Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,139 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Javascript Study Group - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javascript Study Group (13278 Views)

Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners) / Study Group For C++ Learner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Javascript Study Group by omeizaowuda(m): 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2014
Its so funny as you guys started with js and ended it with discussing successful people. I know js, but I feel its syntax is so unorganized. Now I feel comfortable with libraries like jquery and framework like node.js.

My Naija people, make we learn and no allow money distract us. We will be successful only if we are able to actually connect the dots.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 10, 2014
DharkPoet:
Here are some examples to keep us busy:
Find PI to the Nth Digit - Enter a number and
have the program generate PI up to that many
decimal places. Keep a limit to how far the
program will go.

Fibonacci Sequence - Enter a number and have
the program generate the Fibonacci sequence to
that number or to the Nth number.

Prime Factorization - Have the user enter a
number and find all Prime Factors (if there are
any) and display them.

Next Prime Number - Have the program find
prime numbers until the user chooses to stop
asking for the next one.

Find Cost of Tile to Cover W x H Floor -
Calculate the total cost of tile it would take to
cover a floor plan of width and height, using a
cost entered by the user.

Mortgage Calculator - Calculate the monthly
payments of a fixed term mortgage over given
Nth terms at a given interest rate. Also figure
out how long it will take the user to pay back the
loan.

Hmmm
Re: Javascript Study Group by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2014
omeizaowuda:
Its so funny as you guys started with js and ended it with discussing successful people. I know js, but I feel its syntax is so unorganized. Now I feel comfortable with libraries like jquery and framework like node.js.
My Naija people, make we learn and no allow money distract us. We will be successful only if we are able to actually connect the dots.
Very sensible post indeed, if you start coding with money being your primary objective, well. . . .
Re: Javascript Study Group by omeizaowuda(m): 9:12pm On Nov 14, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Personally, I think we need the money b4 we pay a whole alot of time to start understanding code. We can copy and paste for a while and then we go back to see what it is about. When Google started, they didnt really know how to program well, but they got better as time went by. Facebook got better as well. I think we should get the money 1st and then focus on understanding code.

Then good luck at making your cool app.
Re: Javascript Study Group by omeizaowuda(m): 9:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
davidsmith8900:
They were Comp Sci PHD students who were not experienced in HTML, thats the main reason why their original homepage has a simple design. But to get back on topic, how much is the challenge? What market should we be targeting for apps instead of just wasting time forming study groups and having competitions that won't bring us money?

You sure want to eat your cake and have it. You wanna be rich overnight. Once again, goodluck bro
Re: Javascript Study Group by akay48(m): 6:40am On Nov 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Another challenge/study group going nowhere. Lets make JS apps that will make us money instead of making inept n rigged challenges and study groups on this forum. That will definitely help out the poor that is really in need than those who have money and want to hide info and money to themselves.

1. An app that will teach people JS.
2. An app that display your code in real-time devices
3. An app that will convert HTML/JS into other languages like Java & C++.

Take several seats bro. An app that will teach people JS? Really? When you're not willing to learn yourself?
2. What are you even talking about?

@ bolded People like you are simply interested in what benefits your pockets only without having to make any sacrifice.

My two cents, get a front seat, buy popcorn, relax your nerves and enjoy this thread in 3D. Make that 4cents.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 9:19am On Nov 15, 2014
If there's anyone here just getting into javascript and needs a well structured study plan or something like a curriculum to follow, please indicate here. Learning alone can be brutal, trust me.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zeroshadow: 9:25am On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
If there's anyone here just getting into javascript and needs a well structured study plan or something like a curriculum to follow, please indicate here. Learning alone can be brutal, trust me.

Nothing beats self education.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 9:44am On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Nothing beats self education.
You clearly did not understand my post. I'm not against self education (I'm doing it myself). What I'm trying to say is that if there's anyone new to it and needs someone going along, then I'm game.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zeroshadow: 9:50am On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
You clearly did not understand my post. I'm not against self education (I'm doing it myself). What I'm trying to say is that if there's anyone new to it and needs someone going along, then I'm game.

Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 12:07pm On Nov 15, 2014
zeroshadow:

Whatever man, believe what you want. It's a free world.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 1:34pm On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
yea. i lyk dis. hw e go b?
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 3:16pm On Nov 15, 2014
zicjoe:
I will like to know how far you have come with javascript, total newbie or advanced beginner? Also, I would like to know what end of the spectrum you want to fall into in web development,

Front end development - which involves client side codes that run in the browser

Back end development - which involves server side coding

Or full stack - front end + back end combined into one.

