Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? - Sports (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? (67806 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Did Messi Deserve The Golden Ball Award? / FIFA Releases World Cup Golden Ball Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Ephemmm: 7:48am On Jul 15, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: kingfisher, new delhi, India, 9 hours ago
Top Scorer:- No; Top Assist:- No; Won World Cup:- No; Goal in Final:- No; Goal in Knock out stage:- No; Goal against big teams:- No; Controlled the game like Zidane did in 2006:- No; Scored when team required like Forlan did in 2010:- No; Carried the team to the Final:- No; Performance in Final Match:- Flop; Performance in Semi Final match:- Flop; Performance in Quarterfinal Match:- Flop; And Golden ball winner....Messi.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2691613/Lionel-Messi-didnt-deserve-win-Golden-Ball-FIFA-marketing-plan-Diego-Maradona-doesnt-hold-Argentinas-World-Cup-final-defeat.html

What you failed to realize that Diego Maradona was happy the cup didn't go to Argentine, as this will belittle his achievements. If James was given the special attention like the one Messi was given, I know for sure that he will not score more than a goal.

If someone like Mourhino can praise Messi, despite his hatred for him, I think there is no point in arguing.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4055/main/2014/07/14/4959341/messi-is-still-a-historical-player-mourinho?ICID=OP check it out

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Ephemmm: 7:55am On Jul 15, 2014
publicenemy:

What are you saying? Did you see anywhere in my post where i said the world best was robbed in the world cup? Or are you as blind as you are dumb?

U might not say it directly, but you said it indirectly. Check your prior post where you made reference to FIFA robbing Ronaldo to pay Messi. Or has your brain joined industrial strike too?
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by publicenemy(m): 8:04am On Jul 15, 2014
Ephemmm:

U might not say it directly, but you said it indirectly. Check your prior post where you made reference to FIFA robbing Ronaldo to pay Messi. Or has your brain joined industrial strike too?

Fool ... I said " it used to be FIFA robbing ronaldo to pay messi".

" used to be ".
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by yegbamee: 10:41am On Jul 15, 2014
The problem is that people are so used to seeing Messi's magical football so much that it doesn't even seem magical to them anymore. But trust me, hardly is there any footballer today that does what that fellow do.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by rhames(m): 5:38pm On Jul 15, 2014
9jvirgin: Sepp Blatter can go ahead and give Messi's father the Diamond Ball, we know better grin.

Even if he did not desreve it the FIFA guys will still give it to him. Remember Ronaldo's rants against Sepp Blatter last season?THere is no hiding it that that theey prefer him to anyone else even if he is not playing well.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by 2chains1(m): 6:05pm On Jul 15, 2014
To all the people underrating Muller, he is the most consistent player of the WC since the turn of the century.Thomas Müller has scored 10 goals and provided six assists in just 13 World Cup matches. Ronaldo and messi together have not scored that much. No one should call him an average player because there are very few players in the world who have won every single tournament he has played in save for the Euros.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Ephemmm: 6:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
publicenemy:

" used to be ".

For your information, this is an excerpt from your post - "It use to be robbing CR7 to pay messi and everybody gave FIFA the benefit of the doubt but this is just obvious and echoes the fact that CR7 has been robbed over the years" -

Can you now see where you made the reference? Messi's hater, your brain is inside your skull: locate it and use it for once.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by 9icetoo(m): 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
diarisgod: Exactly amingo, we could have even been dumped out in the Group Stage had it been Messi was not in our squad. Not even with the low plays from Gonzalo and Sergio...
Who is we? Are you from Argentina? Jeez. Nigerians have really taken fanaticism to a whole new level. By the way, Messi didn't deserve the award. He was below par. Robben deserved it more. Muller was better than him. Schweinsteger was also better.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Dreament(m): 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
This thing is like asking the APC party about PDP government. Do u expect the APC to say anything good about the PDP government, before the macth almost everybody here was against argentina. 4 yrs ago it was messi didnt score against eyeama, this year he didnt score @the knock out stage as if the goal he scored @the group age was not part of the tournament. I dont blame them because their hatred 4 messi has blinded them to the extent that they dont c anything good in what he does on the pitch
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by yegbamee: 10:42pm On Jul 15, 2014
For the haters grin

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Tosyn007(m): 11:05pm On Jul 15, 2014
publicenemy:

" used to be ".

Which means they've done it before...at what point if I may ask?
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Tosyn007(m): 11:07pm On Jul 15, 2014
rhames:

Even if he did not desreve it the FIFA guys will still give it to him. Remember Ronaldo's rants against Sepp Blatter last season?THere is no hiding it that that theey prefer him to anyone else even if he is not playing well.

