Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) (46864 Views)

OLX Cars: How To Detect Fraud / OLX Is The Most Useless Website / Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Lexusgs430: 7:17am On Jul 17, 2014
[quote author=ubiquitousade]
i quite disagree: Total responsibility is on the buyer but olx has got to find a way to remove such fraudulent ads.

You seem to be agreeing with me. What about Buyer protection? Not unless olx wants to be known to aid criminal activities.
Not everyone is Street-savvy, and providers of online activities, should include in their business framework, a system where buyers are given a degree of protection and shield against fraudulent sellers.
I agree no system is a 100% fool-proof, but the level of fraudulent ads on olx, is almost becoming a joke!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Baldmarv(m): 11:50am On Jul 17, 2014
cecegorz:

For your mind now, your gibberish made sense abi?
They spend millions of bucks advertising in DSTV and online, yet they can't filter the adverts for credibility.
Is Nairaland not an open platform?
Ask yourself why you can't see such ridiculous prices here.
Are you daft or what? Are they charging you for anything you post to sell on olx? So where do you expect them to get the money to pay the people that will sit down and confirm every price from pant to beans people want to sell online? So if my car is really worth 500k and i decide to sell for 300k, i should be censored and not allowed to post it abi?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by dombible(m): 7:06pm On Jul 19, 2014
Baldmarv:
Are you daft or what? Are they charging you for anything you post to sell on olx? So where do you expect them to get the money to pay the people that will sit down and confirm every price from pant to beans people want to sell online? So if my car is really worth 500k and i decide to sell for 300k, i should be censored and not allowed to post it abi?
for me olx is the best market place that has helped my business to grow faster. I got alot of customers on olx and no one has scam me or do i scam any one. The key to buy on olx is to follow the terms and condition of olx that says do not pay for goods you have not seen and others, its so bad that some Nigerians don't even read the terms and condition of a site then stick to the rules befor processing further. If you looking for a better deal even cheaper than what you can get in your local shop just go to olx ,stick to the rules and you won't be scam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by dombible(m): 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2014
ubiquitousade:
i quite disagree: Total responsibility is on the buyer but olx has got to find a way to remove such fraudulent ads.

you have said it all.
i have bought and sold cars on olx and i can say it is still the best for me.
Sorry if you are scammed but i don't think its olx fort because you did not stick to the terms and condition given to you by olx. Olx warns never you pay for a goods you have not receive.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ubiquitousade(m): 8:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
dombible: Sorry if you are scammed but i don't think its olx fort because you did not stick to the terms and condition given to you by olx. Olx warns never you pay for a goods you have not receive.
i didnt say i was scammed,
Lexusgs430 is right. olx should protect buyers against fraudulent sellers, the warning is not enough
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ewizard1: 10:13am On Jul 20, 2014
bloglover: I do most of my buying and selling transactions on Olx and I have never been scammed for once neither have I scammed anybody. U guys don't just know how to buy and sell, that's why u get scammed.

1. why not insist on seeing the seller one one one before making purchases, especially substantial purchases. If the seller is not around u, pls don't buy.

2. why not stop paying money in advance then waiting for the goods that may not come, not every body can be trusted.

3. why not properly scrutinize the product before paying for it. (get an engineer if necessary)

4. remember that nobody is forcing u to use Olx, so if u are scammed, its due to your carelessness and as such nobody's business.

please Olx has location demarcation so buy from someone close to your area and stop taking unnecessary risk.
If u don't see what u need close to your area on Olx, u have two options:
a. Go to the market and look for it
b. take d risk and don't complain if things go bad.

THANK YOU.
[size=15pt] WELL SAID !!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ewizard1: 10:20am On Jul 20, 2014
cecegorz:

For your mind now, your gibberish made sense abi?
They spend millions of bucks advertising in DSTV and online, yet they can't filter the adverts for credibility.
Is Nairaland not an open platform?
Ask yourself why you can't see such ridiculous prices here.
No! i disagree, for the fact that there is a Disclaimer on that site, all buyers for themselves. They have so many to handle and i dont think they should take the stress going trough every ad posted on their site.

