Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:57 AM

July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife (46393 Views)

Neglected Burnt Room In Obafemi Awolowo University - Awolowo Hall / Moremi Hall In Obafemi Awolowo University On Fire. / Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by semitunde: 1:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
datalossvictim1:

Hmmnn karma did iwilade wrong then. They should have reported the matter to the police instead of beating them to numbness. It is difficult to stop violence with violence. Very sad!

Well, there should have been more excos there but like I mentioned earlier, their was a crack amongst the and most of the SUG guys were acting in individual capacity- mostly. Besides Africa was super popular and was already seen as the SUG president-in waiting by that time. Guess he wanted to show leadership/bravery etc at that point.

I did fear that this incident might back fire, but I didn't envisage what came afterwards.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Emeka71(m): 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2014
I am at Ile-ife now.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by tobloj(m): 1:30pm On Jul 10, 2014
LARRYDKING:
buh we hear of cult clash and killings in Lautech, i have a friend there anyway who tells me if u come to lautech, u have to be care, u dont knw who is who.
I wonder when hearing alone became sufficient to start spewing trash from your slackened opening you call mouth. Wen did omole become pro chancellor at lautech??

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 10, 2014
semitunde:

Well, there should have been more excos there but like I mentioned earlier, their was a crack amongst the and most of the SUG guys were acting in individual capacity- mostly. Besides Africa was super popular and was already seen as the SUG president-in waiting by that time. Guess he wanted to show leadership/bravery etc at that point.

I did fear that this incident might back fire, but I didn't envisage what came afterwards.

Popular or not popular you cannot act like a cultist in the hopes of ending cultism. But I can sort of understand his reasoning behind approving or supervising the beatings of the cultists. However it brought about a really sad aftermath! I have learned some lessons from this.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by onyxo76(m): 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
so between us...do you know Ifode ?
am 1 year your senior .
evianno and i came in together in 1994 though i didn't graduate with his set...sola anjola, nelson and tayo aloba were all my colleagues then... am not sure i know ifode except that is a nickname.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by fijiano202(m): 1:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
sharap joor na yahoo yahoo make cultism reduce...Africa death is the result of over-reliance on Juju...Only JESUS can save ....0[quote author=ademega]It was bad day devil take water .who were in the university told me stories and i knew what happened in other institutions concerning issue of cultists because it got to the peak at this time. The incident lead to the end of tenure for the then VC (forgotten his name now) who was accused of begin the sponsore and god father for them. I heard one of the cultists was caught and he saw hell.
In other institutions, all suspected cultists faced panel and most of them rusticated. All guys who wear a kind of rough look were adviced to stop visiting dark places and go out in odd hours. Some were picked up and beaten up in most schools .
Every year OAU dont miss the remembrance / kindle light. In actual fact that was the beginning of the end to cultism in Nigeria higher institutions. It opened the eyes of the whole world to the dangers of cultism.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Candour(m): 1:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
Very sad day indeed and could have been sadder for me and some neighbours.

Was prevented from attending the Kegites world gyration (my regular habit then) because my social club had an engagement that day otherwise I would have slept in Awo hall that day.

Got back home to sleep and woke up to the news the following morning. My club and I rallied round to help particularly with respect to blood donation for injured victims. Went to bed on Saturday only for loud knocks to wake me up by 6am on Sunday morning. I was face to face with Moses Oisakede(NANS President) who was leading a group of students going round picking cultists. It was a miracle they allowed me to pick a T-shirt and put on jeans trousers before my neighbours and i were bundled into NANS station wagon driven by Oisakede himself.

We found ourselves in Awo coffee room to undergo 'minimal' to 'maximum' 'shishi' but another miracle happened: a more probable group of cultists were suddenly brought in and attention shifted. One union guy came to interview us in company of some others and we were allowed to go back home without being assaulted.

It was a period of contrasting emotions. One day I felt like I contributed positively, the next, I was a suspected cultist about to be beaten unconscious or worse. I don't blame the union guys sha as everyone knew we had a 'formerly' notorious don as neighbour.

Its commendable that the OAU five are remembered every year. It will ensure that CULTISM: the cause of their death will not be allowed to rear its ugly head again.

Rest in peace Iwilade and co.

