Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Urgent Advice Pls - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Urgent Advice Pls (1870 Views)

Urgent Advice / Advice Pls: What Should I Do With Her If I Caught Her / Advice Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice Pls by babyme1(f): 4:53am On Jul 17, 2014
A brother was taken to court over a debt. he collected money from someone for a business transaction and the business failed. He couldnt pay tjhe money but only a part of it. police got involved and the matter was charged to court.

His wife is scared because she thinks he might be jailed. i dont know much about court cases so im asking people here if he could be jailed. The money was about -1.5million naira and he was able to pay 700'k befor the suit. He planned paying instalmentally before police got involved. Any help pls
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by ahnie: 5:53am On Jul 17, 2014
Booked.....

wait for the gladiators... they re coming.
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by Nobody: 6:23am On Jul 17, 2014
He is not going to be jailed, as far he did not deny not owing, and he has started paying! all he need to do is plead with the court to allow him pay instalmentally,

But it will be good if he has somthing to rely on to enable him convince the court, and I am sure the court will see reasons with him and tamper justice with mercy not sending him to jail but allow him pay on installment
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by babyme1(f): 7:05am On Jul 17, 2014
freeboy604: He is not going to be jailed, as far he did not deny not owing, and he has started paying! all he need to do is plead with the court to allow him pay instalmentally,

But it will be good if he has somthing to rely on to enable him convince the court, and I am sure the court will see reasons with him and tamper justice with mercy not sending him to jail but allow him pay on installment
thanks! Let me add that when police giot involved and he was arrested, they needed a surety(?) and a friend stood for him. Shiortly after the police went and arrested the surety but my bro didnt gio to the station for fear they will detain him too. But he rallied for cash n bailed d friend. It was at this point that it was charged to court with d police saying that he absconded. Is that a problem? Will d court use that against him?
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by ogawisdom(m): 7:29am On Jul 17, 2014
Debt recovery is purely civil and not a criminal case. Y is d police intimidating him, go n talk to a lawyer for legal advice

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Pls by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 17, 2014
I think he should get a lawer for advice, but whatever happen either going to court or not he should not deny the statement and the agreement he made, he should open up to a lawer so he can get a better advice

But what is the communication between him and the person he is owing, he shouldn't be rude to him, I think it's the communication between them or not abiding with the agreement that led the to arrest of his surety while the matter charge to court

But if his refusal for going to the P station is as a result of intimidation, he should also say it when he get to the court, and i am still not sure the court will jail him as far he is willing to pay, if so who will pay the dept? Please get get a lawer.
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by afrobaby(f): 5:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
Wetin, on top 800k, Nigeria sef dey owe now, why polie go come arrest person cause of loan, make them settle am for house.

The most annoying thing is, lawyers will not collect coins now, you will still have to pay the lawyer. He should get a good lawyer to help him out.
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by blank(f): 12:51pm On Jul 18, 2014
afrobaby: Wetin, on top 800k, Nigeria sef dey owe now, why polie go come arrest person cause of loan, make them settle am for house.

The most annoying thing is, lawyers will not collect coins now, you will still have to pay the lawyer. He should get a good lawyer to help him out.

Why are you talking like this? Is the money not someone's hard earned sweat? I am sure they tried all of that and failed that was why the guy had to go to court. You can even see that the guy is a stone-hearted criminal. He jumped bail and thus had his friend who stood surety for him get arrested. If it was not such a big deal, why did he not pay back the loan?

It should ordinarily be a civil case but once fraud comes into it, i t becomes a police case. If he did not want to pay lawyers, he should not have tried to bail with someone's money.
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by babyme1(f): 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
blank:

Why are you talking like this? Is the money not someone's hard earned sweat? I am sure they tried all of that and failed that was why the guy had to go to court. You can even see that the guy is a stone-hearted criminal. He jumped bail and thus had his friend who stood surety for him get arrested. If it was not such a big deal, why did he not pay back the loan?

It should ordinarily be a civil case but once fraud comes into it, i t becomes a police case. If he did not want to pay lawyers, he should not have tried to bail with someone's money.
Madam if you bothered to read the OP u will see where i stated the money was invested but d business failed . You will also see where i said he has paid 700k already n will be paying the rest instalmentally. what makes him a stone-hearted criminal then? p@other posters thanks for ad vice, :2he has a lawyer already and has made another payment of 300k to the man. Hopefully, all these will end soon
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by afrobaby(f): 5:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
blank:

Haa blank, why are you talkng like this to me now, really, the first part was just a joke. To be candid, I have a lot of people owing my husband and I, to be frank, it can be so annoying but I always say,'' DO NOT LEND OUT MONEY YOU CAN'T GIVE''. Before you can decide to borrow someone money, I believe you must have a somewhat good relationship with the person and I would not want to take someone I 'like' to court or police station over money. 800k is big money, but the bitter part is since he doesn't have money, nothing can be done until he is ready to pay
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by EfemenaXY: 1:08pm On Jul 19, 2014
babyme1: thanks! Let me add that when police giot involved and he was arrested, they needed a surety(?) and a friend stood for him. Shiortly after the police went and arrested the surety but my bro didnt gio to the station for fear they will detain him too. But he rallied for cash n bailed d friend. It was at this point that it was charged to court with d police saying that he absconded. Is that a problem? Will d court use that against him?

Why did he abscond?

That only serves to make an already bad picture look grim. So he ran away and left his wife and kids to face the music of his failings?? Some men sha...
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by blank(f): 1:09pm On Jul 19, 2014
afrobaby:

Haa blank, why are you talkng like this to me now, really, the first part was just a joke. To be candid, I have a lot of people owing my husband and I, to be frank, it can be so annoying but I always say,'' DO NOT LEND OUT MONEY YOU CAN'T GIVE''. Before you can decide to borrow someone money, I believe you must have a somewhat good relationship with the person and I would not want to take someone I 'like' to court or police station over money. 800k is big money, but the bitter part is since he doesn't have money, nothing can be done until he is ready to pay

The issue should be don't collect money and not expect any consequences when you don't pay back. Something can be done which is what he is doing now , taking him to court.
Re: Urgent Advice Pls by blank(f): 1:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
babyme1:
Madam if you bothered to read the OP u will see where i stated the money was invested but d business failed . You will also see where i said he has paid 700k already n will be paying the rest instalmentally. what makes him a stone-hearted criminal then? p@other posters thanks for ad vice, :2he has a lawyer already and has made another payment of 300k to the man. Hopefully, all these will end soon

If you read my response, I stated that he is a stone-hearted criminal because he jumped bail and allowed the friend who stood surety for him to be arrested.

Good that he has started paying. He should have started paying earlier so that it won't have reached this level and he won't be paying a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Pls by EfemenaXY: 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
blank:

The issue should be don't collect money and not expect any consequences when you don't pay back. Something can be done which is what he is doing now , taking him to court.

You know, it's amazing how Nigerians would cry you a river, tell you the saddest sob tale, implore, beg, and tug on your heartstrings when they want something from you...especially money.

But when it's time to pay up (even when they can afford to), the story always changes.

2 Likes

Re: Urgent Advice Pls by pickabeau1: 2:04pm On Jul 19, 2014
Trying to escape debt is not limited to Nigerians only...

Why do we have credit registries or bounty hunters or houses being foreclosed

(1) (Reply)

How 4 Corpers Were Taken To A Cemetery On Their Way To A Fried's Birthday Party / Are Curses Real? / Igbo-ora; The Twin Capital Of The World!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.