Instead, i'll agree with what a mate suggested. THE REPORT BUTTON feature. It would help a long way.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ewizard1: 10:25am On Jul 20, 2014
Just one thing should help, the SCAM REPORT BUTTON should be added. Atleast , most people should know when a price is worth a particular item. Once such report is received. A simple button DELETE AD should be clicked!
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by BodyKiss(m): 1:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
DWJOBScom: Online fraud is everywhere not just Nigeria and it's falls on greedy people who rushes to make quick gain from "too good to be true" goods. The moment u see something u like online - u look for a number and call - your conversation with the person, the body language etc will determine your going ahead or consult some friends.

Don't talk like your president. The scams emerging from Nigerians are nothing compare to others. after oil, scam is Nigeria's second biggest export.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Lexusgs430: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
ewizard1: Just one thing should help, the SCAM REPORT BUTTON should be added. Atleast , most people should know when a price is worth a particular item. Once such report is received. A simple button DELETE AD should be clicked!

Are you seriously considering putting the delete ad option for all? Imagine the far reaching consequences!!! That option should only be olx admin enabled.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ewizard1: 5:38pm On Jul 20, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Are you seriously considering putting the delete ad option for all? Imagine the far reaching consequences!!! That option should only be olx admin enabled.
Yeah, only OLX admin can delete ads. but the Report button would be available for every user to report the scammer's ad.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by sunnyprof: 11:24am On Jul 21, 2014
or the ones who will tell you to pay a deposit to a bank account and take teller to wait at the Custom's gate in Abuja or Badagry........

Very hilarious... they only need your 10k and nor all the 70k for 'voodoo' iphone.

Buyers should know what it is like once you have a discussion on phone with the seller !!

I expect the seller to tell you his shop or arrange for you to see the product, then pay and collect or you pay on delivery, its simple.
Online purchases are simple but with rules to guide you. So please learn the rules before you dabble into it.

I have paid upfront for Memory cards and Flash drives on Tradestable and it was delivered accordingly thru FEDEX in Yenagoa from Lagos, several times. Paid upfront for Sony Xperia Ultra (N135k) on Konga and delivered to Rivers state accordingly and also linked a phone shop in Wuse II and Computer village for purchase of iphone and Projector on OLX at different times too. Even advert of a seller at Alaba International market on newspaper, paid for was delivered third day by ABC transport to PH, no haxles. The important thing, know the rules and scammers will run from you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by DWJOBScom(m): 6:46am On Jul 24, 2014
BodyKiss:

Don't talk like your president. The scams emerging from Nigerians are nothing compare to others. after oil, scam is Nigeria's second biggest export.

Don't look for excuses and look out for blames......take the bit
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 24, 2014
We can't complain about Olx administrators when we have a character like Chelseabmw shielding, aiding and abetting despite been a Mod in the auto section!
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 24, 2014
My Horrible Experience In The Hand Of Inspired Autos - Autos - Nairaland
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by luv2luvu: 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2014
one thing i really hate about these dealers on Olx is that some are not always honest with them selves you will see car's for sale in port Harcourt with the dealers number on the advert call the number and they will tell you the car is in Lagos so annoying.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by gbemsone(f): 11:34am On Aug 07, 2014
the site is really reliable ,i bought a car from there last three month ..
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by oseo1(m): 10:46pm On Aug 07, 2014
Olx has warned the buyers to be careful, if you choose not to heed the warnings then whatever happens is on you. Craigslist in the states has similar problems even with a report button. greedy people will always get scammed period. I have a few things for sale on Olx, some for relatively cheap prices however it doesn't mean it's a scam. I am selling the for a client who moved houses and is selling all the old things (some brand new) for give away prices. Until you know the whole story it is not fair to just generalize that every advert with a cheap price is a scam.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
smartchoice: I think the site owners are into the scam there too cos I can't imagine Nairaland getting infested with such a vast amount of dubious advertisements! Olx=scam buyers beware!