6 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by bibelo: 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
I remember seeing images of d gruesome massacre on AIT's Campus Circuit anchored by Silas Hassan.I was a jambite and was scared of going to Uni cos we didn't know which school would be next. Cult activities were more pronounced in d 90s, right frm secondary school some students had already made up their minds on which cult groups to join. I remember turning down d admission I was offered in ekpoma in 1999 cos of the cult activities there. Youths of Today I hope dey learn frm stuffs like dis.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 1:49pm On Jul 10, 2014
[quote author=ademega when caught , they will teach him all the morals he. missed from his childhood within hours . Even when a thief is caught in OAU he will curse the day he was born let alone a suspected cultist .
[/quote] hahaha !! I can imagine..am sure they will do a good job at that.. Seen them brush a cuult boy.. Me wey dem no dey beat I dey fear for my life.. If u see this hard rock boy crying and shouting “mummy!!mummy!! please!!! Please!! yesh!!”
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
dejt4u:
professor Wale Omole is his name.. He is now the Pro-chancellor of Lautech
that man na bad man.. Heared his gist.. He was using the cultsist for his parols.. I wonder why he is still made vc of lautech..see as yahoo plus boys and cultist full lautech sef
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by imustsaymymindo: 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
R.i.p gallant ones. 50 percent of these cultists join for personal gains like admission,passing exams, oppresion of their fellow students,among them re rusticated students etc. But my advise go to about the remaining 50 percent who were lured through friends,foods,sex etc and those who were forced because they have some qualities like being handsome, strength or intelligence to immediately re-nounce b4 soilin your hands with dirt. R.i.p Africa! Jes saying: he might have been alive today if he hadn't carried out jungle justice on those cultists he made walk un-clad in the school. May God continue to protect us all cause our government cant guarantee anybody's security.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by seanswitch(m): 1:52pm On Jul 10, 2014
"On Saturday, 7 March 1999, a group of members held a meeting in Ife town. After the meeting, they drove back to the campus. On the main road, Road 1, leading into the campus, they were overtaken by some students in another car. For whatever reason, they were enraged and gave chase to the students. The students, seeing them in pursuit, raced hastily to the car park outside Angola Hall and ran into the adjacent Awolowo Hall for safety. The Students’ Union, which had also received information that secret cult members were gathering in a house in the senior staff quarters, mobilised in response to the incident. Led by George Iwilade, the Secretary-General, a group of them drove to the house, officially occupied by Mr. F.M. Mekoma, and forced their way into the boys’ quarters. They found nine individuals inside, eight of them students of the University, with a submachine gun, a locally manufactured gun, an axe, a bayonet and the black clothing and regalia of the cult. The University authorities were informed, and the members of the secret cult were handed over to the Police. They were held in police custody and taken to the Chief Magistrate’s Court where two weeks later they were granted bail.

The case was heard on 31 March, and to the utmost amazement of everyone, the Chief Magistrate discharged and acquitted the arrested individuals. The students who had apprehended the cult members were not called as witnesses. The investigating police officer, Corporal Femi Adewoye, claimed that the witnesses could not be located and actually stated in Court, “I tried to contact the complainants in this case, all to no avail. To date, there is no complainant in the case. Since all the accused persons denied the allegations against them and there is no complainant, there is no way the allegations can be proved.” This was the submission of the prosecuting police officer! Usually, in such cases, witness’ summons were served through the University Administration but this did not happen. The trial was concluded in two court appearances in eight days.

The Chief Magistrate also ordered that the submachine gun be sent to the police armourer and the other exhibits be destroyed, thus eliminating all the evidence, and making it impossible to re-open the case. The Judicial Enquiry recommended that the Magistrate be reported to the Judicial Commission for appropriate disciplinary action. Nothing came of this, as nothing came of all the other recommendations of that Panel.

After the arrests of the cult members, the University, under pressure from the students, issued a release suspending them without serving them with letters of suspension. Shortly afterwards, the University was closed as a result of a student crisis. When it re-opened three months later, the cult members returned to the campus and were seen attending lectures. The students raised an alarm once more. In response to this, the University issued a release on 2 July re-affirming the suspensions of the cult members. The letters of suspension were dated 8 July and it is doubtful whether those affected actually received them before the tragic events two days later. Even then, one of the students, Bruno Arinze, was left out. I eventually suspended him on 23 July.

The cult involved in the episode of 7 March was the . Four major reasons have been advanced as to the genesis leading to the mayhem on 10 July. One, to which I subscribe, was that the was avenging the humiliating treatment of its members by the Student Union leaders in March 1999.

On the night of 9 July 1999, the Kegites, members of the Palm Wine Drinkers’ Club, held a “gyration” (party) in the cafeteria of Awolowo Hall. The party was in full swing, when, at around 3.30am (now 10 July), a group of masked individuals, wearing black clothing, drove through the main gate and proceeded to the car park next to the Tennis Courts in the Sports Centre. They disembarked there and went on foot along a bush path to Awolowo Hall, where they violently interrupted the gyration, firing guns and also wielding axes and cutlasses. The group was probably all young men, although there is a persistent story of at least one woman among them. Some of the partygoers were shot, though none of them was killed. The partygoers ran for their lives, a few actually throwing themselves through glass doors.

