Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:37 AM

July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife (46380 Views)

Neglected Burnt Room In Obafemi Awolowo University - Awolowo Hall / Moremi Hall In Obafemi Awolowo University On Fire. / Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Lorlaahlozz: 10:49am On Jul 10, 2014
Following
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 10, 2014
Thanks to all this comrade that made OUR stay in school a success and a peaceful one. Continue to RIP Africa

#Say no to cultism

Of the Greatest Ife!!!

7 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Realdeals(m): 11:23am On Jul 10, 2014
I know of a guy in my street then who was arrested for been member of the cult group that carried out the attack. From what I heard he didn't deny participating in the act, but what baffle me then was that his parent spend fortune to have him released despite his confession. That's life for you o "Omo eni koni buru kafi fun ekun je"

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by utenwuson: 11:23am On Jul 10, 2014
Wen I read ds stories.....I recall hw cultist operate then fearlessly....wen we do av d main executioner, goin into d hostel @ nyt 2 kill n threatns rivals cults.....lukin @ ds massacre n u ll realize not up 2 Ten guys died! But it was talked about all over d country! Now we c bombing killn over 16 medical student in Jos and its luk like a normal slangs! We stil d roll sha

4 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Emmystified(m): 11:24am On Jul 10, 2014
when I remember AFRIKA
water run away my eyes o....
aaa eee aaa eee
water run away my eye...

25 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by onyxo76(m): 11:26am On Jul 10, 2014
that was a night to remember, guns blazing, glass shattering all over awo cafe, everybody running for safety. In short it was a nightmare...
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by onyxo76(m): 11:29am On Jul 10, 2014
Seun: I was there but fast asleep, in Fajuyi hall. I stayed up late that night so I didn't wake up immediately when the shooting started. By the time I woke up, all my room-mates except one had fled. I was like, "what's up" but the other room-mate asked me to switch off the lights. We survived. The next morning, we visited the scene of the attack in Awo hall. The attackers used shotguns. They shot the door lock on one of the rooms and the pellets made a mess on the other side. We saw The bloody mattress on which their main target was shot in the head. I saw a guy from that room, I think, who was still alive but was seriously wounded, bleeding and not getting any help. I heard about a brilliant medical student who was shot for being in the wrong place during the attack. As he bled to death, he cried for a knife so he could use it to operate on himself and stop the bleeding. No one responded because they were either in the bushes or too scared to help. So he died.
that medical student was my colleague - continue to rest in peace Evianno

24 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by tonyx4x44(m): 11:30am On Jul 10, 2014
useless people. Thunder go always fire all these cult people gone and present. blood will always follow you; be prepared to die for nothing and in a useless manner embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry idiotss

13 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by gazilion: 11:32am On Jul 10, 2014
I didn't school in Ife but was surprised one late evening a coaster bus full of OAU students came to the house opposite where we lived to arrest two brothers who were accused of cultism and complicity in the shooting at Ife. The two guys got a tip off earlier and scaled the fence of their house but their parents were caught and dragged into the bus by the students. One of the two brothers (don't want to mention names) read Geology and the other was in engineering. Their parents were a bit connected and their father was luckily released by police men at the Lagos Toll gate that night. That was the last time, we ever saw those two guys. I know they didn't complete their education in Ife. I learnt later they were sent to the US by their parents(can't confirm this pls). Their names were published in the Punch newspaper by police as being wanted for questioning in the cult shooting at Ife. I had finished my BSC then at UNN and came home for my NYSC!!

May the soul of the departed RIP.

I wish to add that the behaviour of the two brothers then, their licentious lifestyle and friends smacks of cultism. There's no way I could vouch for their innocence. When their names and pictures were published on the pages of the punch newspaper, no one on the entire street were surprised.

