Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? (21895 Views)

How Would You React If Your Newly Married Wife Told You This / What Is The Best Thing To Do When Your Newly Married Wife Says No To You On Bed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by mujiboy(m): 9:13am On Jul 09, 2014
beolar: Pls,pple should not make it sound as if mum-inlaws are bad.if the situation warrants that they stay with U,pls accept them and their flaws.
The key thing is for the young couple to prepare their minds and determine to live peacefully with them.
I took my hubbys grandmother not his mum oo but paternal grandmum cos she raised him,she was alone and old cos my hubbys dad which is her only child had died yrs back,my husby had sisters but non of them had space in their homes ,they live in selfcontain apartment while we are blessed with 3bedroom flat all rooms ensuit,we took this decision because she can't wash her clothes anymore,she can't cook forherself ,@times she fall sick and nobody will inform us all these and many other conditions made us take her in.
Although it is not easy but we did our best for over two yrs,until dat day she slept and never woke up .I am so happy I did allow her in cos God had really blessed us ,I remember how she use to pray for us everymorning.
pls young couples,I know It might not be easy but nothing is impossible if u set ur mind to do it.
You and your hubby are good people..

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by gebest: 9:18am On Jul 09, 2014
NONONOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Bigsteveg(m): 9:21am On Jul 09, 2014
myads890: She has no reason to. Even if her husband is dead, the best solution will be to buy her a vibr*tor

What are we saying, what are u saying? If ure like dis, am scared for u o bro.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Bigsteveg(m): 9:24am On Jul 09, 2014
dagentility: No way,what happened to the house she was living in before we got married. I love my privacy alot. If i wear bum short now,she go dey scream say i wan seduce her son.

Lol, u wan deduce her son..Ur own husband!!!
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by QweenMercy(f): 9:29am On Jul 09, 2014
dagentility: No way,what happened to the house she was living in before we got married. I love my privacy alot. If i wear bum short now,she go dey scream say i wan seduce her son.

Shey no b yah husby ni??.....U ave every right to seduce him jur....lmfao
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Bigsteveg(m): 9:31am On Jul 09, 2014
missojugo:

Is it ideal to let a rat run free in a room full of cheese

Is it ur mother ure calling a rat?
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by TheMatrix3: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2014

You've slept in ur bf's house for far to long grin
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by aminaeke: 9:43am On Jul 09, 2014
I dont agree with you, the first months of marriage should be a time of blending between the couple - learning each other the more and trying to adjust their life to accomodate each other, even her own mother should not disturb the newly married (am not against the mother inlaws visiting latter) you said what if the woman is a widow or is sick- get a helper for her, you dont immediately a woman is married to you bring in your sick or widowed mother for her to start taking care of, it will simply look as if you married her cos you needed someone to take care of your mother. BUT AFTER THE FEW MONTHS OR YEARS, the mother inlaws can visit the couple.

