Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,600 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? (10531 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Absolutely. Nigerians are capable of the most wicked things I've ever seen in my life, and it is because of the cruelty of their upbringing.

How many other Nationalities have you been opportuned to observe? If you had or if you even followed International News a little Bit,you'd realize that whatever Wickedness you've seen fades in the Face of that obtainable in certain other Countries.
Plus,not every Nigerian had a cruel Upbringing,thank you.

The Point is; do not generalize.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 16, 2014
Much as I agree with some of your points, I don't want to mix up issues. My original point is in response to your comment in which you related the level of evil in Nigeria to the corporal punishment that children receive. I am pointing out why this is not the case. I have made some comments below.

MissMeiya:

That is ridiculous.
1. Nigerians are not "innately wicked/evil".
Well, innate or not, Nigerians are certainly among the most wicked / evil people I have encountered (and I have spent a lot of my life outside Nigeria). I don't know how many countries have a cocktail of wicked activities such as looting, witchcraft, kidnapping, jinxing, robbery, oppression, outright determination to prevent another's progress - you name it - going on on such a frequent basis. I don't know of many countries where people are afraid to enter public transport for fear of disappearing. (I don't see how any of these evil acts have anything to do with corporal punishment).

2. Children slapping people is incomparable to conscious, bloody cruelty and torture.

I agree. By referring to "happy slapping", I am drawing attention to an example of how a lack of adequate punishment for children is impacting on British society.

I don't see the correlation between corporal punishment and the cruelty / torture that you mention. I am not saying that they don't exist in our society - I am saying that other factors are responsible for them.

3. Do you think if Nigerians had access to guns there wouldn't be massive shootings? Honestly, do you?

Of course there would be. This debate is not about whether or not Nigerians are capable of evil. We already know the answer to that. By referring to school shootings, I am going back to the issue of upbringing. Most US shootings are carried out by youngsters who felt rejected / bullied / not loved / not given enough, or who - like you said - were mentally unbalanced. How many Nigerian youngsters go out and attack people "because they were not loved"?

I have no doubt that there would be massive shootings in Nigeria if we all had access to guns, but we would be doing it for totally different reasons (Back to my point about who we are as a people).

4. People who use guns are very removed from the effects of their actions. They could never come up close to their victims and hack them to death with a machete, or burn them to death, or pour acid on them--common occurrences in Nigeria. And even with the physical and mental distance they gain by using guns, they almost always turn the guns on themselves afterwards and commit suicide. How do you consider that "entitlement"? America's gun problem is a matter of ACCESS, where mentally unbalanced people are allowed to own firearms. Not a matter of "spoiled children".

My answer to your point 3 partly addresses this. In terms of a sense of "entitlement", when a child goes and kills a bunch of other children because his parents did not love him / because he was bullied, whether or not he shoots himself in the end, he has shown that he believes he has a right to destroy other lives because he doesn't have what he wants out of life. That is evidence a sense of entitlement.

This is a very very common African misconception, this fear of "spoiling" children. Where you can hear someone telling you that holding your child too much is bad, and you should allow them to cry until they stop.

I agree @ the bolded - I certainly do not follow that school of thought smiley. Theirs is another extreme.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 16, 2014
To begin with; I object to the Title of this Thread, it sounds stereotypical, as if corporal Punishment were a purely(or even predominantly) African Issue,which it isn't.

Europe,Asia and the Americas for Example,have very pervasive Histories of whipping,paddling,caning etc,and even though some Countries on those continents have outlawed it,those Laws were mostly passed in the past Decade or so, more significantly perhaps; corporal Punishment in the Home is still legal in majority of Countries,and is illegal in certain African States as well(South Sudan, Kenya, Togo, Tunisia).

As to the Matters being discussed,I think that corporal Punishment remains an integral Part of the Dynamic of African Child Upbringing, and will likely remain so for a long While yet,because even though some People in the new Generation are opposed to it,they still form a Minority and it's doubtful those will be able to stick to that Stand in the Face of what some of us put our Parents through wink.

About Nigerians being wicked,I think that Opinion is very myopic and unfair,and most possibly speaks to the Psyche of the Opinion-Holder,rather than that of the Nigerian People,reason being that while there are admittedly a Number of Crimes Atrocities and such committed in Nigeria,the Country's Statistics do not rank it inordinately high,in comparison with other Nations.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
jesuslovesme123: Much as I agree with some of your points, I don't want to mix up issues. My original point is in response to your comment in which you related the level of evil in Nigeria to the corporal punishment that children receive. I am pointing out why this is not the case. I have made some comments below.

Well, innate or not, Nigerians are certainly among the most wicked / evil people I have encountered (and I have spent a lot of my life outside Nigeria). I don't know how many countries have a cocktail of wicked activities such as looting, witchcraft, kidnapping, jinxing, robbery, oppression, outright determination to prevent another's progress - you name it - going on on such a frequent basis. I don't know of many countries where people are afraid to enter public transport for fear of disappearing. (I don't see how any of these evil acts have anything to do with corporal punishment).

I agree. By referring to "happy slapping", I am drawing attention to an example of how a lack of adequate punishment for children is impacting on British society.

I don't see the correlation between corporal punishment and the cruelty / torture that you mention. I am not saying that they don't exist in our society - I am saying that other factors are responsible for them.

Of course there would be. This debate is not about whether or not Nigerians are capable of evil. We already know the answer to that. By referring to school shootings, I am going back to the issue of upbringing. Most US shootings are carried out by youngsters who felt rejected / bullied / not loved / not given enough, or who - like you said - were mentally unbalanced. How many Nigerian youngsters go out and attack people "because they were not loved"?

