Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. (12435 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / Return ‘Arabic Ajami’ To Naira Notes – Muslim Group(MURIC) Urges Buhari! / Why Do Fulanis from Kwara Like Adopting Yoruba Names: Like Kolapo And Bukola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by idumuose(m): 2:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
Youngwee(m):

..........I have always been fascinated by Yoruba people’s creative morphological domestication of Arabic names. There are scores of Yoruba names that are derived from Arabic but which are barely recognizable to Arabs or other African Muslims because they have taken on the structural features of the Yoruba language.

This is not unique to Yoruba, of course. As scholars of onomastics or onomatology know only too well, when proper names leave their primordial shores to other climes they, in time, are often liable to local adaptation.

(Onomastics or onomatology is the scientific study of the origins, forms, conventions, history and uses of proper names. Anthroponomastics specifically studies personal names, so this article is an anthroponamastic analysis of Yoruba Muslim names).

That’s why, for instance, there are many Arabic-derived personal names in Hausa, the most Arabized ethnic group in Nigeria, that would be unrecognizable to Arabs. Names like Mamman (Muhammad), Lawan (Auwal), Shehu (Sheikh), etc. would hardly make much sense to an Arab.
I am drawn to the onomatology of Arabic-derived Yoruba names because their morphological adaptation to Yoruba’s structural attributes seems to follow an admirably predictable, rule-governed pattern. I have four preliminary observations on this pattern

1. Bakare. This is the Yoruba rendition of Abubakar (or Abu Bake), the nickname of the first Caliph of Islam. As you can see, the “Abu” in the name is dispensed with, and the “Bakar” part of it is fitted with a terminal vowel.

Perhaps the most prominent bearer of this name in contemporary Nigeria is Pastor Tunde Bakare, former vice presidential candidate to General Muhammadu Buhari. Pastor Bakare was born a Muslim but converted to Christianity in his teens.

2. Buraimo I doubt that many non-Yoruba Muslims will recognize this name as Ibrahim, but it is. It follows the second morphological principle I identified in my introductory remarks. The “I” in Ibrahim is dispensed with, and intermediate and terminal vowels are added to produce Buraimo, which is sometimes spelled as Buraimoh. People who follow Lagos politics are probably familiar with the “Baale Buraimo Edu of Epe.”

3. [b]DisuThis is the Yoruba rendition of the Arabic name Idris. The initial vowel in Idris (that is “I”) is eliminated and a terminal vowel (that is, “u”) is added to it.

4. LamidiWhich Muslim name is Lamidi?” he asked.
“Abdulhamid,” I said.
He was unconvinced. I told him because of Yoruba people’s fondness for the short forms of names, they often dispense with “Abdul” in Muslim names that begin with that prefix. So that leaves us with Hamid. Now, there is something some people call the “h-factor” in Yoruba, which is the tendency for Yoruba speakers to unconsciously eliminate the “h” sound in words in which it is normally pronounced and to add it to words that don’t have it. So “eat” is often pronounced as “heat” and “heat” is pronounced as “it.” Given this phonological characteristic,“Hamid” becomes “Amid,” but the interference of the “l” sound in “Abdul” can also cause it to be rendered as “Lamid.”

5. Muroino or MurainoAs I explained in my introductory remarks, this is the Yoruba domestication of Imran, the father of Maryam (Mary) in the Qur’an. The initial vowel is eliminated and intermediate and terminal vowels are added.

6. Lasisi[/b] This is Abdulaziz. The “Abdul” in the original name is dispensed with, the “z” sound in the other half of the name is replaced with an “s” sound since there is no “z” in Yoruba phonology and orthography, and a terminal vowel (“i”) is added.

