Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,726 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195400 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Isholaoni: 2:41pm On Jun 01, 2016
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!

Ebenz Media

Presents

June Promo For All Upcoming Artiste

Let's help you record that hit song of yours for just #9000 and get benefits like free promotion on facebook and twitter,bbm and whatsapp broadcast,access to put your song in MTN Music Plus inorder to make cash from the downloads of your song at no cost.

Interested artistes should contact Ishola on 07032617747 or ping 2915230E for bookings.

NOTE

This bonanza ends by tomorrow 30th of June,2016.

You can also contact us on 07032617747 or ping 2915230E for;

¤ Song Writing

¤ Advert Placements on all platforms

¤ Mixing and mastering

¤ Creation of beat or instrumental

¤Voice over

¤DJ Jingles

¤ Caller tune, Radio/Tv promotion, Alaba mixtape/selection and Online promotion such as itunes,amazon,cloud 9,naijaloaded,notjustok and other blog sites

¤ Video editing, Video shooting/Coverage

¤ Training on music production

¤ Training on any musical instrument of your choice

¤Voice Training

¤ Graphics/Art Cover

¤ Website/Blog Creation

¤ Logo Designs

¤ Creation of artist page/business page,and all other entertainment services at very cheap and affordable prices you can't resist...We are here to render to you the best of quality service. All services are cheap and affordable. Try us and you'll be glad you did...powered by ‪#‎Ebenzmedia
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Jeremiah360: 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Please can some one help me with the chords of praise him in advance by marvin sapp? Please can some one help me with the chords of praise him in advance by marvin sapp?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 4:51am On Jun 07, 2016
Latest Advance Piano Tutorial Course by Johnsonkeyz...
Mail me now for your Copy
Segunoluremi2011@yahoo.com
Insatgram: @johnsonkeyz
God bless

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 10:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
Jeremiah360:
Please can some one help me with the chords of praise him in advance by marvin sapp? Please can some one help me with the chords of praise him in advance by marvin sapp?

It's pretty simple, you can figure it out, just listen to the song a number of times and you'll get the gist of it.

Unfortunately I score mainly K-Bond's songs almost exclusively, not really a fan of Lindsey.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 12:09am On Jun 09, 2016
Feelingfree:

Thanks again for ur explanation on tritones and application.

My QUESTION today is tips/exercises on how to add bass runs/licks while playing bass line progressions for gospel on keyboard eg while playing circle of fourths

This is to help fill spaces and avoid sitting too long on a single bass

I hope the question is clear

Expecting ur reply earnestly

Been thinking about your question (and how best to answer it well grin)...

I'm not a keyboardist but primarily a pianist (in fact, a classical pianist sef, not even gospel or jazz etc), so I don't really play in that style so much these days, using the LH to play bass only. I'll try to do justice to your question though

What I can say is, try to use your LH to emulate the way a world-class bass guitarist would sound in whichever style of music you're interested in

Some tips:

One thing about bass is that it incorporates RHYTHM as well as the progression or bass line. So don't just use one finger to hit one note, make it rhythmic

Also, as you mentioned, use the cycle of 4ths/5ths frequently (many progressions utilise this). If you have a target note, like fah for instance, you can quickly play s-d then land in fah

Use tritone substitutes occasionally e.g. instead of r-s-d you play r-de-d (or r-s-de-d), t-m-l becomes t-ta-l (or t-m-ta-l)... especially if the harmony suggests it e.g. when playing altered dominant 7ths. Veeeery jazzy, handle with care

If you're hitting one single note in several bars, like a constant doh for example (in music theory this is called a pedal point or a 'basso ostinato'), you can vary it a lil'. By adding the dominant note (soh) in-between, making it rhythmic also depending on the style of the music

In modern gospel, the PENTATONIC scale is used a lot in bass progressions. Again, if you're hitting one constant bass note like doh, you can do stuff like d-s-l-d.... d-l-s-d... d-s-l-s-d... d-re-m-s-l-d

You can always go CHROMATICALLY into a target bass note either from above or below: d (r-re-m) f (l-ta-t) d is a typical up-tempo gospel progression

Consider this progression from the Jackson-5 (yep, I'm very old school smiley )
in 'I Want You Back'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prfUzZU1oKw

d..r-m-s-l-f..r-m-f-fe-s-se-l - m - f - d..r - s - d

Here's the breakdown:

d

r-m-s-l (pentatonic scale on doh)

f

r-m-f-fe-s-se (diatonic (r-m-f), then chromatically going to the target note lah)

l-m-f-d (fourths intervals l-m and f-d)

r-s-d. (2-5-1)

Don't forget the rhythm of this progression as well as the notes. This goes for any bass line you play in any style, let your LH feel the rhythm and play it as such.