A group of the gunmen chased the partygoers as far as Mozambique Hall. Other groups proceeded to the rooms. They first entered Room 184, where they shot and killed Efe Ekede, a Part II Psychology student. In Room 230, they shot Charles Ita, a Part II Law student. A group of the attackers then shot Yemi Ajiteru, a Part II Religious Studies student, through the head in the corridor outside the Kegites’ headquarters. In Room 273, they found George Iwilade (Afrika), the Secretary-General of the Students’ Union and a Law student, and shot him through the head, along with another occupant, Tunde Oke, a Part 1 student of Philosophy, who was shot in the abdomen. When the attackers got to Room 271, the room allocated to the suspended Students’ Union President, Lanre Adeleke (Legacy), they found that he had escaped. Legacy was in his room when he heard the first gun shots. He hurriedly went to his door, looked out, and saw two of the attackers on the next floor, firing shots. He ran back into his room and broke through the partition of the kitchenette into the next room’s kitchenette. He heard them shouting, “Legacy, come out!” and escaped into the next room. During the course of the incident, the attackers also shouted the names of “Afrika”, George Iwilade, and “Dexter”, the Chief of the Kegites, demanding that they come out.

The band of thugs proceeded to Fajuyi Hall on foot, where they shot and killed one more student. That individual, Eviano Ekelemo, a medical student, was certainly not a student activist, but they shot him anyway. The murderers left Fajuyi Hall on foot and went through the bush path behind the Hall back to their vehicles. They drove to the Students’ Union building, which they ransacked. They returned to their vehicles and drove out of the University through the main gate. The security staff, having heard gunfire, fled for their lives. Thus the exit of the marauding thugs was unchallenged.

The students with gunshot wounds were taken to the Health Centre and from there to the Teaching Hospital. Tunde Oke was still alive but died on the operating table. Four others, George Iwilade, Yemi Ajiteru, Efe Ekede and Eviano Ekelemu, were brought in dead. Eviano Ekelemu bled to death from gunshot wounds to the groin and thigh. The other three died from gunshot wounds to the head. In each case, the weapons used were shotguns, fired at close range. Charles Ita and five others who were shot in the Awolowo Hall cafeteria, survived. Twenty-five others received minor injuries, which were sustained during the stampede out of the Awolowo Hall cafeteria and later on during the attack.

In the aftermath of the attack, the whole university was enveloped in fear and there was chaos in the halls of residence. However, within a short time, the President of the Students’ Union, Lanre Adeleke, was able to restore order and mobilise his colleagues. The students went to the town searching for the perpetrators in locations where cult members were thought to be living. They “arrested” three individuals and brought them back to Awolowo Hall. These were Aisekhaghe Aikhile, a Part I student of Agricultural Economics, Emeka Ojuagu, and Frank Idahosa (Efosa). Efosa and Ojuagu were arrested in a public transport vehicle that was about to leave Ife.

The students exhibited black clothing, two berets and two T-shirts, that had been found in Ojuagu’s bag, which was claimed to be the uniform. Efosa was a known member of the . He had been expelled from the University of Benin and was later admitted for a diploma programme in Local Government Studies in Ife. The three of them were savagely beaten and tortured in the Awolowo Hall “Coffee Room”, the traditional venue for such events. The inverted commas have been employed because coffee had not been known to be served there for many years. Efosa and Oguagu are said to have confessed to participating in the attacks during their “interrogation”, and Efosa is said to have gone further to state that the attack was organised to avenge the humiliating treatment of the members who had been arrested in Mr. Mekoma’s house on 7 March.

In the course of the interrogation, Aisekhaghe Aikhile died, and his body was taken to the hospital mortuary. The interrogations also yielded the information that 22 members were involved, six from the University, four from the University of Lagos, four from the University of Ibadan, and eight from the University of Calabar. There was also a separate claim that more students from the University of Benin were also involved.

The VC, Professor Wale Omole, had been out of the country on 10 July 1999, the day of the attack and in his absence, the Deputy VC (Academic), Professor A.E. Akingbohungbe, was in charge. Soon after his arrival, the VC was summoned to Abuja to give a report of the incident the day after he returned to campus. On 14 July, his suspension was announced by the Government. It was against this background that I was tracked to the UK and summoned to return immediately and assume duty as the acting VC of the University.

When I arrived on the campus on 18 July, I promised the students and the rest of the university community, that the university would do everything in its power to bring the perpetrators to justice. I took this undertaking extremely seriously.

The first step was to visit the Commissioner of Police, Mr. J.C. Nwoye, in Osogbo. I raised the issue of the nine individuals who had been arrested in March and discharged by the Chief Magistrate. He promised that a vigorous and thorough investigation was in progress on the matter. He then expressed concern that the University authorities had not officially reported the murders to the Police despite repeated requests. On my return to the University, I wrote the required letter, once more indicating our strong fears concerning a connection between the March episode and the murders, and requesting that the nine individuals involved be re-arrested.

A total of 12 individuals were arrested and charged to court over the three weeks following the murders, including Efosa and Ojuagu. Only one of those involved in the March episode was among those arrested. The other eight could not be located. Two of them had obtained their transcripts and resumed their studies in France. The students brought information on the whereabouts of a major suspect, Babatunde Kazeem (Kato), and we provided a vehicle so that the Police could go with the students to the address in Lagos and arrest him. Kato was a former student who had been “advised to withdraw” from the University as a result of academic failure. He had been apprehended by the Students’ Union in August 1997 when he admitted to being a secret cult member. He was subsequently handed over to the Security Department, but there is no record of what happened after that. We also provided the Police with information on three other individuals, “Innocent”, “Yuletide” and “Ogbume.” Sadly, nothing came of this, even though we provided Ogbume’s address in Victoria Garden City, Lagos. The arrested persons were charged to the Ile-Ife Magistrate’s court for the murders.

