Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? (67798 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Did Messi Deserve The Golden Ball Award? / FIFA Releases World Cup Golden Ball Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:34am On Jul 14, 2014
slimberie: I think Funke Akindele Deserve to be given d Golden ball instead of Messi...
Dried joke.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by ddippset(m): 6:34am On Jul 14, 2014
disloman: Do u watch d world cup at all?abi na complete sport u dey read?D only match I can say Messi shined was d iran n it was due to d last minute goal he scored.Messi was average in all d matches argentina played.Masherano n Di maria r d best players in their team.4get d past glory.Did u watched arg vs holland match?Who saved arg in that match?Messi wasn't in that match.Truth just av to b told.Messi was just average in this tournament.
you ve given your oppinion just like everyone else. and i respect it.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by judedwriter(m): 6:36am On Jul 14, 2014
To me is arjen robben. D guy runs like a tank and has a neva-die attitude. Certainly my best playa for d WC wink
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 6:36am On Jul 14, 2014
He has collected it na..put ur opinion inside ur pocket! tongue
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 6:37am On Jul 14, 2014
ijbeauty: No!!!!!!!!! Should have been Robben,

Even Messi knows that he didn't deserve it, cos his face said it all when he was given that Golden ball...

Ojoro FIFA!!
u speak my mind.. Robben was the man. Stamina, shots on goal, team support, confidence... Everything!!!
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dhulqarnain(m): 6:41am On Jul 14, 2014
naijalodge: To me its Arjen Robben,shikena...messi scored against weak teams,Nigeria,iran and bosnia...against Holand,he was no where to be found,Arjen robben ruled the whole 120 minutes or so....
Ruled d whole 120 minutes yet he completed only 1 pass in d 1st half nd had only 1 shot on target thruout
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dhulqarnain(m): 6:41am On Jul 14, 2014
naijalodge: To me its Arjen Robben,shikena...messi scored against weak teams,Nigeria,iran and bosnia...against Holand,he was no where to be found,Arjen robben ruled the whole 120 minutes or so....
Ruled d whole 120 minutes yet he completed only 1 pass in d 1st half nd had only 1 shot on target
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by lafuria1(m): 6:41am On Jul 14, 2014
When stat doesn't favour them, the bring some irrelevant ones to justify.

What is most chances crated and most dribbles completed? Hahahaha

So messi was the most Outstanding player are the World Cup right? An outstanding player with no goals or assist in his last three games.

Anyway, below is FIFA World Cup eleven according to castrol index who uses technology to analyse the best player

3 Likes

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dhulqarnain(m): 6:44am On Jul 14, 2014
ebullientV: T. Mueller had 5goals and 3assists couple with the fact he played very well 4 Germany in all games.

L.Messi in comparison had 4goals and an assist and didn't really sparkle after d group stage, where he'd racked goals against weaker opponents..

And he won d Golden ball? Absolute joke and bias by Fifa. In my opinion James.R, A.Robben and Mueller, even Kroos deserved it more than Messi..

The ridiculous look on his face after recieving d award, indicates he was as suprised as most of us..
Muller's goals were mostly tap-ins,Messi created d most chances,made d most dribbles nd won d most man-of-the-match awards at d tourney.
His face wsnt ridiculous,he ws jst sad.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Anuoluwap(m): 6:46am On Jul 14, 2014
ambrosini593: To me a hell no. Thomas Mueller deserves it than Messi. What about you?. Let's hear from you
no. Collect it from him and give it to Mr. Diver Robben. If not for the laziness of the rest of argentine team it would have been a beta story. Coz it's obvious they only rely on messi in fact they wouldn't have gone this far if messi wasn't among. Now, you talk mueller where have you seen him single-handedly win a match for them. How many man of the match awards has mueller gotten since the start of the world cup? You don't just make emotional-driven judgements. Cause you don't like a player doesn't justify a player.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by vislabraye(m): 6:47am On Jul 14, 2014
shymexx:

I'm on a website now checking all those who have won it in the past. And it seems only Schillaci and Diego Forlan have won it without playing in the final at Italia 90 and South Africa 2010 respectively. But they made the semis(that should disqualify Rodriguez). And I believe most football heads should know why. They both had outstanding tournaments and were by far the best players at those tournaments. Robben wasn't the best player at this tournament.

. If Robben wasn't the best, how much more MEssi ? Messi was good but not spectaculAr. There were players who did more than him.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by steffoode: 6:48am On Jul 14, 2014
a man wit one eye is good as blind, dey builded d team round messi dat is y dey lost d match germany refused him 2 mak gud impart in d game same tin go 2 brazil. Messi di nt deserve d award
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Kayczz: 6:48am On Jul 14, 2014
fingard02k: NO oya go collect the award from him and give it to mikel

Nonsense people always hating on another man's success

na wa for u oooo

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 14, 2014
Messi deserve the Award! He's the No. 10 that single-handedly carried his team to the final. Won 4 MVPs, 4 Goals and the decisive assist against Swiss.