There's no correct answer, I just want to know how far you have come and where you would like to go from here.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 3:47pm On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
I will like to know how far you have come with javascript, total newbie or advanced beginner? Also, I would like to know what end of the spectrum you want to fall into in web development,

Front end development - which involves client side codes that run in the browser

Back end development - which involves server side coding

Or full stack - front end + back end combined into one.

There's no correct answer, I just want to know how far you have come and where you would like to go from here.
im an advance beginner. Full stack tins all d way. Up to u nw.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
zicjoe:
im an advance beginner. Full stack tins all d way. Up to u nw.
Cool, ever heard of the odin project?
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 5:25pm On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
Cool, ever heard of the odin project?
nope, wat abt it?
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2014
zicjoe:
nope, wat abt it?
The odin project enables aspiring web developers
to reach their goals by providing access to a wide range of resources in a well structured way. You know when you're in school, your teachers use some kind of syllabus in passing information to you. Basically, the odin project provides you with a curriculum to follow while learning on your own. One thing though, the curriculum is focused on Ruby as the server side language.

You should google it and tell me if it's a nice fit for you.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 8:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
The odin project enables aspiring web developers
to reach their goals by providing access to a wide range of resources in a well structured way. You know when you're in school, your teachers use some kind of syllabus in passing information to you. Basically, the odin project provides you with a curriculum to follow while learning on your own. One thing though, the curriculum is focused on Ruby as the server side language.

You should google it and tell me if it's a nice fit for you.
i've look it up in google. I think its ok.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Chimanet(m): 9:11pm On Nov 15, 2014
zicjoe:
So happy to see some people thinking in the same direction am thinking at the oment.i heve been a Java/J2EE developer for some couple of years now but for now i have been studying plain javascript, the language construct, for the past one week. and i will say it is such a fun and crazy language at the same time. the whole functional, closure and prototypal inheritance thing is just so weird and powerful. anyway am not yet advanced in javascript for now, but am trying to give it the full attention it deserves. so we could study together if you want, at least we can be the few javascript Ninjas in nairaland, or Nigeria because i dont think their is much of them at the moment. my email is xhimat123@gmail.com. and my number is 08060880402.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2014
zicjoe:
i've look it up in google. I think its ok.
Do you plan to follow it or should we create a curriculum focused around javascript alone?

I'm talking javascript in-
depth and all the fancy new frameworks.
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 9:26pm On Nov 15, 2014
Chimanet:

So happy to see some people thinking in the same direction am thinking at the oment.i heve been a Java/J2EE developer for some couple of years now but for now i have been studying plain javascript, the language construct, for the past one week. and i will say it is such a fun and crazy language at the same time. the whole functional, closure and prototypal inheritance thing is just so weird and powerful. anyway am not yet advanced in javascript for now, but am trying to give it the full attention it deserves. so we could study together if you want, at least we can be the few javascript Ninjas in nairaland, or Nigeria because i dont think their is much of them at the moment. my email is xhimat123@gmail.com. and my number is 08060880402.
cool, just waiting for Zicjoe's reply.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
blueyedgeek:
Do you plan to follow it or should we create a curriculum focused around javascript alone?

I'm talking javascript in-
depth and all the fancy new frameworks.
the latter is beta. wic do you prefer?
Re: Javascript Study Group by Chimanet(m): 9:47am On Nov 16, 2014
U guys can add me up on watsapp
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 11:42am On Nov 16, 2014
zicjoe:
the latter is beta. wic do you prefer?
Cool with either. Just give me some time to develop a study plan. I will update this post before the end of today.
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 12:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
blueyedgeek:
Cool with either. Just give me some time to develop a study plan. I will update this post before the end of today.
k. Waiting.....
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
Javascript study plan for Advanced Newbies.

Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS (you should be able to at least whip up a static web page or something similar) and a desire to learn and improve on what you already know.

Duration: I wanted to set a time-frame but decided not to as that might just hurt the learning process if we try to rush things. We are going to take it slow and steady but if we are to set a time frame to get up and running then 4 weeks should be enough to get the basic concepts nailed down. Learning never really ends as we must keep learning to stay at the top of our game.

