Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195834 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 8:11pm On Oct 09, 2014
gameboi:
Passing chords are like links between two or more chords. Some of them either give a calm and soothing sound while others give a rash sound. An instance is that Cmaj- Bbmaj9- Fmajor progression I posted earlier. The Bbmaj9 is actually a passing chord.

How about giving like two more examples so that I may know much about passing chords. smiley wink
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 10:07pm On Oct 09, 2014
Karleb:

How about giving like two more examples so that I may know much about passing chords. smiley wink
I'll give instances of songs where passing chords were used.
1. Kirk Frankiln- Now behold the lamb{Bbmaj}: Fmajor Dmajor Gminor(that I may Live again).
2. Joyous celebration-In the shadow{Cmajor}: Dminor Dmajor Gmajor.(Confusion and Fear)
NB: the Notes in the curly brackets indicate the Key in which the song was played. The notes that are bolded indicate the passing chords. The words in square bracket indicate the place in the song's Lyrics where such passing chords were used.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 10:48pm On Oct 09, 2014
gameboi:
I'll give instances of songs where passing chords were used.
1. Kirk Frankiln- Now behold the lamb{Bbmaj}: Fmajor Dmajor Gminor(that I may Live again).
2. Joyous celebration-In the shadow{Cmajor}: Dminor Dmajor Gmajor.(Confusion and Fear)
NB: the Notes in the curly brackets indicate the Key in which the song was played. The notes that are bolded indicate the passing chords. The words in square bracket indicate the place in the song's Lyrics where such passing chords were used.

Why am I having the feelings that this passing chords things is wider than it seems?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 6:52am On Oct 10, 2014
Karleb:

Why am I having the feelings that this passing chords things is wider than it seems?
Yeah! It is. There are passing chords when moving from the V - IV, II-V, III-VI, I-IV etc. These ones are the basics.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 7:09am On Oct 10, 2014
gameboi:
Yeah! It is. There are passing chords when moving from the V - IV, II-V, III-VI, I-IV etc. These ones are the basics.

yeah! The basics!

Let's do the basics!?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 10:00am On Oct 10, 2014
Karleb:

yeah! The basics!

Let's do the basics!?
1. V-IV(Cmaj)=> [Gmaj]-[Dmin]-[Fmajor]
2. II - V(Cmaj)=> [Dmin]-[Dmajor]-[Gmaj]
3. III- VI(Cmaj)=> [Emin]-[Emaj]-[Amin]
4. I- IV(Cmaj)=> [Cmaj]-[Bbmaj]-[Fmaj].
These are the few I can think of for now. I'll formulate the rest of these passing chords and post them here when I come in contact with any keyboard. I've not been playing and practising for weeks.
By the way, what's your favorite key?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
gameboi:

These are the few I can think of for now. I'll formulate the rest of these passing chords and post them here when I come in contact with any keyboard. I've not been playing and practising for weeks.

F major of all time! I can even play it with my eyes closed. undecided
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 5:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
Karleb:

F major of all time! I can even play it with my eyes closed. undecided
okay. Very Common.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 5:30pm On Oct 10, 2014
gameboi:
okay. Very Common.

You mean it's common for beginners to very familiar with key fmajor?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 5:55pm On Oct 10, 2014
Karleb:

You mean it's common for beginners to very familiar with key fmajor?
Not only beginners. Many keyboardists prefer to play in Fmajor.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 6:05pm On Oct 10, 2014
gameboi:
Not only beginners. Many keyboardists prefer to play in Fmajor.

Just when I thought I was alone. cheesy

ssooooo, is fmajor your favorite key?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:44pm On Oct 10, 2014
gameboi:

