Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,690 members, 7,809,606 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? (11832 Views)

Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? / Custom Of Inheritance In Akwa Ibom And Cross River State / Why Do Africa Think Its ENTITLED To Foreign Aid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 10:49am On Nov 25, 2014
Why are Female children not Entitled to inheritance from their Parents in many cultures in Nigeria and Africa? But in the Western countries female children are Entitled to Inherit their Parents Estate.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by olaric(m): 10:52am On Nov 25, 2014
I think this question is not applicable to us in the West where our daughters also get to share in landed properties and the likes as soon as a will is read. Maybe you rephrase the question.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Tallesty1(m): 10:56am On Nov 25, 2014
Now or then?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by lirusehn(m): 10:57am On Nov 25, 2014
smiley nice question.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 11:03am On Nov 25, 2014
olaric:
I think this question is not applicable to us in the West where our daughters also get to share in landed properties and the likes as soon as a will is read. Maybe you rephrase the question.

The question said most cultures in Nigeria and Africa, so you are saying that female children get land shared to them if they want to build houses, or do they get farm lands to farm. Because the Initial is permanent while the later is temporal.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Gooci(m): 11:03am On Nov 25, 2014
think it has a religion connection
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Ezedon(m): 11:10am On Nov 25, 2014
It is only common in this part of the world, mainly africa, not in India where a woman will pay a man's dowry to marry him so rephrase your question
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by DickDastardly(m): 11:12am On Nov 25, 2014
Because they are born without balls! cool

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Gboliwe: 11:25am On Nov 25, 2014
Ezedon:
It is only common in this part of the world, mainly africa, not in India where a woman will pay a man's dowry to marry him so rephrase your question

It beats me how some people like you do not comprehend a simple and detailed post like this. Is india in Nigeria or Africa? How did India get into this maze now? How else should s/he have rephrased the question? Please help out. Kai!

15 Likes

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 11:28am On Nov 25, 2014
Ezedon:

You obviously didn't read the post. You only read the Title.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 11:29am On Nov 25, 2014
Gboliwe:

It beats me how some people like you do not comprehend a simple and detailed post like this. Is india in Nigeria or Africa? How did India get into this maze now? How else should s/he have rephrased the question? Please help out. Kai!

Thanks for pointing it out, but I think he/she did not read the post.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Gboliwe: 11:33am On Nov 25, 2014
ducii:

Thanks for pointing it out, but I think he/she did not read the post.

Ofcourse he didn't! Lately, I've been reading a lot of threads on nairaland and I marvel at the level of understanding of some users. I mean, is there a contest I don't know of that gives awards to the highest number of posts from a user? If not, why do many users just jump into a thread and start making fools of themselves? I do NOT understand.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by bennygreat1(m): 11:54am On Nov 25, 2014
Gotten from the general believe that Woman was gotten from man(according to the holy scripture)From the African context,women re not duly recognise by the society, a woman cannot inherit any of her husband's property cos women are seen or known to promote cultures(norms n values,dos n don't) among the young in d society.

Though in time past,civilisation and education has changed it now that woman ve been able to rise above that level now.... And most them ve a share in properties and even want to be in control of the property..

Women!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by olaric(m): 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
ducii:

The question said most cultures in Nigeria and Africa, so you are saying that female children get land shared to them if they want to build houses, or do they get farm lands to farm. Because the Initial is permanent while the later is temporal.

My sister got a fair share of my father's landed property after his death.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 12:30pm On Nov 25, 2014
olaric:

My sister got a fair share of my father's landed property after his death.

Nice one, where are you from? Is it your culture that females get to share from their parents wealth, or was it just your father's discretion that all his kids gets at least a portion of his wealth?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by olaric(m): 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2014
ducii:

Nice one, where are you from? Is it your culture that females get to share from their parents wealth, or was it just your father's discretion that all his kids gets at least a portion of his wealth?.

I am from Ondo State. It's not just my dad's discretion, it's a tradition of ours

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by kingston277(m): 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2014
bennygreat1:
Gotten from the general believe that Woman was gotten from man(according to the holy scripture)From the African context,women re not duly recognise by the society, a woman cannot inherit any of her husband's property cos women are seen or known to promote cultures(norms n values,dos n don't) among the young in d society.

Though in time past,civilisation and education has changed it now that woman ve been able to rise above that level now.... And most them ve a share in properties and even want to be in control of the property..

Women!!!
Then it would've been changed since 3000 years ago when civilization and education first arose in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 9:11am On Nov 26, 2014
olaric:

I am from Ondo State. It's not just my dad's discretion, it's a tradition of ours

Oh good to know
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by kimond101: 7:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
So many reasons.
Naturally men are meant to be breadwinners and women tend to get married and live with their husband.
So it's essential a man has a greater share of property due to responsibilities
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by blemon44(m): 7:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
i'll do my possible best to change that
so that female children go dey chop some kpomo
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by superneutral(m): 7:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
?
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by sommyblaze(m): 7:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Rexphobia(m): 7:54pm On Dec 02, 2014
Coz she sold that right when she changed her surname.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by DGKN: 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
Ion Knw
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Innodon(m): 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
wait lemme ask Ifa
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Joshkid(m): 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
Google is Ur fwend
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by olapluto(m): 7:56pm On Dec 02, 2014
Islam permits female children to inherit from parents and husband.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Segadem(m): 7:57pm On Dec 02, 2014
because they r not male but fe-male
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Ezeibe(m): 7:57pm On Dec 02, 2014
Some men are gold diggers
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by blank(f): 7:57pm On Dec 02, 2014
My siblings and I got substantial landed properties and my dad is still very much alive. Just that nothing for us in the villa, just my brothers. I am fine with that as I have the one my husband and I are building in his villa.

Guess he is not a chauvinist. Thank God.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Dugul: 7:58pm On Dec 02, 2014
My own culture do desame
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Hablad47(m): 7:59pm On Dec 02, 2014
Hmmmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyo Assembly Approves ‘isese Day’ To Honour Traditional Worshippers / ***Nigerian Adages And Their Meanings*** / Indian Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.