The Judicial Commission of Enquiry was eventually inaugurated in Abuja on 18 October, but did not start work until 24 November, and eventually arrived in the University on Sunday, 28 November. The Chairman was Justice Okoi Itam. There were six other members, including Professor Jadesola Akande, an experienced and highly respected academic and university administrator, and Ray Ekpu, the journalist. Ms. Turi Akerele was later deployed as legal counsel to the Commission. A flamboyant but highly capable alumnus, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, led a team representing the students.

The Commission’s report was submitted in February 2000 and was released, along with the Government’s white paper, later that year. The Commission expressed its strong belief that seven named individuals had participated in the killings—Frank Idahosa (Efosa), Didi Yuletide, Kazeem Bello (Kato), and four individuals who were identified only by their nicknames or Christian names—Innocent, Athanasius, “Ochuko”, and “Chunk.” The last was identified as the then head of the secret cult. The Commission also recommended the investigation of 16 other individuals, including Emeka Oguaju and the nine involved in the 7 March episode. The Panel criticised the police investigation of the case and recommended that the Inspector-General of Police should set up a special task force to take it over. I have already mentioned the recommendations concerning the Chief Magistrate who hastily tried and acquitted the 7 March culprits, as well as Efosa’s lawyer.

It took me several months, and a number of visits to Abuja, to obtain the Commission’s report and the White Paper. Dissatisfied with the progress of the court cases, and armed with the report, I visited the Attorney-General of the Federation, Chief Bola Ige. After I had expressed my concerns over the case and highlighted the Commission’s recommendations concerning its investigation, he assured me that, although the case was being prosecuted by the Osun State Attorney-General’s office, his Ministry would work with that office. He sent for the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Musiliu Smith, who agreed that he would immediately establish the recommended special task force. This he did, and a senior police officer, ACP Tonye Ibitibituwa, soon arrived in Osogbo with a team. However, in spite of the efforts of this task force, no further arrests were made. We also liaised with the Osun State Attorney-General, who assured us that his office was seriously following up the case. I must say that he did personally prosecute the case.

As I have stated, the cases against those charged in the Chief Magistrate’s Court for belonging to an illegal organisation eventually came to nothing. However, we were very hopeful of a successful prosecution of the murder cases against Efosa and company. The case in the Osogbo High Court, which commenced on 9 April 2001, wound on. Evidence for the prosecution was taken from a number of students and some other witnesses. There was adjournment after adjournment. In mid-2002, the Judge hearing the case was transferred to Iwo, and the case along with it. There was a further delay while the exhibits were also subsequently taken to Iwo. To the amazement of everyone, the Judge upheld a “No Case” submission by the defence on 5 November 2002. The three accused persons were released and they subsequently disappeared…

24 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Creamish(f): 1:53pm On Jul 10, 2014
harlos: That year, I was in primary 5.

Knew/heard nothing undecidedundecided

Lolz @ Primary5... ur kidding rite?

May God rest their souls.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Bigsteveg(m): 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2014
LARRYDKING:

buh we hear of cult clash and killings in Lautech, i have a friend there anyway who tells me if u come to lautech, u have to be care, u dont knw who is who.

I do know what he's talking abt, but not cultist.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 10, 2014
R. I. P TO THEM. THE KILLERS COULD BE ON NAIRALAND COMMENTING OR JUST VIEWING. WHO KNOWS? ONLY GOD

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by akinvest(m): 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
Julie9093: its free world and freedom of speech is allowed. But if u don't know what to comment, neva u quote me again.
Sorry Dear, i didn't know the comment "ll upset you, but wait o, u dey quick vex 4 small matta abah.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
Seun: I was there but fast asleep, in Fajuyi hall. I stayed up late that night so I didn't wake up immediately when the shooting started. By the time I woke up, all my room-mates except one had fled. I was like, "what's up" but the other room-mate asked me to switch off the lights. We survived. The next morning, we visited the scene of the attack in Awo hall. The attackers used shotguns. They shot the door lock on one of the rooms and the pellets made a mess on the other side. We saw The bloody mattress on which their main target was shot in the head. I saw a guy from that room, I think, who was still alive but was seriously wounded, bleeding and not getting any help. I heard about a brilliant medical student who was shot for being in the wrong place during the attack. As he bled to death, he cried for a knife so he could use it to operate on himself and stop the bleeding. No one responded because they were either in the bushes or too scared to help. So he died.
constructing your words into image .. Its very sad.. Look what eduucational system has turned into. Rip to them.. I pray for full reforms cos its not over yet
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by whyx06(m): 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2014
dejt4u:
professor Wale Omole is his name.. He is now the Pro-chancellor of Lautech
taught BOLA AHMED TINUBU was there Chancellor?
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by semitunde: 2:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
Then they started marching towards the TV /library/ coffee room, where guys who were sleeping were sent scampering for their lives. Guys and girls were jumping down from those three places! One jumped onto the walkway roof going towards awo annex and tried running on it. He crashed down and probably broke his leg cos he couldn't move afterwards. I thought he was dead meat but the cultist simply walked up to him with a glance and moved on he was not the target.