(1)Have you tried this on key of C while moving from III-VI chord,you play Bdim-(Emin#5#9)-F#dim7-G#dim7-(Amin7), F# & G#dim7 are accidental passing chords.(2)Apart from using dim & tritones as passing chords,can one replace them for the main chords,for instance,instead of playing G major(G-D-G//G-B-D) one substitute for its tritone(F-B//E-A-C#) or (F-B//A-D-F#) as the case may be(ie LH//RH).(3) what makes a chord have a dissonant sound for instance,the chord I'm should stay on is G(ie "soh" for key C) but I hear a dissonant,weird sound coming out instead of the very common,harmonious sound we use to hear,what do you think the keyboardist added to the chord to make it dissonant,& please don't tell he added a dom7 or maj7 bc I may not agree,I hope you understand my contributions as well as questions.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:47pm On Oct 10, 2014
Dramadiddy:
well i agree...wat sounds good might nt sound good to me
(1)Have you tried this on key of C while moving from III-VI chord,you play Bdim-(Emin#5#9)-F#dim7-G#dim7-(Amin7), F# & G#dim7 are accidental passing chords.(2)Apart from using dim & tritones as passing chords,can one replace them for the main chords,for instance,instead of playing G major(G-D-G//G-B-D) one substitute for its tritone(F-B//E-A-C#) or (F-B//A-D-F#) as the case may be(ie LH//RH).(3) what makes a chord have a dissonant sound for instance,the chord I'm should stay on is G(ie "soh" for key C) but I hear a dissonant,weird sound coming out instead of the very common,harmonious sound we use to hear,what do you think the keyboardist added to the chord to make it dissonant,& please don't tell he added a dom7 or maj7 bc I may not agree,I hope you understand my contributions as well as questions.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
Ur second question...yes...but that wud not apply to dim chords...no matter the degree you place dem on...tritone, well it can work on the 1 well, if you place it on another degree...it would demand resolution...same applies to dim chords...abt the dissonance...u shd understand dt its the alteration of ttensions that cause the dissonance...now at first i used to think that the way to form a tritone out of any chord wud be to use the formula 3 b7//the major chord or whatever chord u intended forming...but later on..i learnt that...not every chord has a tritone in it...u knw a tritone is 1-#4/b5...if you know hw chords r formed u will knw dat nt every chord has a tritone in it...he might have added another chord entirely that has a tritone...if u had a voice note, i wud have helped u out
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:22pm On Oct 10, 2014
After the concert holding in my church, I'll compile a lesson on how to form chords..I can't do that now cos I have a lot at hand
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:40pm On Oct 10, 2014
Dramadiddy:
Ur second question...yes...but that wud not apply to dim chords...no matter the degree you place dem on...tritone, well it can work on the 1 well, if you place it on another degree...it would demand resolution...same applies to dim chords...abt the dissonance...u shd understand dt its the alteration of ttensions that cause the dissonance...now at first i used to think that the way to form a tritone out of any chord wud be to use the formula 3 b7//the major chord or whatever chord u intended forming...but later on..i learnt that...not every chord has a tritone in it...u knw a tritone is 1-#4/b5...if you know hw chords r formed u will knw dat nt every chord has a tritone in it...he might have added another chord entirely that has a tritone...if u had a voice note, i wud have helped u out
Then you didn't get my question well,but I guess you really need to understand what a tritone is,every degree has a tritone and tritones are formed out of scale (of the key) you are playing,not out of the chord.I wouldn't go further bc u didn't seem to get the question well,any other person in the forum can try answering...
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:46pm On Oct 10, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
Then you didn't get my question well,but I guess you really need to understand what a tritone is,every degree has a tritone,I wouldn't go further bc u didn't seem to get the question well,any other person in the forum can try answering...
every degree not every chord hope u read what i wrote nt just skimming
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
Dramadiddy:
every degree not every chord hope u read what i wrote nt just skimming
tritones are formed out of scales of the key u r playing and not out of the chord you are playing,your statement is somewhat misleading,how can u form tritone out of a chord,you can only do that when the chord has a 3rd and a dom7 in it. Can u write out a tritone that has no 3rd n dom7 for me,there isn't,there are 6 tritones ie 2keys can share the same tritone like B & F,F# & C etc,never try forming tritone out of a chord that has no 3rd n 7th bc that wouldn't be called a tritone & ie y u r saying some chords lack tritone(which I would want u to explain what u mean by this)
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:22pm On Oct 10, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
tritones are formed out of scales of the key u r playing and not out of the chord you are playing,your statement is somewhat misleading,how can u form tritone out of a chord,you can only do that when the chord has a 3rd and a dom7 in it. Can u write out a tritone that has no 3rd n dom7 for me,there isn't,there are 6 tritones ie 2keys can share the same tritone like B & F,F# & C etc,never try forming tritone out of a chord that has no 3rd n 7th bc that wouldn't be called a tritone & ie y u r saying some chords lack tritone(which I would want u to explain what u mean by this)
okay...now your definition of tritone is slightly wrong...a tritone is formed by the 1 and an augmented fourth...now, that being established...there are a lot of chords in music..these chords...can be broken down and rearranged to produce different sounds...now we r gonna take the chord min9b5..on C...if we r to play this chord in its default position, it is C Eb G Bb D Gb...now notice that this is a minor chord...but the notes of this chord can be joined together to form different things out of which I took Gb and C(which is a tritone)...from Gb to C is an augmented fourth interval...now i'll show you another chord which doesnt have a tritone in it...lets take min11...im using minors cos all dominants have a tritone cos of the 3 and b7...now back to min11...on C, a min11 is C Eb G Bb D F...now look at the notes of this chord and see if you can get any augmented fourth in it...no!...thats just how it is..u cant force this min11 to have a tritone,although it has a crazy sound...not all crazy sounds are tritones...if u study chords u ll understand...I guess i ll upload a tutorial on how to form chords and u can take it from there..hope u get me now