My two kobo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Kayzdon: 1:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
let the music gurus in the house please help me with praise songs solfas. both english and yoruba. C.A.C and some beautiful chord progressions.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 09, 2016
I have recently bought a lesson from jamal hartwell for keyboardist and i created a whatsapp group so join my group and lets learn from each other add me 07086740935
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 09, 2016
!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Crownylord(m): 10:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
Jeremiah360:
check old pages of this thread u will find it. Bt heres my mine.
Db/f.Bb.c.f
Eb/f#.Bb.Db.f#
f/Ab.Db.Eb.
F#/Bb.Db.Bb
A.F#.A/C.Eb.F#.A
Bb.f.Bb/Db.F.Ab.Db
Bb.f.Bb/Db.F.Ab.Db
A.f#.A/Eb.F#.A.C
Ab/f.Bb.Db.f
g/f.Bb.Db.F
Eb>Ab/Eb.Ab.C.Eb
c>Db/Db.F.Ab.Db
LH/RH
> signifies a quick succession to d next to i.e from Eb to Ab.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Crownylord(m): 10:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
Jeremiah360:
check old pages of this thread u will find it. Bt heres my mine.
Db/f.Bb.c.f
Eb/f#.Bb.Db.f#
f/Ab.Db.Eb.
F#/Bb.Db.Bb
A.F#.A/C.Eb.F#.A
Bb.f.Bb/Db.F.Ab.Db
Bb.f.Bb/Db.F.Ab.Db
A.f#.A/Eb.F#.A.C
Ab/f.Bb.Db.f
g/f.Bb.Db.F
Eb>Ab/Eb.Ab.C.Eb
c>Db/Db.F.Ab.Db
LH/RH
> signifies a quick succession to d next to i.e from Eb to Ab. This is d intro tho if u knw d intro well, u'll be able to play thru d entire song.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Crownylord(m): 11:01pm On Jun 11, 2016
pharmsamy:
Can anyone help me with the solfa notes of oghene doh by Frank edwards
which part? the intro or where. Anyway dis is the intro m d m d m d. m f m r m d m d m d m f s s d. d r m. t d r .l t d. l s f m.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by abolem369(m): 1:24pm On Jun 15, 2016
A new gospel music recording studio in osogbo requires the service of a gospel music producer or a studio engineer. Call for enquiries-07063094026. Spread the word.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 11:13pm On Jun 15, 2016
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by vicechancellor(m): 11:57pm On Jun 18, 2016
fellow keyboardists, who can help me with any enlightening piano video tutorial. of any genre.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by monabass: 11:39pm On Jul 19, 2016
SaintAlbert53:
I play all kind of songs,bt can't play makossa very well without the help of bass guitar
And I am a bassist that loves makossa music especially with those lead lines
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by monabass: 11:53pm On Jul 19, 2016
Hey guys, I'm a bassist and I need a church to play or a group. Anyone with useful information please contact 08169985876
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by kombo(m): 6:37pm On Jul 20, 2016
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 9:45am On Jul 24, 2016
Hello guys, happy Sunday to you!

I briefly wanna share with you the idea of clean, open voicings today.

If you've ever wondered why and how some of the piano playing you hear on gospel tracks (even in many R$B songs) sound very sweet, one of the secrets behind them lies in the use of cleaned out, open chord voicings.

In these voicings, the notes in them are usually spread out in wider intervals, usually intervals higher than a major third, unlike what you have in triads.
A lot of fourths (e.g. quartal voicings), fifths, sixths, sevenths, open octaves, and also wide, 'phat' left hand tenths usually feature in them.
They are usually good for worship songs, where they help to create a good atmosphere.

I'll show you an example of a short intro to the song 'In The Sanctuary' (played by Kevin Bond back in the day), note for note!
Study the voicings and emulate them in your playing as much as possible, and you'll start to see the difference.

