Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,264 members, 7,957,652 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:49 PM

NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion (1702 Views)

NMA Strike Suspended? / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2014
A lot of stories have been peddled around in the last few days all in an attempt to swing public opinion to either side of the divide, well here are pertinent questions we should ask ourselves

1. There seem to be a heated argument over which group of health workers should head government owned hospitals, how comes there are no contentions over who heads private hospitals.

2. Of what importance is this argument over who becomes a consultant is to the patient and health delivery, I know a consultant physician is supposed to be the knowledgeable doctor that other doctors who are yet to be consultants take difficult cases to, and we feel safer in their hands, would the role of a consultant lab scientist or nurse or pharmacists add value to patient care

3. Why would there be an argument over appointment of a surgeon general who in the united states oversees all public health initiatives and programmes for American citizens while the minister takes care of administration and is not necessarily a medical personnel.

4. What's the salary scale of the various health workers in other countries, within Africa and beyond and is there a relativity amongst the various staff.

5. What would be the role of directors in the hospital, would it benefit the patient.

6. How comes medical doctors who are professors in anatomy and physiotherapy are not regarded as consultants in teaching hospital despite their years of experience but are basically in the academic lines training the younger ones but other experienced staff like lab scientist want to be regarded as consultants.
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by prettyprettywow: 4:05pm On Jul 13, 2014
1.Because private hospital has to be headed by the owner. which kind reasoning be this?

2. it is not your business to decide if having consultant in other field will affect the patient or not. let the govt and the patient decide that.

3. Don't we have director of public health in the ministry of health? what is his/her functions? And who told you Surgeon-General has to be a Dr?

4.Isn't there already relativity in Nigerian health sector? What level does a Dr start and what level do others start?

5. What is the role of Directors? Don't we all have rights to get to the peak of our careers? why should you allow one group get to Directorate level and prevent others ?

6. You last question is incoherent. I will respond to that when you write coherently.

Thank You

dalhat14: A lot of stories have been peddled around in the last few days all in an attempt to swing public opinion to either side of the divide, well here are pertinent questions we should ask ourselves

1. There seem to be a heated argument over which group of health workers should head government owned hospitals, how comes there are no contentions over who heads private hospitals.

2. Of what importance is this argument over who becomes a consultant is to the patient and health delivery, I know a consultant physician is supposed to be the knowledgeable doctor that other doctors who are yet to be consultants take difficult cases to, and we feel safer in their hands, would the role of a consultant lab scientist or nurse or pharmacists add value to patient care

3. Why would there be an argument over appointment of a surgeon general who in the united states oversees all public health initiatives and programmes for American citizens while the minister takes care of administration and is not necessarily a medical personnel.

4. What's the salary scale of the various health workers in other countries, within Africa and beyond and is there a relativity amongst the various staff.

5. What would be the role of directors in the hospital, would it benefit the patient.

6. How comes medical doctors who are professors in anatomy and physiotherapy are not regarded as consultants in teaching hospital despite their years of experience but are basically in the academic lines training the younger ones but other experienced staff like lab scientist want to be regarded as consultants.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 4:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: Because private hospital has to be headed by the owner. which kind reasoning be this?
so why not they go and own and head private hospitals, since they say they can head government owned ones, so we can see how many patients they have, aren't they all hospitals?

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by prettyprettywow: 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2014
Though you reasoning is somehow, But if I have a private hospital, then I will have to be in charge, if not, I will employe a seasoned administrator to be in charge of the day to day activities while i do the work I was trained to do.. Public hospital is govt hospital, so govt should decide who should head it and not an individual group
dalhat14:
so why not they go and own and head private hospitals, since they say they can head government owned ones, so we can see how many patients they have, aren't they all hospitals?
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 4:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: Though you reasoning is somehow, But if I have a private hospital, then I will have to be in charge, if not, I will employee a seasoned administrator to be in charge of the day to day activities while i do the work I was trained to do.. Public hospital is govt hospital, so govt should decide who should head it and not an individual group
ok nau, go set it up, run a hospital indeed!!!

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: 1.Because private hospital has to be headed by the owner. which kind reasoning be this?