I have no doubt that there would be massive shootings in Nigeria if we all had access to guns, but we would be doing it for totally different reasons (Back to my point about who we are as a people).

My answer to your point 3 partly addresses this. In terms of a sense of "entitlement", when a child goes and kills a bunch of other children because his parents did not love him / because he was bullied, whether or not he shoots himself in the end, he has shown that he believes he has a right to destroy other lives because he doesn't have what he wants out of life. That is evidence a sense of entitlement.

I agree @ the bolded - I certainly do not follow that school of thought smiley. Theirs is another extreme.

You and I actually agree, but for the question of whether cruelty breeds cruelty. Which I can't believe is even a question. It very obviously does. You say other factors in Nigeria are responsible for the cruelty that takes place: I'd like to know what they are.

And as you are not a psychologist, your theory that mass murderers kill because they are spoiled and entitled, rather than mentally deranged, is doubly ludicrous.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

You and I actually agree, but for the question of whether cruelty breeds cruelty. Which I can't believe is even a question. It very obviously does. You say other factors in Nigeria are responsible for the cruelty that takes place: I'd like to know what they are.

And as you are not a psychologist, your theory that mass murderers kill because they are spoiled and entitled, rather than mentally deranged, is doubly ludicrous.

Cruelty breeds cruelty. Yes. But does corporal punishment equate to cruelty?

I believe that the OP is referring to corporal punishment in its true sense, and not child abuse (which some patents practice in the name of punishment).

Im terms of the factors that breed cruelty - wow - that's a whole new conversation on its own. Let's just say that our background of fetish practices and our greed as a people - lead to these issues. Most evil acts commited in Nigeria boil down to money, sheer wickedness, or the desire for spiritual (not Godly) power / control.

I am not a psycholigist, but I watch / read the news. The homes of most mass murderers are searched after the fact, and their histories analysed, and information gathered about the murderers from their diaries, phones, computers, recordings, even their family - reveal their motive - which is almost always one of the motives that I earlier mentioned.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 16, 2014
jesuslovesme123:

Cruelty breeds cruelty. Yes. But does corporal punishment equate to cruelty?

I believe that the OP is referring to corporal punishment in its true sense, and not child abuse (which some patents practice in the name of punishment).

Im terms of the factors that breed cruelty - wow - that's a whole new conversation on its own. Let's just say that our background of fetish practices and our greed as a people - lead to these issues. Most evil acts commited in Nigeria boil down to money, sheer wickedness, or the desire for spiritual (not Godly) power / control.

I am not a psycholigist, but I watch / read the news. The homes of most mass murderers are searched after the fact, and their histories analysed, and information gathered about the murderers from their diaries, phones, computers, recordings, even their family - reveal their motive - which is almost always one of the motives that I earlier mentioned.

The things you see on the news tell you that mass murderers were spoiled as children and never beaten? I highly doubt that. I would really love to see any news piece that even remotely implied that.

I believe that is a subconscious conclusion you drew from the misconception that beating a child somehow makes him/her obedient.

What do you believe corporal punishment entails?

This is how I understand it:
A method of discipline that uses pain to deter bad behavior.

Nigerians are not "greedy" people. The circumstances and uncertainty of living in Nigeria, demands a great deal of self-preservation behavior. I wouldn't call that greedy. And greedy people are not always cruel. That is a logical fallacy. Non sequitur. It does not follow.

As for wickedness, humans are not BORN "wicked". That is something they learn from their environment and their upbringing. This is scientifically proven and historically evidenced. So, no, Nigerians are not "naturally wicked".

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Kimmo(f): 9:05pm On Jul 16, 2014
yousee: I am totally in support of corporal punishment.
Modified and upgraded to suit the times.
Take away from the child that one thing he/she loves best and rather channel them to other activities.

My punishment those days was "read this book and tell me the story when i return from work"
That was so bad at first, cos i wanted to run the streets and play ball with my neighbours.
Well, long story short, i fell in love with the African Writers Series at a very young age and it really helped shape me.

This is super, and I'll certainly keep it in mind for when I have children.
I'm all for punishment. I did not do a lot of things as a child for one simple reason: Mommy will beat me.
This, as far as I'm concerned is as good as, "it's wrong, and I shouldn't do it". This is because I understood that Mommy only caned me when I was wrong.
Re broken bottles and other "weapons", there's a difference between punishment and torture. The sane parent should know where to draw the line.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by okotv(m): 10:21pm On Jul 16, 2014
Calebosko: I beleve dat when a child is maltreated,or over cane,such as esposing her to Army training kind of brougt up al because they dont want d child to spoil, this resulted on making d child 2 be hash wen he or she grow up, somtime he may transer dat kind of treatment to d society, hence we are aving so many heartless people in nigeria compared to oyibo who dont endorse such, for example a man who cannot kill a fly wil be ready to smogle,or maim a man alive as soon as he join d nigerian army due to d kind of training he has been exposed to, i know over pampering is not good,but we dont av to take is so much on a child so as to avoid kiling d Gods givin love and Emotion in a child due to d ill treatment he or she eas exposed to.
...i grew up in the military way but it doesnt make you harsh but very cool but you could be lethal when provoked although God has that under control
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by MrAnony1(m): 10:37pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:
Oh please! It was a complex problem that involved adults in the family and was better understood by adults. Nuances and context were what she lost patience explaining, NOT that she had explained that particular aspect to me previously. She regretted that later then took time to explain the entire picture.
Ok I won't press you further on this specific case.

Feel free to "beat sense" into your children. I only know I'll never do that even to my animals.
Lol of course you don't beat animals you only have their throats slit and feed on the flesh of their corpses. So much for the moral high ground that you are trying to assume without actually making a case.