But this same Ronaldo couldn't help his team survive the group stage. They couldnt even comfortably beat a disjointed Ghana

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Tosyn007(m): 11:09pm On Jul 15, 2014
9icetoo:
Who is we? Are you from Argentina? Jeez. Nigerians have really taken fanaticism to a whole new level. By the way, Messi didn't deserve the award. He was below par. Robben deserved it more. Muller was better than him. Schweinsteger was also better.

Which of these players singlehandedly carried his team to the knockout stage?
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by dannyfillz(m): 12:01am On Jul 16, 2014
benebaby77: Top scorer -No.
Top Assist-No
Win world cup-No
Goal in final-No
Goal in knock out stage-No
Goal against big team-No
Performance in quarter final-flop
Performance in semifinal-flop
Performance in final-flop
And Golden Ball winner-Messi.
Fifa! fifa! Fifa!!! Dia is God ooooo
Just like the coca cola world cup advert,you knw notin about football.....jst keep doing follower
U forgot dis:against enyeama -no goal.....stupid people....MESSI THE LEGEND SHINE ON.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Brianino(m): 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: The Golden Ball award is an individual award. Simple question who was the best player at the World Cup. That individual that stood head and shoulders above every other player at the World Cup. It definitely was not Messi.
jesus christ dtz wat we call pure class.brilliant analysis. All diz messi cock lickerz. Quit diz bias analysis pls. Yea we knw cr7 and messi are d two best players in d world bt 4 christ sake d best player at diz worldcup waz Jamez rodriguez. Compare messi's goals,magic,impact,assists 2 diz boy's own.NO CONTEST.....d boy playin in central midfield,scored in evry match he played in,2 assists,magical goals.WADELSE?

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by scribe2000(m): 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
The pic below shows that Messi is just being hated.

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
scribe2000: The pic below shows that Messi is just being hated.
Funny people. You guys find an excuse to justify Messi.s award. Most interception as an attacker.

You guys did not watch 2006 World Cup to see what Zidane did. Every one knew Zidane was clearly the best player.

Forlan was amazing. Messi did not stand out at the World cup. Now you guys search for stats to claim for Messi injustice award. Try digging Mascherano or Robben stats, you will see they did more than Messi.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:37pm On Jul 16, 2014
scribe2000: The pic below shows that Messi is just being hated.
Which one is most accurate through balls? Is that not a joke?

Most completed dribbles, give Jay Jay all the Golden balls.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by scribe2000(m): 2:43pm On Jul 16, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Funny people. You guys find an excuse to justify Messi.s award. Most interception as an attacker.

You guys did not watch 2006 World Cup to see what Zidane did. Every one knew Zidane was clearly the best player.

Forlan was amazing. Messi did not stand out at the World cup. Now you guys search for stats to claim for Messi injustice award. Try digging Mascherano or Robben stats, you will see they did more than Messi.

So even with glaring facts, your bias against Messi still can't let you face reality. Imagine it was Messi that got a red card in the final with the same stats as Zidane and still got the golden ball?
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by scribe2000(m): 2:48pm On Jul 16, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Which one is most accurate through balls? Is that not a joke?

Most completed dribbles, give Jay Jay all the Golden balls.

So in your mind, the only stats that count are goals scored and assists. Why then did Zidane and Forlan win the golden balls in those world cups, since they were not the best on those terms. The best in the tournament is judged by all those criteria you are trying to rubbish. Come off it bro. Allow the little genius space to rest. He did not create himself.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
scribe2000:

So even with glaring facts, your bias against Messi still can't let you face reality. Imagine it was Messi that got a red card in the final with the same stats as Zidane and still got the golden ball?
Which glaring facts? Created most chances because he was the one appointed to take all the corners for the team. Is that not a joke?

Completed the most dribbles? What about James Rodriguez who scored the most goals?

Messi the attacking players that got the most tackles. What about Oscar who made 30 tackles compared to Messi.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player-comparison.html#h312868a229397
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
scribe2000:

So in your mind, the only stats that count are goals scored and assists. Why then did Zidane and Forlan win the golden balls in those world cups, since they were not the best on those terms. The best in the tournament is judged by all those criteria you are trying to rubbish. Come off it bro. Allow the little genius space to rest. He did not create himself.
Compare what Oscar did in 5 games to what Messi did in seven games.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player-comparison.html#h269058a229397

Please, Forlan was amazing in the last World Cup. He scored two amazing screamers. He was the joint highest goal scorer of the world cup. Messi was not the highest goal scorer. So if anyone told you goals/assists was not used in Elfland's golden ball, the person is a bloody liar.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
scribe2000:

Zidane had one of the best performances in world cup history. Please, you can never compared this Messi's performance in this World Cup to that of Forlan and Zidane. Never.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by KingTom(m): 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
khiaa:

I miss you.
I miss you too cheesy
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by khiaa(f): 9:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
KingTom:
I miss you too cheesy

Aaaah, smooches. You wear the crown now. cheesy
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by princemi(m): 12:50am On Jul 18, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Okay, I missed your context. You said Uruguay were not a real test for James Rodriguez. I get your point now. Sorry, you were coherent. Back to the topic. Uruguay made it into the second round ahead of Italy and England.