The now started forming rows, marching like soldiers. From what I could see, these ppl were led by a lady-not too tall.

Then they dispersed in groups in different directions. Some some went to block 7and 8 where the SUG guys were staying and I could hear the gunshots and helpless cries. I was too numb to be afraid.

Then they started shouting: "they said this is the great awo hall!!", "show us how great you are!!!" "Come out now!!!!" "this is war!!!" "COME OUT NOW!!!". Apart from gunshots and the wails of victims, you could hear a pin drop.

My roommate then had a rush of blood to the head and wanted to come out. "Fvck! Fvck these guys men!! Awo hall fears no one!!! I honestly strangely wasn't afraid but I was having a clearer head and angrily told him to shut the fvck up. Couldn't decide if I was angry with him or at our helplessness.

Suffice to say, one of them fell in the long drain going across the hall and we knew they weren't from OAU. That drain is too big to miss.

After some mins the volume of the gunshots reduced and people started coming out. Some fled for the jungle behind the hall others went straight to block 8 where we heard the most cries. The deed had been done. Some shouted that they had killed Africa and started crying. smiley

Terrible memory to relive, terrible site. Doors dented and having imprints of shoes used to barge in, door handles gone and in place of that the is a hole the size of an orange. They simply shot through the door handle with the bullet splattering in different directions afterwards.

I lost my lesson mate that night. Couldn't hide quickly, stayed in the bed. One of the bullets that splattered simply swarmed him on the bed. By the time people could get to him, his bed was soaked in blood. Some of the smaller bullets actually went into the wall behind him.

For to Faj and Eviano's blood was dripping down from the 2nd floor as if someone poured a bucket of water.

I've said enough a beg. Leaving the rest where it is.

9 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Bigwig1: 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2014
Wat can I say unto d lord all I ve to say Is to tank u lord. On dis same July 10 2004,i also escaped a fatal accident at ado Ekiti unad wen goin to write post ume. Lives were lost in fact d exam was cancelled dat day. Tanks b to almighty here I am today

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by imustsaymymindo: 2:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
it's so sad that our judicial system is bad. Most of the accused people in the case today are free people. Makes me wonder what Afrika and co had to risk their lives for. The incident just made cultism become secret cultism. They are still much around doing things on a lowkey. R.i.p once again

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by jackdaniels(m): 2:22pm On Jul 10, 2014
So it is men dat did dis nonsense..Those boys wil neva be hav peace in life
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
Nairaland...!
Very educative & informative.
My 1st time of hearing this.
(y)
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
semitunde: Then they started marching towards the TV /library/ coffee room, where guys who were sleeping were sent scampering for their lives. Guys and girls were jumping down from those three places! One jumped onto the walkway roof going towards awo annex and tried running on it. He crashed down and probably broke his leg cos he couldn't move afterwards. I thought he was dead meat but the cultist simply walked up to him with a glance and moved on he was not the target.

The now started forming rows, marching like soldiers. From what I could see, these ppl were led by a lady-not too tall.

Then they dispersed in groups in different directions. Some some went to block 7and 8 where the SUG guys were staying and I could hear the gunshots and helpless cries. I was too numb to be afraid.

Then they started shouting: "they said this is the great awo hall!!", "show us how great you are!!!" "Come out now!!!!" "this is war!!!" "COME OUT NOW!!!". Apart from gunshots and the wails of victims, you could hear a pin drop.

My roommate then had a rush of blood to the head and wanted to come out. "Fvck! Fvck these guys men!! Awo hall fears no one!!! I honestly strangely wasn't afraid but I was having a clearer head and angrily told him to shut the fvck up. Couldn't decide if I was angry with him or at our helplessness.

Suffice to say, one of them fell in the long drain going across the hall and we knew they weren't from OAU. That drain is too big to miss.

After some mins the volume of the gunshots reduced and people started coming out. Some fled for the jungle behind the hall others went straight to block 8 where we heard the most cries. The deed had been done. Some shouted that they had killed Africa and started crying. smiley

Terrible memory to relive, terrible site. Doors dented and having imprints of shoes used to barge in, door handles gone and in place of that the is a hole the size of an orange. They simply shot through the door handle with the bullet splattering in different directions afterwards.

I lost my lesson mate that night. Couldn't hide quickly, stayed in the bed. One of the bullets that splattered simply swarmed him on the bed. By the time people could get to him, his bed was soaked in blood. Some of the smaller bullets actually went into the wall behind him.

For to Faj and Eviano's blood was dripping down from the 2nd floor as if someone poured a bucket of water.

I've said enough a beg. Leaving the rest where it is.

