Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,908 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife (45745 Views)

Neglected Burnt Room In Obafemi Awolowo University - Awolowo Hall / Moremi Hall In Obafemi Awolowo University On Fire. / Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by imotal(m): 12:07am On Jul 11, 2014
these lives were lost because of a menace that has continuously threatened the lives of innocent Nigerians. It is even worse. i pray Nigeria becomes a better place so we could have more positive stories for our kids.pray rest in peace to the Ife 5. rest in peace Slomega.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by olatunji390(m): 12:09am On Jul 11, 2014
I don't even know what to say. I don't know there is am unforgettable history in OAU. RIP to the dead who died in struggle
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by kel4soft: 12:19am On Jul 11, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
so between us...do you know Ifode ?
am 1 year your senior .

Why not PM him or her?
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by shumax: 12:25am On Jul 11, 2014
I remember Just like yesterday even though i was just in Jss 3, especially the scenes from tv, this incidence led the various Anti cultism campaigns around many schools, thank God cultism has reached a barest minimum in our campuses now.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Elythron16zero4: 1:09am On Jul 11, 2014
Quite very reminiscent were all the accounts given on this thread but i won't like to repeat most of the things said though i witnessed it the next day with the news making round the campus. At that time i was a 100 level student. Just as the kegites were in an expansive mood with their World chief engrossed in his usual oration ,i was returning from academics. it wasn't up to a minute i took a walk through the Awo cafe at about 4am for my jambito hall Angola that the running began with gun shorts blaring like the sirens. I took of straight for my room only to find my room C3 empty and dark as i called out names and nobody answered me. I summoned courage and went in but hid myself in the wardrobes till my room mates started returning from the bush behind D blocks meant for the foreign students (4got the popular name we used to call that block). Some guys who were at Faj hall reported that even those who attempted to rush some of the students to the Health centre were shot at when they ran into the black boyz and they abandoned them and ran for safety but returned to complete their mission to safe those guys but it was too late. In the morning there were shoes, pieces of clothes, bathroom slippers hung on the barb wires demarcating Angola hall and Awo hall. Scores of students sustained varying degrees of injuries resulting from running for safety. It was a horrible night. The last time i saw that nupmty; Efosa before he was nabbed along Ife-ibadan express was at a story building at May- fair off ondo- ore road. To be candid that guy looks quite dreadful at sight. on a lighter note; once i went to read at academics social science to be precise at night, someone shouted hey! look at Efosa and everybody started running and the guy started laughing and we knew it was a lie and a joke. While some of us returned to continue our reading some others refused out rightly to return.

On the funeral of the 5 i was there too and i could recalled their caskets was laid serially with their names on each for their family members to easily identify them. I saw an old man about 80years supposedly one the family member of the deceased weeping and i could not curtail my tears. It was a life time experience that will live with one in light years to come. My brief account of the memorable July 10, 1999.

5 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 2:06am On Jul 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRb5PdqM1c

This is a video i found of the old VC of ife celebrating his birthday....He seems like a nice guy?
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by livebullet(m): 3:15am On Jul 11, 2014
...all of you here are getting irrate over this unionism issue... my question is how have we all ever used this ALUTA spirit to clamour change in our nation(outside the 4 corners of campus.)
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by sisinaijayeye0: 4:15am On Jul 11, 2014
engineerd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRb5PdqM1c

This is a video i found of the old VC of ife celebrating his birthday....He seems like a nice guy?

Yes he is, he had absolutely nothing to do with the killings. But you must always find someone to blame. It's a sad story. For the student. Trust he would have been a great lawyer by now...just hearing it for the first time too. I always know oaustudents to martch round July 10
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by ademoladeji(m): 4:59am On Jul 11, 2014
July 10, 1999... What a day to remember!!! I wasn't a student of OAU buh my brothers were. There was a medical student named Eviano Ekelemu... I know him very well, he attended a church, God's Kingdom Society of Nigeria, beside my house den @ Shogunle, Lagos. He's always the first to get to the church n also the last to leave. Very hardworking, quiet, handsome... His elder ones were studying n living abroad buh chose to remain in the country. I wept, wept n wept when I heard abt the incident, I attended their burial... I pray to God Almighty to grant their souls eternal rest.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by pcicero(m): 5:30am On Jul 11, 2014
Hmmm...another sad reminder. I was in 200 Level. I escaped death by the whiskers as I had just left Awo Cafe when they struck.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by funshyboi(m): 8:01am On Jul 11, 2014
sainty2k3:

Left lautech in 2005, and I don't think i know u,am part of student politics, specific alley liberal movement(justice,equity and transparency) , tell us the years of this exploit u claim
then you shud be an LHML of ours, your name or nick maybe it rings
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by funshyboi(m): 8:06am On Jul 11, 2014
datalossvictim1:

Hmmnn karma did iwilade wrong then. They should have reported the matter to the police instead of beating them to numbness. It is difficult to stop violence with violence. Very sad!
what the so calld police would have done? Later released dem anywaiz.not to talk of wen they been supported by the VC himself
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 11, 2014
funshyboi: what the so calld police would have done? Later released dem anywaiz.not to talk of wen they been supported by the VC himself

