Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,708 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Theory Of The Modern Wife - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Theory Of The Modern Wife (26860 Views)

Why The Modern Woman Is Sad / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. / Modern Igbo Baby Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by tracyfemmmm: 4:40am On Jul 19, 2014
whether u like it or not feminism is here to stay
if u like talk about how unnatural and foolish u think it is from now till tommorrow there will always be women on the side of equal rights
can u imagine u want respect simply because u were born with a stick between ur legs,my friend park well.You can as well move to another planet because the earth is changing and moving the way of equality and there is nothing u can do to stop it.

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by tracyfemmmm: 4:44am On Jul 19, 2014
J12: Makes no sense. Men are still more mentally and physically productive than women even after all these years of equality and feminism- Almost all millionaires and billionaire are men (all over the world). Almost all entrepreneurs, captains of industries are men, leaders of thought; men still control society and government, etc.
Going by the writers reasoning of using mental output and productivity as the standard for superiority, then it should be fair to say that men are superior to women and we should demand and expect subordination and submission from women. Bill Gates should treat Melinda Gates as a slave right? grin grin grin
But that's not how it's supposed to be. Mutual respect shouldn't be based on economic and mental output as the writer is suggesting, if it were so, the world would be very unfair to women since men perform better than women in those aspects naturally. Its a civic, social and humane responsibility to treat each other as equals for the sake of the future, our conscience and our happiness.
considering that women have only be competing for less than i century i would say we have made a huge amount of progress.
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 5:27am On Jul 19, 2014
what dis feminists are truly lookin for is an undue advantage over the men like dy hav succeeded in doin in usa where d child en female population receives greater protection frm d law dan the males. equality?seriously?? last time i checked d Nigerian constitution makes use of the term nigerians/citizens en not males in its context.Am yet to come across any law whatsoever that bars women /states dat men are superior except in d sharia compliant parts of nigeria.Even most religions such as,islam and christainity urges women to be unda dir spouses as such any feminists shld be considered an atheist.their is this misleading en fractured sayin dat wat a man can do,a woman can do beta-a fallacy if logic is applied.yet its composer didnt state dat wat a woman can do,a man cn do best.
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Tallesty1(m): 6:31am On Jul 19, 2014
soonest:
The last paragraph where I first quoted u
Which of them have they not achieved?
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by joe4christ(m): 7:08am On Jul 19, 2014
lulu69: by Lucas Togan

EVER wondered why it was so easy for your MOTHER to SUBMIT to your father with less hassles than YOU do to your partner or husband? And even easier for your grandmother and the generation before hers to their spouses? Well, I think I got it figured...

A few generations ago, ECONOMIC POWER was to the PHYSICALLY strongest in society. Say biggest farmer. In the eastern part of Nigeria (Western Africa), your economic power was measured by the size of your yam barns. Men produced yams and their wives - vegetables (less energy intensive). In the western countries, it went to the owner of the biggest plantation (by all accounts men controlled the slaves that worked those fields - no women in any account I have seen or read). Needless to say that the men folk were always on top. Women had no choice but to be SUBORDINATES to their men.

However, with the rise of the Industrial Age, the power shifted from physical strength to MENTAL PRODUCTIVITY. Formal education thus became ever so important. This POWER SHIFT however introduced an element of equality between the sexes that did not exist before. Women, just like men, now had an equal chance at economic success and hence, more RELEVANCE. Whereas in the farm age men tilled the land and women cooked the harvest, women could now "till" and "cook".

As simplistic as the result of this theory might seem, women are shocked to realise that after being subjected to exactly the same conditions all through their academic pursuits and examination conditions as men, they are marginalized in the economy that they enter after graduation. Some unwritten law prevents them from reaching the heights that men routinely attain. The system seems to subject them to extra tests in order to achieve the same positions as their male counterparts who went through exactly the same academic process. If the criteria for economic relevance is academic excellence, then WOMEN expect to be EQUAL to MEN.