2. it is not your business to decide if having consultant in other field will affect the patient or not. let the govt and the patient decide that.

3. Don't we have director of public health in the ministry of health? what is his/her functions? And who told you Surgeon-General has to be a Dr?

4.Isn't there already relativity in Nigerian health sector? What level does a Dr start and what level do others start?

5. What is the role of Directors? Don't we all have rights to get to the peak of our careers? why should you allow one group get to Directorate level and prevent others ?

6. You last questions is incoherent. I will respond to that when you write coherently.

Thank You

And who does the owners of private hospitals put in charge of the workings of the hospitals?

Who else (if not docs) becomes surgeon general in the US and other countries? JOHESU (nurses nd record officers) ?

You don't understand his last question because you haven't been to a proper medical sch/uni. If you have, it'll be crystal clear.
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by prettyprettywow: 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
Do all Drs write incoherently? I wonder
silentdon:

And who does the owner of the private hospital puts in charge of the workings of the hospital?

Who else if not docs becomes surgeon general in the US and elsewhere where such is practiced? JOHESU (nurses nd record officers) ?

You don't understand his last question because you haven't been to a proper medical sch/uni. If you have, it'll be crystal clear.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 6:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
prettyprettywow: 1.Because private hospital has to be headed by the owner. which kind reasoning be this?

6. You last question is incoherent. I will respond to that when you write coherently.

Thank You

maybe u should go and work in the ministry then and not a teaching hospital if u must be a director! I wonder what u are directing

the last question would be incoherent because u can't understand it probably

the surgeon general in the US is always a doctor , YES, except in the military, remember, Google is ur friend

relativity has newly been signed and sealed by the federal govt so any argument is only a wasted effort with u

I'm concerned about who becomes consultant because my patient's care matters to me unlike u

and I repeat, pls try setting up a private hospital
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by phantom(m): 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
pertinent questions..... smiley smiley
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by armadeo(m): 7:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
silentdon:

