Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,394 members, 7,954,574 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:04 PM

Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? (7730 Views)

The Girl- Child's Right Of Inheritance (in Igbo Land) / Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? / Custom Of Inheritance In Akwa Ibom And Cross River State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 16, 2014
No they shouldn't, people should work for their money rather than relying on their parent's sweat.

If their parents did nothing there would be nothing to inherit,
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Calebosko(m): 8:21am On Jul 16, 2014
i dont beleve on "na my papa get am or na my mama property," i beleve on my own swet and Gods givin blessing, wid my own propoerty i am d BOSS,no insult or watever,dats why i love Davido,he is a model....
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by djeoziv(m): 8:33am On Jul 16, 2014
...everybody saying they won't want their fathers property yet they expect connections from their parents....smh

Park well joor.... See me see wahala o.... If I see opportunity does that make me a lazy dude abi? shocked

I could take up my dad's business and grow it to a multinational.... That's no issue.... Besides thats what he send me to school for.... Why should I start afresh when a foundation has been laid. The most important thing is independence of productivity and self-growth/development.... Simply put, Would I do same if trnansfered anywhere in the world?

3 Likes

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by fijiano202(m): 8:45am On Jul 16, 2014
ElFenomeno1:
Lazy cow. You come across like someone who will do for. ......uck all if you had something left behind for your.
Thank God your grandparents are not Atiku or Babangida.
sharap joor if u work for my O.B.O boss for one week,am sure ur orientation will change
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by VantagePoint: 8:59am On Jul 16, 2014
fijiano202: Guy if my papa na babagida or atiku pls why would i stress myself for a useless job where my boss is freaking insultive
It would show that you have no substance, no value, no worth.
You won't be remembered for doing anything or making your OWN mark; just that person whose seeming achievement was his inheritance.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Revolva(m): 9:16am On Jul 16, 2014
Inheritance dey help o wetin u mean 0p say if my papa leave wealth for me make I no enjoy abi or add am to my own betterment
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by duby91(m): 9:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Anyways, for the ibos the family house is always left for the first son. this inheritance of a thing just makes one lazy and when a lazy person gets it, hardly do they ever improve or add to whats already been given to them. instead they just diminish whats there. As for me whether inheritance or no inheritance i don't even think i will need it cos i don't think of it. if they gimme fine, if they don't gimme fine.

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 16, 2014
As good as inheritance is, its always best to push yourself. Test your abilities and give yourself challenges. Even with inheritance, curiosity should arise if you can accomplish certain things or not. Its kinda like sharpening yourself, which is defo always an advantage. smiley. Oh and inheritance can always finish. How do you maintain it? Of course by taking my advise. smiley
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by fijiano202(m): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2014
VantagePoint:
It would show that you have no substance, no value, no worth.
You won't be remembered for doing anything or making your OWN mark; just that person whose seeming achievement was his inheritance.
ur a dumbo,honestly the likes of mohammed abacha,dantatas,niyi adebayo names will forever be remebered..with ur value,substance and worth u may never be noticed or remebered for ever..most of u will live out ur lives as average citizens and may not ever make upto 100 million till u die...if my dad is as rich as atiku or babagida my dream would be to expand and create my own company with a guarranteed capital...major prob most of our youths have is we dont accept reality...almost every youth in nigeria has a dream,vision and business idea but lack of capital is their prob,out of possible 100 youth only 20 may end up acheiving their dreams,am sure none of u insulting me have 20million in ur acct at the moment...if u have a dad that can guarranty that capital why not rely on him

2 Likes

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Alleinad(f): 9:49am On Jul 16, 2014
If a person comes from a family where the inheritance is given to the person at a certain age, say 25, then by all means such a person shud hinge their future around it. However if a person comes from a family where somebody has to die for them to get inheritance, pls go out and get a life of your own before the devil makes you start plotting peoples death just to get inheritance.