owobokiri: We tend to blow this thing out of propoortion most times. A young gal is courting a guy and gets on well with the guys mother, pretending to find no problems with her presence in her guys place all the while. Then the marriage is solemnized and she turns a tiger finding faults with her every act all of a sudden. This just happened with a relative and I don't think the young gal is totally innocent. She knows why the woman was/is there! She just lost her husband and has no female issues. You don't expect her to go and die of lonliness in the village! It is not the ideal situation but be flexible sometimes! He is your husband, we all know, but he is somebodys son too! Everybody is saying no no no as if a mother in law is one wingless witch from hell, including ladies who will use the excuse of childbirth to bring in their mothers on almost a permanent basis. The man should take charge. You know and understand the two women, try to manage things in a matured way. While mothers shouldn't make their married childs home their permanent home unless situations like the above example forces them do so, any marriage that can only succed when the mother in law is treated as an outcast should not be consumated in the first place! You freedom loving ladies should find ways to accommodate your mother in laws. Your husbands came from a family, they didnt drop from the sky.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Lordabas: 9:54am On Jul 09, 2014
owobokiri:
We tend to blow this thing out of propoortion most times. A young gal is courting a guy and gets on well with the guys mother, pretending to find no problems with her presence in her guys place all the while. Then the marriage is solemnized and she turns a tiger finding faults with her every act all of a sudden. This just happened with a relative and I don't think the young gal is totally innocent. She knows why the woman was/is there! She just lost her husband and has no female issues. You don't expect her to go and die of lonliness in the village! It is not the ideal situation but be flexible sometimes! He is your husband, we all know, but he is somebodys son too! Everybody is saying no no no as if a mother in law is one wingless witch from hell, including ladies who will use the excuse of childbirth to bring in their mothers on almost a permanent basis. The man should take charge. You know and understand the two women, try to manage things in a matured way. While mothers shouldn't make their married childs home their permanent home unless situations like the above example forces them do so, any marriage that can only succed when the mother in law is treated as an outcast should not be consumated in the first place! You freedom loving ladies should find ways to accommodate your mother in laws. Your husbands came from a family, they didnt drop from the sky.
I concur.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by nathdim: 10:03am On Jul 09, 2014
What about a situation where a man lives in the city grew up in the city and builds a house of his own currently living with the mother and he decides to get married does the mother in law paves way for them I need good answers
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by princesschloe: 10:04am On Jul 09, 2014
I think we should take note of the key point here which is"newly married" couple. No one is saying MILs are not welcomed in the home, the issue is are they supposed to be with the newly wedded??. kindly stick to the Op's question! In my own opinion it is not right, not for any reason.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Sacramento4real(m): 10:07am On Jul 09, 2014
[quote author=myads890]She has no reason to. Even if her husband is dead, the best solution will be to buy her a vibr*tor[/quote ur case dey God hand o,guy.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Godmystrength: 10:14am On Jul 09, 2014
whenever the issue of MIL is mentioned, the guys always assume it is only their mother that is been referred to here. The babe's mother is also a MIL. Some MILs(both sides) are just so troublesome.

Example is my grandmother (my father's mother). She once said she can't stay in lagos so all the children agreed to be sending feeding money to her and also be visiting her from time to time. When she now fell sick, my dad now insisted that she must leave the village and come stay with one of her children so that she will be well taken care of. The children agreed to take her to one of her daughter's place(the daughter is a housewife) and my daddy was sending her feeding money to her. After a while, another of her daughter sent my daddy a very BAD text msg abusing him that he refuse to take care of his mother (she included some medical jargons about granma having high BP, high sugar etc) and that if his mother dies in an inlaw's place, then shame on him.

My daddy was so scared and told them to bring her to lagos for care. when she came and we took her to the hospital for checks, the doctors said she was okay and didn't have any of the things my aunty said. My grandma has been living with us since then. It was later we discovered that they just planned and stylishly came to abandon her with us. Their reason been that my grandma is too extravagant, can't be satisfied, her eating habit is expensive to maintain, and that when my daddy sends her feeding money, she will keep her money to herself and she will be dictating what she likes to eat. Meanwhile, my parents are working class and all the children are out of the house(some of us married and last child in university) which means that she will be the only one left alone in the house till they come back and she can dictate like dictator. There was a day my mummy served her food and she was eating. when she heard my daddy's voice from outside, she started crying. imagine you as a man coming back from work and meet your mother crying while eating.

