Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? (2938 Views)

Enugu's New State Secretariat / BREAKING NEWS - - - North-east Zone Of CAN Endorses Buhari / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 10:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
Delegates at the ongoing confab unanimously approved the creation of one additional state for the south east geo-political in the spirit of "reconcilliation, justice and equality". It also approved the creation of 18 other states across all zones based on merit. These are the approved proposed states for d SE:
1. Etiti state which cuts across 5 states
2. Njaba state frm Orlu zone of Imo and Ihiala and Aguata LG of Anambra
3. Adada state frm Enugu.
4. Anioma state frm Delta
Now that opportunity has finally come, I hope my SE people will not mess it up by fighting and disagreeing over the issue of the choice of state to be created.
I ask the SE and Igbo people of NL, which of these proposed states is the best in terms of economic viability, land mass, population, proximity of the entities and so on?
It is necessary that our opinions count.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by jakiedudu(m): 10:23pm On Jul 04, 2014
True Federalism will determine whether or not to create more states. Any state created base on Political means without economic viability considerations may fail in future.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 10:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
That is ur opinion. To most of us in d south east, it is long overdue. Let there be equity and fairness, before we can talk of true federalism. However, d delegates disappointed many Nigerians by opting for what it rather called 'Modified Presidential of Govt' instead of True fiscal federalism. It said under this system, the states will be d federating units without making any emphasis on resource control. The states are at liberty to make their own constitution but must subsist under d federal constitution. Then, the presidency must be rotated btw the south and d north in turns.

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Tobbie9(m): 10:46pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hope u know the confab isn't the Senate, at best they can recommend they can't approve nothing

3 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 10:56pm On Jul 04, 2014
Tobbie9: Hope u know the confab isn't the Senate, at best they can recommend they can't approve nothing
But GEJ had in d past hinted that d outcome of the confab will be subjected to referendum-which is a popular opinion. Let wait and see what he does after the confab.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Tobbie9(m): 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2014
EMMA BC:
But GEJ had in d past hinted that d outcome of the confab will be subjected to referendum-which is a popular opinion. Let wait and see what he does after the confab.
let's wait and see
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
What sort of nonsense state creation is this....Well,scratch off Anambra from your list....Anambra remains as it is.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
Anioma state will be the sure bet if igbos are wise, if not for anything, it will extend the geographical landscape of Southeast and integrate the aniomas into their dream igbo recognition.

10 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 04, 2014
jakiedudu: Any state created base on Political means without economic viability considerations may fail in future.
It is not a function of MAY, it WILL certainly fail.
What we need in Nigeria is true federalism and resource control. State creation would add more to the already existing problems we'v got
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 11:19pm On Jul 04, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: What sort of nonsense state creation is this....Well,scratch off Anambra from your list....Anambra remains as it is.
I'm sure u are neither frm Ihiala nor Aguata. This proposal for Njaba was made way back during OBJ first tenure and was accepted by Anambra and Imo. By proximity Ihiala is closer to Orlu than Awka. They belong to Orlu catholic diocese. Would u then deny them freedom of association? No.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
EMMA BC:
I'm sure u are neither frm Ihiala nor Aguata. This proposal for Njaba was made way back during OBJ first tenure and was accepted by Anambra and Imo. By proximity Ihiala is closer to Orlu than Awka. They belong to Orlu catholic diocese. Would u then deny them freedom of association? No.
bros, forget about njaba state 1st, southeastern states are too small to go through further division, all we should be clamouring for is for our brothers outside of the southeast region to integrate themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Ikengawo: 11:30pm On Jul 04, 2014
Anioma is my choice. We must add to our territory, not divide it into smaller fiefdoms.
the SE needs a presence on both sides of the river Niger to more accurately encompass the span of the Igbo people in Nigeria. Many believe that they're in igboland once the cross the bridge into onitcha and this misconception has to be combated because it marginalizes us as a people.

5 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:33pm On Jul 04, 2014
EMMA BC:

I'm not from Ihiala but I don't think Ihiala people are being oppressed in Anambra. If anything, we should be fighting for the creation of Anioma.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Ikengawo: 11:35pm On Jul 04, 2014
There's no discussion to be had, Anioma is the only choice. They are the ones suffering actual marginalization as Warri is treated like the capital of Delta state. Njaba, where i'm from, has produced the majority of governors in Imo, and 1 governor in Anambra, so no one can say they're being marginalized or that their demand for a state is urgent.

Anioma it has to be

7 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Ikengawo: 11:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
There's no discussion to be had, Anioma is the only choice. They are the ones suffering actual marginalization as Warri is treated like the capital of Delta state. 'Njaba', where i'm from, has produced the majority of governors in Imo, and 1 governor in Anambra, so no one can say they're being marginalized or that their demand for a state is urgent.

