Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? (4435 Views)

What To Check Befor Buying A Nigerian Used Vehicle / Why Are Fairly Used Vehicle Parts "TOKUNBO" More Expensive Than New One's / When Is The Increment On The Tariff Of Imported Used Cars Taken Effect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? by Fixed: 11:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
Here are some scenarios:
1. In the recent past, Toyota had a massive recall on some of its vehicles due to some safety concerns - including sticky pedals vs floor mats. Some of my friends have been using some of these recalled vehicles ever before the issues were detected. How will these issues be fixed here in Nigeria? Can the Nigerian Toyota dealers do it at all and will it be free as it was in US?
2. My brother has a 2005 Infiniti FX35 that has dashboard cracks and bubbles. The dash is really an ugly sight that makes a mess of the luxury vehicle. He has gone to price a used dash from spare parts market and was told to bring a handsome N130K and there were not so many in the market to start with. On searching the internet, I realised that dash bubbling is a common problem with FX35/45 from Nov 2002 up to 2008 models. Loads of complaints. Infiniti therefore extended the warrantee for the dash to 8 years and sent letters to owners for replacement at no cost. The issue now is that there is no sure way of knowing whether a replacement bought in Nigeria will not be one of the defects since our guys get their spare parts from mostly accidented vehicles which could be one of those models. My brother would have gotten a free dash replacement if he were to be in US.

So is there any way of handling issues that have to do with manufacturer recalls in Nigeria especially for foreign used vehicles?
Re: What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? by KunleA2(m): 6:52am On Jan 17, 2012
Fixed:

Here are some scenarios:
1. In the recent past, Toyota had a massive recall on some of its vehicles due to some safety concerns - including sticky pedals vs floor mats. Some of my friends have been using some of these recalled vehicles ever before the issues were detected. How will these issues be fixed here in Nigeria? Can the Nigerian Toyota dealers do it at all and will it be free as it was in US?
2. My brother has a 2005 Infiniti FX35 that has dashboard cracks and bubbles. The dash is really an ugly sight that makes a mess of the luxury vehicle. He has gone to price a used dash from spare parts market and was told to bring a handsome N130K and there were not so many in the market to start with. On searching the internet, I realised that dash bubbling is a common problem with FX35/45 from Nov 2002 up to 2008 models. Loads of complaints. Infiniti therefore extended the warrantee for the dash to 8 years and sent letters to owners for replacement at no cost. The issue now is that there is no sure way of knowing whether a replacement bought in Nigeria will not be one of the defects since our guys get their spare parts from mostly accidented vehicles which could be one of those models. My brother would have gotten a free dash replacement if he were to be in US.

So is there any way of handling issues that have to do with manufacturer recalls in Nigeria especially for foreign used vehicles?

[b]Recall is nothing any manufacturer likes to handle. No matter how minor or major is the issue. Its always an expensive undertaking (on the part of the manufacturer). The bottom line is that THE RECALL WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MARKET WHERE THE VEHICLE WAS SOLD.

Its not practical for the manufacturer to sell a car into American Market and be open to a recall for the vehicle if it was shipped overseas. Nissan/Infiniti doesn't have dealers/agents all over the world, hence they cannot say they will honor the recall in Nigeria especially when the vehicle wasn't sold in Nigeria. Do they handle recall in Ethiopia? Zaire? Libya? just because it was shipped there. Its not practical.

As per the FX, i have a personal experience with it. I handled a similar issue about 2 years ago for a client of mine. INFINITI WILL HONOR THE WARRANTY IF WE CAN BRING THE VEHICLE TO ANY OF THEIR DEALERSHIP. Well, since the vehicle is already in Nigeria, the only option we are left with is to buy another dashboard. Cost a little over $1,000 from the US.

Another factor that you have to consider is that you need to find someone traveling to Nigeria to help you bring it along. Otherwise, Fedex wants almost $800 to ship it cos of it odd size. Its about 5 feet long.

Unless you can find a dash from the year that is not affected by the "bubble" issue, its better to get a brand new one. Otherwise, you are bound to run into the same issue soon. The problem is from the material used in making the dash. It has been corrected in the replacement ones and the newer ones. But if you get a used one, you are in the same boat.

Add to the fact that you have to be sure that the new dash will fit. I have to provide the VIN to buy mine. Cos if the used one has a different accessory from your car, the holes might not line up.

Problem is more pronounced in temperate regions like Nigeria. In alternative, you can shave off the "pimples" on the dash and find a good upholstery guy to cover it with a very fine leather. And make sure they do a good job.

Afterall, its not practical to bring it back to the states. Below are the pics of the one i bought for my client.

Happy Motoring.

Awaye.[/b]

Re: What Should One Do When There Is A Recall On An Imported Used Vehicle? by Fixed: 11:16am On Jan 17, 2012
Kunle-A, thank you for your contribution and advice. I will presnt your suggested options to my brother. I can imagine that he will rather contact any of his friends to get the dashboard for him from US when they are visiting home to minimise the cost. We are yet to come across a brand new dash from any spare part seller. For me the baby is too pretty for the 'pimple' shave off and adding a pancake covering by a Nigerian beautician! grin I don't trust our upholstery guys for such a precision-based job, besides it's going to look too odd.

Thanks all the same and may I say, Awaye.

(1) (Reply)

Is Buying A Car With A Mileage Of 109,000 Miles A Safe/good Buy? / What Happened To Izuogu Automobile / Insearch Of Diagnostic Tool With ECU Programming(J2534 Flashing)capability In PH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.