Was surprised to see femmy2010 advertisements on olx!
Femmy2010 shocked

him dan dey scam ppl since 14BC ni grin
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2014
MichaelSokoto:
Femmy2010 shocked

him dan dey scam ppl since 14BC ni grin

Femmy2010 is no scammer... He's just an hardworking dude with integrity ....don't misquote me again!
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by shoppyanno(m): 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2014
Haven read diverse comments on the OLX saga, I wana share my personal experience not what I heard or was told. I recently bought my car based on an advert on OLX.

I saw 2 different adverts for the kinda car I wanted.
The 1st seller posted in May while the 2nd posted in August.
I decided to call the 2nd seller since his post was recent beliveing the 1st wld have sold his since his post was May.
The price the 2nd seller gave me & his rapport on phone wasn't encouraging.
My intution pushed me to call the first seller & see if the car was available & at what price.
I called & the car was still available & the price lower compared to the 2nd seller. I ended up talking with this man almost 40mins cos of his mannerism.
Meanwhile, the Car posted by the TWO sellers were the same & colour also. But the first seller had more pictures(10) than the 2nd (4).
I travelled down to Lagos to meet with the 1st seller who posted the car advert in May. He received me warmly & even told me to test drive the car without following me.
I test drove the car & liked it. So we talked about price & told him I saw exactly the same car also on OLX so he shld not do yanga with price.
He told me to show him the picture, and on sighting the picture, GUESS WHAT?
THE CAR POSTED BY THE 2ND SELLER IN AUGUST WAS THE SAME CAR I WAS PLANNING TO BUY FROM HIM.
He got the guys hone number called the guy up & pretened to be interested in buying the car & wanted to see the car. The guy now told him(first seller) to give him some minutes.GUESS WHAT?
The guy called the first seller (as in original ownerr)to know where the car is. That's how t the original owner "raked" for him & told him to pull the advert of OLX.
In conclusion I took my mechanic to the original owner's place, he tested the car & approved the car.

IT IS WORTHY TO NOTE THAT I DID THE FOLLOWING

1. I travelled down to see the car myself & meet the seller.
2. I test drove the car
3. Since the car was an American Spec, I did a CARFAX report on the car & all the info tallied with what the original owner gave me including MILEAGE
4 I took my Mechanic to assess the car.
5. I checked the the papers of the car to be sure its Original Custom papers & cleared @ TIN CAN
6. Paid, collected reciept & customs clearing papers & took the car away.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by rofemiguwa(f): 2:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Why pple come dey crucify my colleague wey buy car for OLX

Ogar o!

Human beans are confusing toriolorun
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by yungboss(m): 4:39pm On Sep 12, 2014
rofemiguwa: Why pple come dey crucify my colleague wey buy car for OLX

Ogar o!

Human beans are confusing toriolorun
nobody crucified her...atleast you learnt something and I'm sure you had a few words of advice for her.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by bigsam75: 10:21pm On Sep 12, 2014
Olx is a scam and full of fraudsters...beware
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ubiquitousade(m): 11:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
olx really need to put some checks in place to curb this crime. gone were the days when they actually verify the ads, they never do so nowadays.
i did a check in the car section and for the first ten pages of ads for that day (without using the search option) one can only point to one or two seemingly genuine ads on each page. the rest are pure scam.
its just so pathetic. no wonder i wasnt making much sales from it like last year
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ubiquitousade(m): 11:41pm On Sep 17, 2014
shoppyanno: . He received me warmly & even told me to test drive the car without following me.

pls if you are selling dont ever let the buyer test drive alone, its very risky

THE CAR POSTED BY THE 2ND SELLER IN AUGUST WAS THE SAME CAR I WAS PLANNING TO BUY FROM HIM.
He got the guys hone number called the guy up & pretened to be interested in buying the car & wanted to see the car. The guy now told him(first seller) to give him some minutes.GUESS WHAT?
The guy called the first seller (as in original ownerr)to know where the car is. That's how t the original owner "raked" for him & told him to pull the advert of OLX.

i dont think the guy wanted to scam cos he called the real owner.

In conclusion I took my mechanic to the original owner's place, he tested the car & approved the car.