There is nothing good ...absolutely nothing good comes out of cultism!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by olapluto(m): 11:34am On Jul 10, 2014
I was admitted to OAU about 3/4 years after the incidence. One night during the orientation week, one of the 1999 SUG exco spoke about the incidence. I do not remember all he said, but I remember leaving the common room in Angola with my blood charged. He spoke about how OAU students went to other parts of Nigeria to hunt down cultists...with no weapons.
I remember wanting to meet any cultist at that moment and deal with them. If you hear the real story of 'Afrika', you will abhor cultists.
I think it will take years, or decades for Cultism to gain ground in OAU again.

15 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Demdem(m): 11:35am On Jul 10, 2014
At the time of the shooting, i was in Angola hall, block H, room........
Stayed there throughout till the following day.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 10, 2014
Wow. 1st time of hearing this, obviously I was in Primary 4 then @1999. Cultism is just some f**kd up shii, I remember 1 guy that was razzling me in sch den - i would always insult him sef, i didn't even knw d guy was a cultist , but the day my lodge was robbed, he took it upon himself to handle my room and he made sure he made away with everything...lol. When they were caught and i found out he was 1 of them, i was just laughing- considered myself lucky say im no rape/shoot me sef.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Hoii(m): 11:39am On Jul 10, 2014
Mehn, can't ever forget that incident, it was terrible
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 10, 2014
RIP George Iwilade
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by harlos: 11:41am On Jul 10, 2014
That year, I was in primary 5.

Knew/heard nothing undecidedundecided

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 10, 2014
Read about it here last year...RIP. To them....... https://www.nairaland.com/1353519/july-10-cult-attack-oau

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Rick9(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2014
Eh Yah this is my first time of hearing about this bloody massacre, cultism is bad shall, well R.i.p to the fallen.
* In 2 Pac's Voice *

So Many Brothers Fell Victim To The Street,
Rest In Peace Young Nigga cos there's a heaven for A G' it would be a lie if i told you that i never thought of death,
my Nigga we the last ones left.
But LIFE GOES ON
So we will pour liquor for you.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by anonimi: 11:50am On Jul 10, 2014
Drniyi4u: The OAU Students Union reiterates its stance against cultism and state sponsored assault and repression. Hence, in respect of the July 10 remembrance of the OAU 5 that were gruesomely murdered on 10th July,1999 by cultists and elements of state oppression, the following are the events slated by the leadership of the Union for the day:
1. Press engagement @ NUJ Correspondence Chapel by 12 noon immediately after the NUJ Congress to receive more press coverage.

2. Candle Light procession and exposition on the July 10 saga by some past union leaders.

Procession moves from Awo to SUB. Awo hall so designated being the scene of the killing .Exposition holds at SUB.

ALUTA CONTINUA...VICTORIA ASCERTA..