It didn't escape my notice that you have once again evaded the opportunity explain your position and point out the strawmen you accused me of erecting. It seems you just like accusing people who disagree with you in order to feel better about yourself.

Have fun.
I am.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 11:24pm On Jul 16, 2014
MrAnony1:
Ok I won't press you further on this specific case.

Lol of course you don't beat animals you only have their throats slit and feed on the flesh of their corpses. So much for the moral high ground that you are trying to assume without actually making a case.
Do you honestly think you made sense here? I was obviously referring to pets and not livestock reared for consumption. But then, that's what is expected of you: another straw-man fallacy.

MrAnony1: It didn't escape my notice that you have once again evaded the opportunity explain your position and point out the strawmen you accused me of erecting. It seems you just like accusing people who disagree with you in order to feel better about yourself.
I actually have better things to do with my time so I avoid people I've noticed love to argue just for argument's sake. Of which I deem you a chief.

No offence, I'm just not that into your "style of conversation" and "logic" and would probably not be talking to you at all, if you hadn't first mentioned me here.

MrAnony1:
I am.
Good. Then I'm positive you can do so without me. Cheers.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 11:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
MissMeiya:
The things you see on the news tell you that mass murderers were spoiled as children and never beaten? I highly doubt that. I would really love to see any news piece that even remotely implied that.
I believe that is a subconscious conclusion you drew from the misconception that beating a child somehow makes him/her obedient.
What do you believe corporal punishment entails?
This is how I understand it:
A method of discipline that uses pain to deter bad behavior.
Nigerians are not "greedy" people. The circumstances and uncertainty of living in Nigeria, demands a great deal of self-preservation behavior. I wouldn't call that greedy. And greedy people are not always cruel. That is a logical fallacy. Non sequitur. It does not follow.
As for wickedness, humans are not BORN "wicked". That is something they learn from their environment and their upbringing. This is scientifically proven and historically evidenced. So, no, Nigerians are not "naturally wicked".

From where I stand, your mind is a wildly fascinating place... I could hardly have said any of this better.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:

From where I stand, your mind is a wildly fascinating place... I could hardly have said any of this better.

If you're trying to flatter me, it's working.

I think too much. I'm the silent, daydreamer type that Googles random questions that occur to her. As a result, I usually have too much to say. embarassed But the force of character developed while I was in college. Before then, I generally kept my thoughts to myself. Now, my mother always complains that I didn't decide to study law lol

Also, I've been a voracious reader since I was a very small child. My grandmother, to this day, will tell anyone who will listen how I never knew where I was, and she had to drag me to make sure I was following her, because my nose was always in a book, or trying to pronounce words I saw on the street (I love my grandmother.) The librarians in my local library watched me grow up, because I was always in there. Then I started working there in high school.

So anyway, my mind is kind of cluttered. I've been meaning to tidy up for a while now...
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 12:53am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:
If you're trying to flatter me, it's working.
I think too much. I'm the silent, daydreamer type that Googles random questions that occur to her. As a result, I usually have too much to say. embarassed But the force of character developed while I was in college. Before then, I generally kept my thoughts to myself. Now, my mother always complains that I didn't decide to study law lol
Also, I've been a voracious reader since I was a very small child. My grandmother, to this day, will tell anyone who will listen how I never knew where I was, and she had to drag me to make sure I was following her, because my nose was always in a book, or trying to pronounce words I saw on the street (I love my grandmother.) The librarians in my local library watched me grow up, because I was always in there. Then I started working there in high school.
So anyway, my mind is kind of cluttered. I've been meaning to tidy up for a while now...

Lol! No, I did not exactly move to flatter. Interesting brief autobio as well. grin

Please we thank you not to tidy your mind up! We already have enough of the mundane.

So I am guessing you were not of those kids "punished" with literature since you already had a healthy appetite for it cheesy

It was just the same with me, and whenever I ran out of things to read I'd take my Father's old notebooks (he's a professor) and begin writing my own stories in the empty pages at the back. And, no, I was not flogged for that (rolls eyes) when I was found out. Rather I was told to desist, and a proper journal was bought for me.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 1:42am On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor:

Lol! No, I did not exactly move to flatter. Interesting brief autobio as well. grin

Please we thank you not to tidy your mind up! We already have enough of the mundane.

So I am guessing you were not of those kids "punished" with literature since you already had a healthy appetite for it cheesy

It was just the same with me, and whenever I ran out of things to read I'd take my Father's old notebooks (he's a professor) and begin writing my own stories in the empty pages at the back. And, no, I was not flogged for that (rolls eyes) when I was found out. Rather I was told to desist, and a proper journal was bought for me.

Hmm, I was a very obedient child (so much so that my parents think I'm "rebelling" now because I want to be more independent haha). I'm trying to remember why that was... The only punishments I ever got from my dad were lectures and loss of privileges, and the worst one that I ever got in my whole life were the words "I'm disappointed." I swear, I cried all night that night.

My whole life has been one long attempt to impress my father. I think because we have so much in common? I was very sheltered and spent very little time outside my parents' watchful gaze. The time I spent with my dad was usually spent listening to him lecture (he's a professor too! lol) and watching documentaries. Then I got older and started to have actual conversations with him. Hm... *moment of introspection*

Ok, this is my theory: I respect both of my parents tremendously, but my respect for my mother came late, after I got older and she began to confide in me. I began learning how circumstances and events in her life shaped her. I've always loved her, but her anger-induced violence bred resentment in me, and I always felt I was right and she was wrong, and I was being unfairly punished. So, I did not respect her as much as I respected my father. If my father said something, I instinctively was less likely to argue than if my mother said it.