You say a team that finished ahead of Italy and England were not a real test?

Mess I found it difficult against Switzerland.
thegoodjoehunt: [b]Okay, I missed your context. You said Uruguay were not a real test for James Rodriguez. I get your point now. Sorry, you were coherent. Back to the topic. Uruguay made it into the second round ahead of Italy and England.

[/b]
thegoodjoehunt: Okay, I missed your context. You said Uruguay were not a real test for James Rodriguez. I get your point now. Sorry, you were coherent. Back to the topic. Uruguay made it into the second round ahead of Italy and England.

do me a Favour..... kindly shut up n stop typing dis blue rubbish...if ur nt comfortable wit FIFA'S decision, go 2 Argentina collect d award n give 2 Yobo...i keep wondering if ur dat jobless 2 argue with different people on 3 pages am quite sure dat u neva watched james Rodriguez play, u probably don't even know wat he looks like & u happen 2 watch only Argentina vs Switzerland then run 2 NL argue nonsense. ABEG ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD[url]

thegoodjoehunt: [b]Okay, I missed your context. You said Uruguay were not a real test for James Rodriguez. I get your point now. Sorry, you were coherent. Back to the topic. Uruguay made it into the second round ahead of Italy and England.

[/b]

do me a Favour..... kindly shut up n stop typing dis blue rubbish...if ur nt comfortable wit FIFA'S decision, go 2 Argentina collect d award n give 2 Yobo...i keep wondering if ur dat jobless 2 argue with different people on 3 pages am quite sure dat u neva watched james Rodriguez play, u probably don't even know wat he looks like & u happen 2 watch only Argentina vs Switzerland then run 2 NL argue nonsense. ABEG ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD[/url]

[/b]

do me a Favour..... kindly shut up n stop typing dis blue rubbish...if ur nt comfortable wit FIFA'S decision, go 2 Argentina collect d award n give 2 Yobo...i keep wondering if ur dat jobless 2 argue with different people on 3 pages am quite sure dat u neva watched james Rodriguez play, u probably don't even know wat he looks like & u happen 2 watch only Argentina vs Switzerland then run 2 NL argue nonsense. ABEG ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:08pm On Jul 18, 2014
princemi:
do me a Favour..... kindly shut up n stop typing dis blue rubbish...if ur nt comfortable wit FIFA'S decision, go 2 Argentina collect d award n give 2 Yobo...i keep wondering if ur dat jobless 2 argue with different people on 3 pages am quite sure dat u neva watched james Rodriguez play, u probably don't even know wat he looks like & u happen 2 watch only Argentina vs Switzerland then run 2 NL argue nonsense. ABEG ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD

You can see that apart from saying I am talking nonsense and I do not know what James Rodriguez looks like, you have no point to add. That is why you use harsh statements.

By the way, I am a big Villas Boas fan. I watched James Rodriguez play for him in the 2010-2011 Europa League. This is 2014, so do not think I am just talking. I watched him at the 2011 World Youth Championship the Colombians hosted. Oscar of Chelsea played in it. Neymar and Lucas Hours played in the Qualifiers of that U20. Eric Lamella played for Argentina.

So please when you have a point, drop it.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by princemi(m): 10:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: [/b]

You can see that apart from saying I am talking nonsense and I do not know what James Rodriguez looks like, you have no point to add. That is why you use harsh statements.

By the way, I am a big Villas Boas fan. I watched James Rodriguez play for him in the 2010-2011 Europa League. This is 2014, so do not think I am just talking. I watched him at the 2011 World Youth Championship the Colombians hosted. Oscar of Chelsea played in it.

So please when you have a point, drop it.

congrats buddy, good 2 know u actually knew wat u wer saying. Sorry abt d harsh words but i'll still appreciate it if u stop argueing a dead case cos d deed has already been done!

2 Likes

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by jomoh: 5:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
vislabraye: . And you think Mascherano's contribution wasn't outstanding ? I would rate De Maria and Mascherano above Messi.

There's a difference between work rate and outstanding contribution. Suarez only played two games for Uruguay and they won the games he played. Meaning they only have him to thank for their qualification in d first place cos without his goals, uruguay wouldn't have qualified from the group stage. Same goes for Messi.

Take out messi and his goals from the team and argentina would've been home since group stage. That is how important messi was for the team.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

John Obi Mikel Changes His Name After Nigeria Mistake 13 Years Ago / Jay Jay Okocha’s Son With AY And Nwankwo In Turkey / Barcelona Takes Down Poster Of Neymar For Betraying The Spanish Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.