2 Likes

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Adeola894(m): 9:52am On Jul 16, 2014
Urgent needs of quality wears like : Shoes, men's wear, women's wear, fragrances, bags, chains with pedant, watches, gold etc, don't look further Visit rtvkollections.com for your long lasting quality designers.

RTV Kollections is a Certified online stores based in the Uk. They ship your product anywhere you are in Nigeria. Their reputation speaks for them. They have the best quality design, you can ever think of.

Hurry now!!! Start shopping @ rtvkollections.com and get $300 for every purchase.. #OwnYourLife #StartShoppingNow.

Call : +447561463653, if you have any Questions
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by VantagePoint: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2014
fijiano202: ur a dumbo,honestly the likes of mohammed abacha,dantatas,niyi adebayo names will forever be remebered..with ur value,substance and worth u may never be noticed or remebered for ever..most of u will live out ur lives as average citizens and may not ever make upto 100 million till u die...if my dad is as rich as atiku or babagida my dream would be to expand and create my own company with a guarranteed capital...major prob most of our youths have is we dont accept reality...almost every youth in nigeria has a dream,vision and business idea but lack of capital is their prob,out of possible 100 youth only 20 may end up acheiving their dreams,am sure none of u insulting me have 20million in ur acct at the moment...if u have a dad that can guarranty that capital why not rely on him
Well in your 1st post, you asked why "you would stress yourself for a useless job if", you didn't say you were going to expand or create your own company.
Anyway, there are more self-made rich people than 'old money' people. Tell me what the children of Folawiyo, Atiku, Babangida, etc are known for apart from their parents' wealth.

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by pheesayor(m): 10:09am On Jul 16, 2014
sexyseun: Na today?
Family inheritance has been in existence since the days of old.
Genesis 25:5 Abraham gave everything he owned to his son Isaac.
Check out the Ford Family, Walton family, Arnault family, Glazer family.. I can go on and on.
Even Pastor Joel Osteen of the largest church in America inherited his father's church(Lakewood church)
There is absolutely nothing wrong in inheriting your family's wealth, its just better if you can make it more better

If my papa na Dangote or Adenuga, Where u think say i go dey work?? Skyebank or Aiico Insurance angry

The bolded is the problem, people these days just lazy around because there's an inheritance somewhere for them, eventually they squander all

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by fijiano202(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2014
VantagePoint:
Well in your 1st post, you asked why "you would stress yourself for a useless job if", you didn't say you were going to expand or create your own company.
Anyway, there are more self-made rich people than 'old money' people. Tell me what the children of Folawiyo, Atiku, Babangida, etc are known for apart from their parents' wealth.
there are 2 sides to a coin..as we have the atiku,babagida kids we also have the niyi adebayo,davido who made a name for themselves due to the dad's riches
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Oduduwaboy(m): 10:15am On Jul 16, 2014
...look around you.who are the affluent ones around you? most times it is the inheritors .

Even Bill Gate's parents were upper middle class .

Fact is it is easier for the children of the rich to remain rich ...the rags to riches stories are few and far between .

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Mintayo(m): 10:24am On Jul 16, 2014
No biggy now. I have never met anyone who inherited somethings,some big things from her parents. But the last one I met was extremely arrogant, careless with words and proud.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by DesChyko: 10:24am On Jul 16, 2014
In a proper scenario, one shouldn't. It is only common sense that one must strive to achieve his/her aim.
But sometimes, it is unavoidable. I once had a friend who couldn't 'hustle' with us due to his family's social stand. In his case, you can't really blame him for 'hinging'.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 16, 2014
It's pure evil for one to relax wishing his parents dead just to feast on what will be inherited. One should labour for his or herself, so that they will be competent and capable to shoulder whatever comes their way when the worst happens.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by omoelu1(m): 10:35am On Jul 16, 2014
Yoruba will say : "agbojulogun, f'ira e foshita"
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 16, 2014
It's Unhealthy
I'ma make sure my kids learn the value of money and work to earn it.. Every bloody kobo.
My leaving an inheritance to them depends on what they've done with their lives up to that point. In fact.. I don't think they'll be needing it cos they'll be very independent and stable to even need Daddy's money.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by BlackSwede(m): 10:41am On Jul 16, 2014
No matter how alluring the wealth might be, its better to do something for yourself, have ur own dreams to pursue and build on it.

