Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

How To Deal With A Stubborn Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Deal With A Stubborn Child (1842 Views)

How Do You Handle A Stubborn Kid? / How to parent a Stubborn Ward / How Do You Handle A Very Stubborn Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Dygeasy(m): 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2014
I'll be citing real life examples to which I am a first-hand witness to.

Let's look at this. Just one family is being put into focus here...

A nuclear middle-class family have a daughter in a federal University. She was brought up the 'normal' way given she has elder ones who are graduates so I believe her parents couldn't have gone entirely wrong with her. The thing out this girl is she exploits her parents;

1. She issues out threats.

2. She absolutely doesn't care out how her actions might make them feel.

Picture these...

1. She once told her parents if they wanted her to be coming home from school during academic breaks or holidays, they needed to install a satellite dish in their home and her parents would always provide fuel money. Failure to do that means she'll remain wherever she wants and not come home.

Her dad did her wish.

2. She also once told her parents, "If you want to visit me in school, don't visit me in that Mercedes Benz 190 otherwise I won't attend to you."

It happened that one day her parents wanted to visit her and take foodstuff along with them for her. On reaching her hostel, they called her to no avail. She probably had hidden somewhere to see what kind of car they came in. She refused to see her parents that day and they had to travel back home that same day.

Maybe her parents overindulged her. How would you deal with such kid?
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by 5minsmadness: 9:02pm On Jul 05, 2014
I'm assuming its an African/Nigerian setting. Is she the only girl? What's her genotype, is she SS i.e a sickler?
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by xynerise: 9:05pm On Jul 05, 2014
I will grant her independence for one week. She needs to see life in another perspective.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Tallesty1(m): 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
xynerise: I will grant her independence for one week. She needs to see life in another perspective.
Or maybe one month, anyways the parents share part of the blame.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Hadeehart101(f): 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
Let her to make her decisions and do whatever she wishes. Her parents don't have to satisfy her all the time. Afterall, when she makes a grievous mistake, she'll come running back to them.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by MizMyColi(f): 9:14pm On Jul 05, 2014
5minsmadness: I'm assuming its an African/Nigerian setting. Is she the only girl? What's her genotype, is she SS i.e a sickler?
cheesy cheesy unto koboko tins ey?

4 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Idowuogbo(f): 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2014
Say Wat? shocked shocked She'll learn the hard way. Na to lock that child inside cellar till I find a solution to her madness. Nonsense! Na me born am or na she born me? If fasting and prayer go solve am, I full ground. Oshiko angry

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Ishilove: 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2014
Dygeasy: I'll be citing real life examples to which I am a first-hand witness to.

Let's look at this. Just one family is being put into focus here...

A nuclear middle-class family have a daughter in a federal University. She was brought up the 'normal' way given she has elder ones who are graduates so I believe her parents couldn't have gone entirely wrong with her. The thing out this girl is she exploits her parents;

1. She issues out threats.

2. She absolutely doesn't care out how her actions might make them feel.

Picture these...

1. She once told her parents if they wanted her to be coming home from school during academic breaks or holidays, they needed to install a satellite dish in their home and her parents would always provide fuel money. Failure to do that means she'll remain wherever she wants and not come home.

Her dad did her wish.

2. She also once told her parents, "If you want to visit me in school, don't visit me in that Mercedes Benz 190 otherwise I won't attend to you."

It happened that one day her parents wanted to visit her and take foodstuff along with them for her. On reaching her hostel, they called her to no avail. She probably had hidden somewhere to see what kind of car they came in. She refused to see her parents that day and they had to travel back home that same day.

Maybe her parents overindulged her. How would you deal with such kid?

She has been overindulged and she will only get worse as she gets older.

Feed her to tigers angry
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Idowuogbo(f): 9:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
Tallesty1:
Or maybe one month, anyways the parents share part of the blame.
Walahi! Na dat kian child persin go board okada go deliver hin provision. Dem born am well make she no pick phone? na area boys I go use pursue am come house. Mo jeri badosky! Awa o si fo shi

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Lordabas: 9:34pm On Jul 05, 2014

Leave her alone, pretend you don't care. Till she decides to grow up and come home.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by RAPMAN02(m): 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2014
Age?
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Tallesty1(m): 9:52pm On Jul 05, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Walahi! Na dat kian child persin go board okada go deliver hin provision. Dem born am well make she no pick phone? na area boys I go use pursue am come house. Mo jeri badosky! Awa o si fo shi
You dey vex ooo, take am easy my dear, you can see from the post that she always gets what she wants, her parents fault if I may say.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Agybabe(f): 9:59pm On Jul 05, 2014
Disown the retard! Life go teach am lesson! grin
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by egopersonified(f): 10:04pm On Jul 05, 2014
Even if she's d only child after 20 years of childlessness, i will show her that she is not a do or die candidate to me, that sch dat is sharkin her, first change it to a public sch, sent her to go and leave with yr most poverty striken relative without allowance, if no change, send her to a convent or marry her off as third wife.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by papindinho(m): 10:14pm On Jul 05, 2014
Perhaps I don't get what Dygeasy meant by 'being brought-up the normal way'. That kind of child is really a case. The parents should have cleared air with her from day 1. She doesn't dictate what they do, what they buy or whatever.