It does not matter now. How can you want to stop cultism yet you are beating somebody till blood gushes out of every part of their body. Is that not what cultists are known for? Shedding blood ? embarassed but it's all in the past. Actually not really. Look at the Aluu4 victims.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 9:36am On Jul 11, 2014
shumax: I remember Just like yesterday even though i was just in Jss 3, especially the scenes from tv, this incidence led the various Anti cultism campaigns around many schools, thank God cultism has reached a barest minimum in our campuses now.
if I hear! Them still dey but are coded.. The ones in unilag , laspotec , unnab dey find money yahoo wise.. But its still strong in east and south south.. The stories I hear from benin , owerri,aba and warri dey trip me
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by sisiafrika(f): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2014
simplyaroy: May the souls of the Departed Rest in Peace. The Afrika guy seemed like a Real Fighter. He could have made a difference if he were alive today. Nigeria surely needs more of his kind. That said...

OAU has never been a stronghold of 'cultism' (and I'd use confraternities or more simply frat hence because its more appropriate), but that after the '99 massacre, there were no frat boys in OAU is very misleading. I was surprised to meet a few NBM boys some years back from OAU who finished in the new Millenia... Brilliant Chaps I must add. Considering that the HIT was allegedly pulled by NBM boys, that's says a lot. They just went underground, nothing more.

I have always been anti-violence no matter who the giver or recipient is. If you would learn one thing and one thing only about Frat boys, know this, THEY HAVE HUGE OVER-INFLATED EGOs. No matter the Frat. That maximum shi-shi must have been very demeaning. And might I add unneccesary. If they weren't actively breaking the law, then they are just regularly students who should be left alone. Might I add that the same thing happened in LASU, Feb 13th 2003. Comrade Tunde Salau, the SUG president, was gunned down allegedly by NBM boys. What did he do too? He was witch hunting them and using the maximum shi shi approach. I have never seen where two wrongs made a right.

The Violence in their ranks is a reflection of the Nigerian society. I'm not the President but I'd rather seek to control than Proscribe this fraternities. Babaginda tried proscription in 89, look at where that got us.

A lady mentioned that Frat boys are sad, forced in joining, regret joing, drug-addicts, violence loving, sociopaths. I have never seen assumptions so far from the truth. Another said she wishes them death. I'm sure your brother or cousin will be the first to die. Its the sad Irony of life.

Never Again!!! May this incident never again happen on our campuses. While remembering the departed 5, let's take the lessons and implement them. Long Live Nigerian Students. Aluta Continua, Victoria Ascerta
God will catch u one day! Wat is ur gain?
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2014
livebullet: ...all of you here are getting irrate over this unionism issue... my question is how have we all ever used this ALUTA spirit to clamour change in our nation(outside the 4 corners of campus.)
I pray. It happens cos it will signal revolution 4 naija.. Too bad a lot of the people that could speár head such like afrika are long gone..and the children of this generation don't know there worth of freedom and careless about the activites of the society
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Okudiover(m): 10:33am On Jul 11, 2014
It was the Ife incident in July of 1999 (my final year) that caused the new civilian regime of Obasanjo to organise renounciation of cultists all across the Nigerian Universities, there was relative peace for a few months at ABSU but by year 2000/2001 the politicians started to engage the peculiar services of these frat men and the whole thing started again.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by ayore: 11:04am On Jul 11, 2014
[quote author=AbuMikey]On Iwilade George Afrika

Atleast my dear friend not everybody understand yoruba and as for me I'm unable to decode ur submission because it is written in yoruba. However, I have learnt a lot and the story is very informative to upcoming undrgraduate. And again this gruesome act is against what we use to know stands for if they were the one who carried out this act. I pray they will never go unpunished and for the lost comrade may they find peace in the bossom of the lord
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by filcast(m): 12:07pm On Jul 11, 2014
simplyaroy: May the souls of the Departed Rest in Peace. The Afrika guy seemed like a Real Fighter. He could have made a difference if he were alive today. Nigeria surely needs more of his kind. That said...

OAU has never been a stronghold of 'cultism' (and I'd use confraternities or more simply frat hence because its more appropriate), but that after the '99 massacre, there were no frat boys in OAU is very misleading. I was surprised to meet a few NBM boys some years back from OAU who finished in the new Millenia... Brilliant Chaps I must add. Considering that the HIT was allegedly pulled by NBM boys, that's says a lot. They just went underground, nothing more.

I have always been anti-violence no matter who the giver or recipient is. If you would learn one thing and one thing only about Frat boys, know this, THEY HAVE HUGE OVER-INFLATED EGOs. No matter the Frat. That maximum shi-shi must have been very demeaning. And might I add unneccesary. If they weren't actively breaking the law, then they are just regularly students who should be left alone. Might I add that the same thing happened in LASU, Feb 13th 2003. Comrade Tunde Salau, the SUG president, was gunned down allegedly by NBM boys. What did he do too? He was witch hunting them and using the maximum shi shi approach. I have never seen where two wrongs made a right.