I propose that this was because he is not "reactive", like my mother is. His actions seemed to stem from thought, and not emotion. He used his words, and made me THINK and understand. My mother used threats and made me feel persecuted, and like she was not listening. She rarely forced me to consider why I shouldn't have done what I did, only regret having gotten caught. Subconsciously, I stopped trying to reason with her, and thus lost respect for her intellectually.

I'm older now, and understand her better, so of course I respect her tremendously. But I feel her approach had a lasting negative effect on me. In addition to the delayed sense of respect for her, I'm quick tempered and I shout a lot. (My father is slow tempered and rarely shouts.) Ironically, my father and I can both hold grudges longer than my mother can. Her anger is like a match: quickly flared and quickly doused. And I've been told by too many people that when I'm angry, I have a tongue like a whip. My mother never bothers to listen to my clever 100-word-a-second grand arguments/speeches when I get this way. Lol so frustrating.

However, I never ever strike anyone. The thought never even forms in my mind... unless they hit me first. Then I become a WILDCAT. I attribute that to the kind of smacks I used to get as a child. Have you ever seen the face of a child who gets smacked, especially in the face? I'm talking about an older child. The suppressed FURY, clenched fists and teeth, because they can't DO ANYTHING. The ones with less self-control turn that built-up anger on something or someone else. Or eventually, right back at the person that beat them. For myself, I have no patience for anyone who hits me. Anyone. I will either leave immediately, or make you bleed. Not an admirable trait, I admit. I aspire to be a pacifist. In theory undecided But I have made guys bleed and even cry with my fists. And I never felt bad about it. (Damaged...)

I think you and I are going to need to continue this conversation elsewhere hahaha I haven't even addressed your journal story, and I intended to smh. *several paragraphs later*
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 2:22am On Jul 17, 2014
@MissMeiya and InesQor

Please, enough of your boring life diaries. No sensible person is willing to read them. Corporate punishment, whatever there is in punishment that is corporate is yet to be seen in beating up a child for some mistake or not paying attention. That is a primitive man's reasoning. It is archaic and should be eliminated from the Nigerian society.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 2:29am On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija: @MissMeiya and InesQor

Please, enough of your boring life diaries. No sensible person is willing to read them. Corporate punishment, whatever there is in punishment that is corporate is yet to be seen in beating up a child for some mistake or not paying attention. That is a primitive man's reasoning. It is archaic and should be eliminated from the Nigerian society.

I suppose you thought that was intelligent. This is a public forum, which you do not own. So kindly shove it.

I try not to be this pedantic but you really asked for it: it's CORPORAL, not CORPORATE punishment.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 2:41am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

I suppose you thought that was intelligent. This is a public forum, which you do not own. So kindly shove it.

I try not to be this pedantic but you really asked for it: it's CORPORAL, not CORPORATE punishment.

Lol... You claim that as being intelligent but I don't. Nobody who is sensible enough to understand how the modern world works is going to accept your primitive childhood as something to judge children upbringing in the contemporary.

Oh, yeah! And, because it is a public forum your life diaries must be spelled across the length of the thread to think you are right on points. Jeez! At least, you haven't made any sense at all.

There is nothing pedantic in that though. Thank you for the correction.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 2:55am On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija:
Lol... You claim that as being intelligent but I don't. Nobody who is sensible enough to understand how the modern world works is going to accept your primitive childhood as something to judge children upbringing in the contemporary.

Oh, yeah! And, because it is a public forum your life diaries must be spelled across the length of the thread to think you are right on points. Jeez! At least, you haven't made any sense at all.

There is nothing pedantic in that though. Thank you for the correction.

I guess reading is a problem for you.

One, I asked you if you thought YOUR rude post to me was intelligent. Your response to that is "Lol... You claim that as being intelligent but I don't." Ok. I'm glad you know it wasn't intelligent.

Two, "Nobody who is sensible enough to understand how the modern world works is going to accept your primitive childhood as something to judge children upbringing in the contemporary." You deserve the biggest dunce cap for this. This is why reading is fundamental. I won't even tell you why this was a dumb thing to tell ME, I'll just encourage you to read one, just ONE of my posts in this thread. Then try to understand why that was a rétarded thing to say to me, in particular.

Three, "Oh, yeah! And, because it is a public forum your life diaries must be spelled across the length of the thread to think you are right on points." Again, you're failure to read strikes you another blow. At the end of my last post, I requested a continuation in a different location, as I realized I was derailing. Unfortunately for you, your fear of text irritated your eyes so much that you were unable to notice that last sentence. So, once more, I politely request that you SHOVE. IT.

Please ensure that it doesn't fall out. If you require assistance with that, I'm at your service. Otherwise, stay clear. Thanks.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 3:30am On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

I guess reading is a problem for you.

One, I asked you if you thought YOUR rude post to me was intelligent. Your response to that is "Lol... You claim that as being intelligent but I don't." Ok. I'm glad you know it wasn't intelligent.

Two, "Nobody who is sensible enough to understand how the modern world works is going to accept your primitive childhood as something to judge children upbringing in the contemporary." You deserve the biggest dunce cap for this. This is why reading is fundamental. I won't even tell you why this was a dumb thing to tell ME, I'll just encourage you to read one, just ONE of my posts in this thread. Then try to understand why that was a rétarded thing to say to me, in particular.

Three, "Oh, yeah! And, because it is a public forum your life diaries must be spelled across the length of the thread to think you are right on points." Again, you're failure to read strikes you another blow. At the end of my last post, I requested a continuation in a different location, as I realized I was derailing. Unfortunately for you, your fear of text irritated your eyes enough that you were unable to notice that last sentence. So, once more, I politely request that you SHOVE. IT.

