Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) (6422 Views)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Lonely Days- A Review / Tears Of A Broken Heart-a Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 17, 2014
**pulls him through the window** come look from inside. grin thanks for dropping by sha

JeffreyJamez: *Peeping from the window*

Interesting, veery interesting...

Make I dey look first.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
soulminister: the beginning of this story sounds like a part of the story am following on naijastories.com that is titled, "beautiful colours of sin"..........good so far.
but boss iv gotten to Episode 21 or so there...
Thaz gud i wl have to start here
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
shoefreak: **pulls him through the window** come look from inside. grin thanks for dropping by sha

Lol you Don tear my shirt, you go buy me new one o lol

Nice story, you just got yourself a new fan,but it's kind of confusing tho, the story.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by soulminister(m): 12:46am On Jul 18, 2014
Divepen:

good luck with that but just be ready for swollen eyes because, you will read tirelessly.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2014
soulminister:

good luck with that but just be ready for swollen eyes because, you will read tirelessly.
oin!!!
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
It's sequel. Follow @tai on naijastories.com or my blog missfanciful. for the first part

JeffreyJamez:

Lol you Don tear my shirt, you go buy me new one o lol

Nice story, you just got yourself a new fan,but it's kind of confusing tho, the story.

Divepen:
that is the first part. You need to read that prt through ooo. Or u go get lost. This can be. Bit clearer to those tht haven't red d first part.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 7:19pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=shoefreak]It's sequel. Follow @tai on naijastories.com or my blog missfanciful. for the first part

that is the first part. You need to read that prt through ooo. Or

You are Tai? Did you just comment on Missing Christabel by Tus? That is my writeup... nice grin
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2014
Yay! That's me! Nice story, i'm so following. grin grin @PrettySpicey we rock don't we? grin
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 9:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
shoefreak: Yay! That's me! Nice story, i'm so following. grin grin @PrettySpicey we rock don't we? grin

Lol, I think we do. Keep the good job going

3 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2014
Ppl of naijastory I hail

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 19, 2014
^^ we hail u back. grin
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Bettybold(f): 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
PrettySpicey: Tonia face ya life and leave Sam o... that boy has a hidden agenda o
......... Tanks for d advice prettyspicey ; my relationship is exactly as dt of Tonia nd Shoefreak tanx for writing dis story !!
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 21, 2014
How so? Pray tell!
Bettybold: ......... Tanks for d advice prettyspicey ; my relationship is exactly as dt of Tonia nd Shoefreak tanx for writing dis story !!
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
Chapter Eight

Brenda looked away when she was Sean coming towards her and the taxi-driver. The driver was still asking for his money. He was beginning to be nasty towards Brenda. She had not expected it of him. He seemed nice when she took his cab. They had agreed on a different fare and Brenda was angry and frustrated when he asked for something higher than what they had agreed on just because he took her into the campus and not at the gate.

Her eyes were on fire and her voice was shaking. It was obvious that the effort of being angry was putting a strain on her. She didn't want to get angry but it was tough. The driver saw through the countenance and seemed ready for a show down. Brenda was also conscious of the approaching guy. She wished he would walk away instead of walk towards them.

If she had the money, she would have given it to the man but she didn’t and that was what was frustrating her. The approaching guy stepped in just in time even though Brenda didn’t want him to interfere but she was grateful all the same.

The guy happened to be Sean. He had persuaded the guy to reduce the price and he paid. Brenda smiled shyly and turned to look at Sean.

“Jesus, that was stressful,” Brenda said. “Thank you. I am Brenda.”

“Hello. I am Sean Oluwole Bryn.”

“Oh, you are Nigerian. How interesting,” she replied.

“Why is my being a Nigerian interesting to you?” Sean asked as they walked towards the cafeteria.

Brenda shrugged and said she loved Abuja because she had spent a few years with her brother there then she walked faster. Sean called at her a few times but she didn’t look back.

“Sean!” Derek called.

For a moment Sean looked away from Brenda and waved at Derek, but by the time he looked back Brenda had gone farther away from him. He couldn’t bring himself to yell or run after her.

“You just bleeped up,” Sean complained as Derek came to where he was standing. Derek looked questioningly at him then at Brenda’s retreating back.

“Oh, I am so sorry. How did it go with the girl I asked you to call?” Derek asked and pulled Sean to face him.

“I dropped the call when she was acting up. Can we talk about this later?” Sean said still staring at Brenda’s retreating back. Derek really followed his stare then.

“Who is she? Is that not that nerdy science girl?” Derek asked.

“I think she is my reason for waking up in a good mood,” Sean replied, smiling from ear to ear.

“Are you for real? The reason was the call you made. I have been hooking you up with cute girls and you opt to go for this nerd. You are a disappointment,” Derek replied with disapproval. Sean shook his head and walked away from Derek.

The lady he had called later that morning had rubbed off on him the wrong way and he didn’t want to talk about her. The best way to avoid the conversation was to walk away from Derek at that moment and he did. He looked when he was sure he had walked far enough. Derek was already chatting up a skinny white girl, Sean smiled.

Sean didn’t see Brenda again until almost two weeks after the incident when he saw her with her friends studying for the semester exams. Sean had suddenly developed cold feet but for the sudden call of his name which brought Brenda to look up, he would have walked away.

Sean waved when he was through with the person that called him. Brenda nodded before turning back to look at her friends. Sean was not sure of his next move. He was still thinking of what to do when Brenda looked up again and waved him over. The other ladies said something and giggled. They got up to leave as Sean came nearer. They said hello and goodbye as he sat down beside Brenda.

“I thought it was someone else,” Brenda said as she packed her books. “I had to look the second time to make sure and it seem as if you were about to run away.”

“Was I that obvious?” Sean asked still unsure of how to handle the conversation.

“You are Sean right? We have a class together once in a while. That’d be chemistry 104 class,” Brenda said again and crossed her legs.

“Yes but I have never seen you before the cab incident.”

“Well, I have. I have seen you several times in fact. I was there when you argued with Professor Duncan on…”

“Oh God! That was an ugly incident. I must have made a bad impression on you then,” Sean replied with awe.

“No, of course not. I almost stood up myself so you saved me the cause to do so. The man obviously was confused and needed to be put straight,” Brenda commented.
They started talking about chemistry and their professors and what life in Abuja was like for her and how she would love to live there one day.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2014
shoefreak I've been looking for this update for days on end and now I find it and its just too short jor... put more portion on our plates na, lol

Welldone, girl.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 24, 2014
Prettyspicey: I'm working on it jor. This is even faster updated than on naijastories. Okay. Here goes: grin
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 24, 2014
Chapter Nine:

It’d been weeks Julia met her mysterious Marvelous and they had tried to maintain communication. She had tried talking to her first caller who seemed to have had a bad impression of her. She thought she had to do some damage control but he didn’t seem interested. It was like his mind was made up that Julia was not someone he could touch with a ten inch pole.

Julia hated being giving a cold shoulder when she was trying to be nice so she just deleted his number and told him to shove something up a part of his body.

Julia closed her eyes and leaned her forehead against one of the wooden bookshelves that flanked the desk she’d set up at one side of her room. She stood up, flexed her tight shoulder muscles and wondered why the irritating feeling she had been having since Marvelous called refused to subside.

It was a strong feeling that seemed not ready to leave and this development was a serious discomfort to her. Tonia had told them of her escapades with Kunle but she felt the lady had exaggerated and it was now happening to her.

“This just can’t go on,” Lola had said earlier that afternoon.

She had removed her black trimmed glasses and pinched the tip of her nose, a habit she had whenever she had something serious to say.

"Oh please!" Julia replied.

“First it was Tonia and now you. You girls are taking this too seriously.”

“Miss Goggles, please don’t start with that lecture again,” Julia had said, haven decided to visit Lola after a very uneventful and boring morning.

“Phone pals,” Lola had lectured, eyeing Julia from across her writing table, “Do not have any stupid feelings for each other.”

“Since when do you know that?” Julia had asked.

“I have known that since I started using my common sense. You are just supposed to have all communication through telephone. Not get mixed up with emotions. Abuja guys are the worst of them and I know he is an Abuja guy. They are trouble,” Lola had admonished.

Julia had lowered her eyes. She had thought of not telling any of them about Marvelous but she felt Lola would be different. She had thought that Lola would not judge her like Nike would.

Julia knew that in the few weeks that Tonia had had her phone pal, she had not been talking to her friends as she used to. They had started to complain about it and even her flat-mates had complained to Julia about it too. Hers was a little more discreet than Tonia’s and she had intended to keep it that way for a while. Tonia on the other hand told anyone that cared to listen that she was in love with her guy.

“You said you people now make it a habit to call each other every night just to know how the other person is doing. That is cute….” Lola had begun to say.

“Yes, we even…,” Julia had interrupted.

“But it shouldn’t get out of hand,” Lola concluded.

“I don’t know why I’m wasting so much time trying to convince you that this may lead to….”

“This may lead to where? Coming from you I will take it as a joke. It started just like this with that Tonia too but hers is understandable but yours. I am not so sure what to make of it,” Lola had queried.

“Don’t even compare me with Tonia. I am quite different from her and Marvelous is not like that Kunle of hers. He is a…,” Julia had begin to say.

“Oh!! Please let’s just talk about something else,” Lola had said moving to her fridge to offer Julia something to drink.

Julia had shrugged and had continued reading her magazine.

It’s been hours since that conversation. Julia flopped down on her bed, and tried to ignore the yearning in her head. The sound of Maitama traffic, the opening and closing of doors told her that the other people living in the house were not really ready to get some sleep and the night poopers were just getting to it.

Without a doubt, Marvelous had occupied her mind. She knew what it was to dream of having a connection with another human being, but her head had never experienced this intense desire to be truly loved. This was terrible. It was horrible. She wanted more than just listening to his voice; she wanted to feel his touch, feel her hand touch his…

“Stop this, you stupid girl. It’ll make you so cheap. Get a hold of yourself. He is supposed to be the Mr. Right so make him beg for it,” she reprimanded herself.

Lying in the darkness, she squeezed the materials of her night dress around her body and tried to understand what was happening to her. Emotions she had never realized she was capable of having were coming alive inside her. In a curious way, it was a relief that her heart was capable of having some emotions for someone. It still felt strange, but it was very real. Could she really be in love with a student like her and a student in the same school as hers for that matter?

They had agreed to remain anonymous lovers for a while until further notice. It was a decision that made Julia glad as she wasn’t sure what to make of everything at that moment. She sat up in the middle of the bed, twisting her hair around her finger and starring at nothing, but remembering many things.

Would it be such a terrible thing if she held on to that miraculous contact a little longer and forget what Lola said? She couldn’t bear the thought of going through the rest of her life asking herself how nice or horrible it might have been if she had held on. She didn’t know whether she wanted to play her usual game or not. She didn’t know what was right or wrong for her to do to him. But for the first time in her adult life, she knew what she needed and had always yearned for. She had always yearned for the feeling of being wanted and Marvelous was ready to provide her with all the love she needed in a steady boyfriend.

He said he was not interested in her past whatever it was and that was okay by Julia. She gave a loud yawn. Things could happen, even pigs could fly. Take things as they come, she decided. She pulled in a shaky breath, and turned on her side, minutes later she was snoring still with the thoughts of Marvelous and why he hadn’t call for a while.

Tonia woke up with a start. It was seven o’clock in the morning and the music was barbaric. Dear God, please make it stop. Tonia thrashed around in bed, pulling her pillow over her head. There were time she wished she was from a rich family and this was one of those times. If she was, she could have gotten herself a self-service apartment, instead of having this noisy, rap conscious co-tenant.

This was just a horrible, terrible dream, Tonia thought. She imagined Julia in that kind of situation and how she would have given the noise-makers a thrashing of words but that was not Tonia. She had slept very late and wanted to stay in bed a little longer. She decided it would go away with time if she would just ignored it. She silently prayed that whoever it was had somewhere important to go or an early lecture to attend.

But it didn’t go away nor did the volume decrease, if anything, it seemed to grow louder. Tonia sat up in bed, grabbed her watch from the bedside table. Her watch read seven- thirty. Seven thirty in the morning and someone found that loud music entertaining. She hated the kind of music the person was playing. It was rap. She threw the covers off the bed and she got up, grabbed a wrapper from the wall-hanger. The person was going to hear a piece of her mind that morning, enough is enough.