I hope the exposition includes PICTURES and items from the sad night to VISUALLY remind people of what happened.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by pigin: 11:51am On Jul 10, 2014
afrika
Every July 10, students of the
Obafemi Awolowo University
(OAU) in Ile-Ife, Osun State
remember their five union
leaders allegedly killed by cultists
on the campus in 1999. Fourteen
years after, the memories of the
slain students still linger in their
colleagues’ hearts. SIKIRU
AKINOLA, KEMI BUSARI (400-
Level Political Science),
OLUWAFEMI OGUNJOBI (400-
Level Language Arts) and
OLUFUNMINIYI SALAWU (400-
Level History) report.
Barely two months after the
return of democracy in 1999,
tragedy hit the Obafemi Awolowo
University (OAU) in Ile-Ife, Osun
State. Five students were
allegedly shot dead by members
of Confraternity,
believed to have been sponsored
from within the university.
George Akinyemi Iwilade, fondly
called Afrika, 21-year old 400-
Level Law student, who was then
the General Secretary of the
Students’ Union Government
(SUG), Eviano Ekeimu, 400-Level
Medicine, Yemi Ajiteru, an extra
year student, Babatunde Oke,
100-Level Philosophy, and
Godfrey Ekpede, were killed in
Blocks 5 and 8 of Awolowo Hall
on July 10, 1999.
Fourteen years after, their blood
has continued to water the flower
of freedom on the campus.
The attack was carried out in the
wee hours of the fateful day. The
late George, it was gathered, had
returned to his room 273, Block
8 in Awolowo Hall after a
ceremony at Awo café around
4:15 am. Thirty minutes later,
the assailants, led by a student
from another university, struck,
using machete to leave a deep
cut on George’s head before
shooting him in the forehead.
The second victim, Yemi, was
asleep when he was shot in the
stomach. He died instantly. The
killing of other victims was no
less gruesome as they were
attacked on different locations of
the campus before the assailants
took to their heels.
The following day, the cultists
were apprehended through the
effort of an informant, a
commercial driver, who drove
them to a hotel at Ile-Ife after
the attack. The cultists confessed
to the crime and claimed their
sponsor was an insider in the
university.
The then Vice-Chancellor, Prof
Wale Omole, was relieved of his
appointment after a
recommendation by a panel of
enquiry headed by Prof Tunde
Adeniran set up by the Federal
Government.
On October 29, 2002, a state high
court sitting in Iwo discharged the
accused because the prosecutor
could not prove their culpability
beyond reasonable doubts.
The students were reportedly
killed because of the anti-cultism
crusade they championed on
campus. Before their death, the
victims publicly disgraced top nine
members of the
confraternity in March 1999, who
were arrested at the university
quarters. The cultists’ colleagues
from other campuses launched an
attack on the students on July 10,
which coincided with the Kegites
Day.
On July 20, the remains of the
slain students were interred at
the university cemetery.
Thousands of mourners including
lecturers, parents, journalists,
market women and students
attended the funeral. A
philanthropist donated coffins for
the burial.
As a mark of honour, the victims
are remembered every July 10.
In the absence of the Students
Union, the Kegites’ Club in
conjunction with Students’ Security
Committee, Man O’ War and
other students’ movements, held
a rally to commemorate the
murder of the students
penultimate Wednesday.
At 7pm, the Anglo-Moz Car Park
hosted the regular students, who
did not go on semester break.
Candidates, who came to write
entrance examination, watch in
awe as a procession of students
moved round the campus amid
drama and chanting of solidarity
songs.
The remembrance kicked-off with
melodious songs by the Kegites’
members. The Man O’ War cadets
also thrilled the crowd with their
paramilitary stunts around a
bonfire.
The event took a different turn at
8:30pm during the candle-light
procession. The students, who
were initially lively, became
moody as they moved from the
Anglo-Moz car park to the
Students’ Union Building (SUB),
which they took as a symbol of
resistance against cultism.
The crowd moved slowly through
the school’s health centre to the
stretch which connects Halls of
Residence. Notable student-
activists and personalities that
graced the event included Hassan
Taiwo, National Coordinator,
Education Rights Campaign (ERC),
Oluwatobi Sofowora, a Botany
graduate, Kingsley Ogunne, Wale
Owolabi, Aderemi Ojekunle,
President, Association of Campus
Journalists (ACJ), OAU chapter.
They all extolled the doggedness
of the slain “comrades”, while
urging their colleagues to keep
the spirit alive.
“Afrika fought for a just cause
before he was murdered. We
should not take this sacrifice for a
ride but be quick to point out
injustice and always stand for
what is right,” Oluwatobi urged
the students.
Kingsley, a former Assistant
General Secretary of the SUG,
explained how Afrika went to
classes as a Law student in native
attires, ignoring the white and
black legal uniform made
compulsory for Law students.A
former student, Oluwaloseyi
Babaeko, urged the Inspector-
General of Police, Muhammed
Abubakar, to re-open the case to
ensure justice is done to the slain
students.

19 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Tytto(f): 11:53am On Jul 10, 2014
LARRYDKING:

no wonder the sch is one of the leading schs with high cultism activities.
Which school is one if the leading schools with high cultism? LAUTECH? You better get your facts right......