Key of Db (you can transpose it into other keys in the vicinity of Db e.g. A,Bb,B,C,D,Eb,E,F), melody in bold.

LH/RH (name of chord on key Db)

d r
l /s t d m (Bbm9)
s
r d/l d f (Ebm7)
m
t r s/s r (Ab/C)
s
d m s/s m (Db)
m r s/r s r (Fm7)
l s/d s d (Bbm7)
m
r l f/d f (Ebm7)
l
t r/l r s (Ab2/C)
f
d d'/s d m (Db)
m t r/s l r (Fm11)

Enjoy!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 9:12am On Jul 29, 2016
Loluores:

If you've ever wondered why and how some of the piano playing you hear on gospel tracks (even in many R$B songs) sound very sweet, one of the secrets behind them lies in the use of cleaned out, open chord voicings.

In these voicings, the notes in them are usually spread out in wider intervals, usually intervals higher than a major third, unlike what you have in triads.
A lot of fourths (e.g. quartal voicings), fifths, sixths, sevenths, open octaves, and also wide, 'phat' left hand tenths usually feature in them.
They are usually good for worship songs, where they help to create a good atmosphere.

I'll show you an example of a short intro to the song 'In The Sanctuary' (played by Kevin Bond back in the day), note for note!
Study the voicings and emulate them in your playing as much as possible, and you'll start to see the difference.

Key of Db (you can transpose it into other keys in the vicinity of Db e.g. A,Bb,B,C,D,Eb,E,F), melody in bold.

d r
l /s t d m (Bbm9)
s
r d/l d f (Ebm7)
m
t r s/s r (Ab/C)
s
d m s/s m (Db)
m r s/r s r (Fm7)
l s/d s d (Bbm7)
m
r l f/d f (Ebm7)
l
t r/l r s (Ab2/C)
f
d d'/s d m (Db)
m t r/s l r (Fm11)

Enjoy!
I really enjoyed this. Please can you keep more of it coming?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 7:14am On Aug 02, 2016
vicechancellor:
fellow keyboardists, who can help me with any enlightening piano video tutorial. of any genre.
check out quennel gaskin, Jason white, Jonathan Powell, Jamal Hartwell, etc
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Goroz: 6:02pm On Aug 02, 2016
Loluores:

Been thinking about your question (and how best to answer it well grin)...

I'm not a keyboardist but primarily a pianist (in fact, a classical pianist sef, not even gospel or jazz etc), so I don't really play in that style so much these days, using the LH to play bass only. I'll try to do justice to your question though

What I can say is, try to use your LH to emulate the way a world-class bass guitarist would sound in whichever style of music you're interested in

Some tips:

One thing about bass is that it incorporates RHYTHM as well as the progression or bass line. So don't just use one finger to hit one note, make it rhythmic

Also, as you mentioned, use the cycle of 4ths/5ths frequently (many progressions utilise this). If you have a target note, like fah for instance, you can quickly play s-d then land in fah

Use tritone substitutes occasionally e.g. instead of r-s-d you play r-de-d (or r-s-de-d), t-m-l becomes t-ta-l (or t-m-ta-l)... especially if the harmony suggests it e.g. when playing altered dominant 7ths. Veeeery jazzy, handle with care

If you're hitting one single note in several bars, like a constant doh for example (in music theory this is called a pedal point or a 'basso ostinato'), you can vary it a lil'. By adding the dominant note (soh) in-between, making it rhythmic also depending on the style of the music

In modern gospel, the PENTATONIC scale is used a lot in bass progressions. Again, if you're hitting one constant bass note like doh, you can do stuff like d-s-l-d.... d-l-s-d... d-s-l-s-d... d-re-m-s-l-d

You can always go CHROMATICALLY into a target bass noten either from above or below: d (r-re-m) f (l-ta-t) d is a typical up-tempo gospel progression

Consider this progression from the Jackson-5 (yep, I'm very old school smiley )
in 'I Want You Back'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prfUzZU1oKw

d..r-m-s-l-f..r-m-f-fe-s-se-l - m - f - d..r - s - d

Here's the breakdown:

d

r-m-s-l (pentatonic scale on doh)

f

r-m-f-fe-s-se (diatonic (r-m-f), then chromatically going to the target note lah)

l-m-f-d (fourths intervals l-m and f-d)

r-s-d. (2-5-1)

Don't forget the rhythm of this progression as well as the notes. This goes for any bass line you play in any style, let your LH feel the rhythm and play it as such.