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 12:54am On Oct 11, 2014
Karleb:

Just when I thought I was alone. cheesy

ssooooo, is fmajor your favorite key?
No. My favourite are the black Keys(C#, Eb, F#, G#, Bb).
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 1:14am On Oct 11, 2014
gameboi:
No. My favourite are the black Keys(C#, Eb, F#, G#, Bb).

I actually have a thing for F# though and C# always come in handy.

Btw, Can we talk about tritones pls.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:12am On Oct 11, 2014
Dramadiddy:
okay...now your definition of tritone is slightly wrong...a tritone is formed by the 1 and an augmented fourth...now, that being established...there are a lot of chords in music..these chords...can be broken down and rearranged to produce different sounds...now we r gonna take the chord min9b5..on C...if we r to play this chord in its default position, it is C Eb G Bb D Gb...now notice that this is a minor chord...but the notes of this chord can be joined together to form different things out of which I took Gb and C(which is a tritone)...from Gb to C is an augmented fourth interval...now i'll show you another chord which doesnt have a tritone in it...lets take min11...im using minors cos all dominants have a tritone cos of the 3 and b7...now back to min11...on C, a min11 is C Eb G Bb D F...now look at the notes of this chord and see if you can get any augmented fourth in it...no!...thats just how it is..u cant force this min11 to have a tritone,although it has a crazy sound...not all crazy sounds are tritones...if u study chords u ll understand...I guess i ll upload a tutorial on how to form chords and u can take it from there..hope u get me now
Don't upload a tutorial bc u don't seem to understand it,the way u r thinking is different from mine,I understand everything you are writing well,I never asked or said all crazy sounds are tritone,and mind you,a 1 and aug4 is d same as (3 and dom7) of a particular key,in ur first chord u had a 3rd and dom7 of the key of D(Gb-C),but in your second chord,there's no combination that can give u a 3rd and dom7th of any key,ie why u can't have a tritone there,not every chord has a tritone(everybody understands that,and its weird to think of forming tritone after you must have formed the chord) your thinking is different from mine & ie why you run into problems. Let d case rest, @Gameboi pls can u answer the initial question bc @dramadidy isn't getting the initial question I asked instead he wants to lecture me on sth I knew already and didn't ask for...**smile**
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 7:50am On Oct 11, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
Don't upload a tutorial bc u don't seem to understand it,the way u r thinking is different from mine,I understand everything you are writing well,I never asked or said all crazy sounds are tritone,and mind you,a 1 and aug4 is d same as (3 and dom7) of a particular key,in ur first chord u had a 3rd and dom7 of the key of D(Gb-C),but in your second chord,there's no combination that can give u a 3rd and dom7th of any key,ie why u can't have a tritone there,not every chord has a tritone(everybody understands that,and its weird to think of forming tritone after you must have formed the chord) your thinking is different from mine & ie why you run into problems. Let d case rest, @Gameboi pls can u answer the initial question bc @dramadidy isn't getting the initial question I asked instead he wants to lecture me on sth I knew already and didn't ask for...**smile**
Lol...you have to change the way you think though..lol so now you understand why not every chord has a tritone, but in your former post, you were sooooo sure that no chord doesnt have a tritone, lol now youre here saying everybody understand..I'm done answering you, not that I'm angry but you don't seem to understand so go and meet someone that will make you understand the same thing I said wink
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 7:52am On Oct 11, 2014
How to form chords!!!!!

