Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,030 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? (19631 Views)

Normal Or Mini Laptop: Which One Is Better? / Palmtop Or Laptop Which One Is The Best / Classmate Pc Vs. Olpc Cm1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Atmmachine(m): 1:55am On Jul 13, 2014
please, how can i connect my tablet to the internet without using wifi
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by onyeuka: 2:56am On Jul 13, 2014
Laptop all the way
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bawss1(m): 4:38am On Jul 13, 2014
Atmmachine: please, how can i connect my tablet to the internet without using wifi

The tablet will have to have a provision for SIM cards or a USB port which you can then connect to an Ethernet/USB adaptor. Without either one of these features I don't think you can connect to the internet without wifi.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:31am On Jul 13, 2014
LordReed:

Dude follow me properly. We are talking of portability not what businesses are doing. You say having an external drive defeats portability I say how much does a tablet and external drive weigh compared to a laptop? Plus there are laptops without optical drives so are they useless because of that?

Actually a lot of companies in the west are transitioning to windows 2 in 1 ultrabook tablets.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:33am On Jul 13, 2014
bigdot1759: pls b4 u comment make sure u knw more or little in I. T. World, here in nigeria 80% of pple using tablet use it to play Game, & 80% of pple using laptop use to watch films, so how would u know the uses of the two, pls can u use tablet to write programming code using any acceptable platform?,

Yes it's called a Windows tablet/hybrid
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by LordReed(m): 6:33am On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Actually a lot of companies in the west are transitioning to windows 2 in 1 ultrabook tablets.

There you have it, the change has already begun.

Thank God the future of technology is not controlled by the nay-sayers.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:35am On Jul 13, 2014
LordReed:

There you have it, the change has already begun.

Thank God the future of technology is not controlled by the nay-sayers.

Yep I read of a hospital that changed all their computers to surface pro 3 devices, and I have a friend in the UK whose company are all using Lenovo Thinkpad Helix devices as their main computing device.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:36am On Jul 13, 2014
Atmmachine: please, how can i connect my tablet to the internet without using wifi

Ethernet port? Connect it to a switch or router with Ethernet ports.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:44am On Jul 13, 2014
CityNG: Some dedicated tablets can do play games and play them well.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro (hopefully the bastage spambot won't ban me for posting a url - again).

Darn how did I forget that one I guess it's because of the brand.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 6:50am On Jul 13, 2014
That Razer Edge is impressive but my Windows tablet hybrid is 13.3"

10" isn't bad oh well. So yeah my friend LordReed that's the tablet you are looking for.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Atmmachine(m): 6:52am On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ethernet port? Connect it to a switch or router with Ethernet ports.

I mean using it outdoor when i'm not at home
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 7:09am On Jul 13, 2014
Atmmachine:

Highly doubt you can get a MiFi card unless your area has one
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by LordReed(m): 7:12am On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198: That Razer Edge is impressive but my Windows tablet hybrid is 13.3"

10" isn't bad oh well. So yeah my friend LordReed that's the tablet you are looking for.

It's the dGPU that blows me away. To have a dGPU in such a form factor is a technological feat as far as I am concerned. Think of what will happen when manufacturing gets down to less than 14nm.

2 Likes

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by LordReed(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2014
Atmmachine:

Bluetooth tethering is an option.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Revolva(m): 7:17am On Jul 13, 2014
wait u guys mean table pc as in destop computer hisssss laptop is the most use na na who dey buy desktop for naija sef u know lappy is flexible n can be charged and carried to places
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Tekkyboy(m): 8:21am On Jul 13, 2014
Revolva: wait u guys mean table pc as in destop computer hisssss laptop is the most use na na who dey buy desktop for naija sef u know lappy is flexible n can be charged and carried to places
u have to grow up
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by mediachirps(m): 9:11am On Jul 13, 2014
Laptops are the best for me, any time any day. Tablets are good for.portability purpose.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bawss1(m): 10:36am On Jul 13, 2014
LordReed:

Bluetooth tethering is an option.

Really? You can establish an internet connection via Bluetooth tethering? How is this possible?
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by hob(m): 11:50am On Jul 13, 2014
i am still sticking with my laptop until it becomes extinct which is not happening soon....ciao
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by LordReed(m): 11:51am On Jul 13, 2014
Bawss1:

Really? You can establish an internet connection via Bluetooth tethering? How is this possible?