Fatality.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by allycat: 8:32pm On Jul 13, 2014
I have been going to work because I am a consultant and MDCAN has asked us to obey the court injunction. But I am not admitting any patient or operating till my residents are on ground. If I try and do more than my carrying capacity and a patient dies while I am trying to "help" nobody will tell me thank you instead they will curse my father and my mother. It has happened to me before, the relations were told the child had a cardiac problem so it was like 70:30 chance going into theatre. Even though there was a strike, I was already billed to go on leave the next day so with their consent we went ahead and unfortunately the child had a cardiac arrest after the surgery. The relations hounded me for weeks until I gave them the address for Medical and Dental Council to go and make a formal complaint. After that I never heard from them. That is when I understood what my colleagues mean when they say " help me help me na I'm dey cause trouble! The average Nigerian only likes the doctor when you are bending over for him to kick you in the behind other than that you are a nuisance.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by Morotov1(m): 8:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
This is not court of public opinion rather it is NMA opinion poll. As usual, you've stated your most pressing of all the 24 ultimatums given to FG.
So which one among them will even make the common man interested ?
Wonder what it will feel like working in such an environment with team workers in factions. Must be very suffocating and grossly unsatisfactory.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 10:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
Morotov1: This is not court of public opinion rather it is NMA opinion poll. As usual, you've stated your most pressing of all the 24 ultimatums given to FG.
So which one among them will even make the common man interested ?
Wonder what it will feel like working in such an environment with team workers in factions. Must be very suffocating and grossly unsatisfactory.
if the quality, qualification, and competence of the person (consultant) whom u would expect to take decisions that affects ur illness isn't of any interest to the common man when he seeks for health care, then I don't know what is
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by Morotov1(m): 6:29am On Jul 14, 2014
dalhat14:
if the quality, qualification, and competence of the person (consultant) whom u would expect to take decisions that affects ur illness isn't of any interest to the common man when he seeks for health care, then I don't know what is
Don't you also think that the patient will be more fulfilled and interested when he becomes aware that the care he is receiving is being rendered by an array of professionals from various disciplines whom also through improved qualifications, skills, competence, and experience had been conferred with the title of consultant by their employer to make independent interdisciplinarity decisions concerning his health using his/her area of expertise as a foot stool for proper management and return of the patient to optimum health.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 9:24am On Jul 14, 2014
Morotov1: Don't you also think that the patient will be more fulfilled and interested when he becomes aware that the care he is receiving is being rendered by an array of professionals from various disciplines whom also through improved qualifications, skills, competence, and experience had been conferred with the title of consultant by their employer to make independent interdisciplinarity decisions concerning his health using his/her area of expertise as a foot stool for proper management and return of the patient to optimum health.
This kind of statement is the very reason the NMA is against the toga consultant being used, so the lab scientist, and pharmacists wants to take "INDEPENDENT" interdisciplinary decisions, this is what the NMA foresees happening, u very well know that's not what they are trained to do, when the lab man and pharmacist now has the license to independently treat patients, that's an invitation for chaos and the patient who should be our primary concern would be the worse hit, as it is now, there is an "array of professionals from various disciplines" that take decisions that ultimately lead to the patients well being, and they all use their "area of expertise as a foot stool for proper management and return the to optimum health" You do not need an ego driven toga "consultant" to do this. mind u, this doesn't mean u can't rise to the peak of your profession
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by drered(m): 10:16am On Jul 14, 2014
dalhat14:
This kind of statement is the very reason the NMA is against the toga consultant being used, so the lab scientist, and pharmacists wants to take "INDEPENDENT" interdisciplinary decisions, this is what the NMA foresees happening, u very well know that's not what they are trained to do, when the lab man and pharmacist now has the license to independently treat patients, that's an invitation for chaos and the patient who should be our primary concern would be the worse hit, as it is now, there is an "array of professionals from various disciplines" that take decisions that ultimately lead to the patients well being, and they all use their "area of expertise as a foot stool for proper management and return the to optimum health" You do not need an ego driven toga "consultant" to do this. mind u, this doesn't mean u can't rise to the peak of your profession
Such ignorance. Expected though cos the word "Teamwork" is foreign to Nigerian MD's.. What independent decisions? Look. Nobody is trying to take "your patients" from you. The idea is for all of you to work collectively in improving patient care and therapeutic outcome. Everyone will have the scope of their duties clearly stated to prevent encroaching. The pharmacist will advise you on drug therapy, measure drug serum concentrations, manage medication regimens in polypharmacy, give inputs to optimise use of medication, identify potential and adverse drug reactions, give suitable alternatives in contra indications. The pharmacist still ends up running this by you. Basically, you put heads together and at the end improved therapeutic outcome!