Please ensure that it doesn't fall out. If you require assistance with that, I'm at your service. Otherwise, stay clear. Thanks.
Hahaha... I think I am going to enjoy this conversation as long as it has us in a balance.

First and foremost, you excusably made a statement about intelligence having me to believe that's what my previous post was all about, which you never divulged the reason why you have to use that term in the first place. I was very objective looking at the way you were going about your childhood to support your primitive views regarding being judgmental on the issue. Mostly, in many of the conversations or exchanges with another boring poster indeed.

Secondly, it is laughable after allegedly claiming my statement is total BS and pointing to why you think reading is fundamental, yet forgetting that educative material is the fundamental thing to read than just reading for reading sake makes you look scythe in your gross self-aggrandizement in this argument, as though you are really into reading so much portrayed with passion in your previous posts. It is completely absurd and absolutely unacceptable. When it is very clear you are running away from explaining yourself. That is something I am not going to entertain in this heated debate. Meaning, I am not condescending to any of your usual prestidigitation to look exonerated when you are not. It is not helping matter and the kind of person you claim to be here.

Thirdly,whether you requested for a different platform to discuss your over-eulogized childhood diary or not the fact remains you cannot use such primitive past experience to continue to support how the present generation must be disciplined. It is preposterous to say the least. No sensible person is going to see that as intelligent move.

On the final note, my request for assistance from you, if there is any at all, is for you to kindly express yourself in line with the modern world and give me the reason why the topic has to be about your childhood past. It doesn't make sense in the light of the discussion. You have no excuse or whatsoever on any moral ground to do so through your poor childhood history.

Thank you.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija:
Hahaha... I think I am going to enjoy this conversation as long as it has us in a balance.

First and foremost, you excusably made a statement about intelligence having me to believe that's what my previous post was all about, which you never divulged the reason why you have to use that term in the first place. I was very objective looking at the way you were going about your childhood to support your primitive views regarding being judgmental on the issue. Mostly, in many of the conversations or exchanges with another boring poster indeed.

Secondly, it is laughable after allegedly claiming my statement is total BS and pointing to why you think reading is fundamental, yet forgetting that educative material is the fundamental thing to read than just reading for reading sake makes you look scythe in your gross self-aggrandizement in this argument, as though you are really into reading so much portrayed with passion in your previous posts. It is completely absurd and absolutely unacceptable. When it is very clear you are running away from explaining yourself. That is something I am not going to entertain in this heated debate. Meaning, I am not condescending to any of your usual prestidigitation to look exonerated when you are not. It is not helping matter and the kind of person you claim to be here.

Thirdly,whether you requested for a different platform to discuss your over-eulogized childhood diary or not the fact remains you cannot use such primitive past experience to continue to support how the present generation must be disciplined. It is preposterous to say the least. No sensible person is going to see that as intelligent move.

On the final note, my request for assistance from you, if there is any at all, is for you to kindly express yourself in line with the modern world and give me the reason why the topic has to be about your childhood past. It doesn't make sense in the light of the discussion. You have no excuse or whatsoever on any moral ground to do so through your poor childhood history.

Thank you.

Listen, ásshole. Let me say this concisely, since you still don't get it: YOU AND I HAVE THE SAME OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT. READ MY DAMN PREVIOUS POSTS.

Unbelievable.

P.S. In your attempt to look intelligent, you used quite a lot of big words incorrectly. My vocabulary is the way it is because I read. Not because I have a thesaurus beside me. So I'm going to do you a favor, because I'm such an angel. I going to show you every ridiculous semantical BLUNDER you made in this rétarded áss post. You're welcome.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by MrAnony1(m): 5:45am On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor:
Do you honestly think you made sense here? I was obviously referring to pets and not livestock reared for consumption. But then, that's what is expected of you: another straw-man fallacy.
Lol except that it wasn't a strawman. It was a fair and deserved response to you because rather than actually make an argument for your case you chose to use the tactic of "I'm a better person than you because I don't agree with you" which is actually an ad hominem fallacy. I merely exposed your hypocrisy that's all.

I actually have better things to do with my time so I avoid people I've noticed love to argue just for argument's sake. Of which I deem you a chief.

No offence, I'm just not that into your "style of conversation" and "logic" and would probably not be talking to you at all, if you hadn't first mentioned me here.
I noticed that you still haven't explained your position or pointed out the strawmen that you accused me of. Also, asking you to provide at least one argument for your position is not arguing for the sake of argument, I am trying to understand you and your reluctance to explain your stance shows me that you really don't know what you are talking about....but hey if you need another petty excuse to run away, feel free to call me an unflattering name and make your exit as usual.

Good. Then I'm positive you can do so without me. Cheers.
Lol
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija: First and foremost, you excusably made a statement about intelligence having me to believe that's what my previous post was all about, which you never divulged the reason why you have to use that term in the first place.
I'm going to ignore the terrible sentence structure, and just stick to semantical errors. You used the word "excusably", meaning... able to be justified or forgiven. Then you complained that I didn't explain myself. I guess I'm not excused after all. sad

I was very objective looking at the way you were going about your childhood to support your primitive views regarding being judgmental on the issue. Mostly, in many of the conversations or exchanges with another boring poster indeed.
I cannot even begin to decipher this.

Secondly, it is laughable after allegedly claiming my statement is total BS and pointing to why you think reading is fundamental, yet forgetting that educative material is the fundamental thing to read than just reading for reading sake...
Actually, it's because I "read for reading's sake" that I know how to correctly construct sentences. I know I said I wouldn't mention grammar, but I've never seen run-on sentences this bad.