All Hail The King
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Anuoluwap(m): 6:49am On Jul 14, 2014
DebateNigeria: He doesn't. In my opinion he's not even in the tournament's top five with the likes of Muller (5 goals), James(6 goals), Klose (setting a new World Cup record and winning the cup), Arjen Robben and Gotze for his very last World Cup and most important goal in this World Cup.
I can go on and on.
Who deserves this award, to me it's James Rodriguess or MUller.
bro, it's golden ball not golden boot.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by vislabraye(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2014
Anuoluwap: no. Collect it from him and give it to Mr. Diver Robben. If not for the laziness of the rest of argentine team it would have been a beta story. Coz it's obvious they only rely on messi in fact they wouldn't have gone this far if messi wasn't among. Now, you talk mueller where have you seen him single-handedly win a match for them. How many man of the match awards has mueller gotten since the start of the world cup? You don't just make emotional-driven judgements. Cause you don't like a player doesn't justify a player.
. Mascherano was better than Messi is this WC. But wait a minute, you say the who Argentine team were lazy

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 14, 2014
FIFA is highly corrupt for them to have ignored james rodriguez and give the award to messi

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2014
Dhulqarnain:
Ruled d whole 120 minutes yet he completed only 1 pass in d 1st half nd had only 1 shot on target
n Messi played in d final n no shot on goal 4 d whole 120mins.Guy!reasonwith ur brain.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by danieloke(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2014
No matter how old you are now. You
are never too young or too old for
success or going after what you
want. Here’s a short list of people
who accomplished great things at
different ages
1) Helen Keller, at the age of 19
months, became deaf and blind.
But that didn’t stop her. She was
the first deaf and blind person to
earn a Bachelor of Arts degree.
2) Mozart was already competent
on keyboard and violin; he
composed from the age of 5.
3) Shirley Temple was 6 when she
became a movie star on “Bright
Eyes.”
4) Anne Frank was 12 when she
wrote the diary of Anne Frank.
5) Magnus Carlsen became a chess
Grandmaster at the age of 13.
6) Nadia Comăneci was a gymnast
from Romania that scored seven
perfect 10.0 and won three gold
medals at the Olympics at age 14.
7) Tenzin Gyatso was formally
recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama
in November 1950, at the age of
cool Pele, a soccer superstar, was 17
years old when he won the world
cup in 1958 with Brazil.
9) Elvis was a superstar by age 19.
10) John Lennon was 20 years and
Paul Mcartney was 18 when the
Beatles had their first concert in
11) Jesse Owens was 22 when he
won 4 gold medals in Berlin 1936.
12) Beethoven was a piano virtuoso
by age 23
13) Issac Newton wrote Philosophiæ
Naturalis Principia Mathematica at
age 24
14) Roger Bannister was 25 when
he broke the 4 minute mile record
15) Albert Einstein was 26 when he
wrote the theory of relativity
16) Lance E. Armstrong was 27
when he won the tour de France
17) Michelangelo created two of the
greatest sculptures “David” and
“Pieta” by age 28
18) Alexander the Great, by age 29,
had created one of the largest
empires of the ancient world
19) J.K. Rowling was 30 years old
when she finished the first
manuscript of Harry Potter
20) Amelia Earhart was 31 years old
when she became the first woman
to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean
21) Oprah was 32 when she started
her talk show, which has become
the highest-rated program of its
kind
22) Edmund Hillary was 33 when
he became the first man to reach
Mount Everest
23) Martin Luther King Jr. was 34
when he wrote the speech “I Have a
Dream."
24) Marie Curie was 35 years old
when she got nominated for a Nobel
Prize in Physics
25) The Wright brothers, Orville
(32) and Wilbur (36) invented and
built the world's first successful
airplane and making the first
controlled, powered and sustained
heavier-than-air human flight
26) Vincent Van Gogh was 37 when
he died virtually unknown, yet his
paintings today are worth millions.
27) Neil Armstrong was 38 when he
became the first man to set foot on
the moon.
28) Mark Twain was 40 when he
wrote "The Adventures of Tom
Sawyer", and 49 years old when he
wrote "Adventures of Huckleberry
Finn"
29) Christopher Columbus was 41
when he discovered the Americas
30) Rosa Parks was 42 when she
refused to obey the bus driver’s
order to give up her seat to make
room for a white passenger
31) John F. Kennedy was 43 years
old when he became President of
the United States
32) Henry Ford Was 45 when the
Ford T came out.
33) Suzanne Collins was 46 when
she wrote "The Hunger Games"
34) Charles Darwin was 50 years old
when his book On the Origin of
Species came out.
35) Leonardo Da Vinci was 51 years
old when he painted the Mona Lisa.
36) Abraham Lincoln was 52 when
he became president.
37) Ray Kroc Was 53 when he
bought the McDonalds Franchise
and took it to unprecedented levels.
38) Dr. Seuss was 54 when he
wrote "The Cat in the Hat".
40) Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III
was 57 years old when he
successfully ditched US Airways
Flight 1549 in the Hudson River in
2009. All of the 155 passengers
aboard the aircraft survived
41) Colonel Harland Sanders was 61
when he started the KFC Franchise
42) J.R.R Tolkien was 62 when the
Lord of the Ring books came out
43) Ronald Reagan was 69 when he
became President of the US
44) Jack Lalane at age 70
handcuffed, shackled, towed 70
rowboats
45) Nelson Mandela was 76 when
he became President