This is the MINDSET of the MODERN WIFE. She has been through exactly the same formative years as her husband. She probably did better than he did through those years as well and probably wields an equal or higher economic power in their union. She finds it difficult to understand how he can be SUPERIOR or even entertain the idea of any kind of superiority in their union. She wants him to ACKNOWLEDGE their EQUALITY. She wants him to CONSIDER and RESPECT her input. She does not want to fight the SYSTEM and her HUSBAND for relevance. SHE CAN NOT BE IRRELEVANT AT WORK AND AT HOME.

Being the founder of the formal education system, the west has been able to harmonise this conflict. Men have come to respect and understand the equality that women crave - at least on the home front. However, Africa still struggles with this reality because formal education is an IMPORT for us and SUBMISSION from a woman is more natural to how the African man perceives his authority in the home and society. The problem is that the AFRICAN MAN fails to realise that the modern AFRICAN WOMAN HAS COME OF AGE. She is more SELF AWARE and understands her TRUE VALUE and POTENTIAL in the ECONOMY and in LIFE. She has been properly educated and therefore emancipated from these "archaic" mind sets.

I believe that the solution is for the African man to seek a paradigm shift. He should not see equality as insubordination, rather he should consider it a challenge from the wife and seek other ways to earn her trust and submission rather than constantly resorting to the archaic means of COERCION, DEPRIVATION, THREATS and BATTERY.

Lucas Togan tweets from @ltspark ; also www.facebook.com/sparkchange

Now, this is one of the reasons why most brothers prefer remaining bachelors than getting tied to a 'modern woman' who sees herself as equal to her partner, and so therefore, he must either earn her respect or get disrespected.
And this is one reason why they'll get old searching for a responsible husband irrespective of their wealth and archievements - No reasonable African man is settling for this sh¡t.
They should go marry themselves.
Smh!
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by joe4christ(m): 7:32am On Jul 19, 2014
4tunebest:

Honestly, you can say that again. I wonder how being a modern wife translates to being a feminist. Are all modern women feminists?Aren't there modern women who easily submit to their husbands? Submission from a wife can only be EARNED, It can't be forced. Even if you force submission out of a woman, it won't last.

A real man earns the submission of his wife, so she finds it easy to submit to him. Only a weakling tries to force submission out of his wife. Such weaklings aren't deserving of being called the head of a home

C'mon shut up, so what are the moral your parent instilled on you while growing up, doesn't that ought to amount to something tangible in your new home?
So, you threw all those value cos you're now a 'modern woman' huh?
You cant seek equality and at thesame time expect your hubby to treate you with respect, care and tenderness every woman deserves from her man, you cant eat you cake and still have it - You be thief
You cannot, i repeat, cannot submit to someone you see yourself as equal to, and this is the major reasons why divorse rate even in the western world is just way too much...
So, keep clamouring for equality and hope you get satisfied with the way your home will turn out to be...
Dayuuum!

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by DatsAll1mSayin(m): 9:12am On Jul 19, 2014
This feminism issue has really been over-flogged. let me give my thoughts based on the home front since i believe that is the principal issue here.

Note:The Nigerian Society is quite liberal when compared to other places like the Iran or Afghanistan etc. Our women have legal freedom, are allowed to reach socio-economic heights, Career heights and so on... Gender Equality should not stray beyond Socio-Economic and Legal issues. What a man enjoys in a society, a woman should also enjoy. ''Equal Rights''.

For example, I earn more than my fiancee at the moment. But i do love and respect her. If the table ever turns and she earns more than me, I would expect her to act likewise and not boss me around, since i do not boss her around. Herein lies the issue.

As for equality in marriages, there is no such thing as a fifty-fifty arrangement and that is why we have so many divorces. In marriage, it's 100% giving by both parties. If your woman loves you, she would do anything for you. If you love your woman you would do anything for her. Once you have that mindset of ''I am responsible for half or a larger part of the bills, so he should do half or most of the chores''or ''I paid her bride price so I must lord it over her'', you are not going to have a marriage.