Fisayo didn’t hear her come into the sitting room. He couldn’t have. The entire room was vibrating with metallic pandemonium. Fisayo’s big pioneer, twelve-loader compact disc player was blasting from the electronic cabinet. Fisayo was standing in front of the television with his feet doing wondrous things in tune with the loud music.

“Will you please turn that thing down,” Tonia shouted.

Fisayo turned around just that moment and smiled at Tonia. He turned down the volume of the music and bade Tonia a good morning. He continued to dance and made a move as if to increase the volume again.

“Oh no, do not do that,” Tonia said moving towards the CD player and she switched it off. Fisayo stared at her and demanded why she had to do that.

“What is it?”

“It’s seven-thirty in the morning and some of us had a late night and wish to stay longer in bed but the noise you are making is making it impossible. You wouldn't dare do that if Julia was visiting,” she complained.

“Well, I’m sorry about that but I also live in this house. I have a right to do whatever I want to do. Considerate as I am though I will reduce the volume but I will not switch if off,” Fisayo replied and switched the CD player on with the music considerably turned down.

“Thank you,” Tonia said. “Let’s dance,” he said and twirled.

“Who is going to dance with you? I’m going back to bed to resume my interrupted sleep,” Tonia replied. Fisayo looked at her and smiled. They all knew that something had been bothering Tonia for a while, but couldn’t place what it was and when they asked, she’d tactically dodge the question. She was closest to Fisayo among all the students that lived in the flat so he was worried.

He felt sorry for her because she actually used to be a very lively, fun-loving lady, full of life and happiness. Ever since she moved to the house, they’ve all developed a liking for her. The girl that used to occupy her room was a crazy girl who picked up fight with almost everybody in the house and even the whole compound. They eventually had to report her to the landlord who was a retired soldier.

It was after she had a fight with another lady and almost threw the poor girl into the well outside the house. She had felt no remorse after the incident, she even boasted that she would have done it if she had not been stopped.

The day the landlord ejected her out of the house was a dramatic day. She raged and raved at all the tenants and swore they’d have no peace in the house; she was rumored to be a female cultist. The landlord had chased her with a gun.

It was two weeks after this incident that the landlord brought Tonia to the flat as their new flat-mate and she moved into the house the third day. She was very shy and reserved. They ignored her and she ignored them. She rarely talked to anyone. It was just her usual normal greetings. She rarely had friends over and this left the other occupants wondering the kind of person she really was.

Fisayo stared at her retreating back now.

“Whatever it is that is bothering you. I just pray that you let it out soon. You’ve turned into a wet blanket if you haven’t noticed. I don’t like it one bit,” Fisayo shouted at Tonia’s retreating back. “I have things to tell you but I can’t.”

“What things? What have you been up to lately?” Tonia asked without stopping.

“When you are back to your senses I will tell you,” Fisayo replied.

Tonia turned to look at him then; she smiled and sauntered off to her room to resume her sleep. Fisayo sighed and sat down.

His new adventure had woken something inside him and he yearned to tell her. She was the only one that could understand but she had been acting strange. Fisayo knew he would have to wait for her to snap out of it before he could tell her. He picked up his phone and called his new found love.

She had told him her name was Julia. What a lovely name, it was just like Tonia’s friend. Fisayo had a big crush on that Julia but was not bold enough to tell her how he felt. He knew her various escapades but didn’t mind about them at all. He had even defended her honor many times when people gossip about her.

That Julia was the kind of person that anyone could call Margaret Thatcher and Fisayo dared being turned down by her. So he decided to keep his distance and do all the loving from afar. His big crush had refused to leave but it would have to now. There is this new Julia whom he had also fallen in love with. It was a perfect coincidence, one that he would hang on to for a long time.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2014
Chapter Ten:

Brenda couldn’t decide on what to wear. The day had started nice and easy. It was a well planned one but somewhere in the middle of selecting what to wear, she had panicked. She couldn’t find anything in her closet that was appropriate for a date. Her date seemed like one that would like the fancy clothes, Brenda was not into fancy waste-of-money designer labels. She thrashed around in her closet trying to choose something more appropriate. As she tried each outfit on, her mind wandered to when Sean had asked her out on a date.

“What did you just say?” Brenda had said as they sat together on the park bench trying to find out why a virus multiplied at a certain temperature. Sean had smiled. He had known that it would catch her unawares. He loved the expression on her face at that moment.

“I asked if you would like to go on a date with me. Was that a question that didn't have to be asked?” Sean asked as he stared at the blushing Brenda.

Brenda looked away but she nodded. It was not like she had never been on a date before but she had never been on a date with someone she actually had a crush on. It was unnerving but felt good.

“So, how about on Friday by seven,” Sean asked as he removed the textbook on Brenda’s lap and dropped it on his.

“That will be okay. Where are we going,” she asked. Sean smiled and said it was a surprise. Brenda nodded, she didn’t know what to make of the invitation but she was too blown away to say no. She didn’t want to ask why it had to be a big surprise. It would be lovely to be on a date with Sean. He was smooth, he was smart, he was handsome and had this thing about him that made Brenda’s heart stop. He was…

Brenda smiled and paused. The zipper on her jean had caught while her mind was far way and she had to rip it out. She finally settled on a ballerina gown with lace trimmings. She liked what she saw in the mirror. She knew Sean wouldn’t be able to resist her in that. She smiled to herself and picked up her phone.

It was still six-fifteen. She had to wait. She didn’t think she should be the one to call him, he should. So, she dropped the phone and went back to her mirror to examine if there were any touch-up necessary. When she was satisfied that her look was perfect, she went back to her bed and waited.
Derek stared after Sean as he threw clothes on the bed. He ignored him for a while but went back when in fifteen minutes; Sean was still not sure what to wear.

“Dude, will you just pick one already. It is not like she is hot date or anything,” Derek complained and picked up a magazine.

Sean looked at him and smiled. He was nervous. He didn’t want to create the wrong impression with Brenda. He didn’t want to dress up in a way that she would think he wanted to get laid. Neither did he want her to think of him as a dunce. He picked up a purple shirt with brown stripes and showed it to Derek. Derek nodded but said it didn’t matter anyway.

Sean shook his head and dressed up. He liked the shirt but it looked too sexy to him. He didn’t want to look sexy; he wanted to look smart and fun. He took it off and chose a brown shirt instead. This time, Derek gave him thumbs up.

“That is more likely to match her. She is such a dull nerd after all,” Derek said. Sean threw a shoe at him as he picked up a jean from a heap in his wardrobe.

“She is a beautiful girl, Derek. She is smart and she is…”

“Oh please stop before I puke. Are we looking at the same girl?” Derek asked and hissed. The alarm went of and Sean switched it off. It was quarter to seven. It was time to call his date.

“Hi. Are you ready?” Okay…I will be there in fifteen minutes….bye…”

Derek shook his head and called Sean stupid. Sean patted him on the back and tossed the house key into his lap.

“What am I supposed to do wit this?” Derek asked as he got up.

“You are driving us there,” Sean said. Derek shook his head and sat down.

“Are you sure you don’t want to do me this favor. I still have not talked to Cally on your behalf, you know.”

Derek opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it. He took the key and stood up reluctantly. They both went out of the apartment.
Brenda stood at the gate and wondered what Sean would think when he sees her. Would he be blown away? Would he just see a girl that was trying too hard? She was still in the process of making a decision whether to go up and change when she spotted Derek’s car. She walked up to it.

The look on Sean’s face was priceless. His mouth was open for five seconds before he closed it and Derek’s eyes went all over her like lightening.

“Wow!” it was Derek. Brenda smiled contentedly. Her mission was successful. Sean got out and opened the door for Brenda. Derek kept looking at the mirror to have another glimpse of Brenda. Brenda blushed and asked were they were going.

“Ehhmm…we…we are going to Lagos-city,” Sean replied. Lagos-city was a popular Nigerian restaurant around.

“That is lovely. I've always wanted to go there,” Brenda replied gaily.

“You look very…hot!” Derek said as he looked back. Sean punched him in the neck and he fowned.

“You are beautiful,” Sean whispered into Brenda’s ear. Brenda said thank you and leaned back. The night had started well for both of them. Brenda was glad that Derek would shut up about her being a nerdy scientist. Sean would have her in his memories for a while. It was a perfect win-win situation and she was mighty glad.

1 Like

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by PrettySpicey(f): 6:58pm On Jul 24, 2014
I see some twists and angles here... me likey

Ride on, shoefreak
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 25, 2014
^^thanks dear. Thanks for reading.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Queenxstar(f): 9:54am On Jul 28, 2014
I'm joining Prettyspicey to tell you ride on. Thumbs up dear, I now follow.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 29, 2014
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Queenxstar: I'm joining Prettyspicey to tell you ride on. Thumbs up dear, I now follow.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 29, 2014
CHAPTER ELEVEN

It was a very sunny day, Julia hoped she could get in and out of class before her clothe begin to stick to her due to sweat. She intended to go into town as soon as she finished the annoying lecture. Her attire for the day had not been made based on the weather but on the color/fabric of her scarf.

She had decided to dress in a cream colored chiffon blouse and a brown pant, which went nicely with her leopard print scarf. A row of narrow wooden bracelet clung lightly on her left wrist and a Gucci watch on the other. Her ears were adorned with wooden chandelier earrings too, and a Gucci sunshade to complete it. Her long hair was drawn straight back from her face and caught at the nape of her neck in classic knot that revealed her fine facial structure. Julia got to the lecture hall to see the others seated, with half the class staring as usual. She felt good about her clothes after all, as long as she didn't sweat too much.

Her friends were already seated at their corner and were chatting when Julia walked up to them.

“Here she comes,” Lola said as she tore a small piece of paper from a notepad in her hand.

“Hello sexies!” Julia greeted as she sat in the vacant seat next to Nike. She adjusted her blouse and crossed her legs. The others shook their heads and laughed.

“What’s happening? Is there something we should know?” Tonia asked as she sat on the table in front of Julia.

“There is nothing happening. Why?” Julia asked innocently.

Nike looked at Tonia and frowned before telling the ladies to mind their businesses. She then faced Tonia and said that the last thing she heard was that Tonia and her phone pal were having a serious consideration of a long term thing.

Julia stood up and sat beside Tonia on the table, then she said, “I am not at all surprised.”

Tonia frowned and wondered why they had to turn on her. She told them to stay out of her business too since they were staying out of Julia's.

“I don’t know why you worry yourself so much. What is wrong with wanting to try something new sef,” Tonia queried.

“Go girl. It’s an adventure,” Nike said, smiling at Julia who just made a face.

“You should both leave dreamland and face reality. This guy is just out for the kill,” Julia said and got up from the table, back to where she was seated. The breeze was better there, she concluded as opened the window further.

“That is quite true, but then Julia you are just jealous it wasn’t you that the Kunle guy called. I know you,” Lola said staring at Julia.

“Me? I am jealous of whom. You guys do not know anything,” Julia said and hissed.

“Well, na you sabi. You should all be careful,” Lola replied again.

“You girls should just stop this argument. Tonia girl, I’m wishing you the best of luck on your newest catch,” Nike said and hugged Tonia.

“Yeah, I am too. I hope it turns out well now that he is in Nigeria,” Lola said and turned her back at Julia who was giving a stony stare.

“he is?"

"Duh!"

"Whatever!!” Julia said and frowned, “Sit down dey look.”

“Julia, Julia,” Tonia said and moved to Julia’s side to hug her, “My one and only Julia. You are the only Miss Hot legs on campus. What have you been up to now? Me, I want to know.”

Julia looked at Lola and winked. She made as if to talk but changed her mind. They would have to wait until the time was right. Nike shook her head and Julia burst into laughter.
The lecturer came in later and they all kept quiet to the drone of her boring voice.

Kunle walked into the brightly lit restaurant behind Tomilola and took in the surrounding with a sense of resignation. Smart waitresses in starched uniforms that were also a size too small scurried between tables.

Kunle was going to tell her it was over between them. They had been in and out of their relationship for four years, he decided it had to stop. He was tired of pretending that he still loved her when he had actually stopped over a year ago. He knew it was going to hurt and she would raise hell but it had to be done any how.