Thank God for my daddy(he knows what his mother is capable of doing) he didn't even look at her side. when she noticed my daddy wasn't concerned, she cleaned her face and finished her food. later my daddy now asked her why she was crying earlier and you can imagine what she said. She said that nobody use to eat her remnant(i.e. when she doesn't finish her food, we don't use to eat it, that my mummy use to pour it away). infact, i can go on and on. You can imagine if it was my mother complaining about her and telling her daughters to come and take her, i am sure people will say that she wont do that if it was her mother. Imagine the daughters saying that it my mummy that can accommodate her because they know that she won't be able to complain as per MIL things.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by dnawah(m): 10:17am On Jul 09, 2014
No way!!!mak wetin happen to my friend no happen to me o.anytime the mum come back,she go see him daughter dey cry.she dey tell am nothing if she ask am.so one day she no go far,and the guy begin hammer him wife.she begin shout"mummy mo!".the mum rush back carry stick nak him 4 waist.him no waka 4 three weeks.no way!

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by dsolo(m): 10:20am On Jul 09, 2014
Its wrong shocked

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Godmystrength: 10:30am On Jul 09, 2014
SO people know the kind of mothers they have and they know how difficult it is for them to even cope with them but they just expects that their spouse should be able to achieve that by default. It is not easy jare.

In my grandma's case, i am sure if it was my mummy that brought her mother and she behaves in like manner, my daddy won't even take half of the things my mummy is coping with. Imagine her still pounding yam at her age for my grandmother because that is what she wants to eat. she will not eat any poundo yam or machine yam o except she hears you pounding with mortal and pestle. if you give her eba, amala, semo etc,, she will carry the food to keep in her room and she will just be crying.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by willorie(f): 10:32am On Jul 09, 2014

Lol......seduce geh? Haba! Is her son not ur husband......abi na men outside u go dey seduce?
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Reference(m): 10:38am On Jul 09, 2014
There are also a lot of reasons couples will want in laws around them but cannot openly express them. Just a couple:

The marraige got off to a very bad start and all the wedding smiles are not real perhaps due to entrapment or whatever. The lady finds herself in a position where she needs 'cover' in case of....so she needs an extra pair of eyes, ears and possibly hands. Or know I'm full of trouble. My mouth contains more venom than a puff adder so I expect world war 3 regularly. Who won't want Seal Team 6 in the next room commanded by Captain mommy....and of course bring the dog as well for equal measure.

The lady or man is highly 'inexperienced' in domestic responsibilities. She is a grown Barbie or he is Ken. They know next to nothing so they need mommy to fill in the blanks. 'Ken, this is how to treat a lady....., Barb, that's not how to make toast. Well want do you want, a six month crash course or a two year diploma in kitchenomics. In the mean-time son in law makes do with mommy in law's cooking. Married to who again. Wonder, when we are getting married older and older each passing decade.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 09, 2014
Hell no, wetin she dey find, she can only come wen its necessary n nt durin d early period of marriage
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by ddeola: 10:45am On Jul 09, 2014
If it's the girl's mother, then the guy is marrying two wives and if it's the guy's mum, the girl is getting into a competition with a rival. It has its own merits and demerits.

In all, mothers or should I say parents should allow their children enjoy their marriage by letting them be. Visits are good but living with them is not ideal.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:47am On Jul 09, 2014
No...... Reasons too numerous to mention.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 09, 2014
nathdim: What about a situation where a man lives in the city grew up in the city and builds a house of his own currently living with the mother and he decides to get married does the mother in law paves way for them I need good answers

Such a Man Must be Ready to be the Head of his home and must have devised before marriage means on how he intends to minimise his mother's influence in the home. But this largely depends on the kind of mother he has.

Is she manipulative/ controlling? Is she the type that loves undue attention? Does his mother have a say on every single thing as he is living with his mother presently? Is she the one that cooks for him? Is she the one that decides what he does, what he wears, where he goes or how he spends? Does she decide what they both eat? Is she very particular about how food should be prepared and how the home is run?

If Yes is the answer to all the questions, then that man is NOT ready to get married and should not bother to make another woman's life miserable by marrying her.