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by Morotov1(m): 10:45am On Jul 14, 2014
dalhat14:
Your understanding of my little writeup is very shallow.
Independent , interdisciplinary, professional are words that are not difficult to understand.
Independent decisions and input of a distinct professional who collaborate and work in an interdisciplinary team towards achieving a improved health for patients.
If NMA believe that he can make decision unbehalf of the nurse, pharmacist, scientists and physiotherapist in carrying out their independent duties to ensure the wellbeing of the patient, then they need serious evaluation of their priorities.
You also don't need consultant title to do yours, how about the attending doctor as in US.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by phantom(m): 11:46am On Jul 14, 2014
drered: Such ignorance. Expected though cos the word "Teamwork" is foreign to Nigerian MD's.. What independent decisions? Look. Nobody is trying to take "your patients" from you. The idea is for all of you to work collectively in improving patient care and therapeutic outcome. Everyone will have the scope of their duties clearly stated to prevent encroaching. The pharmacist will advise you on drug therapy, measure drug serum concentrations, manage medication regimens in polypharmacy, give inputs to optimise use of medication, identify potential and adverse drug reactions, give suitable alternatives in contra indications. The pharmacist still ends up running this by you. Basically, you put heads together and at the end improved therapeutic outcome!
if you believe the bolded,then you ll believe anything. nigeria is not ripe for the bolded. the bolded is the ideal thing to do but as at today,have you seen any pharmacist counsel the doctors on drug use,polypharmacy etc
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 11:51am On Jul 14, 2014
Morotov1: Your understanding of my little writeup is very shallow.
Independent , interdisciplinary, professional are words that are not difficult to understand.
Independent decisions and input of a distinct professional who collaborate and work in an interdisciplinary team towards achieving a improved health for patients.
If NMA believe that he can make decision unbehalf of the nurse, pharmacist, scientists and physiotherapist in carrying out their independent duties to ensure the wellbeing of the patient, then they need serious evaluation of their priorities.
You also don't need consultant title to do yours, how about the attending doctor as in US.
has anyone tied you to his apron right now that is currently impeding your independence? does any doctor tell the lab scientist how to carry out his tests? or he now wants to clerk patients, make diagnosis and decide which tests to carry out? does the physiotherapist get instructions on how do mobilise a patient after surgery, all he gets is a request, no doctor lords on a nurse instructing them on nursing procedures? everyone knows his/her job, do pharmacists needs doctors to lord over them to do their work or do they want to start clerking patients and prescribing for the patients, maybe u should tell us what exactly u want to do with an independence u so much crave, with a title toga - consultant, and by the way, doctors aren't "consultant title" crazy, it can go by any name, as long as I've been certified as a fellow of the college
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 11:55am On Jul 14, 2014
drered: Such ignorance. Expected though cos the word "Teamwork" is foreign to Nigerian MD's.. What independent decisions? Look. Nobody is trying to take "your patients" from you. The idea is for all of you to work collectively in improving patient care and therapeutic outcome. Everyone will have the scope of their duties clearly stated to prevent encroaching. The pharmacist will advise you on drug therapy, measure drug serum concentrations, manage medication regimens in polypharmacy, give inputs to optimise use of medication, identify potential and adverse drug reactions, give suitable alternatives in contra indications. The pharmacist still ends up running this by you. Basically, you put heads together and at the end improved therapeutic outcome!
And the pharmacist needs to be a consultant to do these? these are already being done by pharmacists where I work and we work perfectly together in tandem, so what are u talking about Mr man
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by drered(m): 12:00pm On Jul 14, 2014
phantom:
if you believe the bolded,then you ll believe anything. nigeria is not ripe for the bolded. the bolded is the ideal thing to do but as at today,have you seen any pharmacist counsel the doctors on drug use,polypharmacy etc
Educate me sir on how Nigeria is not ready or do you just mean Nigerian doctors are not ready to allow this?
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 12:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
phantom:

the pharmacists should actually counsel the doctor if he's not comfortable with the drugs, that's their job, and the doctor may explain the rationale or change the prescription, it's all for the patients good if we all know our boundaries, the question however is do u need to be tagged a consultant to do that? I thought that's what they are thought in school to do
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by drered(m): 12:05pm On Jul 14, 2014
dalhat14:
And the pharmacist needs to be a consultant to do these? these are already being done by pharmacists where I work and we work perfectly together in tandem, so what are u talking about Mr man
Same reason you need specialists in different fields of medicine. Same reason there are nurse anaesthetist and nurse oncologists and a wide array of other specialist nurses or you think pharmacy is not diverse enough? I see what NMA is doing though. Its the same reason the Pharm. D programme is being kicked against. Nigeria is not ready for enhanced pharmaceutical input in the hospitals or pharm. D programmes but somehow Nigeria is ripe for every other thing that suits the MD's
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by phantom(m): 12:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
drered: Educate me sir on how Nigeria is not ready or do you just mean Nigerian doctors are not ready to allow this?
honest to God my brother,i would be the last person to hinder another mans progress but after JOHESU got that judgemnt from the NIC,it is on record that a group of pharmacists invaded one of the wards in one of the teaching hospitals in the east(i will get the name.for some reason,people are reluctant to call the name of the place) and went on a prescription cancelling spree.
one of them cancelled a drug from a list of drugs that a cardiologist had penned down for a man in heart failure.reason that particular drug had terrible side effects and should have been replaced with something else.
now,he cancelled a drug without seeing the physician involved.he didnt even know WHETHER IT WAS ACTUALLY BECAUSE OF THAT SIDE EFFECT THAT THE PHYSICIAN PRESCRIBED THAT DRUG.
okay even if you dont give a rats a** about the physician,what of the patient? there must be a reason why that patient is on that drug. talking about side effects,the pharmacist knows it by theory,but the physician sees that effect in action.thats why when pharmacists speak of side effects i laugh.
granted,the pharmacists know drugs,they know the effect of the drug on the body AND the effect of the body on the drug BUT DOCTORS ON THE OTHER HAND IN ADDITION TO KNOWING A LITTLE OF WHAT THE PHARMACISTS KNOW,KNOW THE EFFECT OF A DISEASE PROCESS ON THE BODY A.K.A PATHOPHYSIOLOGY AND THE BODY'S RESPONSE TO THAT DISEASE PROCESS.
IN EFFECT SINCE WE KNOW THE PATHWAYS OF A DISEASE PROCESS,WE ARE ADEQUATELY SUITED TO KNOW WHEN TO BRING IN DIFFERENT DRUGS TO ACT AT DIFFERENT LINKS IN THE CHAIN.