“There you go,” Tomilola said cheerfully, “This is the best place in town to hold secret and impromptu meetings. Everyone that's everyone eat here on Saturday nights.”

“This is Friday night.”

“Which explains why we didn’t have to wait for a table,” Tomilola concluded smoothly with a smile.

“Oh I see,” Kunle replied.

“I recommend the chicken or the fried fish,” Tomilola said and continued smiling.

“I’ll bear it in mind,” Kunle said as he gazed idly around the room again before bringing his attention back to the woman sitting across from him. He frowned.

He used to love her very much. She was very quiet, calm and pretty with a good voice. Not as angelic as Tonia’s voice though, he smiled. The little time he had spent talking to the lady from the website brought happy memories and he was always filled with excitement when he talked to Tonia. Tonia... he smiled.

“A kobo for your thoughts” Tomilola said and jolted him back to the moment and he frowned. Even her words irritated him, yes, it had to be done.

“I am sorry. Did you say something?” Kunle asked.

“What’s the matter?” Tomilola purred as she examined her menu, “Not accustomed to dining with a classy lady in this kind of restaurant?”

Classy indeed, Kunle thought. Truth, she was on every billboard and tabloid. If she wasn't signing record deals, even though Kunle found her voice a bit sketchy, she was in the blogs kissing a different man. She told him that it was publicity stunts.

“Believe me. I have eaten in better and worse places. Tomi, what made you decide to venture into this world of lies and cheap fame,” Kunle said finally. "I left you with simple modeling gigs."

“Well, I was a good model as you know. I just decided that I could do better in acting. I haven’t been around those times we lost contact because I was either in London or Paris. I met a lot of …,” Tomilola was saying.

“I asked a simple question, Temilade,” Kunle said and looked away to focus on some children throwing things at each other and giggling.

“Jesus, I hate kids. They are so messy. Well, Kunle I am a Nollywood star now. We just have to act the part,” Tomilola said.

“Okay. I figure we might as well just get it over with. The anxiety is killing me,” Kunle said and frowned.

“What? Get what over with?” Tomilola asked.

“You knew what was coming. So, I want to know whatever approach you plan to use to convince me to continue acting as your fiancée in your social gathering when you don’t have a date to take there,” Kunle said, “But I am tired of it all.”

Tomilola opened her mouth to talk but ended up gaping at Kunle.
"No more!" Kunle insisted. She asked Kunle why he said such a thing.

“You know what? Let’s just cut the chase. I can’t continue like this. I think it’s better if we just stay away form each other,” Kunle said with finality.

“What are you saying?” Tomilola said between her teeth, “Is this why you called me out of a luncheon at the governor’s house.”

“Yes it is. And I won't keep you longer than necessary too,” Kunle replied, “I’m finally here and I want to have my peace and settle down.”

“Are you ending our relationship just like that? Is there someone else?” Tomilola asked frowning at Kunle who just kept quiet, “What is wrong? We have been together for four years.”

“No! Two wonderful years and two miserable, senseless years, with half spent in it by myself,” Kunle countered, “It’s time to move on and please don’t act like you don’t want this.”

With an effort, Tomilola pushed her pretense aside and concentrated on Kunle. She then relaxed on her seat and crossed her legs.

“To be perfectly truthful,” Tomilola said swirling the wine in her glass, “I was just tolerating all your gibberish. You are not in the least classy in spite of your wealth and everything.”

“Thank you. That I know,” Kunle answered, “Having simple taste does not imply a lack of class.”

“You’re too plain and I never liked it and you are stingy too," Tomilola countered.

“Is that so?” Kunle asked sarcastically. Tomilola tilted her chin aggressively.

“I'd like to leave now and take it we never had this conversation. You don’t get to break up with me. I do,” she said.

Kunle eyes were alight again with the fact that all actually would end well. Tomilola smiled abruptly but her gaze went to the door and the gleam went out of her eyes instantly.

“Jesus Christ!” she said softly and lowered her head.

Curious, Kunle glanced over his shoulder, wondering if he was about to encounter a jealous boyfriend of hers or an irate fan. What he saw was a lanky man in a well cut suit, he had seen him before in one of her supposed publicity stunts. He must have been around thirty or forty but he was on dreads. His face was singularly lacking in character, showing signs of pride and arrogance. His huge eyes took in the crowd in one glance and finally settled on Tomilola. He started down the set of tables.

“Is that your new boyfriend?” Kunle asked, turning back at Tomilola who was scowling.

“It’s none of your business. You can leave now,” Tomilola replied her fingers clenched around the edge of the table. Kunle wasn’t sure what to do. Get up and walk away because he wouldn’t want to be embarrassed but then, he didn’t want to miss the show.

“I sense trouble Miss Classy,” he said.
Temilade’s gaze met his. Her eyes scared.

“Shut up and leave now,” Tomilola warned.

“Not yet. I’m hungry. This would prove to be an interesting scene coming from a classy lady,” Kunle said as she saw the look on her face.

He glanced at the waitress as she came hurrying to their table with the tray of food. The waitress got to the table at the same time the man did. He seized a plate that was placed in front of Tomilola who screamed. Tomilola did not move. She simply stared at the man with scared eyes. The man didn’t know whether to throw the food or not so he just stood rigid with it stiffly held in his trembling hand.

“You lying, scheming idiot,” There was an ugly line on his face as he talked between his teeth. He had an Irish-like accent, “You lied to me. You left me sitting there to come and meet your boyfriend. I thought you were through with him. You lying LovePeddler!!”

Tomilola was shaking as she slowly got to her feet. Kunle saw the trembling in her fingers. He actually felt pity for her and this made him angry. He was startled by the fierce instinct that was suddenly surging through him. The man no right to scare her like that and cause a scene. He turned to interfere.

“I’m sorry darling,” Tomilola spoke with a calm gentleness that surprised Kunle.

“You are not sorry. You did it on purpose. And you, stay away from her,” the man said. His voice had also gone down and shaky. He dropped the plate and strode away. Tomilola stepped away from the table and made after the man.

Kunle watched in amazement and wondered what happened to all the class, the boldness he knew with Tomilola. He sighted a few people with their phones directed at the retreating couple. For a few seconds Kunle simply sat there, deep in thought. He dipped his fork into his food and ate with relish after telling the waitress he would pay for the two orders.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, he thought.
He was free. If he chose to accept Tonia, he could do so without any conscience of cheating on Tomilola. He had been a good fiancé for four miserable years waiting for things to get better ever since Temilade took her singing and acting career.

Best of all, he had found Tonia quite interesting to chat with both on phone and on the internet. She proved very unassuming, witty, intelligent and serious. The only drawback was Tomilola and that was over. That alone gladdens him more than anything.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 29, 2014
CHAPTER TWELVE

Maitama district of Abuja had a certain thing about it; Julia often thought if she would ever have come there. It was a moderately populated district with business enterprises here and there. The down town shopping district consisted of banks, a couple of petrol stations, fast-food places and a variety of small/big shops/complexes.

Most of the complexes looked vaguely depressed and with good reason. The new shopping malls springing every day in the uptown had siphoned off the majority of the down town businesses with their gigantic malls and plazas. The shops in the complexes however tried to maintain their old customers through improved services and other conveniences.

That particular day was clear, cloudless and free of dust. Julia and friends went into town for networking as she would call it but her friends called it shopping. Unfortunately, Nike had traveled and Lola had gone to visit her boyfriend for the weekend somewhere in the outskirt of the town. Tonia had promised to meet her there later that day because she had an errand.

Julia had taken a taxi to Frienndx’s Beauty Parlor/spa. So there she was, sitting in a chair, a cup of tea in her hand. Outside in the hot sun, a few people hurried from their cars to the nearest air conditioned business establishment to avoid the scorching sun.

“How is the drink?” Ope asked and smiled. Julia wiggled her nose.

“As cold as ever I want to believe. You should stock canned juice instead of this foul tasting iced-tea thingy,” Tonia queried as she came inside the salon. “Hi everyone!”

“Hello. I like this tea and I like the people that sell it to me,” Ope replied and signaled to the girl that was in charge of serving tea to customers. She instructed her to bring more tea for Julia, who declined.

“So, is it really happening? Julia told me your new found hobby,” Ope queried. Tonia smiled and shook her head. Julia and her big mouth, she thought.

“Julia is a slowpoke. It’s just typical of her to make a mountain out of a mole hill,” Tonia replied.

Ope looked at Tonia and smiled. She told her that there was a new sparkle in Tonia’s eyes that wasn’t there before. She said she noticed same in Julia too.

“Don’t even start. What sparkle? I can’t talk for that one but me, there is no sparkle anywhere,” Tonia interjected trying to conceal her satisfaction with the remark.

Ope was someone that knew all the secret methods of seducing a guy without having to say a word. She was a very pretty woman, a secondary school dropout according to what Tonia and the others heard, but dedicated and this made her good at what she did. A two year old son was all that was left of a marriage and yes, she was qualified to give Tonia some advice if she needed it.

So Tonia decided to tell Ope about Kunle but she didn’t want to do it with Julia there. Julia shook her head and went to the other part of the salon where the sunshades were displayed.

“I have to be frank with you, Aunty Ope,” Tonia began, Ope regarded her soberly.

“Yes, I think you should,” she said finally, “I know you have seen hell with Sam. It takes a while to recover but you have to make haste slowly.”

“Yes I know. But it’s hard. He is always in my head and on my mind. I’ve not seen him and I feel this emotion in me and it’s confusing,” Tonia said looking at Ope with sober eyes as she glanced to where Julia was still busy with the sunshades.

“It would be confusing. I’ve been there. All you have to do is to reason with your head in spite of what your heart is telling you,” Ope advised.

“You think so?” Tonia asked. "My head and heart are in sync most of the time if I must say."

Ope told her that she had to finally put Sam out of her mind and go ahead with life, but she said it should not be with that alarming speed. Tonia shrugged; she did not want to explain to Ope that Sam had been a closed part of her life for a long time. “I’ll do as you advise.”

“Good. Let’s start with your pedicure. I will do it myself,” Ope said beaming. She motioned for the girl in charge to bring the instruments over.

“Julia you can come over. We are done talking,” Tonia called. Julia eyed her and hissed but she kept trying on the sunshades.

“You should get your own set, Tonia. It’s not advisable to use the common one. We sterilize it well but then…,” Ope advised.

“If it isn’t the newest lover in town,” Lola said as she wadded into the shop.

“Lola baby,” Ope greeted as she placed Tonia’s foot on the small table.

“Tonia, how are you?” Lola asked as she sat next to Ope.

“I am fine. How are you and how is Shile?” Tonia asked as she made a face at Ope who just smiled on. Lola wrinkled her nose and looked over at Julia.

“I will not answer that question so let it pass,” Lola replied.

Tonia shrugged, “You will let it pass because you know I was going to retaliate. I know your weakness.”

Lola hissed and told her to shut up and not talk about Shile like that, not in front of Julia anyway.

“See. I told you that’s her weak point,” Tonia said smiling as she hit Lola with the magazine in her hand.

Learning that Tonia did in fact knew her strong feelings of affection for Shile made Lola unsettled. Trouble was that Shile was Nike’s cousin and they were not supposed to date families. And to worsen it, Julia liked him too. Lola felt confused and irritate, she never really told them who her boyfriend was. It was supposed to be a secret until it was time to tell.

Tonia shook her head. “You think I don’t know who you are dating. You are not supposed to...”

“Please just drop the issue. I don’t want the others to know about it especially Julia because she has something for Shile. He loves me and I love him too,” Lola replied. She glanced over to where Julia was still busy with the sunshades. Julia finally decided on one.

Tonia reasoned that Lola’s relationship with Shile had never been the teasing, razzing, wrestling kind of thing she’d had with Sam. She was happy for Lola, envious actually, bleep the rules.

“Well if you want my opinion,” Tonia said sitting upright, “You go for it, girl. I wish you well. We all know Julia is a slowpoke and I believe Shile loves you. So there are no problems. Lips are sealed until told to open.”

“What are you guys whispering about? Anyway does this look good on me? I just bought a outfit and I need a sunshade to go with it,” Julia said as she adjusted the sunshade.

“I think you should go and try everything on first,” Lola said. Julia took her bag and went towards Ope’s private office.