Mehn! So touching.
And the culprits are freely roaming about every nook & cranny of this damn country
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by PENMIGHT(m): 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
Then a 200L student of Architecture. I was busy with my studio works then inside Awo Mosque. It all started at the Awo Cafe. It was just a flimsy barrier seperating the cafe and Awo mosque. The glasses were shattered but thanks to good reinforced walls of the mosque, no casualty was recorded. As the chaos reigns, i took cover underneath one of those famous Dining Tables of old. It was a long night and a sad day.l
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by gandyluv(f): 2:37pm On Jul 10, 2014
Wat a sad story...rip Afrika n co
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Oduduwaboy(m): 2:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
onyxo76: evianno and i came in together in 1994 though i didn't graduate with his set...sola anjola, nelson and tayo aloba were all my colleagues then... am not sure i know ifode except that is a nickname.
You definitely know Long John & Big Jyde ...; Ifode actually repeated a year to become your mate .
I know all those people you mentioned u know !

I remember Dapo reading the citation at Eviano's burial at the cemetery some days after the shootings ...
Do you remember Friday Ujuju?
Great Ife !!!
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by ademega(m): 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
I should sharap for what ? U can say your own tin but y the insult on me
fijiano202: sharap joor na yahoo yahoo make cultism reduce...Africa death is the result of over-reliance on Juju...Only JESUS can save ....0
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by whyx06(m): 2:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
R.I.P 1999 hero's.. .
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by semitunde: 2:52pm On Jul 10, 2014
seanswitch: "On Saturday, 7 March 1999, a group of members held a meeting in Ife town. After the meeting, they drove back to the campus. On the main road, Road 1, leading into the campus, they were overtaken by some students in another car. For whatever reason, they were enraged and gave chase to the students. The students, seeing them in pursuit, raced hastily to the car park outside Angola Hall and ran into the adjacent Awolowo Hall for safety. The Students’ Union, which had also received information that secret cult members were gathering in a house in the senior staff quarters, mobilised in response to the incident. Led by George Iwilade, the Secretary-General, a group of them drove to the house, officially occupied by Mr. F.M. Mekoma, and forced their way into the boys’ quarters. They found nine individuals inside, eight of them students of the University, with a submachine gun, a locally manufactured gun, an axe, a bayonet and the black clothing and regalia of the cult. The University authorities were informed, and the members of the secret cult were handed over to the Police. They were held in police custody and taken to the Chief Magistrate’s Court where two weeks later they were granted bail.

The case was heard on 31 March, and to the utmost amazement of everyone, the Chief Magistrate discharged and acquitted the arrested individuals. The students who had apprehended the cult members were not called as witnesses. The investigating police officer, Corporal Femi Adewoye, claimed that the witnesses could not be located and actually stated in Court, “I tried to contact the complainants in this case, all to no avail. To date, there is no complainant in the case. Since all the accused persons denied the allegations against them and there is no complainant, there is no way the allegations can be proved.” This was the submission of the prosecuting police officer! Usually, in such cases, witness’ summons were served through the University Administration but this did not happen. The trial was concluded in two court appearances in eight days.

The Chief Magistrate also ordered that the submachine gun be sent to the police armourer and the other exhibits be destroyed, thus eliminating all the evidence, and making it impossible to re-open the case. The Judicial Enquiry recommended that the Magistrate be reported to the Judicial Commission for appropriate disciplinary action. Nothing came of this, as nothing came of all the other recommendations of that Panel.

After the arrests of the cult members, the University, under pressure from the students, issued a release suspending them without serving them with letters of suspension. Shortly afterwards, the University was closed as a result of a student crisis. When it re-opened three months later, the cult members returned to the campus and were seen attending lectures. The students raised an alarm once more. In response to this, the University issued a release on 2 July re-affirming the suspensions of the cult members. The letters of suspension were dated 8 July and it is doubtful whether those affected actually received them before the tragic events two days later. Even then, one of the students, Bruno Arinze, was left out. I eventually suspended him on 23 July.

The cult involved in the episode of 7 March was the . Four major reasons have been advanced as to the genesis leading to the mayhem on 10 July. One, to which I subscribe, was that the was avenging the humiliating treatment of its members by the Student Union leaders in March 1999.

On the night of 9 July 1999, the Kegites, members of the Palm Wine Drinkers’ Club, held a “gyration” (party) in the cafeteria of Awolowo Hall. The party was in full swing, when, at around 3.30am (now 10 July), a group of masked individuals, wearing black clothing, drove through the main gate and proceeded to the car park next to the Tennis Courts in the Sports Centre. They disembarked there and went on foot along a bush path to Awolowo Hall, where they violently interrupted the gyration, firing guns and also wielding axes and cutlasses. The group was probably all young men, although there is a persistent story of at least one woman among them. Some of the partygoers were shot, though none of them was killed. The partygoers ran for their lives, a few actually throwing themselves through glass doors.