It makes u only wiser, more able to place value and manage an inheritance.

What if u don't get an inheritance?

What if a bulk of it is willed to support a humanistic cause, and u only get a little fraction?

And really... What if u don't live to see the inheritance?

Most importantly just do something and don't let time just pass u by.

Kudos.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:21am On Jul 16, 2014
vikel2104: It is common practice for parents to want to leave something for their children so that they can have a good future. Often times some children tend to plan their future success on the family inheritance and because of this, some of them don't want to do something for themselves.
For instance, you have this guy who is just waiting to take over his father's business and you also have this other guy who is waiting to take over his father's house when the man is no more.

What is your say on this issue?

I think the most important thing is to give our children good education and also equip them with the right values. Hard-work and honesty are some of the values our young ones need to imbibe, if you have these values you will definitely multiply whatever asset you inherit from your parents.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:23am On Jul 16, 2014
fijiano202: Guy if my papa na babagida or atiku pls why would i stress myself for a useless job where my boss is freaking insultive

You still need to stress yourself. If Dangote did not stress himself he would not have multiplied his grand parents' wealth.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:25am On Jul 16, 2014
Yomieluv: This attitude bothers on two things,mental,and physical laziness. If the rightful owner didn't work hard to provide those things,would it be there to be inherited? Much blame should be apportioned to the parents,who always made such children have such belief-especially the lazy ones. I work myself out,and didn't believe I must make it off people's inheritance..inheriting parent's property isn't bad,hinging on it as the sole way of making it in life is the problem.. Parents should also know,they aren't successful in life,till their children are also successful...don't hinge on people,add to the family wealth..

People with ill-gotten wealth will definitely give birth to children that will squander the wealth.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:26am On Jul 16, 2014
merbenko: The only inheritance for my children is Education. Gbam

Up your game, education is a right.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:31am On Jul 16, 2014
Dygeasy: It's easier said than done.

Let the people from rich families come on this thread and say NO.

All of you saying NO, are you from wealthy families? Is there something for you to inherit? If you're not wearing the shoes, how would you know if it fits or not?

I love that.

That is why we should all work hard and bequeath education, good values and tangible assets to our children. Nothing beats giving your child a good head-start.

The average guys give their children good education, but the above average families do far more than that.
Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 16, 2014
Shey na bc them see something to inherit...right now am on my own o. Trying ma best to have something for ma kids to inherit but definitely not for them to relax and wait for me to die or something...lol. No matter how it turns out, I think it's necessary to work for yo own name/properties.

1 Like

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:37am On Jul 16, 2014
Akalia: Family inheritance can serve as a start up foundation for an individuals that has vision and is focused and not for spoilt brads. People who hinge their future on family inheritance do not most times amount to something great in life, cos they end up wasting it.

I have a friend who inherited N 6million worth of shares from his late father in 2002. He was a poorly paid civil engineer in 2002, he used part of his inheritance to establish a civil engineering/ construction company in 2003.
Today the guy handles multi-million naira real estate contracts in South West Nigeria, and has done very well for himself.

2 Likes

Re: Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:40am On Jul 16, 2014
IfyAngela: No they shouldn't, people should work for their money rather than relying on their parent's sweat.

If their parents did nothing there would be nothing to inherit,

Dangote is what he is because of the work done by his grand father. Read the history of First Bank of Nigeria, there was a time when his grand father was the biggest customer of the bank.

There is nothing bad in laying a good financial foundation for our children.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oriki Omo Ibadan / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Spiritually Run A Check When Problems/challenges Are Staying Too Long.opinion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.