7. Romonu or Ramonu (Raymond) This is the shortened form of Abdulrahman.

8. Sulu (and Sulufilu) Most Nigerians are familiar with the name Sulu-Gambari courtesy of the traditional ruling family in Ilorin. Well, the “Sulu” in the name is the Yorubaization of Zulkarnain (which is more correctly transliterated as Dhul-Qarnayn). Since Yoruba has no “z” sound, the “z” in Zulkarnain is replaced with an “s,” and the rest of the name is lopped off. Sulufilu, another Arabic name that is popular with Yoruba Muslims, is the domestication of Zulkifil.

9. SumonuThat is Usman.

10. SunmolaThat is Ismaeel.

https://www.nairaland.com/1810802/top-10-yoruba-names-never

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
Except for number 3, I already know that others are related to Islam/Arab! No 10 does not sound arabic to me, it seems to mean "move closer to wealth"

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Brimmie(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
I always get confused of that Bakare.. Sounds like a Yoruba Name but doesn't have meaning in Yoruba Lang. Now I know! And the last one is "Sunmaila" not "Sunmola". There is "Mosunmola" in Yoruba, which is sometimes shortened to "Sunmola".

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by abes(m): 2:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
Except those are not Yoruba names but adapted names. So are Kafayatu, shakiratu, Alimo, Peteru, Jakobu etc.

NB: Sunmola is from Mosunmola and not Ishmael.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
quite interesting. I have always wondered what bakare meant. Is gbadamosi also Arabic?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by felifeli: 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sule
Mulikat
Sikirat
Falilat
Kafayat
Kudirat
Lati
Karimu
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by MRWHINNIG: 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
Raymond?? You can lie o

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by aljharem(m): 2:58pm On Jul 13, 2014
Obiagelli: quite interesting. I have always wondered what bakare meant. Is gbadamosi also Arabic?

Nope Gbadamosi is an Ijebu name
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by BABAKABIRU301(f): 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
PLS ALL THE NAMES YOU ARE MENTION ARE NOT BELONG TO YORUBAS, THEY ARE RELIGION NAME ISLAM, YORUBAS NAME THEIR CHILDREN ACCORDING TO THEIR RELIGION AND NAME OF THEIR gods and godess, E.G SANGO, OGUN, OYA, IFA, ORO ETC.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Brimmie(m): 3:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
BABAKABIRU301: PLS ALL THE NAMES YOU ARE MENTION ARE NOT BELONG TO YORUBAS, THEY ARE RELIGION NAME ISLAM, YORUBAS NAME THEIR CHILDREN ACCORDING TO THEIR RELIGION AND NAME OF THEIR gods and godess, E.G SANGO, OGUN, OYA, IFA, ORO ETC.
This is unfair to the Queen's Language! sad Musiwa, is that you?

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by cjrane: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
[size=18pt]What about Musiwa?
Is it a Yoruba corruption of Musharraf?[/size] grin

10 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
aljharem:

oh really? Do you know what is means?
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Dawdy(m): 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
Muraino is not Maryam, rather it is Imraan

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by shikshark: 4:17pm On Jul 13, 2014
even spain too stole islamic names.....jose morhino= Muroino or Muraino
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by daryoor(m): 4:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
all this a muslim namea translated in yoruba.

its kinda funny yoruba Christians dont name their kids in the yoruba translation.

david- dafidi

peter- peteru

john- johanu

Moses - mosisi
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by maestroferddi: 5:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
daryoor: all this a muslim namea translated in yoruba.

its kinda funny yoruba Christians dont name their kids in the yoruba translation.

david- dafidi

peter- peteru

john- johanu

Moses - mosisi

At least I know one: Peter = Pitan (pronounced kwitor). Former Lagos state commissioner of health Dr Leke Pitan comes to mind.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by maestroferddi: 5:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
OP try breakdown "Olohunwa" which I learnt comes from Allahu or Alah. Let's have more examples...
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by daryoor(m): 5:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
maestroferddi: At least I know one: Peter = Pitan (pronounced kwitor). Former Lagos state commissioner of health Dr Leke Pitan comes to mind.