No right thinking man who gets home early say around 4 pm, will sit on the couch and wait for his wife who comes home by 8 pm to come and do his laundry or dishes. However, women should not make this sort of thing a rights issue. I do it because I love you. Not because it is expected and vice versa (Our Naija babes tend to make it a rights issue o! cheesy).

Summary: You know how them old folks kept a happy home, 100% giving. Let's not feminise home issues.

6 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by coachwilcox(m): 9:30am On Jul 19, 2014
tracyfemmmm: whether u like it or not feminism is here to stay
if u like talk about how unnatural and foolish u think it is from now till tommorrow there will always be women on the side of equal rights
can u imagine u want respect simply because u were born with a stick between ur legs,my friend park well.You can as well move to another planet because the earth is changing and moving the way of equality and there is nothing u can do to stop it.

And you want equality simply because you were born with a space between your legs....even though you achieved nothing. Truth is many of these self proclaimed feminists, somewhere out there some bad boy is tired of putting up with their ish.

They are the type who keep getting used by bad boy players and in the end they seek one feminised, p##sy whipped man to marry. Some dude who's been glorifying and waiting for them to consider him for marriage. A brain washed man.

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by coachwilcox(m): 9:44am On Jul 19, 2014
Truth is on my observation, feminism is thriving not because of the women but for the p##sy whipped, feminised, weak and gullible men who are buying into the crap and encouraging it.

I respect my woman because she is a woman. I have my roles and she has hers. Feminists want equality but want you to be a man when it favours them. They are so quick to ask you to earn their respect but haven't stated what would make them earn yours.

I always refer to the bible when I'm talking about issues like this.

The good book tells me that the woman was made for the man and not the man for the woman. It also tells me just a Christ is the head of the church, man is the head of the woman. Finally it says she should have deep respect for her husband with no conditions attached.

Some of you feminists should read the qualities of a capable woman as stated in proverbs and see whether you meet a tenth of that criteria.

Feminism is Satanist. Satan approached eve and not Adam and sold the idea of being like (equal to ) God. The end result is where we are now. Now they trying to be equal to man. What's the end result? Divorce rates spiralling, many single ladies, etc

Beyonce sang single ladies to fool y'all and went home to her husband leaving you clinging yo your pillow at night.

Wake up and clear your mind. If you wanna be cherished by your man, be a woman. Stop trying to be a man.

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by realvenc: 6:04pm On Jul 19, 2014
Very intelligent and genuine write up.
You just highlighted the issues we face as a society and without showing any gender bias.
Evil is bad and has no gender, age or religion. The problem is we tend to blame the other party for our shortcomings.

gohome: Feminism.

A dirty word in some circles. When I hear the word, I think of fiery black women with dreadlocks or white women in badly fitting suits. Don’t ask me where these images come from; I don’t know. I do want to know: what’s all the fuss about?

I am a Nigerian woman. I am educated. I hold a job that pays me the same as my male colleagues. I voted in the last election. I can drive. I can own property… Now that I think about it, what exactly does being female forbid me from?

I can’t be out by myself late at night. Common sense. I could be robbed and/or raped. But that isn’t feminism’s war. That’s a function of security. A guy would be vulnerable too. Well, being female puts you at a disadvantage in the corporate world, some say. You can’t be a top-level executive. And they have stats to prove it. I’ll get back to that in a bit.

There are societal norms about how I should interact in society as a woman. But I think that those norms are shaped by the family I grew up in. I was told I was intelligent. Not relative to a boy. Intelligent in my right. The world was my oyster, the sky my limit, my life was charmed. My future was placed before me in pragmatic terms. I could be a career woman like my mother, keep a store close to home like both my grandmothers or be a housewife like many of my cousins. Each was a valid option and growing up, I was exposed to the pros and cons of each.

And this is the thing. A woman should have choices. We may not always agree with those choices (to stay with an abusive husband, to never marry, to take up a job, to become a housewife, to drop out of school) but they’re hers.