Truthful I've never used it before but I see the option in my phone.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
LordReed:

It's the dGPU that blows me away. To have a dGPU in such a form factor is a technological feat as far as I am concerned. Think of what will happen when manufacturing gets down to less than 14nm.

Think next generation Broadwell architecture which will replace Haswell sometime next year. Broadwell is on 14nm architecture. The funny thing is that the Razer edge pro is using an ivy bridge or 3rd gen CPU so you can imagine how much space would be saved if it were even on Haswell. The tablet is a bit thick, but that's ok with me since it has its own dedicated GPU.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by LordReed(m): 2:32pm On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Think next generation Broadwell architecture which will replace Haswell sometime next year. Broadwell is on 14nm architecture. The funny thing is that the Razer edge pro is using an ivy bridge or 3rd gen CPU so you can imagine how much space would be saved if it were even on Haswell. The tablet is a bit thick, but that's ok with me since it has its own dedicated GPU.

Exciting times ahead!

3 Likes

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Bigsteveg(m): 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
CityNG:

Globally many fortune 500 companies gives their employees a budget and then allow them to choose their hardware, The truth is that you can always run any application on any hardware once you establish a Citrix session.

In the past I deployed over 5,000 iPads to Physicians who used them in emergency room for my company. They did the tests on Toshiba tablets but I convinced them to switch to iPads once I took over the project.

Desktops used to be cheaper but now you have laptops/tablets/ChromeBooks that are dirt cheeps and organizations are realizing this.

Wowowo, dont give me that, i practically disagree, how many banks uses ipad or tablet to transact business, dont give organizations are realising this, how many multi national companies have u worked with, av being with nitel, mtel, shell and i can tell u d usefulness of laptop/desktop. Tablets/ipad is good maybe when ure in ur car or something, business in banks is more than just checking mails, am not gonna reply again. Go to d real world and see 4urself. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Fulaman198(m): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
LordReed:

Exciting times ahead!

Yes indeed. If I would have remembered the Razer edge pro, I would have gotten it instead of my Asus T300LA. I will wait 2 years or so I guess because I don't game as much as I used to. I used to be an avid gamer. These days I don't have as much time.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Chinzzy(f): 3:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
you can get a pc or a lappy from jumia and any other item yu need.

to place orders on Jumia n enjoy my discount s... view the item of interest on www.jumia.com ng TeX d item name, SKU nos , qty ,ur full name and address n then ur phone nos to 07030063600.
cash on delivery is sure.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by nervegasfarts: 3:17pm On Jul 13, 2014
Buy an hybrid like the Asus Taichi, Lenovo Thinkpad Helix and Dell XPS. U get the best of both worlds. One issue with this option is that most hybrids have only WIfi. You will need spend extra on an internet device like the mobile Wifi devices most ISPs are selling. If you have a mind to it, you can install any flavor of windows, linux or android, doesn't matter if most hybrids come with windows. Most of them come with solid state drives, so the risk of disk crashes is very little. Most low-end hybrids come between $600 and $800. If you can splurge $4000, you will also find something. A few things to watch out for:

1. Power cable: Find a hybrid that has a standard power port and power cable....something you can easily replace from Ikeja. If not, you may have to order from overseas. The demand for hybrids and their aftermarket parts has not risen enough in Nigeria, so many suppliers may not stock parts.
2. 1x USB 3.0 and 1x HDMI should be standard. Anything less you are short-changing yourself.
3. Spend money on a very good case/folder, so that scratches do not damage your machine's looks.

PS: I am using an ASUS Taichi DH51 to write this. Works very good. I have 2 virtual development servers running 24/7 and the performance has not reduced. At about $600, it is low-end, but satisfies my needs. Comes with a USB3.0 port and adapters for HDMI and VGA over the FireWire port. I'll advise you check the Dell XPS also. It is lighter than the Asus, and for equivalent/slightly better hardware, about $200 more.

1 Like

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Kessleek(m): 3:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
CityNG:

My pos t is not meant as an argument but educative to someone that may not know.