u funny die. pitan = yourba for narrate

later now u go talk say mutiu adepoju na mattew adepoju

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
I now know where Mourhino got his name,so its from Muraino..
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by maestroferddi: 5:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
daryoor:

u funny die. pitan = yourba for narrate
Na so I laff o when I found out that the name Peter had to suffer untold mutilation for the absence of the consonant "P" in Yoruba language and orthography.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by olowo200: 5:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
aljharem:

I disagree with you Gbadamosi is a Muslim name from Bademos I don't think I got the spelling right if not tell us the meaning of Gbadamosi in ijebu.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by mike404(m): 6:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
abes: Except those are not Yoruba names but adapted names. So are Kafayatu, shakiratu, Alimo, Peteru, Jakobu etc.

NB: Sunmola is from Mosunmola and not Ishmael.
RAMOTU (RAHMAT)SHAKIRATU (SHAKIRAT) RAIMI (RAHEEM)
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
MRWHINNIG: Raymond?? You can lie o

Dr Adedoyin Raymond, the owner of Oduduwa University, is/was a muslim(I don't know what he presently practices). I only know his wife (maybe some of his wives, don't know the actual nos) is a christian, she attends winners chapel then at Parakin when I used to attend the Damn Church. Raymond Adedoyin was born and raised a muslim until he grew up and decided to change his name to Raymond. Like I earlier said, I don't know what he practices now.

There are many Raymonds today who were born Abdulrahmon. Even Raymond Dokpesi, the owner of DAAR communications.

Hope I made sense.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by tpia1: 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
ramon, not raymond.

check the university website.

i've never heard of anyone changing their muslim name to raymond.

most nigerian muslims keep their names and do not change them to english ones. I think you used your imagination here.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
tpia1: ramon, not raymond.

check the university website.

i've never heard of anyone changing their muslim name to raymond.

most nigerian muslims keep their names and do not change them to english ones. I think you used your imagination here.

The street named after him at Mayfair bears Raymond Adedoyin Street Mayfair, Ile-Ife. The street leads to his private polytechnic. I grew up in Ife, I know his house at Mbabi Mbayo.

Cheers.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by seunfly: 7:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
Obiagelli: quite interesting. I have always wondered what bakare meant. Is gbadamosi also Arabic?
it's from d muslim name Badmus, that is why some call it badamosi like ibb familiy.
@op u got no 10 wrong, sunmola means close to wealth but sumiola or asunmon is the correct breed of ismaheal.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by seunfly: 7:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
maestroferddi: OP try breakdown "Olohunwa" which I learnt comes from Allahu or Alah. Let's have more examples...

No, olohunwa is not from allahu.
Olu or olo means the owner and awa means us or we hence oluwa means our owner.
Olohun = olu/olo + orun =owner of heaven.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by menice69: 8:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
idumuose:

https://www.nairaland.com/1810802/top-10-yoruba-names-never
what of Awesu which is Uwais in Arabic
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by tpia1: 8:05pm On Jul 13, 2014
Konmight:

The street named after him at Mayfair bears Raymond Adedoyin Street Mayfair, Ile-Ife. The street leads to his private polytechnic. I grew up in Ife, I know his house at Mbabi Mbayo.

Cheers.

check his university website which categorically states his name as ramon.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by dulaman: 8:05pm On Jul 13, 2014
aljharem:

. so IBB (ibrahim badamasi babangida) is an ijebu man grin
aljharem:

. so IBB (ibrahim badamasi babangida) is an ijebu man?
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by tpia1: 8:06pm On Jul 13, 2014
badmus could quite possibly be of european origin, unless someone can post the corresponding arabic meaning.
Re: Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names. by seunfly: 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
op if u re close to the core yoruba speaker, u wont be suprised because ur own name will fall victim right in ur presence.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Denies DSS Arrest / Federal Character Not Requirement For Service Chiefs’ Appointment, Says FCC / Abians Protest Peacefully Against The Killings Of Igbos In The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.