A group of the gunmen chased the partygoers as far as Mozambique Hall. Other groups proceeded to the rooms. They first entered Room 184, where they shot and killed Efe Ekede, a Part II Psychology student. In Room 230, they shot Charles Ita, a Part II Law student. A group of the attackers then shot Yemi Ajiteru, a Part II Religious Studies student, through the head in the corridor outside the Kegites’ headquarters. In Room 273, they found George Iwilade (Afrika), the Secretary-General of the Students’ Union and a Law student, and shot him through the head, along with another occupant, Tunde Oke, a Part 1 student of Philosophy, who was shot in the abdomen. When the attackers got to Room 271, the room allocated to the suspended Students’ Union President, Lanre Adeleke (Legacy), they found that he had escaped. Legacy was in his room when he heard the first gun shots. He hurriedly went to his door, looked out, and saw two of the attackers on the next floor, firing shots. He ran back into his room and broke through the partition of the kitchenette into the next room’s kitchenette. He heard them shouting, “Legacy, come out!” and escaped into the next room. During the course of the incident, the attackers also shouted the names of “Afrika”, George Iwilade, and “Dexter”, the Chief of the Kegites, demanding that they come out.

The band of thugs proceeded to Fajuyi Hall on foot, where they shot and killed one more student. That individual, Eviano Ekelemo, a medical student, was certainly not a student activist, but they shot him anyway. The murderers left Fajuyi Hall on foot and went through the bush path behind the Hall back to their vehicles. They drove to the Students’ Union building, which they ransacked. They returned to their vehicles and drove out of the University through the main gate. The security staff, having heard gunfire, fled for their lives. Thus the exit of the marauding thugs was unchallenged.

The students with gunshot wounds were taken to the Health Centre and from there to the Teaching Hospital. Tunde Oke was still alive but died on the operating table. Four others, George Iwilade, Yemi Ajiteru, Efe Ekede and Eviano Ekelemu, were brought in dead. Eviano Ekelemu bled to death from gunshot wounds to the groin and thigh. The other three died from gunshot wounds to the head. In each case, the weapons used were shotguns, fired at close range. Charles Ita and five others who were shot in the Awolowo Hall cafeteria, survived. Twenty-five others received minor injuries, which were sustained during the stampede out of the Awolowo Hall cafeteria and later on during the attack.

In the aftermath of the attack, the whole university was enveloped in fear and there was chaos in the halls of residence. However, within a short time, the President of the Students’ Union, Lanre Adeleke, was able to restore order and mobilise his colleagues. The students went to the town searching for the perpetrators in locations where cult members were thought to be living. They “arrested” three individuals and brought them back to Awolowo Hall. These were Aisekhaghe Aikhile, a Part I student of Agricultural Economics, Emeka Ojuagu, and Frank Idahosa (Efosa). Efosa and Ojuagu were arrested in a public transport vehicle that was about to leave Ife.

The students exhibited black clothing, two berets and two T-shirts, that had been found in Ojuagu’s bag, which was claimed to be the uniform. Efosa was a known member of the . He had been expelled from the University of Benin and was later admitted for a diploma programme in Local Government Studies in Ife. The three of them were savagely beaten and tortured in the Awolowo Hall “Coffee Room”, the traditional venue for such events. The inverted commas have been employed because coffee had not been known to be served there for many years. Efosa and Oguagu are said to have confessed to participating in the attacks during their “interrogation”, and Efosa is said to have gone further to state that the attack was organised to avenge the humiliating treatment of the members who had been arrested in Mr. Mekoma’s house on 7 March.

In the course of the interrogation, Aisekhaghe Aikhile died, and his body was taken to the hospital mortuary. The interrogations also yielded the information that 22 members were involved, six from the University, four from the University of Lagos, four from the University of Ibadan, and eight from the University of Calabar. There was also a separate claim that more students from the University of Benin were also involved.

The VC, Professor Wale Omole, had been out of the country on 10 July 1999, the day of the attack and in his absence, the Deputy VC (Academic), Professor A.E. Akingbohungbe, was in charge. Soon after his arrival, the VC was summoned to Abuja to give a report of the incident the day after he returned to campus. On 14 July, his suspension was announced by the Government. It was against this background that I was tracked to the UK and summoned to return immediately and assume duty as the acting VC of the University.

When I arrived on the campus on 18 July, I promised the students and the rest of the university community, that the university would do everything in its power to bring the perpetrators to justice. I took this undertaking extremely seriously.

The first step was to visit the Commissioner of Police, Mr. J.C. Nwoye, in Osogbo. I raised the issue of the nine individuals who had been arrested in March and discharged by the Chief Magistrate. He promised that a vigorous and thorough investigation was in progress on the matter. He then expressed concern that the University authorities had not officially reported the murders to the Police despite repeated requests. On my return to the University, I wrote the required letter, once more indicating our strong fears concerning a connection between the March episode and the murders, and requesting that the nine individuals involved be re-arrested.

