. It cannot make anything lighter. Secondly, Wikipedia and Google are your friends. If they aren't yours, they are mine. Google 'leaded fuel' and assimilate the knowledge. You can also check octane rating of petrol while you are there. Lead was added before the eighties to increase the octane rating of petrol. After the eighties, other compounds were introduced to replace lead in petrol. These compounds did the same thing lead was supposed to do and that is increase the octane rating of petrol. The higher the octane rating, the less likely it is for the petrol to pre-ignite and the more advanced an engine can be timed.
Sorry people my bad. He's partly right. Leaded fuel does increase octane rating. Where we all got it wrong is that lead isn't found in crude or petrol rather it was added 2 prevent engine knocks and increase d octane levels. Now, most govts have banned lead as an additive due 2 health problems associated with lead. So I guess our refineries aren't adding enough benzene/ethanol to d end product 2 boost d octane levels. Probably cutting corners as usual. Sorry 4d mix-up.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by 9icetoo(m): 8:32am On Jul 09, 2014
Emperoh:

The bolded is the only person who has worked on the car.
We have brought down the CC to see if the indomie was still in there, and it was positive. We washed it and fitted it back and cleared the codes which came back after 2 days driving.

But something also is worthy of note. We checked the reading of the O2 sensors and the post O2 sensor readings where quite or way above normal. something in the region 3.0..... others where with 0.8 to 1.0.

I don't know whether this could be a pointer to the issue.
I am not too conversant with 02 values. You might want to swap in a fairly used post cat 02 sensor to check if that will clear the problem. If it does, then you can start saving up for a new one. Please make sure you buy the sensor with the correct part number or same part number as the one you are replacing.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Emperoh(m): 8:56am On Jul 09, 2014
9icetoo:
I am not too conversant with 02 values. You might want to swap in a fairly used post cat 02 sensor to check if that will clear the problem. If it does, then you can start saving up for a new one. Please make sure you buy the sensor with the correct part number or same part number as the one you are replacing.

Are O2 Cat sensors or sensors at large generic parts? cool
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by 9icetoo(m): 4:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
They are not generic. The 02 sensor for my 2002 model 2azfe engine may be different from the 02 sensor for a 2004 model 2azfe engine. On auto part websites, you will need to enter your vehicle model and year of production to get the correct match. Also note that the pre and post cat 02 sensors are not interchangeable. The numbers are written on the sensors currently on your car. get them and use them as a reference when searching for tokunbo replacements. Don't mind any dealer who tells you that they are all the same. THEY ARE NOT.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by klodike(m): 7:01pm On Jul 09, 2014
So red is the leaded fuel? Asked wan ignoramus @ a fuel station, told me it was the best and doesn't burn fast. Now i knw tnks.
Ikenna351: Last month, I Drove into NNPC fuel station at Zone 1, Wuse (not mega station) to refuel. Saw a guy who just bought a fuel in a white can on one of the pumps. The fuel color was dark red, meaning Lead fuel (bad for EFI system). I quickly turned round and drove out.

Unfortunately, I have been buying fuel from that station. Never knew what I was buying until that day. Now my 2 upstream sensors of my SV D9 are dead. Reason has become obvious to me.

Ikenna
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by klodike(m): 7:04pm On Jul 09, 2014
Pls i need clarification. What is the colour of lead and unleaded fuel respectively.
sleekman: Why all these misinformation. If d fuel is real pinkish then that's our 9ja fuel straight from our refineries. They are d best cos it unleaded and d octane content is very high. This means ur engine delivers much better optimally with our fuel. In d west there is leaded and unleaded fuel with a remarkable difference. So please check ur engines or fuel tanks.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by 9icetoo(m): 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
klodike: Pls i need clarification. What is the colour of lead and unleaded fuel respectively.
The color you see are probably dyes or colors from the additives added to the petrol such as detergents (Not omo and klin oo, lol). Petrol in its natural state is colorless. I do not know the color of leaded petrol but I do not think all pink petrols are leaded petrol.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by klodike(m): 7:19am On Jul 12, 2014
Alryt, Tnkyou sir
9icetoo:
The color you see are probably dyes or colors from the additives added to the petrol such as detergents (Not omo and klin oo, lol). Petrol in its natural state is colorless. I do not know the color of leaded petrol but I do not think all pink petrols are leaded petrol.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 14, 2015
what of Abuja?
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Piyke: 3:47pm On Feb 14, 2015
chiebube:
what of Abuja?

I do not know for Abuja. This happened in Imo, Owerri to be precise. I now have about 3 stations from where I get gas and the symptoms I described initially have been at bay ever since!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Track And Secure Your Vehicle. Get A Comprehensive History Of Your Vehicle. / EgunMogajis Motorcycle Thread / 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.