If he really wants peace, he must be independent minded of his mother's influence and ready to be the HEAD. He must be the type that knows how to strike a balance. Left to me, i wouldnt advise any female to marry such a man IF she is not prepared for what she will experience there. If she is prepared and ready to cope, she can marry him.
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 09, 2014
Godmystrength: SO people know the kind of mothers they have and they know how difficult it is for them to even cope with them but they just expects that their spouse should be able to achieve that by default. It is not easy jare.

In my grandma's case, i am sure if it was my mummy that brought her mother and she behaves in like manner, my daddy won't even take half of the things my mummy is coping with. Imagine her still pounding yam at her age for my grandmother because that is what she wants to eat. she will not eat any poundo yam or machine yam o except she hears you pounding with mortal and pestle. if you give her eba, amala, semo etc,, she will carry the food to keep in her room and she will just be crying.

The first bolded is very True. Some people have terrible mothers who are manipilative and controlling. This is very common with people whose mothers have been controlling them right before they even got married. But these same people expect you to cope with them just like that. In fact, interference from family/relatives is one of the major cause of divorce. People just have to learn how to be balanced and avoid interference at all cost.

At the 2nd bolded, God forbid o!! Your mum is over trying ooooo. Pounded yam every single time? Haba!! You have not heard of those that after preparing food for them, they will say No they dnt want to eat that one o, they want to eat something else. After all the ceremony of putting the food together? Is that not wickedness? A woman i know got stroke and died simply because she aged sooo quickly out of stress of caring for her husband's mother. As old as she was, she was still doing hard work, going to the market and cook. She has being caring for her since they got married. Now she is dead but the husband's mother is still alive o. All their children ran away from home because of how difficult their grandmother is. Who wan stay for that house dey do wetin? I have a feeling that some men purposely get married so as to bring a woman to care for their mothers till the end of time. SMH.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Godmystrength: 11:12am On Jul 09, 2014
Sophyrocks:

The first bolded is very True. Some people have terrible mothers who are manipilative and controlling. This is very common with people whose mothers have been controlling them right before they even got married. But these same people expect you to cope with them just like that. In fact, interference from family/relatives is one of the major cause of divorce. People just have to learn how to be balanced and avoid interference at all cost.

At the 2nd bolded, God forbid o!! Your mum is over trying ooooo. Pounded yam every single time? Haba!! You have not heard of those that after preparing food for them, they will say No they dnt want to eat that one o, they want to eat something else. After all the ceremony of putting the food together? Is that not wickedness? A woman i know got stroke and died simply because she aged sooo quickly out of stress of caring for her husband's mother. As old as she was, she was still doing hard work, going to the market and cook. She has being caring for her since they got married. Now she is dead but the husband's mother is still alive o. All their children ran away from home because of how difficult their grandmother is. Who wan stay for that house dey do wetin? I have a feeling that some men purposely get married so as to bring a woman to care for their mothers till the end of time. SMH.
You are right jare. I don't think i can be as tolerant as she is. Imagine her saying she wants to start selling things. ask her where? In my mummy's shop o (My mummy has a shop built with her house where she sells provision when she comes back from work and during weekends). She wanted to take over the shop. When her wahala became too much, to avoid trouble, my mum had to vacate the shop for her. But she now also wants my mummy to be the one to go to the market to buy the things she will be selling in the shop. My mummy no gree that one o. Now the shop is there and nobody is using it and she is happy. You can imagine if that shop was my mum's only source of income. it won't have been easy for her to let go and that would have led to another trouble. Her other children don't even visit or call her and when they even call my daddy, they don't want to talk to her. And she sef no send them. Anytime you talk about money to her hearing, she will quickly rush to her room to go and count her money.