In harmony, we get to learn about chords, in chords we get to learn about their extensions and alterations. First you have to understand the numbering system :

C-1, D-2, E-3, F-4, G-5, A-6, B-7, C-8
Now having knowing this, it is also important to note that, an extension goes beyond the major scale. That would mean if I continue counting, I'll have C-8, D-9, E-10, F-11, etc. In formation of chords, you have to know your sevenths, maj7, min7, dom7 and so on..you cannot have extended chords without sevenths. Having said that, there are terms (tensions and alterations) as their names imply, tensions are sounds that demand resolution, alterations are just the twisting of tensions. Now there are only 3 tensions : 9 11 13

And 6 alterations : b9, #9,#11, b5,#5,b13

Now you might be wondering how does this apply to making up chords. Let me draw your attention back to the the major scale, I'm gonna represent all the alterations and tensions with their equivalent notes.

C-1, D-2, E-3, F-4, G-5, A-6, B-7, C-8, Db-b9, D-9, Eb-#9, F-11, F#-#11/b5, G#-#5, A-13. (Note that #5,b5 are special alterations, can be used anywhere)

Now once you have understood all these, all you have to do is play the "permutation and combination" game. Lets take a maj7 for example, try adding all the possible 9's and the special alterations...err lets see, We'll have maj9, majb9, maj#9,maj9#5,majb9#5, maj#9#5,maj9b5,majb9b5, maj#9b5, etc...Woooww I just formed 9 chords in secondsss!!!...all im just doing is rearranging all the tensions and alterations..and definitely they are gonna give me different sounds...you can try the same with dominant chords, minor and others, pls feel free to ask any questions
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 8:06am On Oct 11, 2014
Dramadiddy:
Lol...you have to change the way you think though..lol so now you understand why not every chord has a tritone, but in your former post, you were sooooo sure that no chord doesnt have a tritone, lol now youre here saying everybody understand..I'm done answering you, not that I'm angry but you don't seem to understand so go and meet someone that will make you understand the same thing I said wink
I never said anything about all "chords" having tritone,re read my posts,I only cautioned you of using chords to form tritone,I only talked about all "degrees" having tritone and that tritones are built from "scales",please take note & I don't expect you to be angry for nothing.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:13am On Oct 11, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
I never said anything about all "chords" having tritone,re read my posts,I only cautioned you of using chords to form tritone,I only talked about all "degrees" having tritone and that tritones are built from "scales",please take note & I don't expect you to be angry for nothing.
You said so...not saying tritone...but "3 and b7", you said theres no chord that doesnt have it and I shocked you to say, not every chord has a tritone..and youre nt even supposed to be referring to degrees having tritone, its the chord that has the tritone "in it" not the degree...and what tritones are built from scales?...well you said you understand everything i wrote...if you dont ask not that you just say i mislead...i thought about what i wrote and if m nt sure i ld just back off
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 8:24am On Oct 11, 2014
Dramadiddy:
You said so...not saying tritone...but "3 and b7", you said theres no chord that doesnt have it and I shocked you to say, not every chord has a tritone..and youre nt even supposed to be referring to degrees having tritone, its the chord that has the tritone "in it" not the degree...and what tritones are built from scales?...well you said you understand everything i wrote...if you dont ask not that you just say i mislead...i thought about what i wrote and if m nt sure i ld just back off
bro relax,it's ok
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 8:25am On Oct 11, 2014
Dramadiddy:
bro relax,I'm a bit busy,can't read you anymore,it's ok,you won!!!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:29am On Oct 11, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
bro relax,I'm a bit busy,can't read you anymore,it's ok,you won!!!
lol
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 4:53am On Oct 12, 2014
Karleb:

I actually have a thing for F# though and C# always come in handy.

Btw, Can we talk about tritones pls.
I hope you didn't see the previous post. I wasn't referring to you. By the way, you asked of tritones. Just observe dramadiddy and Giannakoupolos' post. I'll give mine later when I get back from church.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:54am On Oct 12, 2014
gameboi:
I didn't really understand you. Do you mean tritones for scales or chords?
U didnt ans Giannakopoulos' question
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 8:19am On Oct 12, 2014
Dramadiddy:
U didnt ans Giannakopoulos' question
Lolz. See me oh! I quoted Karleb rather than giannakoupolos. I was feeling sleepy at that time. Thanks for Notifying me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.