I was taught to respect men, to honour the man I would eventually marry. I like to think that my future husband was taught to respect women, like my brother was taught, like my sons will be. But I was also taught to pay for my drink. To be content with what I had. To earn my money without selling my dignity.

Society didn’t teach me this. Family did.

Yesterday, I took a male friend out to dinner. I called the waitress over. I requested the menu. I ordered. And when we were done, I requested the bill. When she got to our table, the waitress made to give it to him. I stretched out my hand to take it. She ignored me, and still pushed it to him. He smiled and handed it to me. The look on her face as I counted out the money from my wallet was priceless. Was I offended? No. Amused, more like. And frankly, I considered it too small to hold a grudge. I don’t blame society, I understand that it’s a function of her family and upbringing.

And then, there are bars/restaurants/clubs who refuse entry to unaccompanied women. On one hand, I find it amusing that a public establishment would seek to make moral choices for its patrons. On the other hand, I would boycott such an establishment. If you don’t want my custom, why would I force it on you? My own money? But I also think that this is a petty battle, and one I wouldn’t waste effort on.

What battles would I be interested in? Poverty alleviation. I hear of families that send only their sons to school because they think their daughters could do no better than to marry well. But often, these families can’t afford to send everyone and so they have to make a choice the best they know how. But what if they could afford to send them both? Would they still refuse? I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. And so our battle should be getting them across the poverty line. I know a mother who runs a small kiosk to support her family. Getting a bank loan to expand her business would be difficult. But that’s not because she’s female. Her husband is a vulcanizer (Nigerian term for a person who fixes tyres), and I daresay getting a loan would be difficult for him as well. It’s not really a gender problem, but one of class distinction.

Gender equality battles aren’t complete if we don’t fight for men’s rights, as well. Does this sound odd?

Back to the corporate arena. I overheard female colleagues complain that we aren’t well represented in our company’s leadership. They insist that D & I should be brought to bear. I differ. Leadership should be given to the most capable, not shared between the genders. If I want to be manager (as a male or a female), I have to work harder and longer than my peers to develop the right competencies faster. That’s easier when I’m unencumbered by family commitments. However, if after getting those competencies, I was turned down and the job given to a less competent male, then I would cry foul.

If I have a family, it gets harder. Some jobs are inherently incompatible with raising a family. With a family, I simply will not have enough time to develop those competencies faster than my peers. As a parent, I have a responsibility to raise my child. I can’t balance this with working long hours unless I have a very supportive husband. Let’s say he supports me 100% and he’s willing to take responsibility for our child. If he’s a house-husband, this is easy. But house-husbands aren’t common. Men have not been wired by their families to be house-husbands. So he has a job. Will his job let him close at 3.30 to pick our child from school? Will his job allow him take the afternoon off to take our child to hospital? Or his school’s soccer game? No. Women get those breaks in some companies, men hardly ever. And so this is what I think should be feminism’s cause. Flexible working hours for both sexes, so that each spouse can choose to support the other. Not just women, but men too. My husband should get paternity leave as long as mine so that if I choose to return to work a week postpartum, he can stay home to care for our infant. Amen?

There is the aside that even with these perks, some men would not support their wives’ ambitions. A shame, but that’s all it is. Society (or a movement) cannot force a man to support his wife, it’s a personal choice. The same way it’s a wife’s personal choice to support her husband.

But don’t hand me a promotion because it’s the politically correct thing to do. It’s an insult to my intelligence, and tells me I wouldn’t have been good enough otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 19, 2014
Scyllapatron: @OP - must you put Africa to make a point?? if you travel round the middle east, you would give Africa some credits. FYI women are not even allowed to drive in some developed Arab countries, yet when people talk about women liberation, they focus on Africa.

Mtchew. I was about saying this as well. We are our grestest eneny. Africa this, Africa that. Even in europe men still do not accept some shit, forget about law.