Anioma it has to be. Asaba would be a great economic addition. Orlu is no where near ready to be a state capital unless you want to create a laughing stock in Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by BlackPikiN(m): 11:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
AniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAniomaAnioma

3 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 11:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli:

I'm not from Ihiala but I don't think Ihiala people are being oppressed in Anambra. If anything, we should be fighting for the creation of Anioma.
I support you on that. Anioma is my choice, even though I come frm Orlu.

4 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 04, 2014
Any state apart from anioma state is rubbish, trust me. The five states in southeast should not be perturbed, only an addition will be an apposite decision.

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 11:42pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ikengawo: Anioma is my choice. We must add to our territory, not divide it into smaller fiefdoms.
the SE needs a presence on both sides of the river Niger to more accurately encompass the span of the Igbo people in Nigeria. Many believe that they're in igboland once the cross the bridge into onitcha and this misconception has to be combated because it marginalizes us as a people.
U have just made a good point, an intellectual one. I hope our Igbo leaders will take this into consideration

4 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by psucc(m): 6:55am On Jul 05, 2014
Only if they will unite to grab it now. During OBJ's tenure, they got same approval but let it slipped away because of multiple demands.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by modhream: 8:11am On Jul 05, 2014
EMMA BC:
Only Uli n one other small community,who's name I forget now,are in Orlu Catholic diocese.Ihiala,Okija,Ihembosi n co are all in Nnewi Catholic diocese.Carry this ur Njaba nonsense elsewhere pls.No Anambra community is going with u.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by passion007: 9:39am On Jul 05, 2014
Anioma will no doubt be created but should remain in the SS. They are part of the Igbo nation first and foremost, and you don't have to be in Nigeria's geopolitical SE to feel/be Igbo. Besides there are other satellite Igbo communities in Benue (Ogbadigbo and Okpokwu LGAs), Rivers, Edo, Akwa Ibom, should we also form a state for all these others?
Think Igbo Nation, and not South East... The geopolitical bloc called South East is an artificial creation, so why should it carry more relevance than being Igbo.I fail to see what benefits come with having a well-defined, and homogenous SE that houses all the Igbos of Nigeria.
Enugu Ezhike (Ejige)was founded by an ousted Prince of Benin, Ejige Oba who finally settled up the hills of Nsukka that came to be known as Enu Ugwu Ezhike Oba. These people are Igbos today. Aniomas have a similar history, and they are Igbos. Isn't Enwo Igariwey an Anioma son heading a Pan-Igbo organization? Emigrating Igalas in the historical book "Igbo- Igala borderland" were completely Igbonized over a few decades. Today, the Attamas, Attahs, Obettas, Asogwas and other Igala surnames are vociferously Igbo, although they are descended from Igala priests.
Even the Yorubas have satellite communities in Kogi, Kwara who nevertheless are first and foremost Yoruba. It's just a wise survival strategy to get more out of Nigeria.

#Support Adada State creation.

3 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EmeeNaka: 10:14am On Jul 05, 2014
if states can possibly be created for SE zone,Anioma should not be created for SE whether they are Igbos or not.
Any parts of present SE can be excised to form a new state provided that a laid down procedure is adhered to.

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 05, 2014
Ifeyinwa Maureen Okafor

ARISE IMO YOUTH!

I, IFEYINWA MAUREEN OKAFOR (I.M.O),I have come as YOUR Messiah.
Whether you are a party member or not, you must arise and demand that I.M.O is your candidate for Governor 2015 under PDP.
From Owerri to Ohaji, Obowo to Oru , across the land, ARISE and create a stampede on ground and on line.
Free education is good. But I have come to take you from good to GREAT. I schooled in Ikenegbu Primary,Owerri and IMO University. I also schooled in Columbus Elementary Ohio, USA and University of Bradford, England. There is a DIFFERENCE and it is not called free, it is called QUALITY!
Arise and DEMAND a Quality candidate who will give you well stocked physical libraries and online libraries for research ,electronic teaching aids, qualified and motivated lecturers.(My father was a lecturer in ALVAN IKOKU and my mother an Inspector of Education in the Ministry of Education).
Arise and demand a candidate who as a YOUTH, understands and has a policy for technology...because that is the future!
Arise and demand a candidate who has thought deeply about job creation and has a concrete plan to deliver jobs, who has a policy to deliver houses, and a good environment for you to raise your children.
Arise and demand a better future for yourselves and your families. We cannot all run to live abroad.
IMO Youth, I, IFEYINWA MAUREEN OKAFOR (I.M.O), I worry about you day and night.
You also should not sleep. ARISE NOW! DEMAND that my party PDP gives me the ticket to go into the general election.