Tonia’s mind was far from the room. It was one thing to be tough while you were just having an emotional problem, just don’t let it show, Tonia thought. She wished she was Lola and that it was Kunle.

Tonia watched Lola as she headed for their usual hairstylist, then she nudged Ope and begged her not to tell Julia anything about Shile and Lola. Ope promised not to say a word. Tonia nodded and continued reading the magazine. Julia came out and everyone gaped at her. She looked very beautiful in the dress and the shade complimented the outfit well. She did a bit of catwalk before going back into the office to change. She smiled to herself, she was radiant as ever.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 29, 2014
CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Kunle couldn’t stop thinking about Tonia. Tonia Fasakin, something about her intrigued him as nothing had in a while. May be it was Temilade’s turn off, or maybe it was the fact that hearing her voice made his stomach lurch. Her voice had something in it like a captured dove wanting to be let loose to soar and explore. He had also sensed hints of weariness in her voice and a heavy heart. She had guts though, she was blunt and that was something Kunle greatly admired.

He also had this thing for damsels in distress which had also attracted her to Tomilola at the beginning of their relationship. As for Tonia, he kept thinking that there had to be something he could do to help lighten the load in her heart. It was probably a nasty break up, Kunle thought.

He picked up his phone and dialed her number and waited patiently for her to pick up, but she didn’t. Kunle felt his stomach tumble. Could it be she was with her boyfriend and wouldn’t want to be disturbed? He felt a pang of jealousy in him and annoyance crept in. He stood up and made for the door. His phone started to ring and he retraced his step to the phone he had left on the table. It was Tonia. He felt the urge to pick the call but decided not to. He didn’t want to get weak all of a sudden and make her feel like she could reject or pick his calls at will.

The phone stopped ringing. He redialed her number. It was a mistake, he knew he had made it the minute he heard her voice. The small tingling of affection he’d felt the other day hit him like live electric current.

“Ehmm…hi Tonia,” he managed to say with a coarse sandy voice that suddenly felt dry.

“Hi. I’m at the salon. I saw your phone number on my list of missed calls. Why didn’t you pick up?” Tonia said at the other end, “Hello. Are you there?”

Kunle sighed. He was getting a funny feeling. It was so strange really.

“I’m here. I was in the bathroom,” he lied.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Tonia apologized, “I am sorry for disturbing you.”

Kunle gave a small shudder. “It’s all right. I’m through anyway and I’m planning to go out.”

“Okay, I’ll call you later then.” Tonia replied.

“Thanks. Have a great day darling. Bye,” Kunle said and hung up. Darling, he shook his head and smiled thinly. It had come out so smoothly, so truly. “I can’t,” he admitted to himself, “This girl is driving me nuts.”

His doorbell rang and he went to the door and called out to ask whom it was.

“The last time I checked, my name was supposed to be Simon,” the person said.

“Hold on big guy,” Kunle replied and unbolted the door. Kunle warned himself not to put too much anxiety on his face because nothing ever went unnoticed to Simon and he could be pestering. But as much as he tried to maintain a straight face and a straight conversation, Tonia crept into the topic and his face just naturally lit up.

“I knew it!” Simon shouted.

“What? What did you know?” Kunle asked trying to compose himself.

“Don’t do that. I know your fight with Tomilola had a string attached,” he replied. Kunle was surprised.

“What nonsense! You know Tomilola was a waste of time” Kunle countered, “And my hard earned money too.”

“Kunle, Kunle come on,” Simon said.

“Yes she only saw me when she wanted to despite my being here. She dropped and picked me as she pleased. I got tired of it all. I just had to let her go,” Kunle explained further.

But Simon wasn’t ready to listen. He began to pace up and down; he liked Tomilola very much and had been trying so much for both Kunle and Tomilola to stick together.
He eventually stopped pacing and glanced at Kunle from his seat, with a frown, “You don’t really know this girl Kunle.”

“Yes. I guess you can say that, but what I feel is…”

“It’s nothing but lust. Imaginative lust bro,” Simon said.

It wasn’t often Kunle got the satisfaction of being angry. Simon was getting on his nerves. It took all his self control not to burst into anger. He moved to the bar and poured wine into two glasses.

“You started like this with Simisola too…I know you like Tomilola. But that was Tomilola of then this new one is a changed person,” Kunle tried to explain as he handed Simon a wine glass, “This one is a society freak.”

Simon looked at him with contempt. Kunle was clearly irritated by the look.

“For heaven’s sake Simon. Think with your head not your heart. Just because she used to be nice and calm doesn’t mean she is still good. She has changed.”

“Oh yeah?!” Simon regarded his friend with a leveled look. Kunle grimaced angrily and went back to sit at the bar.

“Whatever you think, Tomilola is history now and I’m happy and moving on.” Kunle said with finality.

“Good for you,” Simon said with sarcasm. They looked at each other and turned their backs.

“I thought you wanted to tell me about the restaurant scene with Tomilola anyway,” Simon asked still with his back turned.

“I have lost interest in tale telling,” Kunle replied.

“Look man. I just want the best for you. I know Tomilola has problems,” Simon said as he turned to face Kunle.

“No, she is the problem,” Kunle chipped in.

“I agree with you but don’t you think this romance with that faceless Tonia girl is not the best thing right now. You need time to put yourself together. For all I know she may be one of these internet fraudsters.”

“I know your fear. I just love talking to her. I didn’t tell you anything else, did I?” Kunle asked.

“No,” Simon replied politely, “You didn’t actually.”

“That is exactly my point. Trust me and in spite of this funny feeling I have, I know what I am doing. Thanks for your concern. I will sort it out,” Kunle said. Simon looked at him and smiled.

“Now, can you give me the restaurant gist?” Simon said.

“It was hilarious,” Kunle began, “There we were....?”

Tonia watched from the corner of her eyes. She’d seen Julia eavesdropping, but it still amazed her how she could restrict herself from asking who it was, knowing her for whom she was. She was also acting like she was not interested with anything that was going on.

“I know you ladies are aching to know who that was, busy bodies that you both are,” Tonia said, eyeing Lola and Julia. Julia hissed and continued combing her hair in front of the mirror.

“I do not know about her but why would I want to meddle in your business?” Julia answered with a feigned honest look.

“Okay. Forget it then,” Tonia said and smiled.

“But now that you mentioned it, who was it?” Julia asked.

“Nobody you know,” Tonia replied and stood up, “Aunty Ope, I’ll see you next week. I think my hairstyle is still okay.”

“Don’t leave without giving me an answer. It was Kunle again right? Don’t leave without me,” Julia said and moved away from the mirror and sat down. Tonia walked up to her and dropped the magazine on her laps. Lola relaxed as Julia gapped after Tonia.

“Let it keep your company if you’ll miss me that much but bring it when you are through,” Tonia said and started to walk away. Julia flung the magazine at her retreating back and hissed. Ope just looked on as all these happened.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 29, 2014
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Sean was not in a good mood. His sister’s friend had called her about a misunderstanding between his sister and her supposed fiancé, Marvin Atolagbe. He was furious and Brenda had advised her to call his sister to confirm the story. He felt like strangling Marvin there and then and he told Brenda so.

“There must be a reason for it,” Brenda replied.

“What nonsense reason? He is a fool,” Sean said again with anger.

“I think you should call Aunt Alice and ask her.”

“Yes, I think I will do just that. What’s wrong with you too? You have been acting strange since you came back. Well, why didn’t my sister tell me about it when I called earlier,” Sean said as he dialed. Brenda stood up and went into the small bathroom. Sean felt that there was something bothering her and he decided to ask her after the call.

They had been dating for months now and it had been wonderful. She was everything he expected and more. To Brenda he was everything she didn't expect and less. They were good together, even Derek admitted to this.

“It is ringing! Come and listen,” Sean called out. Brenda came back out.
“Hello!”

“Big sis, how are you?” Sean began as Brenda sat down.

“I am doing okay. And how are you? Is there a problem?”

“You tell me. I want to believe that what I heard is not true,” Sean said.

“What you heard. What did you hear?”

“Please do not feign ignorance with me. I am your brother and I am not a kid,” he replied.

“I still don’t get you. Go straight to the point. I am busy you know.”

“Oh I am sorry. Are you in Abuja then?” Sean asked and looked at Brenda as she signaled for him to take it cool.

“Ehhmm…what is with you and this Abuja these days? Anyway, I am still in Lagos,” Alice asked.

Sean then asked what his sister was in doing in Lagos when she was supposed to be in Abuja and his sister told him that she was homesick.

“Are you sure it is just that?” he countered.

“Sean, it is as if the money I have been sending you is too much, right? Do you know how many minutes you have used on this baseless call?”

“Sister, when did my calling you become baseless? You spend more time when you call,” Sean replied. Alice had never spoken harshly to Sean and she apologized and told him that she was in a bad mood.

“You are in a bad mood? Is it about Uncle Marvin?” Sean asked.

“No. Why would I be in a bad mood because of Marvin?” Alice asked curtly.

“I heard everything sister. I know everything.” Sean replied.

Brenda told him to take it easy and listen to what she had to say. Sean shook his head; he was beyond that at that moment.

“What do you mean?” Alice asked again, still unsure of how much he had heard.

“Well. Aunty Sandra called me and told me everything,” he answered finally.

It was as if Sean could feel his sister slump back on the couch. She probably would be eyeing Sandra now with her popular stony stare. She started asking Sean other questions. Sean knew what the intention of the questions where. She wanted to know how much Sandra had told him.

“So Sandra told you something?” Alice asked.

“She told me everything,” Sean admonished.

“Well, everything is probably not true,” Alice said finally.

“It’s now obvious that what she said was true. Uncle Marvin had better moved from his house when I get back to Lagos,” he said angrily. Brenda’s eyes went round in surprise. She moved away from Sean and sat at a corner.

“Will you stop that nonsense,” Alice feigned anger.

“It won’t work sister. I’m on the next available flight to Nigeria and don’t try to talk me out of it,” he said and hung up.

Sean shook his head and swore. He had gotten very angry at that point. He said he would call Marvin when the time was right because he wanted to treat him like an irresponsible man.

“Hey. That is not right. Don’t call people names,” Brenda scolded and sighed.

“Okay. Why are you sighing? You are bored, right? Do you want us to go somewhere?” Sean asked as Brenda sat on the bed beside him.

“I do not want to go anywhere,” Brenda replied and looked away. Sean asked her why and she said she just wasn’t in the mood. Sean hugged her but Brenda got up and said she was leaving.

“What has gotten into you? Why are you acting like this?”

Brenda took her bag and made to leave. Sean grabbed her and she started to cry. Sean was taken aback by this. He least expected Brenda to cry and knew it must be something serious.

“I am sorry darling. Oh my God! Is it the report?” Sean asked as reality dawned on him. Brenda nodded and brought out a paper from her bag. Sean collected the paper and read. Brenda had HIV. Sean swore and punched the wall. Brenda cried harder.

“I warned you. I warned you, Brenda. How could you have been so careless like this? You know Stella and her ways, you still went ahead to do that stupid thing at her place. Why would you do this to me? Why would you give me this cross to bear?” Sean lamented and sat on the chair opposite Brenda.

“I am sorry. I am in trouble. I am doomed. What am I going to do? I just wanted a tattoo; I wanted your name to be written on…”

“Shut up! You had better keep quiet before I get really; really angry because that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.”

“How was I supposed to know that a tattoo could cause…”

“You are really getting on my nerves right now with all these stupid things coming out of your mouth. You are a science student for goodness sake. Wasn’t the object used very sharp? Moreover that tattoo of a thing is satanic and I told you not to do it. I am going for a walk,” Sean said finally and left the room leaving Brenda on her knees crying.

Sean walked for some minutes with his heart in turmoil. He knew he was not supposed to stay with Brenda any longer. Thank God they have not had sex. Sean saw Derek but he ignored him and continued walking. He was in love with Brenda and it was so strong that it would break him to leave the lady.

He couldn’t abandon her just because of that silly mistake she made. He felt that he should have slapped her for being childish but now the deed was done. Sean shook his head and sat down gently on a fallen tree trunk. He couldn’t leave Brenda; he didn’t want to leave her. He thought maybe he should take her to that church in Nigeria where people get healed of the virus. But first things first, Sean knew they needed counseling.