Back to semantics. "after ALLEGEDLY claiming my statement is total BS" << What was alleged about my post? Do you know what alleged means? 'without proof, to have taken place'. I made the post. There's nothing alleged about it. If you don't believe me, scroll back up. I promise, it's still there.

Sorry, grammar again. I can't help it. "forgetting that reading educative material is the more fundamental thing to read than just reading for reading's sake..." Maybe if you read more, these sentences you're writing would make you cringe too. Honestly. This is only PART of ONE sentence. Believe it or not (well, you wrote it, so you should probably believe it), this sentence isn't over.

...makes you look scythe
Hold on a goddamn minute. Where are you pulling these words from? You have internet connection, I know you do. There is no reason why you could not look up this word before using it. A scythe is a freaking farm tool. A curved knife. You can have a scythe. You can scythe something. But you cannot LOOK scythe or even BE scythe. Christ have mercy.

in your gross self-aggrandizement in this argument
Did I exaggerate my power and reputation, truly? I didn't notice where I did that.

, as though you are really into reading so much portrayed with passion in your previous posts. It is completely absurd and absolutely unacceptable.
The idea that I love to read is absurd and unacceptable to you. Wow. Just wow. Do you not know people in real life who enjoy reading? I'm actually saddened by that. I actually did work in a library, started reading at a young age, and was raised by two educators. So that actually makes me very upset. I buy books for my young cousins for Christmas, even though I know they hate it. That's how much I think everyone should read.

When it is very clear you are running away from explaining yourself
Huh? Explaining myself to who? Did you ask me to "explain myself"? Are you sure you're responding to the right person?

That is something I am not going to entertain in this heated debate.
This is not a debate. You were rude, and I told you to fúck off.

Meaning, I am not condescending
(I'm actually starting to get tired of these grammar goofs. I think you're trolling me. But something tells me you actually believe you're some kind of epic wordsmith. So on I go. I'm a freaking saint.) To condescend means to do something in a haughty or patronizing way, as though something is beneath one. So... wrong again.

to any of your usual prestidigitation
Jesus @$!#$& Christ. Prestidigitation is a sleight of hand magic trick, LITERALLY. As in "digit" meaning "finger".

to look exonerated when you are not.
You can't LOOK exonerated. You are or you aren't. To be exonerated is to be absolved from blame of fault or wrongdoing, after due consideration of a case. I'm sorry I missed the trial; what was I charged with?

It is not helping matter and the kind of person you claim to be here.
It is not helping MATTERS. The next part of the sentence doesn't make sense. "It is not helping the kind of person you claim to be here"? Do you know how conjunctions work?

Thirdly,whether you requested for a different platform to discuss your over-eulogized
Aww that's sweet. Who was doing the eulogizing? You know eulogized means acclaimed, right?

childhood diary
Actually, I'm not currently in childhood. I'd be a damn prodigy, wouldn't I? Last time I checked, diaries were private journals that do not address other people. My post was neither private nor unaddressed. I was addressing someone. And that person wasn't you! cheesy

or not the fact remains you cannot use such primitive past experience to continue to support how the present generation must be disciplined.
Aaaaaand here's where I realized you REALLY cannot read. We have the SAME opinion on this issue. Here's your facepalm.
Also, your argument is actually completely baseless.

It is preposterous to say the least. No sensible person is going to see that as intelligent move.

Thank you.

Ugh. I can't go on any further. I think you've infected me with your hatred of reading.

Congratulations! You've successfully COMPLETELY derailed the thread.... by complaining about derailing the thread! You are a real star.

I would like to formally request that the mods change your username to malapropism.

Don't worry, I'm going to define it for you wink

malapropism [ mal-uh-prop-iz-uhm ]
the mistaken use of an incorrect word, often with unintentionally amusing effect; an act or habit of misusing words ridiculously
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 7:51am On Jul 17, 2014
MrAnony1:
Lol except that it wasn't a strawman. It was a fair and deserved response to you because rather than actually make an argument for your case you chose to use the tactic of "I'm a better person than you because I don't agree with you" which is actually an ad hominem fallacy. I merely exposed your hypocrisy that's all.

I noticed that you still haven't explained your position or pointed out the strawmen that you accused me of
You're either a pathetic liar or you do not know what a strawman is. You keep overstating or misrepresenting my argument in order to more easily refute it, and THAT tripe above, about killing animals is yet another example. You did same to MissMeiya and I usually see you doing same on the religion board (a talent that you are well known for. Your usual partners in trifling arguments call it "Anonyism" and this is well known to regulars in that section). You did same on the other thread about rap'e. It is not my duty to clean up your mess if you can't identify your own distorted style of argument. undecided

MrAnony1: Also, asking you to provide at least one argument for your position is not arguing for the sake of argument.

I am trying to understand you and your reluctance to explain your stance shows me that you really don't know what you are talking about....
So my refusal to respond means I'm ignorant? Have you considered that I simply have no intentions to discuss this further with you? And I thought you were earlier on complaining about people with an overbloated sense of importance, who grew up feeling entitled.

MrAnony1: But hey if you need another petty excuse to run away, feel free to call me an unflattering name and make your exit as usual.
Your sense of importance here is a tad exaggerated. "Another petty excuse" and "As usual", you say? After only our second conversation? Don't flatter yourself.