Messi don collect am so let stop all ds talk. E ba onire yo jare

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by chukxie(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2014
Fifa is a joke! Everyone knows Messi is Fifa's poster child. In my opinion, he didn't deserve the golden ball award any more than Suarez. It should've been given to players like Robben, Muller. ..
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by lafuria1(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2014
Castrol ranking

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Yungmilio2(m): 6:51am On Jul 14, 2014
MULLER deserves it
scoring the first goal against Brazil
inspired them the Final
5goals 3assist.. and won the world cup
so nothing for his effort?
FIFA
Football isn't For All
Messi couldn't score a goal from the Knockout stage
how would he have won that award?
I rather give that award to Robben or Neymar
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dhulqarnain(m): 6:51am On Jul 14, 2014
MaziOmenuko: In this same tournament that we saw James Rodriguez scoring 6 goals with 2 assists; Robben running down his opponents with ease, scored 3 with 1 assist; Muller scoring 5 goals, 3 assists and winning the world cup?

If they don't know who to give it, they should give it to my grandma!
Messi also had 4 goals with 1 assist,includin 4 man of d match awards.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by justi4jesu(f): 6:53am On Jul 14, 2014
he won because

1) he was one of the top scorers in this world cup,

2) because his assists were constantly on point and purely genius,

3) he freaking CARRIED THE WHOLE team to the finals despite being surrounded by tired/injured players who did nothing to assist him (aside from Di Maria but he wasn't much of a help considering the terrible accuracy he has in throwing the ball either at the goal or to other players) .

Others did great job but could they have carried their teams to the finals all by themselves? NO

all these guys did great because THEIR team members ASSISTED them and helped them achieve greatness.

they all had teamplay at work.

Messi never got that assistance. he had to create the goals all by himself while also helping his team-mates score. Heck he even had to step in and force his coach to abandon terrible strategies that could have kicked the team out at the group stages.

So ENOUGH with the whining. Instead of wasting time on pointless arguments why don't you report on real issues like the massacre happening in Palestine right now undecided
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:53am On Jul 14, 2014
Titiluvly: He has collected it na..put ur opinion inside ur pocket! tongue
If not I av a crush on u,I would av replied u. grin
Titiluvly: He has collected it na..put ur opinion inside ur pocket! tongue
If not I av a crush on u,I would av replied u.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dhulqarnain(m): 6:54am On Jul 14, 2014
disloman: n Messi played in d final n no shot on goal 4 d whole 120mins.Guy!reasonwith ur brain.
Yea,but Muller ddnt play any better dan him.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by kechywillz(m): 6:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Ojoro Fifa,Muller or Rodriguez deserves it thab that small man
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by ebullientV(m): 6:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Dhulqarnain:
Muller's goals were mostly tap-ins,Messi created d most chances,made d most dribbles nd won d most man-of-the-match awards at d tourney.
His face wsnt ridiculous,he ws jst sad.
Tap-ins or not, they were all counted as goals.. That's a knack for being in d right place @ d ryt time.. He created the most chances, but Muller had three assists so?

I respect your opinion but IMO, he didn't even deserve to finish 3rd..
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dailyfavour(m): 6:55am On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=ambrosini593]To me a hell no. Thomas Mueller deserves it than Messi. What about you?. Let's hear from you

Was shockes to the marrow when Messi was called, Ojoro will continue till world end
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:57am On Jul 14, 2014
Dhulqarnain:
tongue
Dhulqarnain:
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 14, 2014
kelechiMarie: sentiments aside you want to tell me messi performed better than james rodriguez or robben? you are a big joke abi na back of T.V you dey watch
James was already out in the quarters, personally i would have gone for him.. Robben didnt out performed Messi.. Messi created a host of chances for Argies in which they failed to make good use of... The only person that was on par with Messi was Muller...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

John Obi Mikel Changes His Name After Nigeria Mistake 13 Years Ago / Jay Jay Okocha’s Son With AY And Nwankwo In Turkey / Barcelona Takes Down Poster Of Neymar For Betraying The Spanish Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.