Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? (21888 Views)

Suggest Ways One Can Leave Cultism Without Being Hurt / E-cultism in romance section. / When Did Secret Cultism Enter Nigerian Secondary Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Tholuwaniey(m): 10:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
It is popularly Believed that The first cultist group in Nigeria was created by Prof. Wole Soyinka called "THE PIRATES CONFRATERNITY" in 1965

Cultism wouldn't have been in Nigeria if not for the abderian act by well esteemed professor.. Though reasons for his actions are best known to him.
But We all are aware of the negative menace cultism is causing in our society today and it rampant spread among our Potentially blessed youth
Now the question is..

Was Professor Wole Soyinka's act right?
After almost 50 years what are the positive influence confraternities has had in Nigeria at large?

share your thoughts

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
gentle jack......................arom8s

wole soyinka and his cohorts should be caught and hanged for creating an ELITIST group PIRATES CONFRATENITY and disguising it as a group fighting for students right...

I don’t believe in saying FTC but when you are the FTC in the 3 topics on the frontpage I think it calls for a robust celebration
I want to thank the following people
Seun for creating this amazing platform called nairaland
MTN for giving me this sweet MTN night plan
My papa, mama and sisters for always believing in me
My gf for giving me a wonderful BJ even as I was hustling for FTC
My side chick for providing the necessary place for me to pack my JT
And I want to specially thank my GF for treating my sidechick as a sister, afterall division of Labour saves time and energy
I wan thank all nairalanders for your amazing comments, squabble and hilarious political HIGGI-HAGA

and i pray that anybody that will like this post will have free k.i.t.ty by the end of today
Finally baba GOD I dey tuale for you at least for creating this wonderful day
GOD BLESS NIGERIA………..GOD bless GEJ,PEJ,PDP,APC,RIP etc

23 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Tranquill: 10:57pm On Jul 06, 2014
Professor Wole Soyinka did not create cultism but was among 6 students of UI that formed the confraternity which metamorphosed into cultism in various forms and shapes. Though the outcome may not have been what they envisaged, they have to share the blame. Back in the days one of the people that formed the initial confraternity in the person of Professor Muyiwa Awe (professor emeretus UI physics department) took it upon himself to educate particularly new students against the dangers of joining the cults including the so called pyrates that claim they r not a cult group. He organised seminars and so on. I remember him saying that though their intentions were not for evil, "their symbols from the very beginning were evil and demonic". He dedicated his time to really speak the truth about these things. I saw it as some form of restitution. If Soyinka can shed arrogance and totally condemn cultism including dissociating himself from pyrates confraternity and not try to justify it with one grammer or the other, it will go a long way especially as many young people see him as a role model and want to join cult because "Wole Soyinka dey pyrates. Na him start am sef".

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by colossus2: 11:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Tholuwaniey:
Now the question is..

Should I give you his address/contact details?

5 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Tholuwaniey(m): 11:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
colossus2:
Should I give you his address/contact details?
this isn't a place for your cheap pun

5 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by colossus2: 11:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
Tholuwaniey:
this isn't a place for your cheap pun
Is that the reply to the question asked?

Or have you forgotten you added this?
v v v v v v v
Tholuwaniey:
share your thoughts

6 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by jnrbayano(m): 7:01am On Jul 07, 2014
Tholuwaniey: It is popularly Believed that The first cultist group in Nigeria was created by Prof. Wole Soyinka called "THE PIRATES CONFRATERNITY" in 1965

Cultism wouldn't have been in Nigeria if not for the abderian act by well esteemed professor.. Though reasons for his actions are best known to him.
But We all are aware of the negative menace cultism is causing in our society today and it rampant spread among our Potentially blessed youth
Now the question is..

After almost 50 years what are the positive influence confraternities has had in Nigeria at large?

share your thoughts

I don't think Prof. Wole Soyinka implored or forced anyone into cultism.

6 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Guykhena(m): 7:02am On Jul 07, 2014
Who is to blame?
Uhmm those getting involve in it
I believe when Soyinka started this his intentions was totally for good,but as some clueless youths jump in,they compromised it and turned it into what we know of now.