I never talked to you on NL before yesterday for good reason (based on observation) and now I've had my confirmation.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 7:56am On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija: @MissMeiya and InesQor

These "boring life diaries" have everything to do with the topic, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

@MissMeiya
Even more interesting! I'll keep my response here terse to prevent further derailing the thread by feeding trolls. Yes, we should continue this conversation later. smiley
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya:
I'm going to ignore the terrible sentence structure, and just stick to semantical errors. You used the word "excusably", meaning... able to be justified or forgiven. Then you complained that I didn't explain myself. I guess I'm not excused after all. sad

There is nothing like 'terrible sentence structure' but bad sentence or sentences. Atleast, get that one right before pointing out my errors. You make bad use of punctuation marks in most of your sentences. That is very clear in the first line of your opening sentences. I'm going to ignore the terrible sentence structure, and just stick to semantical errors (instead of semantic errors). Nevertheless, the statement about 'intelligent'(to be precise) is clear you were forgiven for your inability to understand the word 'intelligent' in your previous post written improvised. It makes you only look puffy in nature and out out of place.

MissMeiya:
I cannot even begin to decipher this.
What is there to decipher in that comment? To decipher, generally, means to translate a code into normal text for better understanding. Yet, my statement is written in English language and the very language you understand. I would say at this point you aren't making any sense with that statement.

MissMeiya:
Actually, it's because I "read for reading's sake" that I know how to correctly construct sentences. I know I said I wouldn't mention grammar, but I've never seen run-on sentences this bad.

Bwahaha... Did you just write that to feel good about yourself? Actually, it's because I "read for reading's sake" that I know how to correctly construct sentences. The 'To correctly' is a non-standard English language. How can you use 'to'(a preposition) before 'correctly' (an adverb) with construct(a verb) in a sentence? You don't 'construct' a sentence you write a sentence in the first case. Stop writing as though you are good in written English. It is very clear you are writing bad English language as well. I cannot understand the reason why you have to start correcting my English writing in a public forum when yours is as bad as the non-standard English used in everyday conversation. Poor you!

MissMeiya:
Back to semantics. "after ALLEGEDLY claiming my statement is total BS" << What was alleged about my post? Do you know what alleged means? 'without proof, to have taken place'. I made the post. There's nothing alleged about it. If you don't believe me, scroll back up. I promise, it's still there.

'Alleged' in the case connotes not being able to provide a proof to what you claimed my statement to be as a total BS. The BS without explanation is what is allegedly in question. Hahaha... grin

MissMeiya:
Sorry, grammar again. I can't help it. "forgetting that reading educative material is the more fundamental thing to read than just reading for reading's sake..." Maybe if you read more, these sentences you're writing would make you cringe too. Honestly. This is only PART of ONE sentence. Believe it or not (well, you wrote it, so you should probably believe it), this sentence isn't over.

You mean to say you can't help yourself in this context, not you can help it(although, you can't help it is correct but not in the context you used it).

However, I agree with you concerning that particular sentence to be informal and grammatically wrong. But,my reference is clear enough for you to comprehend what I am talking about, Miss Grammarian. cool

MissMeiya:
Hold on a goddamn minute. Where are you pulling these words from? You have internet connection, I know you do. There is no reason why you could not look up this word before using it. A scythe is a freaking farm tool. A curved knife. You can have a scythe. You can scythe something. But you cannot LOOK scythe or even BE scythe. Christ have mercy.

Okay! You wrote, 'Hold on a goddamn minute'. Isn't that a sentence in Ghetto's language? Bwahaha.... I can't stop laughing at you as perfectionist. It is nauseating to see you condescending so low and use Ghetto's language to say the least. You don't 'pull' words from something you get or hear words from something or somebody. To answer that question. I am pulling the words from the internet? lipsrsealed . You mean to say I know you do have internet connection. Not, you have internet connection, I know you do. It is very conclusive and senseless.

If you don't know to 'scythe' through something is figuratively used by me to connote your condition of total humiliation then you aren't as smart as you think. It is like cutting something down. I don't know why you didn't understand it is a figurative word in that very post.

MissMeiya:
Did I exaggerate my power and reputation, truly? I didn't notice where I did that.
The question should have been written this way. Did I truly exaggerate my personality? Not power and reputation, truly. Please, don't try to correct my sentences in this thread again because you aren't in the right position to do so.

MissMeiya:
The idea that I love to read is absurd and unacceptable to you. Wow. Just wow. Do you not know people in real life who enjoy reading? I'm actually saddened by that. I actually did work in a library, started reading at a young age, and was raised by two educators. So that actually makes me very upset. I buy books for my young cousins for Christmas, even though I know they hate it. That's how much I think everyone should read.
Indeed, I didn't just say absurd and unacceptable but added completely and absolutely to booth words in my post. It means, the situation worse than mere absurdity and acceptance. The fact that you are a braggart makes you look like somebody without good judgement. That is it.

MissMeiya:
Huh? Explaining myself to who? Did you ask me to "explain myself"? Are you sure you're responding to the right person?

You mean Huh! Huh, can only be used as exclamation not for asking a question, Miss Grammarian. To explain yourself for the reason why you aren't making sense of what you were talking about in the diary of your childhood. I hope you will reply to that without beating about the bush as usual.

MissMeiya:
This is not a debate. You were rude, and I told you to fúck off.
Oh, please! It is a debate. Indeed, it is a heated debate after reading about your overly childhood reading habit. Hahaha...

MissMeiya:
(I'm actually starting to get tired of these grammar goofs. I think you're trolling me. But something tells me you actually believe you're some kind of epic wordsmith. So on I go. I'm a freaking saint.) To condescend means to do something in a haughty or patronizing way, as though something is beneath one. So... wrong again.
The sentences in parenthesis are totally non-standard English language. What is 'these grammar goofs'? Are you serious?! I can't believe you (old grammarian all rather perfectionist) would be so low to make use of informal word in an improper or poor sentence. Hahaha... I think you're TROLLING me. Bwahaha... My ribs hurt for laughing out loud. I give up on you for writing this incomprehensible paragraph.