My two kobo.
Are you a musicologist?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by MEGGATRON(m): 9:52am On Aug 03, 2016
Isholaoni:
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!

Ebenz Media

Presents

June Promo For All Upcoming Artiste

Let's help you record that hit song of yours for just #9000 and get benefits like free promotion on facebook and twitter,bbm and whatsapp broadcast,access to put your song in MTN Music Plus inorder to make cash from the downloads of your song at no cost.

Interested artistes should contact Ishola on 07032617747 or ping 2915230E for bookings.

NOTE

This bonanza ends by tomorrow 30th of June,2016.

You can also contact us on 07032617747 or ping 2915230E for;

¤ Song Writing

¤ Advert Placements on all platforms

¤ Mixing and mastering

¤ Creation of beat or instrumental

¤Voice over

¤DJ Jingles

¤ Caller tune, Radio/Tv promotion, Alaba mixtape/selection and Online promotion such as itunes,amazon,cloud 9,naijaloaded,notjustok and other blog sites

¤ Video editing, Video shooting/Coverage

¤ Training on music production

¤ Training on any musical instrument of your choice

¤Voice Training

¤ Graphics/Art Cover

¤ Website/Blog Creation

¤ Logo Designs

¤ Creation of artist page/business page,and all other entertainment services at very cheap and affordable prices you can't resist...We are here to render to you the best of quality service. All services are cheap and affordable. Try us and you'll be glad you did...powered by ‪#‎Ebenzmedia

A very good morning to boss, I'm sorry to have disturbed you,but you have to help me now.

The Mr nairaland contest is on,as a matter of fact,today is going to be the semi finals and I need you to help me vote falconey. I am writing you because I am trusting You.

the link to the voting thread is

https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final

voting starts 10am- 6pm

the voting format is "" I vote falconey Cc; NLjega"

Thanks so much Boss.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by MEGGATRON(m): 9:53am On Aug 03, 2016
Dramadiddy:
okay add me on whatsapp 08071395807

A very good morning to boss, I'm sorry to have disturbed you,but you have to help me now.

The Mr nairaland contest is on,as a matter of fact,today is going to be the semi finals and I need you to help me vote falconey. I am writing you because I am trusting You.

the link to the voting thread is

https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final

voting starts 10am- 6pm

the voting format is "" I vote falconey Cc; NLjega"

Thanks so much Boss.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 1:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
Goroz:

Are you a musicologist?

At all oh, I'm a scientist who likes music.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Goroz: 2:28pm On Aug 04, 2016
Loluores:

At all oh, I'm a scientist who likes music.

Well, I am. Strangely, you understand basic music theory
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2016
EzePromoe:

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, from time to time I'll put up some interesting ideas for taking different aspects of piano playing to the next level.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2016
Goroz:

Well, I am. Strangely, you understand basic music theory

Yeah, I've found that just basic musicianship is really the solution to most of our probs as creators of music,,, it's good to return to first principles from time to time.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
EzePromoe:

Loluores:

d r
l /s t d m (Bbm9)
s
r d/l d f (Ebm7)
m
t r s/s r (Ab/C)
s
d m s/s m (Db)
m r s/r s r (Fm7)
l s/d s d (Bbm7)
m
r l f/d f (Ebm7)
l
t r/l r s (Ab2/C)
f
d d'/s d m (Db)
m t r/s l r (Fm11)

Enjoy!

Happy Sunday once again!

For those of us who can read sheet music (or who are interested in sight-reading), I put together the chords of this song spelled out here, for y'all to be able to read it (or practise reading it), see picture below.

There's also a link online that has the sheet music of the first page of the song... you can compare both. Here:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0057275

Let's not lose sight (pun intentionally intended grin) of the ability to sight-read in this digital world we live in, cuz it's cool to be well-rounded as a musician.

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Goroz: 12:20pm On Aug 07, 2016
Loluores:

Yeah, I've found that just basic musicianship is really the solution to most of our probs as creators of music,,, it's good to return to first principles from time to time.

I guess you can also read sheet music

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.