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by akinvest(m): 11:53am On Jul 10, 2014
Julie9093: Hmmmm my first time of hearing d story. following......
Well, then u were 4yrs old still a baby by then.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 10, 2014
Nobody: Terrible, that is how I could describe that time! I actualy went to read over-night at the law faculty that time and I did not know of the attack until morning while coming back to Awo Hall(the epicenter of the attack), my hostel.
I lost a friend to the cultist, at Fajuyi Hall. Eviano,
that was his name, a very briliant medical student.
Olajohnson1: As a mark of honour to Eviano the TV Room of Lt-
Col. Adekunle Fajuyi Hall was named after him. His
picture still hangs there. Amphitheatre was named
after Afrika Amphitheatre in honour of George
Iwilade aka Afrika.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 10, 2014
onyxo76: that medical student was my colleague - continue to rest in peace Evianno
I remember reading his obituary and a little narration of what happend in the Guardian, it made such an impression to my young mind then. Reading about this so many years later still gives me chills even though I'm not directly connected to anyone involved.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by acada111(f): 11:56am On Jul 10, 2014
Seun: I was there but fast asleep, in Fajuyi hall. I stayed up late that night so I didn't wake up immediately when the shooting started. By the time I woke up, all my room-mates except one had fled. I was like, "what's up" but the other room-mate asked me to switch off the lights. We survived. The next morning, we visited the scene of the attack in Awo hall. The attackers used shotguns. They shot the door lock on one of the rooms and the pellets made a mess on the other side. We saw The bloody mattress on which their main target was shot in the head. I saw a guy from that room, I think, who was still alive but was seriously wounded, bleeding and not getting any help. I heard about a brilliant medical student who was shot for being in the wrong place during the attack. As he bled to death, he cried for a knife so he could use it to operate on himself and stop the bleeding. No one responded because they were either in the bushes or too scared to help. So he died.

This is soooo touching, especially the part where the medical student was crying for a knife with which to operate on himself. I pray that their deaths will never be in vain. cry

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Vessel4christ(m): 11:56am On Jul 10, 2014
It's exactly 15 years, *tears* 5475 days, 131400 hours, 7884000 mins and 473040000 secs (d last two units, of course, increases in arithmetic progression. So it cnt b exact) today that cultists attacked Obafemi Awolowo University,Ile-
Ife, killing 5 students.
Prominent among those killed was the Secretary-General of the
Students' Union, George Iwilade aka Afrika (founder of Afrika Forward Movement AFORM).
U have come, seen, coquered, touched and saved lives. Thus, I say may ur souls continue to rest peace.
#TEAMOAU. #OAUsaysNO?

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Bigsteveg(m): 11:57am On Jul 10, 2014
LARRYDKING:

no wonder the sch is one of the leading schs with high cultism activities.

Be mindful of what u say, i graduated from lautech in 2012 and am still very much active, cultism is very minimal in lautech, infact, i can say dey dont exist. But when u talk abt yahoo yahoo, u can say ladokites are good @ dat.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Hayorstimmy: 11:57am On Jul 10, 2014
Its a touching story nd an unforgettable day in OAU.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2014
Smartsyn: Am hearing this story for the first time.

Thanks to Nairaland, learning never ends.
me too O... shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Bigsteveg(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2014
I am hearing this story for the first time, never knew OAU had such a terrible history.....I remember when i finished from Osun State Polytechnic in 2001 and wanted to go for direct entry, i wan told not to bother about OAU because my school, esa oke poly, ibadan poly, offa poly has being blacklisted by ife because of our school history with cultism, now i know y! But i was not a cultist, so i paid for other people sin becos OAU is a school i do dream of since childhood....all is history now as am a graduate of LAUTECH.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Harmvirus(f): 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
Smartsyn: Am hearing this story for the first time.

Thanks to Nairaland, learning never ends.

Same here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Slay Queen Bags Law Degree From UK University. Photos / Student Appreciates Naira Marley In His Final Year Project (Photo) / Long, Black Snake Killed In UNILAG Postgraduate Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.