Being in love would not be enough to take them through the ordeal. He was crazy. He was not sure what to tell anyone. He stood up and headed back to his apartment. He decided not to tell anyone in his family until the time was right. He however told someone later, an unusual person actually. He had to tell Marvin when he called him later to ask about the ruckus about him being married. It turned out that there was more to that story. There was always something complicated in everyone’s life.

“Sister, can I call you later. I am busy with something now,” Sean disconnected and faced Vuyo. Sean stared at him for a while as if he didn’t know what to say. He felt the rage begin to gather inside him but he restrained himself.

It was one week after the result and he hadn't imagined the conversion would have taken this route.

“What is that supposed to mean?” he asked again.

“I do not know who Brenda is,” Vuyo said again and this time it was as if he dared Sean to say otherwise. Brenda caught her breath.

“What are you saying? This is your only sister we are talking about,” Sean insisted. Brenda pulled at him as he moved closer to Vuyo.

“I am sure that if I have a promiscuous HIV infected sister I would let you know but thank God I do not know anyone like that,” Vuyo said as he looked at Brenda with scorn.

“This is unbelievable. You are the one closest to her. You are like her best friend and you would do this to her. She was just…”

“Please keep quiet. I do not have time for this kind of nonsense conversation. I have a lot to do. I believe you can find your way out. Let her go to her parents,” Vuyo concluded and walked away.

Sean stared at him as he did so. Tears gathered in Brenda’s eyes, Sean felt bad. She had told him not to tell her family but he had thought they would understand.

“What is wrong with your brother?” Sean asked Brenda.

“Let us go. I knew he would be like this. I am not comfortable standing around. People are staring at me,” Brenda replied and held Sean’s hand. Sean looked around and caught the leering stare of people. It was obvious that they had been eavesdropping. Sean shook his head and went after Brenda who was already on her way out.

The doctor had advised them to involve her parents. Sean had summoned courage and had gone to her house only to be chased out like a dog. It had infuriated him but he didn’t react to it like he could have done. He felt sorry for Brenda. She had learned her lesson but should she be crucified for her mistake?

Sean vowed to talk to her dad again after their travel to Nigeria for Sandra’s wedding. He also prepared his mind with his sister. He knew the kind of person his sister was. She was known to ask a lot of questions so Sean decided to shield Brenda from it till they were ready to tell her. They got ready for the wedding and erased that issue out of their minds.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Julia waited anxiously for the café operator to set up the wifi. Her modem had been acting up and she didn't have the patience to wait on it. She had fallen for Marvelous and it felt strange but it felt true. She got tired of waiting so she decided that it was time to see her Romeo. He had promised to send his photo to Julia and the anxiety to see what he looked like was killing Julia as she waited for the operator.

The boy finally came through and Julia's PC came to life. Julia practically pushed him out of the way to sit comfortably. She went straight to her mailbox and what she saw was a surprise.

“Jesus! Oh Jesus!” Julia said and her shoulders sagged.

The smile was still as beautiful as she could remember. The little gap she ever faintly saw was there and the lean face was vaguely but familiarly radiant. Fisayo’s face lay boldly in front of her on the monitor. Julia could hardly contain herself. She had been talking to Fisayo, Tonia’s flat-mate and she didn’t know it. She had fallen in love with her Romeo and his turning to be Fisayo was too much for Julia. This is ridiculous she thought. She reprimanded herself for not noticing anything. Was it a set up? Just then her phone started to ring.

“Hello. This is the lovely Julia.”

“Hey dearie. Did you like the picture?”

“Is this some kind of game?”

“How do you mean? This is past being a game, Julia. I am in love with you and you know that.”

“That is exactly my point. Has this not gone too far?”

“What is wrong with you? Did I do something wrong?” Marvelous asked.

“Where are you now?”

“I am in the house. What of you? Are you on campus?”

“No I am not. Are you sure you do not know me?” Marvelous sounded genuinely shocked with the question. He asked if Julia found him familiar and if they were in the same class. It was too much for Julia so she decided to end it there and then.

“Are you alone in the house?” Julia asked still shaking her head.

“I am the only one at home at the moment.”

“Okay. Wait there. I will call you back.”

Julia took a bike to Tonia’s house. She pressed the bell and Fisayo answered the door. He frowned when he saw Julia as if he was expecting to see someone else. He then told Julia that Tonia was not around.

“What is this?” Julia asked looking intently at Fisayo. Fisayo asked what she meant. Julia shook her head and sat on the sofa. Fisayo went to her and asked what the problem was.

“Did Tonia say something to you?”

“I am Julia,” Julia said instead and Fisayo smiled politely but asked why that was important for him to affirm.

“You are Marvelous, aint you?” Julia said finally. Fisayo froze. He brought out his phone and dialed a number. Julia’s phone began to ring; Fisayo swore and went to the door.

“This is not funny. Who put you up to this?” Fisayo asked.

“I should be asking you that question. Did you plan this?” Julia asked. Fisayo shook his head and swore again. The two sat down and remained quiet.

“I am really in love with my Julia,” Fisayo said after a while. “I am so much in love with her.”

Julia shook her head and relaxed. She looked at Fisayo and smiled. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise. She had never really looked at Fisayo before. She would just say hello and be on her way. Tonia had told her that he had a big crush on her but she didn’t believe her. Julia looked away and smiled briefly. She had felt something special with her Marvelous. It doesn’t matter if it turned out to be Fisayo. At least he was not that bad looking. Maybe this could work, she thought.

“I am very, very fond of Marvelous.”

“Are you serious?”

“I think you should ask him. He would tell you how much we are fond of each other,” Julia replied and Fisayo smiled. They were still chatting when Tonia came back from lectures.
Tonia looked from Julia to Fisayo. She came around to face them.

“Okay. Put the cards on the table right now. I can sense something funny in the air right now and I am curious to know what it is. What is happening?” she said staring at Julia who hissed and stood up.

“What is wrong with having a conversation with Julia as she waited for you? Or would you rather I had left her here alone by herself?” Fisayo replied and smiled gaily.

Tonia nudged Julia. Julia shrugged and pulled Tonia towards her room.

“I do not want you to say any of these to any of them,” Julia stated as she sat on the bed.

“Say any of what to any of whom?” Tonia replied smiling.

Julia shrugged and lay down on the bed. It was shocking. Could Julia have fallen in love with Fisayo? Tonia looked at the lady lying on the bed and laughed. Julia eyed her and turned her back. Fisayo knocked a few minutes later and asked if Julia needed anything.

This time, Tonia collapsed on a chair in a fit of laughter. Julia later got tired of waiting for Tonia leave so she left instead with an excuse the she had to a test she had to do.

Nike arrived like thirty minutes later to get her bag from Tonia.

Kunle called at that moment and told her he would want her to act as hostess at a party he was planning to hold at his house. His attitude was more than Tonia could bear. He was no longer a stranger but was she really ready for it?

Fortunately however, the day after the day he chose was her dad’s birthday party at their home in Suleja so Tonia politely declined. Kunle said it was okay but asked if he could come to her dad’s party.

There were several advantages to the strange, unexpected offer. Allowing him to come would get her out of her suspense and Julia’s array of doubting words. The offer seemed more desirable than ever. And Kunle was right; it would give her the chance to assess him without having to feel guilty about it because he would be in her territory. She knew she would be better equipped to make her decision under those circumstances.

“I think I have a great feeling for you,” Kunle said and was silent, “I can’t call it love, but it feels so.”

Tonia smiled and hugged the phone tightly as she pushed the earpiece deeper into her ears, a move Nike tried to stop. Tonia moved away from where Nike was seated. Nike made a face and went out of the room.

Tonia glowered as the conversation continued for a few more minutes and she eventually agreed for him to come to the party. She promised to send the address to him through a text message.

Kunle told her he couldn’t wait to see her face; the lovely smile on her face. He said good bye and hung up. Nike came in at that moment , Tonia told her about the request. Nike felt it would be a great opportunity and of more advantage to her.

“You are so lucky. Julia will go mad with envy.”

"I tell you."

“Where is she anyway? She was supposed to come with you,” Nike asked.

Tonia told her that Julia had a carry over test she went to do that she would soon join them, as she said this Lola entered. She told them that she wouldn’t be staying long as she had an appointment to attend to, an appointment that couldn’t be delayed.

Julia came in later and joined in the conversation. She said something about the postponement of the test as told by a friend. And then she told them she'd been chatting with Fisayo for a while in the sitting room.

Tonia smiled but kept quiet. It was in the middle of planning on what they would wear on the day of that Fisayo came in. He greeted the girls as he dropped his key with Tonia as usual. His eyes went to Julia and he smiled as Julia smiled back. She however looked away when she caught the sheepish grin on the faces of the other girls. Fisayo went away.

“Julia, Julia,” Lola said. “Lovely Julia.”

“What is it?” Julia demanded feigning anger.

“I can’t picture you and Fisayo though? What a pair!” Lola said and nudged Nike who was just staring at Julia as if she dared her to say that was not a chemistry they just witnessed.

“He is just a friend. He keeps my company when I am here,” Julia countered, “No more, no less.”

“So he actually keeps your company when you are visiting,” Lola chipped in. “Anyway, I’ll be on my way now. See you ladies later.”

“I really don’t like the way you girls behave at times. Just because Fisayo keeps me company does not mean there is anything more to it,” Julia complained.

Nike made to reply but Tonia stopped her, she smiled and told Nike to let it rest. Nike agreed and went to lay on the bed.

Julia asked Tonia the last time Kunle called, she told her and Julia whistled. Tonia couldn’t help but burst into laughter. Despite being a jackass, Julia was very lively and hilarious. She was fun to be with and that was why she fitted into the group.

“I definitely will fall in love someday,” She finally commended. Nike gave her a sizzling glare, Julia was one that didn’t beat about the bush when something was on her mind. Julia matched Nike’s glare with a deeper scowl, she hissed and retorted that she hated being glared at.

“Kunle promised to come to my dad’s party,” Tonia said breaking the spell.

“Really, that will be sweet. May be he has a handsome brother or friend,” Julia commented.

“Don’t you ever get tired? Are you cursed with men?” Nike accused finally.

“What is your stress? Stay out of my business, I beg you in the name of God,” Julia replied.

They clustered around the small table and started to leave through a fashion magazine.

2 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 31, 2014
CHAPTER SIXTEEN

On the day of Tonia's father’s birthday, Kunle was no where to be found. It took all of Julia’s persuasion to keep Tonia in check. She lost all hope of his coming when the time said two o’clock. Tonia tried to list the possible reasons why Kunle wasn’t there. First and most likely he could have been too tired after his party or perhaps he had actually just been playing around and never intended to show up. After all, it was a long journey to Suleja.

But Just as her dad was about to make his appreciation speech, Kunle called. Tonia frowned and moved away from the crowd and noise to the back of the house.

“Hello. I know you won’t make it,” Tonia said as she answered the call, “You should have called.”

“What do you mean? How is the party going?” he asked at the other end. Tonia said it’d been fun.

“Why didn’t you call to cancel the date?”

“Why? Anyway, I’m here. Can you come and pick me? The direction was not too clear. I may be lost,” Kunle said.

“You’re kidding,” Tonia said.

“No. I’m on one Gandoki Street. At the petrol station,” Kunle replied, “You know the place?”

“Yes. Wait there, I’m on my way,” Tonia said and hung up. She went in search of her friends and told them she was going to pick Kunle up. They were all surprised. Julia volunteered to go with her but she declined. She said she would like to meet Kunle alone. She wait to hear Julia's response as she hurried out of the compound. She then hailed a taxi to Gandoki Street.

At the petrol station, she searched for him but couldn’t locate or identify him. Kunle called her; he had seen her and had guessed she was the one.

“Where are you?” Tonia asked.

“I’m in front of the petrol station,” Kunle said.

“I’m there too. Stop teasing,” Tonia warned. She looked behind her back and squeezed her face, different thoughts screaming in her head.

Kunle smiled and started to walk towards her.

“I can almost touch you now,” he said.

Tonia closed her eyes, “Please stop this mind game and show your face. I don’t like suspense.”

“Well, here I am,” someone said behind her.
Tonia turned around and gaped.

“Hello I’m Adekunle Hassan.”

