Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,157 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Javascript Study Group - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javascript Study Group (13279 Views)

Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners) / Study Group For C++ Learner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Javascript Study Group by Karleb(m): 4:59pm On Jul 25, 2014
Pastor blueyedgeek, please can you gimme the link to tthe website you use to host your codes.

I already have bitbucket.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 5:47pm On Jul 25, 2014
Karleb: Pastor blueyedgeek, please can you gimme the link to tthe website you use to host your codes.

I already have bitbucket.
Pastor bawo? I use bitbucket too. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole git stuff so I'm not big on that.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Karleb(m): 6:54pm On Jul 25, 2014
blueyedgeek: Pastor bawo? I use bitbucket too. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole git stuff so I'm not big on that.

But I could swear you've been hosting your codes before you met bitbucket, as in the competition.

BTW, I meant Alhaji.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 6:58pm On Jul 25, 2014
Karleb:

But I could swear you've been hosting your codes before you met bitbucket, as in the competition.

BTW, I meant Alhaji.
Do you mean google drive?
Re: Javascript Study Group by Karleb(m): 7:07pm On Jul 25, 2014
blueyedgeek: Do you mean google drive?

You gorrit cool

I wanna learn the a_z, sir. smiley
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 7:46pm On Jul 25, 2014
Karleb:

You gorrit cool

I wanna learn the a_z, sir. smiley
Well, there is nothing much to learn. Google drive is like Dropbox, a cloud based service that allows you to store documents, photos, videos etc online. It offers you 15gb of storage.

Umm, what else, you can use it to host your simple web apps and or web site, all you have to do is to upload the codes/files/images etc that make up the site into a folder and make sure the arrangement is the same as it is on your local computer (you could just upload the entire folder at once with all the files inside).

Click on your html document, it will open up a preview of the code that makes up the html document, at the top, you should see a link called "Open", click on it and it will open up a new page still containing just the code but this time at the top, you should see a link called "preview" and when you click on it, it will open up the web page as it should be displayed in a browser.

One thing to note: make sure you share the folder as "public on the web" so that it can be accessed by all.

When it opens up the web page, it will generate a funny looking url for your site, just copy it and share. (you can shorten the link using a url shortener though)

Daz all.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Study Group by Karleb(m): 9:23pm On Jul 25, 2014
blueyedgeek: Well, there is nothing much to learn. Google drive is like Dropbox, a cloud based service that allows you to store documents, photos, videos etc online. It offers you 15gb of storage.

Umm, what else, you can use it to host your simple web apps and or web site, all you have to do is to upload the codes/files/images etc that make up the site into a folder and make sure the arrangement is the same as it is on your local computer (you could just upload the entire folder at once with all the files inside).

Click on your html document, it will open up a preview of the code that makes up the html document, at the top, you should see a link called "Open", click on it and it will open up a new page still containing just the code but this time at the top, you should see a link called "preview" and when you click on it, it will open up the web page as it should be displayed in a browser.

One thing to note: make sure you share the folder as "public on the web" so that it can be accessed by all.

When it opens up the web page, it will generate a funny looking url for your site, just copy it and share. (you can shorten the link using a url shortener though)

Daz all.

Questions:

1. Do you mean I can only do that with a computer, cos I don't have one but I have an android phone.

2. Do you mean Dropbox can also perform this function.

3. I'm sorry for derailing your thread.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 10:46pm On Jul 25, 2014
Karleb:

Questions:

1. Do you mean I can only do that with a computer, cos I don't have one but I have an android phone.

2. Do you mean Dropbox can also perform this function.

3. I'm sorry for derailing your thread.
1. Yes, I don't think an android phone is suitable for that.

2. Yeah but I prefer drive and besides you have to be on premium package to host with dropbox

3. You're not really derailing. We are here to help each other on any subject. Javascript just happens to be the main focus
Re: Javascript Study Group by ClintonNzedimma(m): 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2014
blueyedgeek pls post links to download Javascript Ebooks....thanx
Re: Javascript Study Group by DharkPoet(m): 5:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
Having a problem, grabbing the prototype feature of javascript.

While reading, I got stuck at this snippet of code

function CustomerBooking(bookingId, customerName, film, showDate)
{
this.customerName = customerName;
this.bookingId = bookingId;
this.showDate = showDate;
this.film = film;
}