I have both mini iPad and Samsung Tab3. I have USB connector for the Samsung and the Apple connector for the iPad thetas enables me to connect thumb drives, SD cards and external SSD. I hardly use them as that is another device to carry and instead just use Cloud storage.

I'm a firm believer of using the right tool for the job and if a laptop is your hammer then so be it, but that doesn't mean that a tablet can't also hammer as good as a laptop.

I have iMac and MacAir (both running OSX, Windows 8.1 and Linux), mini iPad, Netbook (running Windows and Linux) so the one I carry is the one that fits the work I do. For games I have PS3 and Wii (never got into Xbox).
Guy have some love and share me some na...
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by LordReed(m): 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yes indeed. If I would have remembered the Razer edge pro, I would have gotten it instead of my Asus T300LA. I will wait 2 years or so I guess because I don't game as much as I used to. I used to be an avid gamer. These days I don't have as much time.

Tell me about it. I have to squeeze out a hour or two to feel the excitement when before I used to spend nothing less than 6 hours and sometimes whole days.

2 Likes

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
Kessleek: Guy have some love and share me some na...

My Brother they are trade tools.

When you are going to a job at an Android shop then you carry Android. grin
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
LordReed:

I like your style. You saw the same things that I see in technology.

There's always something better in terms of lighter weight, form factor, maybe an extra port or some doohickie.

But lets celebrate the technology that this device gives us in the palms of our hands.
Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Wowowo, dont give me that, i practically disagree, how many banks uses ipad or tablet to transact business, dont give organizations are realising this, how many multi national companies have u worked with, av being with nitel, mtel, shell and i can tell u d usefulness of laptop/desktop. Tablets/ipad is good maybe when ure in ur car or something, business in banks is more than just checking mails, am not gonna reply again. Go to d real world and see 4urself. Cheers

I am in the real world.

I would list my list of Fortune 100 companies that I've worked in and work in but it will make no sense to you unless you live in the US.

Financial institutions, emergency rooms in hospitals, nurses in isolation wards are all using tablets as an option.

I get it, you don't approve of tablets and question their usefulness, but that doesn't mean that companies are not using them.

Guy, even entire fleet of airline companies have iPad in their cockpit replacing some avionics and maps.

It's 2014 yo, wake up.

"American also wants to equip stewardesses with their own iPads

In December of 2011, American Airlines won FAA approval to use the Apple iPad to replace paper manuals pilots carry onboard aircraft. American Airlines today announced that it has become the first carrier to get FAA approval to use the iPad in the cockpit during all phases of flight.

Pilots for the airline will use the iPad to replace the paper-based reference manuals typically carried in flight bags that weigh 35 pounds. American Airlines figures that it will save $1.2 million on fuel across all of its planes each year based on current fuel prices by shaving that weight.

“This is a very exciting and important milestone for all of us at American Airlines as we work to modernize our processes and best meet the needs of our people,” said Captain John Hale, American’s Vice President of Flight. - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/American+Airlines+Wins+FAA+Approval+to+Use+iPad+in+Cockpit+During+All+Phases+of+Flight/article27646.htm#sthash.LgaQtmD8.dpuf"

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_details.jsp?id=prod670023_ca

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/ottawa-hospital/

2 Likes

Re: Tablet PC Vs Laptop: Which Side Are You On? by JOACHINpedro: 6:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
*wakes up forcely* .Which kind comparison be this?.... Mobile is a mobile...no mater how big or small...but a laptop?...another idea.. GAMING?=> it offers the best chances and comfortable relaxation when playing games with full HD ...esp.GTA,PES 2013..u can also slut in ur software if u are broke..moreover,u can play online games easily....MICROSOFT word...that one na baba...write novel as u want,u re free to carry on exceedingly....used for training my kids though...bt in apply iphones, b4 i typ a page...dem don summit d term paper...xcept i copied nd paste whch is equally applicable in laptops...i read clearing online with my laptops...more dan i do with my sis iphone....so nigga(op).. No mata wat...laptop no fit carry second talk more of last... (OKWURU ANAGHI AKARI ONYE KURU YA....MBA!!!!) ....*goes back to sleep gentlely*

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Double Recharge Card On Mtn,glo,airtel And Etisalat With Cheat Codes / Ipad 2 Vs Ipad 3 -- Spot The Difference / Cyberklock Free Browsing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.