MissMeiya:
Jesus @$!#$& Christ. Prestidigitation is a sleight of hand magic trick, LITERALLY. As in "digit" meaning "finger".
Hahaha... If you don't know what that means in the way I used that term 'prestidigitation' in my statement it means you aren't that good reader you claimed to be. It simply connotes 'something done in a magical way to deceive people'.

MissMeiya:
You can't LOOK exonerated. You are or you aren't. To be exonerated is to be absolved from blame of fault or wrongdoing, after due consideration of a case. I'm sorry I missed the trial; what was I charged with?

It is not helping MATTERS. The next part of the sentence doesn't make sense. "It is not helping the kind of person you claim to be here"? Do you know how conjunctions work?

Aww that's sweet. Who was doing the eulogizing? You know eulogized means acclaimed, right?
You can in that sense. That is, acting as though you were absolved of your blames. That word is used in the adverbial form in that sentence. Yes, it is correct.

It is not helping matters is as correct as it is not helping the situation. I am not referring to the person in question but what is being discussed. Help can be used for somebody or something or any object. It is not a conjunction, it is a continuous VERB in that context. Even when using it as interjection it is only in the form of exclamation. For example, help!.

I am glad you find something sweet all rather interesting in my post. The word means compliment in my comment. Adding 'over' to the word makes it questionable of what it really means in that context. Do you understand that correctly?

MissMeiya:
Actually, I'm not currently in childhood. I'd be a damn prodigy, wouldn't I? Last time I checked, diaries were private journals that do not address other people. My post was neither private nor unaddressed. I was addressing someone. And that person wasn't you! cheesy
You mean to say or write. You are not presently in your childhood stage. Won't it be wrong to say I am prodigy as an old person? Thank you for explaining what diary means and the reason it is not relevant in this discussion.

MissMeiya:
Aaaaaand here's where I realized you REALLY cannot read. We have the SAME opinion on this issue. Here's your facepalm.
Also, your argument is actually completely baseless.
Oh, yeah! We are not having the same opinion. I am not going to entertain any of your excuses here. You smart bottom! grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

MissMeiya:
Ugh. I can't go on any further. I think you've infected me with your hatred of reading.

Congratulations! You've successfully COMPLETELY derailed the thread.... by complaining about derailing the thread! You are a real star.

I would like to formally request that the mods change your username to malapropism.

Don't worry, I'm going to define it for you wink

malapropism [ mal-uh-prop-iz-uhm ]
the mistaken use of an incorrect word, often with unintentionally amusing effect; an act or habit of misusing words ridiculously
Learn how to use exclamation mark in your posts. Ugh! Bwahaha... I am happy you quite know that I am contagious. The next time you see me in this forum try to run for your dear life because I can infect you with a disease 'of endless talk'.

I can see you are pointing accusing finger at the wrong person on who purposely derailed the thread. You inadvertently admit of derailing the thread in your previous post.

Meanwhile, I am arguably into malapropism. It is one of the things I am prone to in written English. I don't know if it is due to multi-tasking but it is very obvious in my posts. There is nothing you can do about that. cool
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor:

These "boring life diaries" have everything to do with the topic, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

@MissMeiya
Even more interesting! I'll keep my response here terse to prevent further derailing the thread by feeding trolls. Yes, we should continue this conversation later. smiley
Not in the detail of using your personal life experiences to define others. It is preposterous to say the least! You can as well create a thread for that if you thought it is right to talk about your personal childhood activities in a public forum. grin cheesy

Thank you.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
And I thought he couldn't embarrass himself further. There's nothing more harmful than WILLFUL ignorance. Go ahead, choose not to take correction. Remain where you are.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 6:52pm On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija:
Not in the detail of using your personal life experiences to define others. It is preposterous to say the least! You can as well create a thread for that if you thought it is right to talk about your personal childhood activities in a public forum. grin cheesy
Thank you.

Are many opinions not based on "personal life experiences"? undecided undecided undecided

If you don't want to hear opinions on a topic that is based on opinions and personal experiences, then you can log out of Nairaland or go to another thread. Right? grin

Gracias.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor:

Are many opinions not based on "personal life experiences"? undecided undecided undecided

If you don't want to hear opinions on a topic that is based on opinions and personal experiences, then you can log out of Nairaland or go to another thread. Right? grin

Gracias.
Okay! I concur on your decision to continue the narrating of your personal life story here. I would gladly read it and comment on it accordingly.

No way I am going to log-out of this forum in a life time.

Eres bienvenido
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2014
MissMeiya: And I thought he couldn't embarrass himself further. There's nothing more harmful than WILLFUL ignorance. Go ahead, choose not to take correction. Remain where you are.
Oh, yeah! I think you are very funny.There is no way I am going to accept your correction without pointing out your errors as well. We are both guilty of the blame. Don't you blame it on me alone. Bwahaha....

I am always on the move, lady. You don't know anything about me though. cool

It hurts a little! How are you doing? grin cheesy
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by InesQor(m): 7:04pm On Jul 17, 2014
all4naija: Okay! I concur on your decision to continue the narrating of your personal life story here. I would gladly read it and comment on it accordingly.

No way I am going to log-out of this forum in a life time.

Eres bienvenido

LOL! Spoken like a true Nairaland addict.

Eres buena gente!
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
InesQor:

LOL! Spoken like a true Nairaland addict.

Eres buena gente!
Wow! An addict is an understatement. I am the King of Nairaland! I hope you would be one of my subjects, like MissMeiya and the others.

I don't speak good Spanish. I translated the previous one on Google Translation.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are East Africans Really BLACK???? / Black/white? / IBADAN: The City Of Warriors; The Defenders Of The Yorubas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.