2. I test drove the car
3. Since the car was an American Spec, I did a CARFAX report on the car & all the info tallied with what the original owner gave me including MILEAGE
5. I checked the the papers of the car to be sure its Original Custom papers & cleared @ TIN CAN

KUDOS, Simple and straight
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by slim147(m): 12:44pm On Dec 05, 2014
I just cant beleive some people can open thier mouth and still say they got scammed. What a pathetic comment, you saw an advert online, called up the buyer and he asked for money upfront for some reason, you sent it and come on the internet to tell people how you get scammed on OLX? aint u guys ashamed , you should go get your brain checked.. That means you could even get scammed by a 2 year old kid.. lol

\Well, i have a Private Jet for sale.. for just N750K, Insterested buyers should pay 10% upfront before seeing the car lol.. Im sure people will still fall for this lol....
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by wilson71: 9:23pm On Jun 03, 2015
Ujmarket.com is a Nigerian leading Free Classifieds site. Search and post classified ads in For Sale, Cars, laptops, Jobs, Apartments, Housing, Pets, Personals, music and other categories. UJ Market is a subsidiary of 3x Properties Nigeria Real Estate Gallery helps millions of consumers nationwide find their new apartment home through innovative Internet, mobile, social and print solutions. A trusted brand, 3X Properties offers renters content-rich apartment listings in a user-friendly format, leading them to the right apartment in the right location, at a rate within the renter’s budget. We constantly research and test consumer engagement in every facet of our product so that we can deliver the best experience possible to Nigeria 3X Properties. We make apartment shopping easy! www.ujmarket.com
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by unphilaz(m): 2:00pm On Dec 25, 2015
shoppyanno:
Haven read diverse comments on the OLX saga, I wana share my personal experience not what I heard or was told. I recently bought my car based on an advert on OLX.

I saw 2 different adverts for the kinda car I wanted.
The 1st seller posted in May while the 2nd posted in August.
I decided to call the 2nd seller since his post was recent beliveing the 1st wld have sold his since his post was May.
The price the 2nd seller gave me & his rapport on phone wasn't encouraging.
My intution pushed me to call the first seller & see if the car was available & at what price.
I called & the car was still available & the price lower compared to the 2nd seller. I ended up talking with this man almost 40mins cos of his mannerism.
Meanwhile, the Car posted by the TWO sellers were the same & colour also. But the first seller had more pictures(10) than the 2nd (4).
I travelled down to Lagos to meet with the 1st seller who posted the car advert in May. He received me warmly & even told me to test drive the car without following me.
I test drove the car & liked it. So we talked about price & told him I saw exactly the same car also on OLX so he shld not do yanga with price.
He told me to show him the picture, and on sighting the picture, GUESS WHAT?

2. I test drove the car

hmm thanks for your testimony... looking forward to do same on olx when my soon coming time to get my first car comes....
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by unphilaz(m): 2:03pm On Dec 25, 2015
ubiquitousade:
olx really need to put some checks in place to curb this crime. gone were the days when they actually verify the ads, they never do so nowadays.
i did a check in the car section and for the first ten pages of ads for that day (without using the search option) one can only point to one or two seemingly genuine ads on each page. the rest are pure scam.
its just so pathetic. no wonder i wasnt making much sales from it like last year

hello.. from what i read you posted, it seems you are not following the rules guiding olx sales... you just simply LOOKED and completely decided its scam... if i need to i will simply follow this steps by this poster

2. I test drove the car
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Morenzy15: 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
Your car accessories is incomplete if you don't have a portable 12v Tire Inflator Compressor Air pump.
It is very useful in case of travelling and having a flat tire on the express or where there seems not to
be a vulcanizer in sight.
It is very essential for every car user to have this device in his/her vehicle.
Quickly order for yours now on any of our online stores;
/morenzy-business-classic
www./fagbolade
www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/morenzy-business-classic

We accept pay on delivery and we deliver nationwide within 3-8 days.
A trial will convince you.

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 05, 2016
It reminds me of the google trader website , had alot of fraudsters there, I think they all migrated to OLX. Buyers beware.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Problem: My Reverse Gear Gives A Scary Jerk With A Sound. / Innoson Partners With Shell For The Supply Of Innoson Vehicles(photos) / Innoson Releases 4x4 IVM Carrier (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.