The Violence in their ranks is a reflection of the Nigerian society. I'm not the President but I'd rather seek to control than Proscribe this fraternities. Babaginda tried proscription in 89, look at where that got us.

A lady mentioned that Frat boys are sad, forced in joining, regret joing, drug-addicts, violence loving, sociopaths. I have never seen assumptions so far from the truth. Another said she wishes them death. I'm sure your brother or cousin will be the first to die. Its the sad Irony of life.

Never Again!!! May this incident never again happen on our campuses. While remembering the departed 5, let's take the lessons and implement them. Long Live Nigerian Students. Aluta Continua, Victoria Ascerta
though you tried to maintain a fair line, you are obviously an ex-cultist. I won't judge you cos am not perfect either but I think you will help the younger generation more if you condemn this brand of 'frat' practised in our schools.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by SEYIOKE: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]
olowodon: July 10 1999 in Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife.Are you a witness of the massacre or were you told.narrate your story.
I met d aftermath. Got admission Sep 2000
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by sweetguy10(m): 12:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
This AFRIKA guy though brave contributed to his own fall too . He went to the extreme of walking 10 NBM boys naked in campus ?? shocked shocked shocked

The guy must have slept overnights in various extra terrestrial powered herbs , wear amulets et al to face all these . He intrigues me !!

But i won't do all that for a million dollars !
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Stunner1(f): 1:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
Anyoda ife is a counterfeit.....
Greatest Ife!!!!!!!!!
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 1:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
sweetguy10: This AFRIKA guy though brave contributed to his own fall too . He went to the extreme of walking 10 NBM boys naked in campus ?? shocked shocked shocked

The guy must have slept overnights in various extra terrestrial powered herbs , wear amulets et al to face all these . He intrigues me !!

But i won't do all that for a million dollars !
a very brave man afrika is but from the way I see him no b normal. Eye the guy dey use waka.. Just that he was caught on his unguarded hour.. Despite the fact I tend to like him.. There should be a statue of the slain men in the uni

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by command01(f): 3:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
Wow!

I'm so depressed right now on hearing about this incident for the first time..may the souls of these gallant comrades continue to rest in perfect peace..sad!
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 11, 2014
Just like Seun came up with Nairaland......I wonder what these dudes would have become today if they were not cut off so abruptly in their prime. I wonder who that Iwitade dude must have been in terms of his personalty. Sounds like a combo of brains, brawn and jaguda with a moral inclined perspective. I've asked my uncles and aunts, and most of them left OAU before 99 so I've not really been able to get anything satisfying.
Pls can someone descibe Iwitade's personality and exploits. I doubt I'm the only one interested in hearing this.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by naikeboy(m): 5:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
one week gone for the registration of uniport post ume, two weeks still remaining. call Ik on 08068418146 for registration and assistance and also uniport law diploma is still on sale... hurry now. thanks
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Jarus(m): 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2014
bodashee: Just like Seun came up with Nairaland......I wonder what these dudes would have become today if they were not cut off so abruptly in their prime. I wonder who that Iwitade dude must have been in terms of his personalty. Sounds like a combo of brains, brawn and jaguda with a moral inclined perspective. I've asked my uncles and aunts, and most of them left OAU before 99 so I've not really been able to get anything satisfying.
Pls can someone descibe Iwitade's personality and exploits. I doubt I'm the only one interested in hearing this.

Most likely a national activist today. Most of those Ife union leaders end up being national activists, especially those that read Law.

Bamidele Aturu, Femi Falana, Mike Ozekhome, Ebun Adegboruwa, Lanre Arogundade, Fred Agbaje are examples.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by tinydev56: 5:17pm On Jul 11, 2014
dejt4u:
professor Wale Omole is his name.. He is now the Pro-chancellor of Lautech
. No he's not...senator bola ahmed tinubu is lautech's pro chancellor now..
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by tpia1: 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
seems that incident seriously demoralised govt/federal universities as a whole, and provided a boost for private university enrollment.

the difference between student morale in the eras before and afterwards, cant be compared.

now, this new era of students looking uneducated and preferring public cookouts to studying, where is it leading to?
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by tpia1: 5:25pm On Jul 11, 2014
btw, ife should not be defined by that plz.

while regrettable, people should stop harping on it.

cult activity is not new in nigeria.

if not for God's mercy, the country would be gone by now.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by iamord(m): 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2014
tpia1: btw, ife should not be defined by that plz.

while regrettable, people should stop harping on it.

cult activity is not new in nigeria.

if not for God's mercy, the country would be gone by now.
. The menace was created by our fellow man.. Not the devil so if we don't use our brain to tackle issues am sorry but God can't help the matter
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by dejt4u(m): 7:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
tinydev56: . No he's not...senator bola ahmed tinubu is lautech's pro chancellor now..
no..you ar wrong.. Tinubu is the chancellor and Prof Omole is the Pro-chancellor and chairman, governing council

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'LASPOTECH No Hard, Just Buy Textbook': This Sign Out T-shirt Got People Talking / Crowd Of Students In Night Class At Unizik, Nnewi Campus. / Induction Of Rivers State University Theatre Arts 100-Level Students (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.