4 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by TRADELYN: 7:02am On Jul 07, 2014
grin

Anyone involved should blame himself/herself...there's freedom of association naah!
undecided
The one you think is the founder was just brave to lead/set the path tongue

Are you in need of HELP for your RESEARCH PROJECT?

2 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by kennyonthrone(m): 7:05am On Jul 07, 2014
Lol!cultism has no positive impact,to me I jst see it as one of d. Component of sch life,,,,cultism has it way of bubblin d sch environz nd alsoo presently aint as bad as we were made 2 bliv,jst a few bad eggs alwz makin it look bad

If u can live wit d intimidation surrounded wit bin a jew as I did durin ma schhh dayz good 4 u,
SAY NO TO CULTISM,E NO DEY PAY,bt if u must b one Broda use ur head#ZEYA:peace#

6 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by 1United1: 7:05am On Jul 07, 2014
Tranquill: Professor Wole Soyinka did not create cultism but was among 6 students of UI that formed the confraternity which metamorphosed into cultism in various forms and shapes. Though the outcome may not have been what they envisaged, they have to share the blame. Back in the days one of the people that formed the initial confraternity in the person of Professor Muyiwa Awe (professor emeretus UI physics department) took it upon himself to educate particularly new students against the dangers of joining the cults including the so called pyrates that claim they r not a cult group. He organised seminars and so on. I remember him saying that though their intentions were not for evil, "their symbols from the very beginning were evil and demonic". He dedicated his time to really speak the truth about these things. I saw it as some form of restitution. If Soyinka can shed arrogance and totally condemn cultism including dissociating himself from pyrates confraternity and not try to justify it with one grammer or the other, it will go a long way especially as many young people see him as a role model and want to join cult because "Wole Soyinka dey pyrates. Na him start am sef".

Intellectual laziness at its best! I am quite sure, you did not read the said article by Muyiwa Awe, otherwise you wouldn't write this jaundiced and myopic comment above. No time did Muyiwa Awe describe Pyrate Con fraternity as evil, he has denied making such a wild comment severally in his many rejoinder since that twisted interview he had with Thisday in 2002. If you must know, the said Muyiwa Awe still relates with us till today. Enough said.

6 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by igbonla(m): 7:05am On Jul 07, 2014
It is lazy to go with the line of thought that Wole Soyinka contributed to the menace of cultism in Nigeria, we can as well blame the missionaries for the woes of the pentecostal churches in Nigeria today!
Every good action is subject to manipulation by the evil doers, the challenge before us is to fight all these evils with knowledge.

12 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 07, 2014
[b] Generally, I think the parents are to be blamed to a large extent.
Most parents have failed to educate their children in that aspect.

The stvpid thing is that, most people believe in this fairytale of weilding much power to oppress and intimidate, get great connections with powerful and wealthy cultists, earn respect, gain favours from other cultists such as lecturers, CEO etc. But, that's the biggest fallacy ever.

Disadvantages includes: once you join a cult group, you automatically become a sworn enemy to other endless arch rival cults, hence your life I great danger forever except you denounce.

The government clamp down team will get you anytime.

You'd face oppression from other superior members of your homogeneous cult.

They will send you to inflict wounds and sometimes kill people deemed as enemies and in the end you might die in the process.

You'd be subjected to paying dues always.

You'd be forced to do drugs.

And finally, you'd be an enemy to your dad, mom, yourself, you siblings and the earth.

Don't let it take all your energy.
#Don't do cultism... [/b]

11 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Yoney007(f): 7:06am On Jul 07, 2014
No one....The aim of the founding fathers was deviated from....

2 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by 1United1: 7:06am On Jul 07, 2014
Tholuwaniey: It is popularly Believed that The first cultist group in Nigeria was created by Prof. Wole Soyinka called "THE PIRATES CONFRATERNITY" in 1965

Now the question is..

share your thoughts

What do you set to achieve with this senseless topic of yours? And who is the Mod that brought it to the front page? See bigotry at its best! Nairaland is really for kids!