Tonia gaped at him; smooth, slightly curly hair, neatly trimmed side burns and mustache. His eyes were as sharp as an eagles. He wore an immaculately sown Kaftan. She observed that he was the type that spent a lot of time on grooming. He was very fair, almost albino-ish. Distracted, she rubbed her forehead. He could very easily pass as a British. No inch of him could give out as a Yoruba man.

“Are you not going to shake my hand?” Kunle asked smiling, the most gorgeous smile Tonia had ever seen. She heard the voice, that husky voice that had been tormenting her. She took his outstretched hand and shook it.

“Nice to meet you too,” she replied finally, managing a small smile.

Kunle stepped back and took a good look at her. She was beautiful with a beautiful smile on her angelic face as he had always imagined. Kunle was so glad. She was exactly what he wanted. Simon would turn green with envy even though he loved his wife.

“Wow. You are beautiful,” Kunle said unconsciously. Tonia said thank you and giggled.

“We have to be on our way. My friends will be worried. They would like to meet you, the mysterious guy,” Tonia replied and poked Kunle playfully.

“Okay. Here we go. My car is parked down the road,” Kunle said as he led the way to his car.

As they got into the car, Tonia’s phone started ring. She smiled.

“It’s Julia, my friend…Julia; we are on our way… Okay he’s cool… I’ll see you soon,” Tonia said into her phone.

“Well, thanks for the compliments,” Kunle said and smiled.

“You’re welcome. Let’s be on our way before my absence is felt,” Tonia remarked.

They drove towards Tonia’s house and a few meters to the entrance Kunle stopped the car and faced Tonia.

“Okay. I have a confession. I think I had better say it now than when you will be too busy to have my time,” Kunle said leaning towards her.

“Okay. Please make it fast. Mum can be very nasty when she wants something done,” Tonia replied smiling.

“I think I’m in love with you. It took me a while to know this and I wanted to say it to your smiling face,” said Kunle as he held Tonia’s hand.

Tonia just looked on; she didn’t know what her reaction was supposed to be. Should it be joy, confusion, fear or should it just be caution?

“Please, think about this. I don’t expect you to believe me just like that knowing how we met but I do know what is in my heart.”

“I…I don’t know what to say,” Tonia replied.

“Just tell me you’ll be mine. You may not give me an immediate answer. Please search your heart and let me know what you find.”

He turned to the steering wheel, drove the remaining few meters and parked in a space among many cars. They alighted and walked into the compound hand in hand.

Julia, Lola and Nike came forward to greet Kunle; Julia introduced each one of them. Julia asked if he came alone and Kunle said yes. Nike shook her head before leading him to a seat. And they all sat down to enjoy the rest of the party.

It was obvious the ladies were eager to hear what Kunle told Tonia. But they had to contain their curiosity until the time was right. It was the longest wait, especially for Julia. She kept staring at Kunle. The party dragged on until Kunle announced his intention to leave. He promised to visit them again in school and Tonia walked him to his car.

“Think of all I said. Please give it a serious thought. We can make it work,” Kunle said as they got to the car, he entered, waved and drove off.

Tonia remained where she stood. She was confused of her own emotions. Should she really let this happen? Was it all just a scam?
Questions. Questions. Questions that had to be answered and fast too before wrong steps were taken. She turned back and walked to the party. She knew even Julia wouldn’t be able to give any answer on that. It was up to her to find it herself.

Julia kicked off her shoes and swore. She hated what she had done at the party. Was Nike right? Why was she always running and gaping after men? It was not like she needed to have selx with all the men she came across. Kunle was handsome but she should know better than to have tried to worm herself into his arms. That was a very sleazy thing to do.

Maybe that Sean had been right about her. He didn’t know her and had summoned up all she was about in just a few words and a phone call. Julia yawned. She wondered why she had to think about Sean at that moment. She should have forgotten about him by now.
She had Fisayo now. Fisayo was the only one that should mean the world to her. She wasn’t sure if she loved him but it was not like something she had felt in a while. It was really not usual but it was worth exploring.

She laid on her bed and closed her eyes. Maybe she just needed to concentrate on other things in her life. Men were fun but they are not really worth all that trouble she was giving herself. She made up her mind to start thinking more like Tonia.

2 Likes

Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 4:38am On Aug 04, 2014
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Brenda’s feet felt like sinking into the ground. The hall seemed to swirl around her. It wasn’t possible, she thought. No one knew about her status except Sean but suddenly doubt swept over her. One of the nurses she remembered was in their class. She had told Sean that she looked familiar.

Brenda scanned the scrutinizing and leering faces, her eyes finally settled on the girl. She was whispering to the one beside her. When her eyes met Brenda’s, she frowned and hurriedly looked away. Brenda braced herself and walked up to her.

“I can see that you have been bearing your tale. But please I beg you if you want cheap acceptance from your friends, do not use me to get it,” Brenda accused and the lady looked away with guilt.

Brenda looked at the other girls sitting with her, they hissed and moved away from her. One of them wrinkled her nose as if she smelled something bad.

Brenda was about to say something when she saw Sean enter. She waved him over and they kissed. The class went wild with screams of amazement. Sean looked around and asked what the problem was. Brenda told him and Sean’s heart sank. This had gotten out of hand, he thought. He looked at the girl in question and he saw remorse and regret in her eyes.

The girl stood up and told Brenda that she was sorry. Brenda shook her head as the ring leader pulled the girl back and told her that she didn’t have to apologize for anything.
Brenda made up her mind that instant. She dropped her books with Sean and went up to the podium. The whole class looked at her with confusion. Brenda was scared but she knew that it was now or never. She was determined that no one would carry any rumor about her; she just had to own up to it before people started saying something else. She felt the tears but she swallowed it. She picked up the public address system.

“I walked into this hall today with a broken heart. I came in and all I saw were these leering faces and for a moment I wondered why, then I knew. You have all heard it through someone that was supposed to hold her job seriously and ethically. Yes, I am HIV positive.”

The whole class went up in an uproar. Some jeered, some cheered her on. Some clapped their hands in wonder, many hissed while others just looked on with awe. Sean fell into the last category. He was caught off balance at Brenda’s bravery. He had promised to support Brenda as much as he could. He knew what his sister would have expected him to do being an activist that she was.

He let out a deep breathe and did it. He went up to the podium and stood by Brenda who smiled at him and held his hand. Sean collected the microphone from her and expressed his disappointment in the class.

“We are scientists. We are medical practitioners in the making and I think we should start to act the part,” Sean began. The class kept quiet then. Everyone looked up at the podium with rapt attention at their class-rep. Brenda collected the microphone from Sean.

“You all know me. Most of you call me a nerd behind my back. Some do so to my face but I am here to tell you that no one is out-rightly safe no matter how brilliant and upright they may think they are. This is Sean, you all know him and I believe you all love and trust him for his steadfastness. You know what he is to me. Sean is not positive and I am a virgin.”

Everyone started talking at the same time. Sean raised his hands and they quieted down.

“What she said is true. I know you would all be asking yourself how come she had the virus. I will tell you and leave you to search yourself. We all love Stella’s artistic work, right? Brenda got infected from getting a tattoo from her.”

Everyone in the class looked at one another. Someone shouted, “Tell that to the birds. She is a nerd. Nerds do not get tattoos.”

Brenda turned and showed everyone her tattoo. It was small. It was Sean’s name written inside a heart. It was not a neat job because it was not professionally done.

“I got this tattoo from Stella. It was from our one and only Stella.”

All the people in the hall looked down. They all knew Stella and they had all patronized her for one thing or the other. Sean could see that they were all making a mental note to get tested.

Coincidentally, Sean and Brenda had visited a counseling unit and they had urged them to open one in the school. Sean used the opportunity to tell his class this and he urged them to get tested before they crucify other people. Their lecturer came and the lecture started. And Brenda was forgotten.

But Brenda became a changed person after this. She became popular on campus. Many still avoided contact with her, many threw abusive words at her. While some just ignored her anytime she walked past. She started her enlightenment campaign. Each lecture hall became a seminar ground; each group became prospects for counseling. The testing and counseling unit was set up by a hospital, she was made the coordinator.

Many students came for testing. Sean was proud of her. Marvin was proud of her too. Sean knew his sister would get into a fit when she hears about it so he decided not to tell her until he was sure she would be able to handle it.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 4:59am On Aug 04, 2014
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Kunle went to visit Tonia and the others as he promised he would. It was scheduled to be a Saturday and he wasn’t going to sleep over.
Fisayo didn’t know he was coming but he couldn’t help but notice the anxiety in Tonia and her friends.

The morning of Kunle’s arrival was bright and sunny. Tonia hurried out to get a bottle of wine and when she came back, she went straight to the kitchen. She was putting the bottle of wine in the fridge when Fisayo sauntered in from the living room with a cup in his hand.

“All right,” Fisayo announced, “You avoided me last night but you can’t do it all day. Why all the excitement?”

He pushed Tonia’s bag aside so he could perch on the kitchen table, “You even bought a wine. I overhead something about someone but would like to hear it from you!”

“If you overheard it,” Tonia asked mildly, “Why do you need any confirmation?”

Fisayo nodded. “I meant I heard little pieces, but you know Julia, it was hard for me to put the pieces together.”

The doorbell rang, and relieved to be rid of Fisayo’s barrage of questions, Tonia went to answer the door with Fisayo right behind her. It was Nike and Lola.

“What are we celebrating please?” Fisayo asked Nike who just smiled at him and shrugged.

“Well, Kunle is coming today,” Lola answered instead.

“Kunle? Kunle?? Are you talking about Adekunle, Tonia’s unseen Romeo?” Fisayo asked.

“The same one but not unseen only to you though,” Lola answered.

“I should have known. We’ll finally get to meet this mysterious Romeo,” Fisayo continued.

“You will finally get to see him not us. We met at Mr. Fasakin’s birthday party,” Nike answered, sitting on the couch.

“Oh I see. Well, I would like to meet him.”

Tonia excused herself and went inside her room. They all got busy. Nike started with cutting and slicing the vegetables for the salad; she prepared it and kept it in the fridge. Lola helped Tonia with the fried rice. Finally, when they were done, Nike and Lola said their goodbyes and went away.

Fisayo said he had to visit a friend of his, and Tonia was finally alone. She laid down to rest for a bit. Kunle arrived when Tonia was dozing on the couch in front of the television in the sitting room. It was the landlord’s little son that brought him to their apartment.

Tonia woke up with a start when the doorbell rang, thinking it was Fisayo. She yelled that Kunle hasn’t arrived yet, that he should use his key to unlock the door.

“Oyinbo dey look for you,” the little boy yelled back. Tonia got up hurriedly, patted her hair and opened the door. Kunle drew her into a hot embrace and the little boy giggled.

“Thanks Ade. You may go,” Tonia said to him and he left with the five hundred naira Kunle had given him.

“Welcome to our humble little flat. My flat mates are out. Seun traveled and Fisayo just went out,” Tonia said as she led Kunle inside.

“It is a nice place. You live well for a student,” Kunle commented.

“Let me just say thanks to my parents. Moreover, we are three in this house. Some students live alone in bigger places,” Tonia replied.

They chatted, kissed, talked, kissed and ate. They talked about everything and the more they talked, the feelings grew. They were drinking the wine when Fisayo returned. Tonia introduced him to Kunle and he said hello and went into his room.

It was a visit they talked about for a long time. Even Julia admitted they would make a perfect couple. The passion grew day by day and it was obvious they were in love. Kunle admitted to the fact that Tonia was all he imagined his girl would be and he was glad that she felt the same way too. She decided to reciprocate his visit by doing the same too.

When Tonia told him of her decision to visit, Kunle was restless and full of anxiety. It was so unlike him. Why would Tonia’s visit have this effect on him? He kept asking himself. He went to a lot of stress to clean up his apartment because he had to give his house keeper the weekend off. He got to work, but because of his anxious state and so as not to do the wrong things, he handed over to his P.A.

At the close of work, he called Tonia who told him she was already on her way and would be there as soon as possible. He drove to a shopping mall on his way home and he unfortunately bumped into Temilade. The encounter had not ended in the civilized manner he’d hoped. Temilade had called him all sorts of obscene names and had even issued series of threats.