}
CustomerBooking.prototype.getBookingId = function()
{
return this.bookingId;
}

// Cinema type
function Cinema()
{
this.bookings = new Array();
}
Cinema.prototype.addBooking = function(bookingId, customerName, film, showDate)
{
this.bookings[bookingId] = new CustomerBooking(bookingId,
customerName, film, showDate);
}
Cinema.prototype.getBookingsTable = function()
{
var booking;
var bookingsTableHTML = “<table border=1>”;
for (booking in this.bookings)
{
bookingsTableHTML += “<tr><td>”;
bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getBookingId();
bookingsTableHTML += “</td>”;
bookingsTableHTML += “<td>”;

bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getCustomerName();
bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getFilm();
bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getShowDate();
bookingsTableHTML += “</tr>”;
}
var londonOdeon = new Cinema();
londonOdeon.addBooking(342, “Arnold Palmer”,”Toy Story”, “15 July 2009 20:15”);
londonOdeon.addBooking(335, “Louise Anderson”,
“The Shawshank Redemption”, “27 July 2009 11:25”);
londonOdeon.addBooking(566, “Catherine Hughes”,
“Never Say Never”, “27 July 2009 17:55”);
londonOdeon.addBooking(324, “Beci Smith”,”Shrek”, “29 July 2009 20:15”);
document.write(londonOdeon.getBookingsTable());

Could someone help shed more light on the Cinema constructor and why the new array instance? What does this statement really do this.bookings[booking].getBookingId();

Thanks
Re: Javascript Study Group by Olyboy16(m): 7:46pm On Jul 26, 2014
DharkPoet: Having a problem, grabbing the prototype feature of javascript.

While reading, I got stuck at this snippet of code

function CustomerBooking(bookingId, customerName, film, showDate)
{
this.customerName = customerName;
this.bookingId = bookingId;
this.showDate = showDate;
this.film = film;
}

}
CustomerBooking.prototype.getBookingId = function()
{
return this.bookingId;
}

// Cinema type
function Cinema()
{
this.bookings = new Array();
}
Cinema.prototype.addBooking = function(bookingId, customerName, film, showDate)
{
this.bookings[bookingId] = new CustomerBooking(bookingId,
customerName, film, showDate);
}
Cinema.prototype.getBookingsTable = function()
{
var booking;
var bookingsTableHTML = “<table border=1>”;
for (booking in this.bookings)
{
bookingsTableHTML += “<tr><td>”;
bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getBookingId();

bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getCustomerName();
bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getFilm();
bookingsTableHTML += this.bookings[booking].getShowDate();
bookingsTableHTML += “</tr>”;
}
var londonOdeon = new Cinema();
londonOdeon.addBooking(342, “Arnold Palmer”,”Toy Story”, “15 July 2009 20:15”);
londonOdeon.addBooking(335, “Louise Anderson”,
“The Shawshank Redemption”, “27 July 2009 11:25”);
londonOdeon.addBooking(566, “Catherine Hughes”,
“Never Say Never”, “27 July 2009 17:55”);
londonOdeon.addBooking(324, “Beci Smith”,”Shrek”, “29 July 2009 20:15”);
document.write(londonOdeon.getBookingsTable());

Could someone help shed more light on the Cinema constructor and why the new array instance? What does this statement really do this.bookings[booking].getBookingId();

Thanks

Explaining the last statement there:
this.bookings from Cinema.addBookings() is an array populated with instances of the CustomerBooking() object. And the CustomerBooking() object has the method getBookingId(). So you see that the statement returns the booking id of a customer booking at index booking!

I hope this xplains it,
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 5:31pm On Jul 27, 2014
Re: Javascript Study Group by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:20pm On Jul 27, 2014
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: thanx bro but i think i need ebooks for beginners
Apart from the first one, the rest are suitable for beginners. You can also check out these sites to grasp some of the basic concepts. They are all beginner friendly:

http://afterhoursprogramming.com

http://tutorialspoint.com

http://htmldog.com

blog (just to stay abreast with js news)
http://javascriptissexy.com
Re: Javascript Study Group by fattbabakay(m): 9:48am On Jul 29, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Another challenge/study group going nowhere. Lets make JS apps that will make us money instead of making inept n rigged challenges and study groups on this forum. That will definitely help out the poor that is really in need than those who have money and want to hide info and money to themselves.

1. An app that will teach people JS.
2. An app that display your code in real-time devices
3. An app that will convert HTML/JS into other languages like Java & C++.

Y not open a new thread nd discuss these??
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 11:34am On Aug 02, 2014
[size=32pt]Simple Javascript Challenges for Beginners[/size]

Hey guys, here are some simple javascript challenges to try out.

[size=24pt]1. Looping a triangle[/size]

Using a for loop, write a program that makes seven calls to console.log to output the following triangle:

#
##
###
####
#####
######
#######

[size=24pt]2. FizzBuzz[/size]
Using a for loop, write a program that uses console.log to print all the numbers from 1 to 100, with two exceptions. For numbers divisible by 3, print "Fizz" instead of the number, and for numbers divisible by 5 (and not 3), print "Buzz" instead.

When you have that working, modify your program to print "FizzBuzz" for numbers that are divisible by both 3 and 5.

source: http://eloquentjavascript.net

Post your solutions here

Ps: Don't peek at the answers if you haven't at least tried to tackle the challenge
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 2:45pm On Aug 02, 2014
blueyedgeek: [size=32pt]Simple Javascript Challenges for Beginners[/size]

Hey guys, here are some simple javascript challenges to try out.