so in effect the pharmacist knows his drugs and their effects but the doctor knows HOW to use those drugs to achieve results including exploiting side effects... that is the koko! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 12:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
drered: Same reason you need specialists in different fields of medicine. Same reason there are nurse anaesthetist and nurse oncologists and a wide array of other specialist nurses or you think pharmacy is not diverse enough? I see what NMA is doing though. Its the same reason the Pharm. D programme is being kicked against. Nigeria is not ready for enhanced pharmaceutical input in the hospitals or pharm. D programmes but somehow Nigeria is ripe for every other thing that suits the MD's
of course there should be diversity and specialists in the different fields, but when people start to do jobs that aren't theirs, then the patients well being becomes a worry
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by phantom(m): 12:34pm On Jul 14, 2014
at UCH where this whole consultant nurse wahala started,a 'consultant' nurse had the effrontery to tell a surgeon that he couldnt open a wound until after a certain time period AS DICTATED BY THE NURSE.
my brother drered,you seem sensible so let me ask you,is that not encroachment into another persons job?
a nurse? haba somethings are somehow.
i can assure you,if the other health workers are allowed to be consultants when its obvious that patient care is not uppermost,we will have problems in this country.
NMA is shouting itself hoarse now. you all think we doctors are mad people BUT on the contrarywe are the only ones that appear to see where this whole thing is headed AND my brother,i assure you, it will not end well.
unfortunately,its the nigerian people WHO WILL LOSE not the doctors believe it or not. we are not asking nigerians to protect or stand up for the doctor(that is what they think) but we are asking that they stand WITH US AS WE PROTECT THEM. that is what doctors are doing.
i rest my case. smiley

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by dalhat14(m): 12:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
cheesy
phantom:
honest to God my brother,i would be the last person to hinder another mans progress but after JOHESU got that judgemnt from the NIC,it is on record that a group of pharmacists invaded one of the wards in one of the teaching hospitals in the east(i will get the name.for some reason,people are reluctant to call the name of the place) and went on a prescription cancelling spree.
one of them cancelled a drug from a list of drugs that a cardilogist had penned down for a man in heart failure.reason that particular drug had terrible side effects and should have been replaced with something else.
now,he cancelled a drug without seeing the physician involved.he didnt even know WHETHER IT WAS ACTUALLY BECAUSE OF THAT SIDE EFFECT THAT THE PHYSICIAN PRESCRIBED THAT DRUG.
okay even if you dont give a rats a** about the physician,what of the patient? there must be a reason why that patient is on that drug. talking about side effects,the pharmacist knows it by theory,but the physician sees that effect in action.thats why when pharmacists speak of side effects i laugh.
granted,the pharmacists know drugs,they know the effect of the drug on the body AND the effect of the body on the drug BUT DOCTORS ON THE OTHER HAND IN ADDITION TO KNOWING A LITTLE OF WHAT THE PHARMACISTS KNOW,KNOW THE EFFECT OF A DISEASE PROCESS ON THE BODY A.K.A PATHOPHYSIOLOGY AND THE BODY'S RESPONSE TO THAT DISEASE PROCESS.
IN EFFECT SINCE WE KNOW THE PATHWAYS OF A DISEASE PROCESS,WE ARE ADEQUATELY SUITED TO KNOW WHEN TO BRING IN DIFFERENT DRUGS TO ACT AT DIFFERENT LINKS IN THE CHAIN.