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Yungwizzzy28(m): 7:06am On Jul 07, 2014
They should be blamed for it

if they had brains as they claimed, they would have envisaged what the outcome would look

what form of silly 'intelligence group' will you form with a skull and two bones on? And call yourselves sealords??

they knew their intentions and what you're seeing now is the outcome!!

I blame them for starting a 'gang' in the first place
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by NewsINigeria(m): 7:07am On Jul 07, 2014
hok
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by cyril83(m): 7:07am On Jul 07, 2014
What are the positive influence religion has had in Nigeria?

Confraternity has its own advantage if played well.

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Ohjerry: 7:08am On Jul 07, 2014
OP, why now?

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by AMAKAVIOLA: 7:09am On Jul 07, 2014
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by ebullientV(m): 7:09am On Jul 07, 2014
The cultists that go on rampage on our campuses leaves nothing but trails of blood and tragedy in it's wake..

Even the six students who formed d 'group' back then did it 2 revolt against authority.. So what are we not saying?

We shouldn't even be asking who's to blame.. The security operatives only have to be active and do their job.

You only need to witness the 'colonisation of a jew man' on d streets of Ekosodin 2 know why these guys need to be shown d right way again..
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by 1United1: 7:09am On Jul 07, 2014
angry
Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by NewsINigeria(m): 7:09am On Jul 07, 2014
Yungwizzzy28: Xx

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 07, 2014
Cultism is almost non existence in today's world joreh... Everybody dey chase money.

Just the same way our Generals now have pot-belly,

Politicians don't even Murder themselves anymore, they just plan and agree on the sharing formula.

Same way with Cultism. . Yahoo and Yahoo+, is keeping most of the young peeps busy.

Which I think is better anyway.

5 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by dridowu: 7:12am On Jul 07, 2014
Anyone blaming Prof Soyink/Prof Awe for cultism must have myopic brain. Nobody can force you to join organization. During my UG days in UNIBADAN i joined five student organization voluntarily, no one forced me to do it, i was pleased with their aims and objective. So any student or any individual that joins club , he/she is responsible for their action. No society must be held responsible.

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by eagleeye2: 7:12am On Jul 07, 2014
The evil that men do, lives with them. Yes, the six men didn't have the intention of forming the kind of deadly cult groups we have today. But if truth be told, they were revolting against constituted authority.
This same Soyinka wore a mask and tried to take over a radio station. whatever be the case, Soyinka and his brethren sowed the seed of cultism in our society.

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by ahika(m): 7:13am On Jul 07, 2014
The Student, the school, the society at large should be blamed btw when are we going to start proffering solutions instead casting stones

2 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by sohl7(m): 7:14am On Jul 07, 2014
Those who formed it. They should have thought about the negative consequence when they formed it....a coin has 2 face

1 Like

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by Amya(f): 7:14am On Jul 07, 2014
School fraternities are common especially in America. Normally these fraternities have objectives which are completely legit. To me Soyinka did no wrong. The people who did are those who turned it into a blood sucking venture years after he started it.

Read about the establishment of fraternities and sororities in north america en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities_and_sororities_in_North_America

5 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by UnimkeAk(m): 7:17am On Jul 07, 2014
Ahoy pc

Odas is Odas (010)
No Friend, No Foe (NFNF)
Absolute No Lagging (ANL)

CAPON BLOOD

5 Likes

Re: Cultism:who Is To Be Blamed? by MCMLXXVI(m): 7:18am On Jul 07, 2014
The military junta is to blame for hijacking the fraternities and arming them specifically with the aim of harrassing lecturers, deans and vice-chancellors they felt were against them. That was how it all began. You can't tell me those boys are to blame, because even in established universities like Harvard, Stanford, Utah, Vanderbilt and Columbia, there are non-violent fraternities recognised and respected even by the school authorities. But down here in Nigeria, they were hijacked by the oppressive military government for their own benefit.
It all started with them.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Birthday Wishes!!!! / Container-laden Truck Falls Off Ijora Bridge (PHOTOS) / 5 Things You Need To Do Before The Year Ends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.