[size=24pt]1. Looping a triangle[/size]

Using a for loop, write a program that makes seven calls to console.log to output the following triangle:

#
##
###
####
#####
######
#######

[size=24pt]2. FizzBuzz[/size]
Using a for loop, write a program that uses console.log to print all the numbers from 1 to 100, with two exceptions. For numbers divisible by 3, print "Fizz" instead of the number, and for numbers divisible by 5 (and not 3), print "Buzz" instead.

When you have that working, modify your program to print "FizzBuzz" for numbers that are divisible by both 3 and 5.

source: http://eloquentjavascript.net

Post your solutions here

Ps: Don't peek at the answers if you haven't at least tried to tackle the challenge
console.log?? Explain pls.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 5:32pm On Aug 02, 2014
zicjoe: console.log?? Explain pls.
It is a common object/method provided by debuggers that allows you to log information to the Javascript console that comes with most browsers. The shortcut for the Javascript console on most browsers is f12. It's a great way to try out what your code does and not as annoying as the alert function.

Clear?
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 6:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
blueyedgeek: It is a common object/method provided by debuggers that allows you to log information to the Javascript console that comes with most browsers. The shortcut for the Javascript console on most browsers is f12. It's a great way to try out what your code does and not as annoying as the alert function.

Clear?
Clear
Re: Javascript Study Group by Karleb(m): 3:19am On Sep 20, 2014
Blueyedgeek.

Pls can you pls gimme a link to download an android app that display JavaScript, I've searched on play store but I haven't gotten a suitable one, I wouldn't mind if it's the paid ones.

BTW, why do we have many java, c+ and c# app compared to Js app and even HTML&CSS apps, majority of this web app app's are thrash compared to their mobile app app's counterpart.

A case study is Sand ide.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 6:56am On Sep 21, 2014
Karleb: Blueyedgeek.

Pls can you pls gimme a link to download an android app that display JavaScript, I've searched on play store but I haven't gotten a suitable one, I wouldn't mind if it's the paid ones.
Your request isn't clear, do you mean something you can use for javascript coding? if that is the case, then search for DroidEdit, it's a simple text editor like notepad++.

BTW, why do we have many java, c+ and c# app compared to Js app and even HTML&CSS apps, majority of this web app app's are thrash compared to their mobile app app's counterpart.

A case study is Sand ide.
The languages used to build such apps are native to the platform and as such will be faster compared to web apps. Web apps are not all that bad though, one thing about it is that you can code once and deploy anywhere without having to start from scratch again should you want to develop for another platform. There are also many mobile apps that are trash as well, it has nothing to with the language used to build it.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 24, 2014
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 24, 2014
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 4:47am On Sep 25, 2014
Need suggestions on which code validator to use offline... any ideas please?
Re: Javascript Study Group by Raypawer(m): 8:53am On Sep 25, 2014
i dey here! jumping into JavaScript... its fun knowing More Programming language to solve more problems!
Re: Javascript Study Group by Cybergenius(m): 12:04am On Sep 26, 2014
<script>
$(this).thread().close(true);
</script>
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 10:16am On Oct 03, 2014
Cybergenius: <script>
$(this).thread().close(true);
</script>
How can you use jQuery without linking to it first? Your code no work and as such this thread remains open.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 10:17am On Oct 03, 2014
Raypawer: i dey here! jumping into JavaScript... its fun knowing More Programming language to solve more problems!
Welcome bro.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 10:23am On Oct 03, 2014
AkunneObinna: Need suggestions on which code validator to use offline... any ideas please?
Web browsers come with a console that can be used for debugging purposes, the shortcut on most browsers is f12.

You can also get the firebug extension for firefox at http://getfirebug.com

Also, get the web developer toolbar at http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

That should be more than enough for your needs.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 04, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Personally, I think we need the money b4 we pay a whole alot of time to start understanding code. We can copy and paste for a while and then we go back to see what it is about. When Google started, they didnt really know how to program well, but they got better as time went by. Facebook got better as well. I think we should get the money 1st and then focus on understanding code.
Shut up that trash, who told you google and facebook dint know programming beofore they were established, pls dont say this again.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 04, 2014
davidsmith8900:
They were Comp Sci PHD students who were not experienced in HTML, thats the main reason why their original homepage has a simple design. But to get back on topic, how much is the challenge? What market should we be targeting for apps instead of just wasting time forming study groups and having competitions that won't bring us money?
Hello bro, seriously you are really counting out, all your points are bogus, as far as the internet is concern, a search engine is not suppose to be intricatic.

If you say sergey brin and larry page wer'nt good at HTML how come they design a nice looking social network (Google Plus)?
Re: Javascript Study Group by Cybergenius(m): 9:52am On Oct 04, 2014
blueyedgeek:
How can you use jQuery without linking to it first? Your code no work and as such this thread remains open.

just joking *JERK*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Average Salary Of A Php Programmer In Lagos / Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? / Keywords / Reserved word In Q-BASIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.