If I were her dad. I would leave her for a couple of weeks. No calls, nothing. Yea, forsake her for some time and see if she changes or not.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Dygeasy(m): 10:16pm On Jul 05, 2014
Idowuogbo: Say Wat? shocked shocked She'll learn the hard way. Na to lock that child inside cellar till I find a solution to her madness. Nonsense! Na me born am or na she born me? If fasting and prayer go solve am, I full ground. Oshiko angry
grin
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Dygeasy(m): 10:17pm On Jul 05, 2014
RAPMAN02: Age?
early twenties
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Dygeasy(m): 10:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
papindinho: Perhaps I don't get what Dygeasy meant by 'being brought-up the normal way'. That kind of child is really a case. The parents should have cleared air with her from day 1. She doesn't dictate what they do, what they buy or whatever.

If I were her dad. I would leave her for a couple of weeks. No calls, nothing. Yea, forsake her for some time and see if she changes or not.
By normal way I mean the way Nigerian parents bring up kids.

Her parents surely have overindulged her excesses.

I argued it with a friend earlier today stating exactly what y'all are saying here as my would be line of action but he opined the parents are probably scared she might end up hurt or worse if they don't 'worship' her.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
@dygeasy. Well, I don't think I'll have that kind of situation with any of my children .

My advice for such is, firstly, let the parents sit the girl down. Talk sense into her.. U can't be shy of your parents, respect them for what they have and who they are. The mom has a lot of work to do in this regard, let her build more bond with the girl, get the girl to open up to her the reason for the madness, maybe she is being intimidated...

And if she still acts silly, they should ignore her actions, better still send her to a relative...
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by papindinho(m): 10:41pm On Jul 05, 2014
Dygeasy: By normal way I mean the way Nigerian parents bring up kids.

Her parents surely have overindulged her excesses.

I argued it with a friend earlier today stating exactly what y'all are saying here as my would be line of action but he opined the parents are probably scared she might end up hurt or worse if they don't 'worship' her.

hahaha... They've already overindulged her. It would take a divine touch for her to change...
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by papindinho(m): 10:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
LogoDWhiz: @dygeasy. Well, I don't think I'll have that kind of situation with any of my children .

My advice for such is, firstly, let the parents sit the girl down. Talk sense into her.. U can't be shy of your parents, respect them for what they have and who they are. The mom has a lot of work to do in this regard, let her build more bond with the girl, get the girl to open up to her the reason for the madness, maybe she is being intimidated...

And if she still acts silly, they should ignore her actions, better still send her to a relative...
that's if she gives them the audience.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by chronique(m): 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2014
Looks like you guys aint seeing the real picture here. A girl who tells her parents "she'd not come home if they do not install dstv at home,and would stay wherever she is",is obviously in the wrong company of friends. No responsible child gives ultimatum to parents. Her parents know they have made mistake in the way she was brought up,and as such,are scared of using force so as not to lose her totally. Cutting her allowances and issuing counter threats might not work. Reason is that,she's actually at a stage of her life where most of her peers get heady and are looking at exploring life and having all the fun and aventures. Giving her too much space(all in the name of punishment) could backfire. Have you thought about the fact that with-holding her allowAnce and asking her to go be independent,might just give her the space n opportunity to become the nuisance she's tryna be? I think the parents need to be patient and use more of wisdom and prayers to get her back in line. Moreso,they should only give what they can afford and know she needs. A child that would hide from her parents cos they used what they could afford,is already a bad one. Patience and wisdom is what they need to handle her.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
papindinho: that's if she gives them the audience.

Hmm. That's true..

But I don't see any better choice.. She's already 'rotten'.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by papindinho(m): 11:39pm On Jul 05, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Hmm. That's true..

But I don't see any better choice.. She's already 'rotten'.
yea... Divine intervention can make her act normal....
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:40pm On Jul 05, 2014
papindinho: yea... Divine intervention can make her act normal....

You're right...
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by zeb04(f): 12:11am On Jul 06, 2014
Sometimes kids need to make mistakes on their own,the dad should let her be.

I don't support beating and cutting of allowances.
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 06, 2014
Hehehe cheesy
don't you think your akproko is a lil much, @op undecided
thhe parents didn't complain to you, did they?
Re: How To Deal With A Stubborn Child by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 06, 2014
Very tricky situation here,scold her,she's lost to the world,keep indulging her,she will still get lost to the world,cos for how long will the parent be doing her wish? She needs special counselling,and divine intervention,else it will be too late to rescue her..most times,ladies like this change after being taught a lesson in life,by then it might be too too late.

(1) (Reply)

Effects Of Facebook On The Present Generation / Sex After Birth / Havanna Center Rug For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.