Signing Up: A group will be created on whatsapp specifically for this study group. Signing up is really easy, all you have to do is indicate your interest in this thread and drop your number and you will be added to the group. We shall be using the group and this thread for discussions related to the subject of study -- javascript. (HTML & CSS are also allowed but the main focus is on javascript). This thread will be the main discussion area and the whatsapp group is supplemental.

Additional information:
1. Programming is hard!! those that came before you had to sweat it out before they became good at what they do so do not get frustrated if you find some things hard to comprehend or find yourself struggling. Just keep plugging away and your efforts will be rewarded. We are also here to help each other and we should be asking any questions we have here or in the group.

2. We will be having assignments each week and we are expected to drop our solutions + questions here for vetting, correction etc....

Study Guide

We are going to start with the basics (for those of us who already know a thing or two, this will just be like a refresher).

BASICS/REFRESHER (required)
Read the articles on the following links to get a feel for what JavaScript is and why it is useful.

1. Getting started with Javascript - MDN
2. Programming, the real basics - Webplatform
3. Javascript best practices - Webplatform

NOTE: If you are an absolute newbie to JavaScript (and maybe html and css) and you feel like the articles above are not enough to get you started then you should visit [url=http"//www.codecademy.com]Codecademy[/url]. Codecademy is a site that teaches you how to code using various languages, the site is pretty interactive and their lessons are concise and straight to the point. Create an account and work through their JavaScript track, it should take about 10 hours to complete if you put in enough effort but you can go as slow as you want and take as much time as you need to complete it. Alternatively, if you are totally new to the world of web development, you shouldn't be starting with JavaScript, you should as well create an account on Codecademy and work through their HTML / CSS track. That should get you up and running.

WEEK ONE
This is where the real fun starts. We are going to be using the book Eloquent JavaScript for this study guide.

Download book here.

There is an online version of the book available at eloquentjavascript.net which is really useful if you want to use the code sandbox that comes with the book.

The book comes with 21 chapters and we are going to be splitting the reading into bits and pieces.

REQUIRED READING

*** Read this article to get warmed up A re-introduction to JavaScript -MDN

*** Read the introduction as well as chapters 1 and 2 of Eloquent JavaScript

ASSIGNMENT

*** Solve one out of the three exercises in chapter two of Eloquent JavaScript (try to solve them yourself before looking at the answers, it is more rewarding). If you are feeling like such a JavaScript ninja, go ahead and solve all three.

*** Solve this problem using JavaScript:

If we list all the natural numbers below 10 that are multiples of 3 or 5, we get 3, 5, 6 and 9. The sum of these multiples is 23.

Find the sum of all the multiples of 3 or 5 below 1000.

Source

FINAL NOTES
You can post your solutions on JsFiddle and post the link here or in the group to be created (post your number here to be added).

If you have any questions to ask, feel free to post them here.

At the beginning of a new week, this post will be updated with new weekly tasks so you might have to keep checking this post for updates.

tag: @zicjoe, @chimanet
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2014
k. 08100826650. nt frequently on whatsapp tho. wil do the above.
Re: Javascript Study Group by Chimanet(m): 6:11pm On Nov 17, 2014
Very Good excercise, I think I will try dis one dis night
Re: Javascript Study Group by zicjoe(m): 6:04pm On Nov 22, 2014
Re: Javascript Study Group by blueyedgeek(m): 8:36am On Nov 24, 2014
@Zicjoe, @Chimanet, I won't be able to continue with this study guide for some time due to something that came up but this should't deter you from learning. Please, visit this link and follow their guide Learn Javascript

Will pickup later. Good luck guys.
Re: Javascript Study Group by lrichierichman: 1:34pm On Nov 24, 2014
blueyedgeek:

I'm all for learning something at the end of the day so you get a thumbs up.

you can learn not just to get thumbs up but also to build ur resume and career...u can take onine exams nd get accredited with a certificate..u can get accredited in dis site...http://www.ncsacademy.com/default.cfm?ref=14052
Re: Javascript Study Group by lrichierichman: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
davidsmith8900:

I just did. An App Challenge for ways in which technology can help our society.

i believe that if we take up the app challenge and start working on it with full concerntration i am 80% sure that we will get a business idea in process to complete the challenge...Zuckerberg neva planned to use facebook for business not untill he completed it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Average Salary Of A Php Programmer In Lagos / Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? / Keywords / Reserved word In Q-BASIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.