ARISE ALL IMO YOUTH NOW! YOUR FUTURE IS ABOUT TO BE DECIDED!
God bless us all.
www.ifeyinwaokafor.com

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by shizzle1: 1:16pm On Jul 05, 2014
i very much applaud the creation of additional states especially anioma to be integrated into the south east geopolitical zone. cool
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by shizzle1: 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2014
passion007: Anioma will no doubt be created but should remain in the SS. They are part of the Igbo nation first and foremost, and you don't have to be in Nigeria's geopolitical SE to feel/be Igbo. Besides there are other satellite Igbo communities in Benue (Ogbadigbo and Okpokwu LGAs), Rivers, Edo, Akwa Ibom, should we also form a state for all these others?
Think Igbo Nation, and not South East... The geopolitical bloc called South East is an artificial creation, so why should it carry more relevance than being Igbo.I fail to see what benefits come with having a well-defined, and homogenous SE that houses all the Igbos of Nigeria.
Enugu Ezhike (Ejige)was founded by an ousted Prince of Benin, Ejige Oba who finally settled up the hills of Nsukka that came to be known as Enu Ugwu Ezhike Oba. These people are Igbos today. Aniomas have a similar history, and they are Igbos. Isn't Enwo Igariwey an Anioma son heading a Pan-Igbo organization? Emigrating Igalas in the historical book "Igbo- Igala borderland" were completely Igbonized over a few decades. Today, the Attamas, Attahs, Obettas, Asogwas and other Igala surnames are vociferously Igbo, although they are descended from Igala priests.
Even the Yorubas have satellite communities in Kogi, Kwara who nevertheless are first and foremost Yoruba. It's just a wise survival strategy to get more out of Nigeria.

If anioma is created to be a state of its own why should it remain in the SS? The scenario you ha e with other igbo speaking communities you mentioned cannot hold water since those communities will not be carved out as a state from their current locations

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by UCyril: 1:27pm On Jul 05, 2014
Enwo igariwey is from afikpo ebonyi state
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Alexsmith20(m): 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2014
lakhadimar: It is not a function of MAY, it WILL certainly fail.
What we need in Nigeria is true federalism and resource control. State creation would add more to the already existing problems we'v got
state creation would serve as means of controling our resources more adequately,by division of resources into segments of states it would lead to utilisation of resources in various parts;rather than a whole without a vivid understanding to its whereabout..hope you understand?

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
U.Cyril:
Enwo igariwey is from afikpo ebonyi state
Kpomkwem!
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
customized13: bros, forget about njaba state 1st, southeastern states are too small to go through further division, all we should be clamouring for is for our brothers outside of the southeast region to integrate themselves.

while am not against anioma coming to SE, I don't believe creation is a thing of size .
Would u rather a large state filled with bushes be divided just because its large only?
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 05, 2014
passion007: Anioma will no doubt be created but should remain in the SS. They are part of the Igbo nation first and foremost, and you don't have to be in Nigeria's geopolitical SE to feel/be Igbo. Besides there are other satellite Igbo communities in Benue (Ogbadigbo and Okpokwu LGAs), Rivers, Edo, Akwa Ibom, should we also form a state for all these others?

the presence of igbos outside SE had put them in identity crisis
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by millionaireman: 4:12pm On Jul 05, 2014
@EMMA BC, I hope you do not permit yourself to be swayed by some highly opinionated people on NL. Anioma state if and when created but remaining in the SOUTHSOUTH ZONE is an added advantage to the bargaining power of the Igbo in Nigeria. Head campaigners for Anioma state never wished it returns to SOUTHEAST zone when created. However, there are some among the hoi polloi that hang on this sentiment: "rest of Igbo, please help us get Anioma state so as to reintegrate Anioma Igbo to the southeast." But it is impracticable to have that part of Delta state democratically returned to southeast zone. Anioma had never belonged to Eastern Nigeria. Igbos give every support for Anioma state, but the souteast people have been clamouring for sixth state primarily because people of southeast are grossly under -represented in every political gathering of Nigerians, more so, in the NASS. By ANY YARDSTICK to be adopted by Nigeria to create a sixth state in the southeast, the twelve local govt areas in Imo West senatorial zone come first to be pronounced the sixth state, and far above the other demands for state in the southeast. Above all, HISTORY of state creation in the southeast zone further supports Njaba state, or if need be, ANIM state.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: 12 APC Gov Endorse Buhari As Kwakwaso Steps Down / If Benin-ore Road That Was Nigeria's Stubborn Generational Curse Can Be Smooth.. / What Will Happen If GMB Loses This Election Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.