Later in his house, Kunle shuddered as he recalled the nasty scene. Why are some women so crazy and pig-headed, he asked himself as he stepped into the shower.
Kunle’s jaw knotted. All he had to do now was forget he’d ever laid eyes on her. But it wasn’t going to be easy because he knew Temilade could do anything when desperate and she sure looked very desperate. He thought of Tonia and shut his eyes as the cold water beat down on him. Tonia had always managed to stir his senses in a different and unique kind of way. Her slow, sexy stroll couldn’t be compared to Temilade’s fake performances.

Kunle groaned, opened his eyes and sighed. He just had to learn to control himself, he thought angrily. He didn’t want to start having those kinds of thoughts yet. It was his problem, if he loves; he loved with all his heart. He stepped out of the bathroom and went to where he dropped his phone and called Simon. After few rings, Simon picked up.

“What’s up, big guy?” Kunle said into the phone.

“Nothing much, how are you?” Simon replied.

“I am fine too. Tonia will be here any moment from now. She’ll be spending the weekend,” Kunle continued.

“That’s great. I’ll get to see her finally,” Simon said.

“Yes. I know you’ll like her. I’m sure,” Kunle said.

“Let’s just wait and see. Would you be bringing her over to my place tomorrow or what?” Simon asked.

“It depends on her actually. May be it’ll be better for you to come over,” Kunle said.

“Okay. I’ll call you again. Bye.”

“Bye Simon,” Kunle said and went to finish his dressing.

As he was about to put his leg into his trouser, his phone started to ring. It was Tonia, he asked where she was and she told him she was about to take a bike to the bus stop he'd described. He finished dressing up, sprayed some air freshener all over the house and waited for Tonia to call.

She should be there now, he thought thirty minutes later and he started to get worried. He was about to call her when she sent a text message that she got lost but was there.
They embraced when Kunle got to the bus stop. Tonia was kind of embarrassed when Kunle attempted to kiss her, she totally detest such things in such places.
When they got to the house, Kunle took Tonia through the house.

“I can see you have an excellent taste in antiques and furniture,” Tonia commented, “These are all nice stuffs.”

He agreed and said that was one of the things he inherited from his mum, an eye for taste. He took a long look at her as she walked around the sitting room. God, she is pretty.

He moved closer to her, his hand went into her hair, fisting in it’s abundance, tilting her head back so that her beautiful face was turned up to his and he told her she was beautiful. Tonia said thanks and made to move away. Kunle laughed, turned her face to his and kissed her.

For a moment after, Tonia was unable to speak as they laid on the bed. She knew she had waited long enough to really tell him how much she loved him. And she might have, but they were suddenly interrupted by the doorbell. Kunle got up and went out of the room.

Tonia got up, showered and dressed in a jean and a top. Julia called that that moment and asked how it was going. They chatted for a few minutes and she promised to check back on Tonia. She decided to go downstairs. She heard voices. They weren’t in the sitting room neither were they in the dining room. But she could hear the tap of keys as if someone was working on a computer keyboard. She opened the door to Kunle’s library and met him by the door.

“I was just talking about you,” Kunle said as he drew her nearer, “This is my friend, Simon. Simon, Tonia.”

Tonia turned to look at the man sitting at the computer. Simon got up and moved towards them beaming, his hand extended and then his eyes lit up.

“Tonia!” he exclaimed, “What a wonderful surprise!”

Tonia stepped forward and shook his hand and said she was glad too. They hugged.

“What do you mean by that?” Kunle asked with a frown, and Tonia smiled.

“Well, you didn’t actually tell me much about your mystery girl. This lady here is a friend to my…cousin…yes, cousin…Julia,” Simon explained, “You’re lucky.”

Kunle just looked on with surprise on his face. He wanted to know exactly where they met and Simon told him he would tell him later.

“Tonia, I really argued and fought with him when he told me about this match making thing, but I’m really glad that it’s you.” Simon said, Kunle just smiled and held Tonia closer.

“How are you?” Tonia asked.

“I am very fine,” Simon replied and moved back to the computer.

“This is getting interesting,” Kunle commented and shook his head. Tonia said she was hungry.

“I think that is my cue to leave,” Simon said as he got up, “I’ll see you tomorrow and please, take care of this guy for me. He is a good guy”

They both walked him to the door but Kunle walked him to his car. Tonia went back into the house.

“Seriously, are you really related to Julia?” Kunle asked tugging at Simon.

“No. I dated her for a while but it didn’t work out. She introduced me to everyone as her uncle but that Tonia girl is a very good, easy going girl. She’d been through a lot. The last relationship she had didn’t go well and Julia told me she loved the guy to a fault,” Simon replied.

“That is interesting. What happened?” Kunle asked curiosity taken over him.

‘”Well I don’t know for sure but the guy dumped her, that is all I know,” Simon said and got in his car and drove away.

Kunle stood there for a while. He would have to make Tonia as happy as he could. It was a small world after all. Who would have thought that Simon knew Julia? Julia was one of Tonia’s friends that he didn’t like much. He heard Tonia call his name and he went inside.

“Who is this?” Julia said. Fisayo pulled her back as she made to stand up. They had been lying down for a while arguing about Julia’s choice of dress sense.

“It is Uncle Simon,” Simon replied at the other end.

“What? What a pleasant surprise! To what or whom do I owe this wonderful call?” Julia replied and smiled.

“I just saw Tonia. I didn’t know she was the one Kunle had been talking about.”

“Was that your Kunle? You bleeped up, you know,” Julia complained.

“Do not even go there. How would I introduce you to my friend while I was dating you? I would love to believe you have stopped all that rubbish,” Simon replied, “Anyway how are you and how is school?”

“I am fine and school is good. Do you miss me?” Julia said and Fisayo rolled his eyes in contempt. He got off the bed and went out of the room. Julia frowned but kept talking.

They chatted for a few more minutes before saying goodbye. Julia then went to the sitting room to find Fisayo sulking in front of the television.

“Why do you always do that?” Fisayo asked as Julia sat beside him.

“What did I do wrong this time?” Julia asked as she crossed her legs.

“You know how much I love you and I can’t imagine you with anyone else. Why are you torturing me?” Fisayo asked and held Julia’s hand.

Julia shook her head and sighed. She loved Fisayo no doubt about that but she wasn’t sure she actually wanted to stay with him. Just minutes ago, he was complaining about her clothes and how easy it could give people the wrong signals. Julia had gotten angry when he said she could get raped for wearing clothes like that. She knew deep down that he was saying the truth but it hurt Julia that he had to be so plain about it and now he was asking these ridiculous questions.

Fisayo kept looking at her and Julia told him that she was sorry and she promised to change. She got up, went in for her bag and left. Fisayo watched as she closed the door. He wanted to go after her but he decided against it. Julia was someone he couldn’t understand no matter how much he tried. She always managed to come up with something new everyday and these new things were not always nice. Fisayo shook his head and leaned on the sofa.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
CHAPTER NINETEEN

Julia was not sure of what to tell Tonia when she told her that she wanted to follow Kunle to Lagos to see his mum. It was a big step, she thought. Tonia told her because she felt Julia knew more of Kunle through her association with Simon. Nike was positive, Lola was indifferent but Julia just wasn’t sure of what to tell Tonia. She knew however that Kunle’s mum was a strong woman who was only British through the color of her skin; she had become really African in all her behaviors.

Tonia was the kind of person that was opinionated and that could be a problem but Julia didn’t tell her this. She wanted Tonia to find out for herself so she told her that it was okay to go visit the woman. She had told her that Mrs. Hassan was a kind, friendly woman who loved her son very much. Julia saw the gleam on Tonia’s face. That was what she wanted to hear. Julia hoped for Tonia’s sake that the woman had changed otherwise Tonia was in for a tough time in Lagos and knowing Tonia for whom she was, it could be soon.

Kunle stifled a yawn. The expressway stretched long and boringly in front of him as he drove towards Lagos. Tonia had a phobia for height so they had to travel by road to Kunle’s discomfort.

“Do you want me to take over for a while?” Tonia asked realizing how tired Kunle was becoming. His eyes were very weak and tired too. But he shook his head.

“No, thanks. We just have a little over an hour to go. Why don’t you get us some water? I bought some when we stopped for fuel,” Kunle replied not removing his eyes from the road and Tonia picked up the Eva water he'd pointed at.

"Do you drink this much. You should have bought the smaller size,” Tonia said, twisting off the cap.

‘Yes I do. I get thirsty easily,” Kunle looked at her and offered her a smile, “It comes with the body.”

“Oh I see,” Tonia replied well naturedly, handing him the open bottle.

“Thanks dearie,” Kunle said, “You have a lot of work to do.”

“So I notice. I’ll just stick around and learn,” Tonia said and rested one foot on the dash, “I think I have cramps.”

“Good for you and for me, those legs I can stare at all day,” he replied, “I eat a lot too. You know that by now.”

“Apparently, I’m getting married to a glutton,” Tonia agreed contentedly, pouring herself some water and she grinned. Her phone started to ring, it was Julia.

“Hello Julia…No…We are not there yet…I will let you know…Okay…”

“Well, there goes your relationship police again. Isn’t that the fourth time since we hit the road?” Kunle asked.

Tonia sighed but grinned. Julia meant well, she said. Her grin tore at his senses. He joined her laughter, sensing that Tonia’s utterance shielded a solid layer of confidence of the relationship leading to marriage. May be Simon had been right. She needed a partner who understands her perfectly. Tonia was a woman with a goofy past possibly. He’d have to sit back, use his considerable patience and watch. With time, he’d understand her well and reveal himself fully to her too with regards to Temilade. They chatted for a while but soon they were both lost in their thoughts.

Kunle’s mind was working at a feverish rate. His heart was pumping hard. Thoughts of Tomilola always left him feeling cold and angry. Her threat the other time always bothered him. Kunle forced himself to focus on how he would tell Tonia about Tomilola and her threats.
He looked at Tonia’s dozing face and smiled.

“No, I think this had better wait until I sort things out,” he concluded in his heart.
Tomilola was a parasite, she didn’t deserve his worry. He turned his attention back to the road and concentrated on the journey ahead.

Tonia was anxious and excited. She said a silent prayer and hoped Julia was right about the woman. They were both from different social class and her fear was that Mrs. Hassan would take the difference seriously.

Hours later they got to Mrs. Hassan’s house. It was a nice, fanciful building inside a fancier wall structure. A short honk and the gateman opened the gate with the brightest smile Tonia'd ever seen.

There was a small garden in front of a double fronted bungalow. The garden was small and compact and as neat and orderly as an army on parade. Kunle placed his middle finger on the doorbell and they waited. After a while Tonia had a feeling that she was being watched. She couldn’t do anything than to put on a pleasant expression. She'd wait and hoped for the best.

Kunle turned to look at her and told her not to be scared that she looked great. He even said that his mum would love her, and then she relaxed a little. Kunle was very excited as they got down from the car.

“Mummy! It’s us! We’re here!!” Kunle yelled.

The front door opened to reveal a small and thin woman in her mid forties. She had on a black dress, her face was tired and her eyes held an unfriendly expression.

“Aunt Miriam,” Kunle beamed and hugged her.

“Oh my God. It’s Adekunle,” The woman screamed and hugged Kunle again, beaming with smiles.

The house was nice and neatly decorated just like Kunle’s house in Abuja. Kunle led Tonia into the sitting room and urged her to sit down and relax.

“Aunt Miriam, where is Mum?” He asked.

“She should be on her way out judging by the way you yelled,” Aunt Miriam replied smiling.

“Aunt Miriam, this is Tonia.”

“The one you told me on the phone?”

“Yes. Tonia, this is Aunt Miriam. She practically raised me. She’s mum’s housekeeper.”

Tonia stood up and greeted the woman. She hugged Tonia and asked how their trip was. A door opened and Mrs. Hassan stepped out.

Tonia turned to look at her and was immediately aware of her charm. She was about five feet and some inches tall but she carried herself taller. Thick, brown, groomed hair with single strands of grey fluttered under the breeze from the ceiling fan. Her face was definite, her white skin glowed, and she had this full, sensuous lip that was painted red. Nice, beautiful make up that fits perfectly and in the right proportion. She looked like she just stepped out of a magazine.
Tonia’s heart bumped faster than normal but Julia’s words reassured her.