When you think about MIL ish, na just confusion things. Just that there are also very good MILs that you would even prefer them to your own mother.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Godmystrength: 11:21am On Jul 09, 2014
Imagine a woman that wont allow her own MIL in her matrimonial home but will now turn herself to mario in her son's house when she becomes MIL and now make the house hell for DIL because she will already be prepared and just assume that her DIL might be a replica of herself. She won't want to be treated the same way she treated her own MIL. May God just help us.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 09, 2014
Godmystrength:
You are right jare. I don't think i can be as tolerant as she is. Imagine her saying she wants to start selling things. ask her where? In my mummy's shop o (My mummy has a shop built with her house where she sells provision when she comes back from work and during weekends). She wanted to take over the shop. When her wahala became too much, to avoid trouble, my mum had to vacate the shop for her. But she now also wants my mummy to be the one to go to the market to buy the things she will be selling in the shop. My mummy no gree that one o. Now the shop is there and nobody is using it and she is happy. You can imagine if that shop was my mum's only source of income. it won't have been easy for her to let go and that would have led to another trouble. Her other children don't even visit or call her and when they even call my daddy, they don't want to talk to her. And she sef no send them. Anytime you talk about money to her hearing, she will quickly rush to her room to go and count her money.

When you think about MIL ish, na just confusion things. Just that there are also very good MILs that you would even prefer them to your own mother.

Oh. I dnt have the kind of patience your mother has o. Everyone is different anyways. Well, we ladies will be MILs one day. BUT i take that part of the bible that says a man must cleave to his wife and be one flesh seriously. Simply because i will be a MIL when the time comes does not mean i will intrude into children affairs. Mbanu! What you wouldnt want someone to do to your daughter, dnt do to someone else. I take that very seriously. Its not in my family's culture to intrude. My grandmother has no time for that, my mother likewise. They all give their space. Lets all pray for good MILS that will respect that bible verse.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 09, 2014
Godmystrength: Imagine a woman that wont allow her own MIL in her matrimonial home but will now turn herself to mario in her son's house when she becomes MIL and now make the house hell for DIL because she will already be prepared and just assume that her DIL might be a replica of herself. She won't want to be treated the same way she treated her own MIL. May God just help us.

Exactly. Is that not Hypocrisy?? I heard a story of a lady who had a very difficult sister-in law. The sister-in law gave her hell, just because she is older than this woman. She had to start praying that one day, this her sister-in law will marry and leave their house for them. She later got married but guess what? This her sister-inlaw never allowed any of her sibling to stay with her. No visitor, no nothing. Imagine that!!
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by nickishire: 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2014
brabus: Yes - it makes life easier and reduces the risk of failed marriages.

It's better than having to talk to your ex-gf/bf when you're down.

Finding a good mother-in-law is the main issue. My mom lived with me for 2 years after my wedding and I'm glad she did. The problem with us is that we want to live our life in pretense, do not want our families and friends to see our failings. We want to conceal our inadequacies

Anyway, my marriage is thankful for my mom stayed a while after we tied the knot. She was there to take care of the kids while my spouse is learning how to be a mother from a real mother and not from a friend. I couldn't do that myself and there's no school in this life for that.

We learn the easiest way.

I can bet you that ur wife has a different story to tell. She is a good woman because i can imagine what she must have been through and she ws wise enough not to involve you.
Its not as if all mother in laws are bad, but its just that its not easy for the wife most of the time.
Btw u dont learn how to be a real mother. It comes naturally.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by GoodFaith: 1:04pm On Jul 09, 2014
A daughter-in law will become mother-in-law some day
A son-in-law will become father-in-law
Re: Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? by brabus(m): 1:09pm On Jul 09, 2014
nickishire:

I can bet you that ur wife has a different story to tell. She is a good woman because i can imagine what she must have been through and she ws wise enough not to involve you.
Its not as if all mother in laws are bad, but its just that its not easy for the wife most of the time.
Btw u dont learn how to be a real mother. It comes naturally.

Indeed, she really has a different story to tell when she had a miscarriage (mom had left though). She wished my mom was there. My mom is not God but she treats her DIL's like her own child.

#talkingaboutmyownmom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Brutal Truth About Life After Marriage? / Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls / Prophet Ajanaku's Family Eject Wife From His Property.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.