A total of 12 individuals were arrested and charged to court over the three weeks following the murders, including Efosa and Ojuagu. Only one of those involved in the March episode was among those arrested. The other eight could not be located. Two of them had obtained their transcripts and resumed their studies in France. The students brought information on the whereabouts of a major suspect, Babatunde Kazeem (Kato), and we provided a vehicle so that the Police could go with the students to the address in Lagos and arrest him. Kato was a former student who had been “advised to withdraw” from the University as a result of academic failure. He had been apprehended by the Students’ Union in August 1997 when he admitted to being a secret cult member. He was subsequently handed over to the Security Department, but there is no record of what happened after that. We also provided the Police with information on three other individuals, “Innocent”, “Yuletide” and “Ogbume.” Sadly, nothing came of this, even though we provided Ogbume’s address in Victoria Garden City, Lagos. The arrested persons were charged to the Ile-Ife Magistrate’s court for the murders.

The Judicial Commission of Enquiry was eventually inaugurated in Abuja on 18 October, but did not start work until 24 November, and eventually arrived in the University on Sunday, 28 November. The Chairman was Justice Okoi Itam. There were six other members, including Professor Jadesola Akande, an experienced and highly respected academic and university administrator, and Ray Ekpu, the journalist. Ms. Turi Akerele was later deployed as legal counsel to the Commission. A flamboyant but highly capable alumnus, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, led a team representing the students.

The Commission’s report was submitted in February 2000 and was released, along with the Government’s white paper, later that year. The Commission expressed its strong belief that seven named individuals had participated in the killings—Frank Idahosa (Efosa), Didi Yuletide, Kazeem Bello (Kato), and four individuals who were identified only by their nicknames or Christian names—Innocent, Athanasius, “Ochuko”, and “Chunk.” The last was identified as the then head of the secret cult. The Commission also recommended the investigation of 16 other individuals, including Emeka Oguaju and the nine involved in the 7 March episode. The Panel criticised the police investigation of the case and recommended that the Inspector-General of Police should set up a special task force to take it over. I have already mentioned the recommendations concerning the Chief Magistrate who hastily tried and acquitted the 7 March culprits, as well as Efosa’s lawyer.

It took me several months, and a number of visits to Abuja, to obtain the Commission’s report and the White Paper. Dissatisfied with the progress of the court cases, and armed with the report, I visited the Attorney-General of the Federation, Chief Bola Ige. After I had expressed my concerns over the case and highlighted the Commission’s recommendations concerning its investigation, he assured me that, although the case was being prosecuted by the Osun State Attorney-General’s office, his Ministry would work with that office. He sent for the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Musiliu Smith, who agreed that he would immediately establish the recommended special task force. This he did, and a senior police officer, ACP Tonye Ibitibituwa, soon arrived in Osogbo with a team. However, in spite of the efforts of this task force, no further arrests were made. We also liaised with the Osun State Attorney-General, who assured us that his office was seriously following up the case. I must say that he did personally prosecute the case.

As I have stated, the cases against those charged in the Chief Magistrate’s Court for belonging to an illegal organisation eventually came to nothing. However, we were very hopeful of a successful prosecution of the murder cases against Efosa and company. The case in the Osogbo High Court, which commenced on 9 April 2001, wound on. Evidence for the prosecution was taken from a number of students and some other witnesses. There was adjournment after adjournment. In mid-2002, the Judge hearing the case was transferred to Iwo, and the case along with it. There was a further delay while the exhibits were also subsequently taken to Iwo. To the amazement of everyone, the Judge upheld a “No Case” submission by the defence on 5 November 2002. The three accused persons were released and they subsequently disappeared…

These are the people that will eventually become our politicians and super elite. I wont be surprised if they already are in such capacity.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Dapo4u(m): 2:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
seanswitch: "On Saturday, 7 March 1999, a group of members held a meeting in Ife town. After the meeting, they drove back to the campus. On the main road, Road 1, leading into the campus, they were overtaken by some students in another car. For whatever reason, they were enraged and gave chase to the students. The students, seeing them in pursuit, raced hastily to the car park outside Angola Hall and ran into the adjacent Awolowo Hall for safety. The Students’ Union, which had also received information that secret cult members were gathering in a house in the senior staff quarters, mobilised in response to the incident. Led by George Iwilade, the Secretary-General, a group of them drove to the house, officially occupied by Mr. F.M. Mekoma, and forced their way into the boys’ quarters. They found nine individuals inside, eight of them students of the University, with a submachine gun, a locally manufactured gun, an axe, a bayonet and the black clothing and regalia of the cult. The University authorities were informed, and the members of the secret cult were handed over to the Police. They were held in police custody and taken to the Chief Magistrate’s Court where two weeks later they were granted bail.

Need I say more? You captured the event sir, thanks.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by franzis(m): 2:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
I was still in primary school then, saw the news over the papers and TV especially on AIT ..corpses,coffins,protests..but then I didn't really know what cultism was all about,until I got to secondary,but the pictures were so gory

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Slay Queen Bags Law Degree From UK University. Photos / Student Appreciates Naira Marley In His Final Year Project (Photo) / Long, Black Snake Killed In UNILAG Postgraduate Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.