so in effect the pharmacist knows his drugs and their effects but the doctor knows HOW to use those drugs to achieve results including exploiting side effects... that is the koko! grin grin grin grin grin
welldone, Mr d koko cheesy
phantom:
one of them cancelled a drug from a list of drugs that a cardilogist had penned down for a man in heart failure.reason that particular drug had terrible side effects and should have been replaced with something else.

welldone, Mr d koko
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by drered(m): 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
phantom:

I doubt the above is true. A pharmacist will never cancel a doctor's prescription without getting back to the doctor first and if he does and the doctor insists the most he will do is ask the doctor to counter-sign. if by any chance he did then it is unethical and he can be reported with appropriate actions taken but then the above is still a conjecture. Even if by any slim chance this is true you can't on that basis say that Nigeria isn't ripe for the pharmacists input. Its just like saying all doctors are irrelevant cuz of mis-diagnosis which is common anyways or iatrogenic conditions caused by a group of doctors. You think pharmacist don't know that drugs are used for their side effects? LOL. Truth is MD's undermine pharmacists. The pathophysiology of all disease conditions are also taught extensively among other things. Its the same way doctors know "little" about drugs that pharmacists know a "little" about anatomy, pathology etc. Thing now is let pharmacists be experts in their field.
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by phantom(m): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
drered: I doubt the above is true. A pharmacist will never cancel a doctor's prescription without getting back to the doctor first and if he does and the doctor insists the most he will do is ask the doctor to counter-sign. if by any chance he did then it is unethical and he can be reported with appropriate actions taken but then the above is still a conjecture. Even if by any slim chance this is true you can't on that basis say that Nigeria isn't ripe for the pharmacists input. Its just like saying all doctors are irrelevant cuz of mis-diagnosis which is common anyways or iatrogenic conditions caused by a group of doctors. You think pharmacist don't know that drugs are used for their side effects? LOL. Truth is MD's undermine pharmacists. The pathophysiology of all disease conditions are also thought extensively among other things. Its the same way doctors know "little" about drugs that pharmacists know a "little" about anatomy, pathology etc. Thing now is let pharmacists be experts in their field.
I have no problems with that at all. I would try and get the full details from colleagues including the center.
as a house officer and even when I worked for a while in clinical medicine ,I never saw pharmacists in the wards for one day.I kid you not.
they have totally abandoned their job description. nobody is stopping the pharmacists from going on rounds with doctors.I don't or can't see or imagine doctors refusing to go on rounds with pharmacists or stopping them from doing their own rounds.
our pharmacists have learned to enjoy dispensing drugs when they shouldn't be doing that at all.
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by Morotov1(m): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
dalhat14:
has anyone tied you to his apron right now that is currently impeding your independence? does any doctor tell the lab scientist how to carry out his tests? or he now wants to clerk patients, make diagnosis and decide which tests to carry out? does the physiotherapist get instructions on how do mobilise a patient after surgery, all he gets is a request, no doctor lords on a nurse instructing them on nursing procedures? everyone knows his/her job, do pharmacists needs doctors to lord over them to do their work or do they want to start clerking patients and prescribing for the patients, maybe u should tell us what exactly u want to do with an independence u so much crave, with a title toga - consultant, and by the way, doctors aren't "consultant title" crazy, it can go by any name, as long as I've been certified as a fellow of the college
Your writeup is incoherent ..........and quite different from what is happening presently. Do some research or ask your superiors.
The word independent professional decision is really driving you over the edge.
Don't quote me again to ramble.
Re: NMA Strike: Simple Questions In The Court Of Public Opinion by bumfem: 3:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
dalhat14:

If he needs to be a consultant to do that , so be it. He is a consultant in his own field ,Pharmacy .I really don't know why that should be your headache.

Can't somebody reason well for once .

(1) (2) (Reply)

JOHESU Issues Two Weeks Ultimatum As Government Acceds To NMA 24 Commandments / Can Drinking BLEACH Cure Ebola / It Is Known That Eucalyptus Trees Are Very Large

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.