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
4tunebest:

Honestly, you can say that again. I wonder how being a modern wife translates to being a feminist. Are all modern women feminists?Aren't there modern women who easily submit to their husbands? Submission from a wife can only be EARNED, It can't be forced. Even if you force submission out of a woman, it won't last.

A real man earns the submission of his wife, so she finds it easy to submit to him. Only a weakling tries to force submission out of his wife. Such weaklings aren't deserving of being called the head of a home
Can you please define a real man
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 19, 2014
4tunebest:

Can you please define a real man so we know
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by damiso(f): 6:58pm On Jul 19, 2014

A dirty word in some circles. When I hear the word, I think of fiery black women with dreadlocks or white women in badly fitting suits. Don’t ask me where these images come from; I don’t know. I do want to know: what’s all the fuss about?

I am a Nigerian woman. I am educated. I hold a job that pays me the same as my male colleagues. I voted in the last election. I can drive. I can own property… Now that I think about it, what exactly does being female forbid me from?

I can’t be out by myself late at night. Common sense. I could be robbed and/or raped. But that isn’t feminism’s war. That’s a function of security. A guy would be vulnerable too. Well, being female puts you at a disadvantage in the corporate world, some say. You can’t be a top-level executive. And they have stats to prove it. I’ll get back to that in a bit.

There are societal norms about how I should interact in society as a woman. But I think that those norms are shaped by the family I grew up in. I was told I was intelligent. Not relative to a boy. Intelligent in my right. The world was my oyster, the sky my limit, my life was charmed. My future was placed before me in pragmatic terms. I could be a career woman like my mother, keep a store close to home like both my grandmothers or be a housewife like many of my cousins. Each was a valid option and growing up, I was exposed to the pros and cons of each.

And this is the thing. A woman should have choices. We may not always agree with those choices (to stay with an abusive husband, to never marry, to take up a job, to become a housewife, to drop out of school) but they’re hers.

I was taught to respect men, to honour the man I would eventually marry. I like to think that my future husband was taught to respect women, like my brother was taught, like my sons will be. But I was also taught to pay for my drink. To be content with what I had. To earn my money without selling my dignity.

Yesterday, I took a male friend out to dinner. I called the waitress over. I requested the menu. I ordered. And when we were done, I requested the bill. When she got to our table, the waitress made to give it to him. I stretched out my hand to take it. She ignored me, and still pushed it to him. He smiled and handed it to me. The look on her face as I counted out the money from my wallet was priceless. Was I offended? No. Amused, more like. And frankly, I considered it too small to hold a grudge. I don’t blame society, I understand that it’s a function of her family and upbringing.

And then, there are bars/restaurants/clubs who refuse entry to unaccompanied women. On one hand, I find it amusing that a public establishment would seek to make moral choices for its patrons. On the other hand, I would boycott such an establishment. If you don’t want my custom, why would I force it on you? My own money? But I also think that this is a petty battle, and one I wouldn’t waste effort on.

What battles would I be interested in? Poverty alleviation. I hear of families that send only their sons to school because they think their daughters could do no better than to marry well. But often, these families can’t afford to send everyone and so they have to make a choice the best they know how. But what if they could afford to send them both? Would they still refuse? I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. And so our battle should be getting them across the poverty line. I know a mother who runs a small kiosk to support her family. Getting a bank loan to expand her business would be difficult. But that’s not because she’s female. Her husband is a vulcanizer (Nigerian term for a person who fixes tyres), and I daresay getting a loan would be difficult for him as well. It’s not really a gender problem, but one of class distinction.

Gender equality battles aren’t complete if we don’t fight for men’s rights, as well. Does this sound odd?

Back to the corporate arena. I overheard female colleagues complain that we aren’t well represented in our company’s leadership. They insist that D & I should be brought to bear. I differ. Leadership should be given to the most capable, not shared between the genders. If I want to be manager (as a male or a female), I have to work harder and longer than my peers to develop the right competencies faster. That’s easier when I’m unencumbered by family commitments. However, if after getting those competencies, I was turned down and the job given to a less competent male, then I would cry foul.

