Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

I Am Now A Beautiful Bride To All Political Parties - OSOBA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Now A Beautiful Bride To All Political Parties - OSOBA (753 Views)

Osoba Group Disowns Falae Over N100m Donation-the Vanguard / Osoba, Daniel Set To Join APC / 16 Political Parties Endorse Shift In Election Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Am Now A Beautiful Bride To All Political Parties - OSOBA by talk2smat(m): 7:28pm On Jul 14, 2014
Elder statesman and a two-time former governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba, currently, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), was in Lagos to attend the birthday celebration and the launch of Chief Frank Kokori’s book. He spoke with newsmenon a number of issues at the event. Excerpts:

What will you say about Kokori whom you have come to honour today?

Yes. Frank Kokori, myself alongside other activists were all together in the struggle. I am today because Kokori did not die. Some of our colleagues, for their own political ends, were spinning the story that I was the one who gave Kokori up. But Kokori is alive and has been able to tell the world that I know nothing about how he was arrested. Even when he was arrested and was in incarceration, I was close to the wife and the children to ensure that they were comfortable. So, I am here today to celebrate with Kokori about his being alive and to also absolve the name, Segun Osoba. It was some of our colleagues who spun the story that I was the one that gave him up.

You are a delegate at the on-going National Conference and there has been a lot of hoopla about certain topics listed for deliberation. What are your thoughts?

When we were about going for the conference, there was fear. But in any gathering, there is bound to be disagreements. But when there is a disagreement, you negotiate and shift ground. At the end of the day, I am sure we will get something out of the conference. Of course, I know it would be tough. It may even get to the extent that we may have to walk out on one another but I am quite sure that God will guide us to walk out and walk back.

There is this assumption that activism appears to have died down now which was unlike the fights people like you put up for the restoration of June 12. What exactly will you say has gone wrong?

We are yet to have a full-blown democracy. What we have is a guided democracy. When you have military men seizing newspapers, then you will agree with me that something is wrong. But you see, I don’t agree that activism in Nigeria has actually gone down totally. You will remember that men like Wole Soyinka, Pastor Tunde Bakare, General Alani Akinrinade (retired) came out wearing T-shirts and fought for Jonathan to be made Acting President in the absence of Yar’Adua that showed that men of such passions are setting good examples for the younger generation to also come out on the streets.

Also look at the period we had the fuel subsidy protest. The civil society tried their best in mobilizing the populace. And what about the most recent case of the abduction of the Chibok girls of Borno State. I am very much impressed with the way our women and ladies handled the case. So, I don’t believe civil activism have gone down at all. And I also think we need to applaud the Nigerian press that spearheaded the campaign. Nigerian press is very vibrant. One of the most vibrant, most patriotic and most independent in Africa.

What will you say is your greatest regret in the struggle for democracy?
What I can call my greatest regret is the inability of some who fought for the return of democracy to hold political offices. Many of those who knew nothing about how the democratic experiment was evolved are now those who are benefitting from it. They are the major beneficiaries.

And who do you think should be blamed for that?

The military, they did a guided handover and that was the first major setback. They handed over power to who they want.
Being one of the frontline persons who fought for the return of democracy, is it true that former President Olusegun Obasanjo was secretly supporting pro-democracy activists?

I don’t buy that. Although, Kokori mentioned that in his book, I was not aware of that. I was in Abeokuta and was fully involved and I remembered that it was that time he (Obasanjo) said Abiola was not the Messiah. I don’t really know about Kokori’s relationship with Obasanjo.
I cannot talk about their relationship because I don’t know about it.

In the last election in Ekiti State, many had thought your party, APC will emerge victorious, what exactly will you say went wrong?

As for the election, we want to put it behind us. We are a responsible political party.

What will you say about the governor’s acceptance of defeat?

Governor Fayemi is a responsible man. He is well brought up. He is an exposed gentleman. Governor Fayemi has displayed high level of magnanimity which is strange to many in Nigeria.

Some say Fayemi did not do the right thing by proceeding with the idea of establishing new local councils. What is your opinion on this?

First of all, it must be noted that the governor is still the governor till October with full authority. Secondly, the motion for the creation of new Local Council Development Authority (LCDA) has been in motion for a very long time. Besides, this is a process that will still pass through referendum. Of course, I have the feeling that he would dialogue with the governor-elect Fayose on this.

What will you say about the defeat in Ekiti to APC considering the fact that the South West is its stronghold and the fact that Osun election is close by?

A wakeup call. It is a wakeup call for all of us.

How far will you say the leadership of your party has gone in reconciling warring factions of APC in your home state, Ogun?
No comment.

And how has the party resolved internal wrangling after the national convention?
No comment.

How true is the insinuation that you are planning to defect to PDP?

If there is anything I will never do in my life till I die, is to join a conservative party. I had my political tutelage directly from Papa Awolowo. Of the living people today, those I can call my seniors from direct political education and tutelage from Papa Awolowo are only three; Chief Olanihun Ajayi, Ayo Adebanjo and Alhaji Lateef Jakande. These are the only three people who can call themselves my seniors in receiving direct political tutelage from Papa Awolowo.

Every two weeks, we always went with him to have minimum of three sessions at dinner. Dinner for Awolowo was a period of political lecture. Anecdotes, histories were some of the tool the sage often employed. For me, I will say the spin doctors are now at work. I am not purchasable. I am not into belly-politics. Let them be spreading the rumour, the insinuations. Let them go on with it. When I take my action, you will all hear it about it.

But have they been approaching you?

Oh yes. All of them are approaching me. All the parties. Labour, PDP, Accord and the rest of them. What is wrong in that? Politics is dynamic. Yes, they are talking to me.

And on the forthcoming gubernatorial election in Osun State, do you see PDP winning the state from APC?

God forbid bad thing!

Credits:http://dailytrust.com.ng/politics/29027-i-m-now-a-beautiful-bride-to-all-political-parties-osoba
Re: I Am Now A Beautiful Bride To All Political Parties - OSOBA by seanet02: 7:56pm On Jul 14, 2014
We don hear

(1) (Reply)

2015; The Predicted 'dooms' Year For Nigeria / Usher Busted On Camera While Taking A Sharp Look At Kim Kardashain's Butt / Sister Of Late Port Harcourt Doctor Who Skipped quarantine To Abia Has Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.