Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,605 members, 7,827,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

(N 2.4 Trillion civil war compensation)Do Igbo Truly Deserve This Reparation? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (N 2.4 Trillion civil war compensation)Do Igbo Truly Deserve This Reparation? (752 Views)

Northern Delegates Fault Igbo's N2.4tn Reparation Demand / Igbos Write Jonathan, Demand N2.4 Trillion Reparation For Civil War Killings / Igbos Write Jonathan, Demand N2.4 Trillion Reparation For Civil War Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(N 2.4 Trillion civil war compensation)Do Igbo Truly Deserve This Reparation? by mandarin: 4:37pm On Jul 15, 2014
http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/164928-igbos-write-jonathan-demand-n2-4-trillion-reparation-for-civil-war-killings.html?wpmp_tp=1

I read with utmost interest the story in the above link if true(because a whole lots aren't in Nigeria) would make an interesting intellectual discourse but the thread on which I found it has been taken over by ethnocentric wards. Please I need intellectual contributions here and let me first state my position.
For those who were around then, a whole lots of stories abound on who did what and today, the news is about compensation. I hate war,especially when such is fought on unjust causes but could there ever be justifiocation for war? may be yes or no.For instance is there justification for Israel to attack Gaza when its own children are being kidnapped and murdered and missiles are being sent to its civilian areas, may be yes may be no, the answer depends on your perspective I guess. What about 1948 war and all the following uprising that followed? many questions than answers I guess.
To however have a better perspective on the Nigerian case is to trace the political history of Nigeria. A pre independent Nigeria brought to the fore many shades of differences between the various major groups but something was achieved; a joint independence from Britain! Great wasn't it?
But it came at a price to the nation because those leaders could not come up with acceptable political structure but managed to keep the system together until certain Aguiyi Ironsi unified the whole system and shifted the ancient and his comteporary landmark. What did we have since then? the birth of ethnicity and religion, a demon that was asleep during the time of the fathers. Many groups excused themselves to justify their violence and the result of a long dark years of murder by both sides in a resulting civil war is still being referenced, yeah, we will continue to talk about it.
Every war is borne out of the selfishness of any one person or groups, either the selfishness of an oppressor or that of the prosecutor of the war. The question to me is what was the consensus of those who brought Nigeria together and how were they not able to redress their differences?
I once read an economic view on Nigeria political economy where someone wrote that before oil and gas became Nigeria the largest source of income for Nigeria, the Eastern Region(including South-south today) allied with the North to benefit from the Cocoa and ports income from the Western Region to enjoy their own share and since the oonset of oil and gas there has been a shift of West and North to benefit.Also, watching Aljezera French exploit in Africa, one can at least draw some conclusion that economic gains rather than ethno-religion reasons has impacted the spate of war in Africa though such gains are sighted to profit a few but take a toll on the unguarded majority who are whisped into the army to fight a war that has no immediate or even future glory.
The same is the cae for Nigeria and I wish to state that everyone that had suffered in war should be reparated, including those who's families were drafted into the military, those who lost relatives, those whose towns were destroyed on both sides of the divide, those people whose resources were also used in funding the war because such would have been used to develop some sectors!!
Activities leading to the civil war would conviniently place the blame on both sides and in war, winning is the ultimate thing especially civil war that are often brutal with no riules of engagements.
I support that people should be compensated but its not restricted to those who lost, what about those that borne the burden of victory?
Re: (N 2.4 Trillion civil war compensation)Do Igbo Truly Deserve This Reparation? by tobtap: 5:12pm On Jul 15, 2014
america government did not pay reparation to the american south that wage a civil war ,so the ibos dont deserve a kobo from nigeria inform of reparation.the ibos have been fully integrated into nigeria.
Re: (N 2.4 Trillion civil war compensation)Do Igbo Truly Deserve This Reparation? by sarmiie(m): 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2014
Do dey deserve compensation?? YES
should they be given??
NOT UNLESS WE WANT TO GIVE THE NORTH TOO......

Besides, who will be given d compensation?? D families of ordinary men who fought, died and r unremembered??
Re: (N 2.4 Trillion civil war compensation)Do Igbo Truly Deserve This Reparation? by jayrule(m): 12:06am On Jul 16, 2014
If Nigerians think the compensation of the North East for the damages caused by the Boko Haram sect. is necessary, then the Igbos and other affected areas in the SS during the Civil War must be compensated. Any welcomed form of criticism by bigotry will only lead to gibberish arguments and unwarranted stupidity. If the SE makes this demand and on behalf of their affected brethren in the SS ... Fold your arms and watch!

(1) (Reply)

Insecurity In Nigeria; Even Children Are Now Suspects (photo) / The Words Daft And Clueless / Benghazi Declared ‘islamic Emirate’ By Militants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.