If I have a family, it gets harder. Some jobs are inherently incompatible with raising a family. With a family, I simply will not have enough time to develop those competencies faster than my peers. As a parent, I have a responsibility to raise my child. I can’t balance this with working long hours unless I have a very supportive husband. Let’s say he supports me 100% and he’s willing to take responsibility for our child. If he’s a house-husband, this is easy. But house-husbands aren’t common. Men have not been wired by their families to be house-husbands. So he has a job. Will his job let him close at 3.30 to pick our child from school? Will his job allow him take the afternoon off to take our child to hospital? Or his school’s soccer game? No. Women get those breaks in some companies, men hardly ever. And so this is what I think should be feminism’s cause. Flexible working hours for both sexes, so that each spouse can choose to support the other. Not just women, but men too. My husband should get paternity leave as long as mine so that if I choose to return to work a week postpartum, he can stay home to care for our infant. Amen?

There is the aside that even with these perks, some men would not support their wives’ ambitions. A shame, but that’s all it is. Society (or a movement) cannot force a man to support his wife, it’s a personal choice. The same way it’s a wife’s personal choice to support her husband.

But don’t hand me a promotion because it’s the politically correct thing to do. It’s an insult to my intelligence, and tells me I wouldn’t have been good enough otherwise.

Well said..
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 19, 2014
Ngokafor:

Exactly!..mega boring infact..

They are so blinded by their egos that even women who complain about mal-treatment and abuse from their husbands are labelled 'feminists' and villified for 'daring' to speak out!..

Sometimes you just wonder at the thought process of these folks..I guess its an african thing.

Anyway, na who get their time dey engage them in endless back and forth arguements that honestly makes no sense.
What is ego. You all should face every issues on its own. Those that started bringbackourgirls are women. If the government now decides that only female soldiers should go and bring them can they(female) withstand the heat. Men abuse women and women abuse men period. Moreover what is ego. Ego is simply what the soviety makes of you or you friends make of you. Damn it
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Oahray: 3:02pm On Jul 24, 2014

wow! I totally love this! I just had to quote the whole thing. Now here's a lady with lots of self-esteem, not those feminists playing the gender victim card at every opportunity and demonising men to make themselves feel better with their lives. Respect!

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by bukatyne(f): 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2015
gohome:
Feminism.

I support the bolded 100%
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Chinum: 1:18pm On Apr 14, 2015
cronsberg:
Women: A demonic snake like creature that bleeds a whole week out of every month yet never die
cheesy cheesy cheesy d ogun wey dey follow U 4rm villa no be here o. grin

Let me ask you people something, have you ever seen a woman brain/heart surgeon? Yet even a woman nurse want to be paid same as a surgeon because they are women.
Have you ever seen a woman oil rig worker e.g off the coast of nigeria, or deep in the north sea, or deep in the alaskan oil fields. Not a single woman, yet even if she is a pump attendant, she wants to be paid like those working on the rigs because she is a woman.
Majority of the riskiest jobs in the world are manned by men e.g Military, Oil rig workers, Underground miners, Nuclear plant operators, construction workers, Refinery workers e.t.c therefore men deserve better benefits, but no, women want equal or even better benefits even though majority of them work in offices and other very safe jobs. Mind you even the small salaries and benefits men get are spend on women again. Women are the most selfish tight handed creatures on earth, she can be earning a million naira a month, but try asking her to dash you one kobo, or buy you recharge card, or take you to a fancy resturant dinner, or buy you a BB phone e.t.c thats the moment she will frown face and dismiss you.

[color=#006600]Quatsch!! Damn too narrow minded.

[/color].

dear women, its your greediness that will kill you. . cry and I thought I heard it all. (

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fashola's Wife Welcomes Lagos First Baby Of 2015 (photo) / How To Increase Intimacy In Marriages / Husband Flees After Wife Delivers Triplets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.