Mrs. Hassan extended her hands and smiled. Kunle went to her and she hugged him as Tonia smiled on, “You woke me up. I was dozing.”

“I’m sorry mum. We just got here.”

“So I see. This is Tonia,” Mrs. Hassan said and smiled moving towards Tonia.

“Good afternoon ma'am,” Tonia greeted.

“You are welcome to Lagos, dear. Sit down. Miriam, please get them something to nibble on before we start dinner,” Mrs. Hassan said gracefully.

Aunt Miriam excused herself followed by Kunle.

“So what do you do?” Mrs. Hassan asked facing Tonia directly. Tonia’s heart went into her mouth. This is it. She gathered her courage and told the older woman that she was just about to finish at a college of Education as a teacher.

“That’s nice. Who is your father and how influential is he?” She asked again. Tonia was taken by surprise. She fought for what to say.

“Well…ehmm…ehmm…” Kunle came back with a plate of prawn crackers and a glass of juice.

He carried their luggage into one of the rooms. Mrs. Hassan kept staring at Tonia whom was by then pretty shaken. Her stomach tightened and she felt uneasy.

“I am waiting. What position does he hold in government? Is he a businessman? How successful is he?”

“Ehmm…no ma, he is not any of …”

“Mum,” Kunle called out from the room, “I hope you are not butchering Tonia with your scary questions. Tonia, do not pay any attention to her. Mummy, do you like Tonia? Isn’t she pretty?”

“She is pretty,” Mrs. Hassan replied and smiled at Tonia. Tonia was not sure whether to smile back or to just stay rigid with her lips sealed.

“Thank you ma,” Tonia said and shifted in her seat.

She looked everywhere but at the woman. She wished she had stayed away. She wished that she had turned Kunle down when he suggested it. She almost cursed Julia for urging her on.

“You can relax my dear. I’m not a devil. If I had said something out of turn, please forgive me,” said Mrs. Hassan. Tonia smiled shyly.

Mrs. Hassan got up and went inside the room Kunle had entered and shut the door after her, soon Tonia heard giggles.

Tonia relaxed a bit and looked around. Two potted plants graced two corners of the pale blue living room. Behind the handcrafted couch were two colored throw pillows on the floor and a huge carving of a man carrying a big calabash. There were frames containing pictures of Kunle when he was probably in secondary school. And those that had him with his mum and dad. He looked as cute as a small boy as an adult. Tonia smiled as she picked up another frame of him with a dog seated on his back on the grass.

Aunt Miriam came later to announce that dinner was ready and they all went to eat. She advised Tonia to relax that Mrs. Hassan’s bark waas worse than her bite. Tonia made a mental note to call Julia later.

When Julia heard her phone ringing she quickly picked up.

“How is it going?” Tonia told her everything.

When Julia heard what Mrs. Hassan said to Tonia, she smiled. She was still her same old self after all, she thought. Tonia was blaming Julia for it all. Julia got angry at that point but she calmed Tonia down because she could imagine what the woman could be doing to her.

“What did you say to her when she asked you the question?” Julia asked Tonia.

“Kunle came in on time and she dropped the subject. She even apologized for bringing it up but I am scared she would still ask at a later date. Why would she even ask me such?”

Julia could sense that Tonia was at her wit’s end. She knew she was trying to control herself from being hysterical.

“She didn’t mean it like that. Maybe she was just trying to make conversation. You have to drop it. She did apologize, right?”

“Drop it? That is kind of hard you know. I am not feeling very comfortable right now. I have been avoiding her since we arrived,” Tonia replied.

Julia heard a door open and close. She sensed that someone just entered the room where Tonia was and she was about to ask who it was when she heard Kunle’s voice. He asked who Tonia was talking to.

“It is Julia. Julia I have to go. We will finish this conversation later,” Tonia said and hung up.

Julia stood up and paced the length of her room. Tonia was in a tight corner and Julia knew what she must've been feeling. Her heart went out to Tonia and she hoped it all went well. Fisayo knocked and Julia went to open the door, Tonia and her tragedy forgotten.
Re: The Caricature Of A Lonely Heart (A Novel By Shoefreak) by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 08, 2014
CHAPTER TWENTY

After a chicken and porridge meal the third day, Tonia sat with Kunle on the verandah, illuminated by a single decorated light. They sipped juice and caught up on their trip.

“I wish we could stay longer,” she said, “Really Kunle it’s good to be here and to feel welcomed.”

“Yes, it is but I have to get back to work,” Kunle replied, “You can stay a little longer if you wish.”

She declined with the excuse that it would be too boring for her without him there.

“I can’t drag your mum or Aunt Miriam around Lagos you know.” She told him how adventurous and tiresome she could be in a place she’d never been. When she was through, Kunle smiled.

“Why are you smiling? What’s funny?” Tonia asked.

“It sounds like you like being a busy bee,” he said. Tonia laughed.

“Come on. When I’m new to a place I tour the place to the tunnels and Lagos is beautiful,” Tonia replied.

Kunle shrugged, changed the subject as he always did when she began to talk about her series of adventures. “Do you like my mum?”

“Absolutely. She’s wonderful. I was scared she was going to be a difficult woman but she’s nice. I like her,” Kunle touched her hand. She wasn’t sure if she should tell Kunle that she was not comfortable with what his mum said to her.

“I’m glad you do,” He said and stood up to stretch. He led Tonia inside and all was forgotten.

Thankfully Mrs. Hassan didn’t bring up the issue again. She had welcomed her properly the next day, it was as if they didn’t’ even have the awkward conversation. She bade them goodbye and made Tonia promise to come back and visit.

As the car rolled down the driveway to Kunle’s house, Tonia was overwhelmed with a sense of relief. No more worries of being unaccepted. It was something that was over and done with. She was glad because from that day she planned to live a happier, secured life with Kunle. It wasn’t until they were parking at the garage, that she noticed a Toyota Avensus car parked at the back of the house.

“I wonder whose car that is,” Tonia said and pointed, “Is it Simon?”

Kunle looked at the direction she pointed at and his heart skipped a beat. He was almost pathetically grateful to be free of Tomilola. He suddenly wished for a miracle to happen. He sat behind the wheel like someone mesmerized.

“Are you okay?” Tonia asked.

“I am fine but I have something to tell you and it cannot wait.”

“What? What is it?” Tonia asked. Kunle was silent all of a sudden with an angry look fixed on his face. Tonia looked at what he was staring so angrily at and what she saw was a surprise.

Walking towards them was Tomilola, the popular actress. Tonia beamed with surprise.

“Do you know her? She’s my favorite actress. Why didn’t you tell me,” Tonia ranted and stopped when she noticed Kunle’s hands were shaking.

“Oh my God!” he said instead.

“Is there a problem involving you and her?” Tonia asked. Kunle told her to stay in the car and got out of the car. She then asked Tomilola what she was doing in his house in his absence.

“That’s not a nice way to talk to your love,” Tomilola said. Tonia frowned and got out of the car.

“What is going on?” Tonia asked Kunle. Kunle begged her to go into the house.

“Don’t tell me you’ve been acting up because of this tramp?” Tomilola asked with disgust.

“Watch your mouth, Tomilola,” Kunle cautioned. Tonia glared at the two of them then she walked away towards the house.

“Hey bitch. You had better start looking elsewhere because this man here is mine and no one else’s,” she said to Tonia’s retreating back. Tonia flinched but walked on without looking back.

Kunle took hold of Tomilola and dragged her to where her car was packed.

“Stay away from me. You see that lady? She is my fiancée. We’re getting married.”

“Not on your life, Adekunle,” Tomilola said.

Simon drove in at that moment and Kunle breathed a sigh of relief as Simon got out of his car.

“Simon, please tell this stupid lady to leave my house,” Kunle said to Simon.

“What exactly is the problem? The two of you should calm down,” Simon asked.

“I just came back with Tonia from my mum’s place in Lagos…”

“What? You are an idiot. You didn’t even take me to your mother’s but you took that tramp,” Tomilola chipped in.

“Shut your filthy mouth. She called Tonia all sorts of names Simon,” Kunle said dejectedly, “Warn her please.”

“Where is Tonia?” Simon asked. Kunle told him Tonia was inside. Simon told Tomilola to leave because Kunle was getting married to Tonia very soon.

Tonia stood looking at them from the window. Kunle was very angry; Tomilola was yelling all sorts of obscenity. Simon was persuading both of them to calm down. Tonia shook her head. She almost thought Kunle was only hers, how wrong she was. She called Julia and explained the situation to her; Julia told her to calm down and wanted to hear what Kunle said and what he was doing.

“What does he have to say? He is still outside,” Tonia replied.

“You said he was angry when he saw her right? It means she’s just a wounded dog,” Julia concluded.

“What should I really do? Please do not come up with anything outrageous,” Tonia asked, looking through the window.

She caught Tomilola making moves to hug Kunle who was backing away. Temilade had a funny look on her face that Tonia had to laugh.

“What’s funny?” Julia asked curiously.

“The lady is just plain stupid. Are they all as stupid is this. She really looks ridiculous.”

“I’ll tell you what, go outside and call Kunle into the house,” Julia suggested.

“Why? Let them sort it out,” Tonia said.

“Come on girl. You wanted my advice. It will be fun. Just tell him you need him inside now. Tomilola will go crazy when he obeys,” Julia said with glee.

“Okay, I’ll call you back,” Tonia hung up and walked outside.

Tomilola was still going after Kunle who was trying to put a distance between him and her. Kunle stopped when he saw Tonia and frowned.

“I’m so sorry about the unforeseen embarrassment,” Kunle said to Tonia.

Tomilola yelled and made to follow Kunle but Simon pulled her back.

“Will you stop being childish. You have another guy, why won’t you let Kunle do the same thing,” Simon said as he held unto Tomilola who was busy struggling to release her hand from his grip.

“If I can’t have him no one can, definitely not this cheap bitch,” Tomilola yelled back
“Adekunle, I want you inside the house right now please,” Tonia said and went back into the house. Kunle waved to Simon and went after Tonia.

“Did you see that? He never did anything I tell him to do. And this…this…” Tomilola said to Simon, “This is not over yet.”

Simon breathed a sigh of relief as Tomilola went into her car and drove away. He decided to leave so as to allow the couple sort their issue out. He got into his car and drove out of the compound.

A ripple of mirthless laughter came from Tonia’s mouth as Kunle came into the sitting room. Kunle’s eyes narrowed at this change but smiled still unsure of where to start his explanation from. Tonia’s laughter caught him unawares and threw him off guard. Kunle eyed her silently. Tonia stopped laughing and looked at Kunle’s glum face. She frowned.

“When were you planning to tell me about her,” she asked as Kunle sat down dejectedly.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t think she would come here and make such a scene after all what happened between us,” Kunle narrated his story with Tomilola up to the last day at the supermarket.

Tonia asked if there were other people she should know about. Kunle said no and asked if he had been forgiven. They glared at each other.

“You still love me, don’t you?” Kunle asked with his face very close to Tonia’s.

“Why should I?” Tonia threw back her head and glared at him, “You hid things from me. You practically lied about some things. Julia warned me about this.”

Kunle was silent for a moment with a look on his face Tonia couldn’t read. For a while she thought Kunle hadn’t heard her at all.

“Didn’t you hear what I said?” she asked.

“I really don’t know what else you want me to say. Why did you have to bring Julia into this conversation? It is always Julia said this, Julia said that. I am going to my room, call me when you are ready to leave,” Kunle said, got up and started to move towards the staircase.

Tonia didn’t want him to go so dejected. She followed him and apologized. She asked him to promise never to hide things from her again and asked if there were other secrets she should know about. Kunle said there were no other secrets that needed to be revealed. He warned Tonia to be careful and weary of Tomilola because she could be very ruthless and rough. Tonia told him not to worry.

“Julia will deal with her,” Tonia replied. “Moreover I’m immune to irate ex-girlfriends.”

“Julia again?”

“I am sorry but you had better get used to it. You know she is the one that can deal with people like Tomilola. Sometimes I wish I was like her. Okay, I will stop mentioning her name,” Tonia said and moved closer to Kunle. Kunle smiled and they went upstairs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Addicted To Romance Novels? / Addicted To S*X / Extreme Encounter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 276
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.