Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,092 members, 7,957,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:51 AM

Theory Of The Modern Wife - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Theory Of The Modern Wife (26963 Views)

Why The Modern Woman Is Sad / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. / Modern Igbo Baby Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Dygeasy(m): 8:51am On Jul 18, 2014
I have no problem with the OP or FEMINISM. Infact I support feminism with my soul and body but how many of the female folks are willing to be truly equal in every circumstance? Especially in Africa.

They preach feminism when it comes to position, money and other simpler stuff. Do y'all truly want to have the roles reversed?

Welcome to our world. cool

2 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 18, 2014
1one:

So is using capital letter your attempt to prove you're equal to a man? angry
GO AND CHECK ALL MY POSTS.MOST OF THE TIMES I WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERSundecided

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 18, 2014
cococandy: The crap sold on NL
It's amazing.
Some will tell you it's a grand conspiracy against marriages worldwide grin
DON'T MIND THEM.THEY TALK WITHOUT BOTHERING TO FIND OUT IF WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE OR FALSE gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Horlawoomey(m): 8:54am On Jul 18, 2014
Every Feminist is an Atheist, cos you can't hold the believe that is contrary to God's decree and think you believe in God. . . .

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by chemmerfrank(m): 8:54am On Jul 18, 2014
is the writer lamenting or protesting or informing or submitting? dnt tell us about the west, we can work this thing out the african way..and by the way I think women are already given enough importance...except in politics..which they will soon
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by 1one: 8:54am On Jul 18, 2014
dhammyg:
OKAY MA.
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 18, 2014
Lol. Sum comments hia is amusing. grin
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by 1one: 8:55am On Jul 18, 2014
Horlawoomey: Every Feminist is an Atheist, cos you can't hold the believe that is contrary to God's decree and think you believe in God. . . .
Good word there!
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by onome710(m): 8:55am On Jul 18, 2014
All I notice around me is not 'gender equality' but promotion of 'double standards'
if women wanna be equated with men, they should be ready to be equated in all ramifications.
U all know what I'm sayin... #walksoff
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by bukatyne(f): 9:00am On Jul 18, 2014
lulu69: @bukatyne - when you say I am mixing issues it will be preferred if you highlighted the aspect of my confusion by quoting a part of the article and proferring a solution or contrary view point. Don't just say ur observation without prof.

Apologies

I will do so
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by CoachDX: 9:01am On Jul 18, 2014
Here comes the problem! Since she has gone through 'the same' process that made her man, then the man should recorgnize the equality? That's wrong! I think we shouldn't forget the culture that brought us here, the values that our woman seem to modify now. There's no theory that should support a woman not being submissive to her man. . .no theory should support gender equality in the home. That could be in the social sphere but not as a wife in the home. I've once said, if a woman claim to be equal to me as a 'modern wife'. . .it's simple, i will also share the bills into two equal part, she pays just as much as i pay. Now, what kind of a woman would want that in marriage.

You see, we can talk about gender equality outside there but when it comes to making a home and a lasting one in view, it doesn't apply. Responsible men wants no slave as a wife, some want no uneducated gender as a woman but claiming to have the same measure of rights with me? You'd better marry the process that made you think you're equal to me.

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by crackhaus: 9:03am On Jul 18, 2014
cococandy: Explain biko.
I edited my first post already...but here it is:

crackhaus:
For example, what has statements like "if a man
can cheat and be hailed for it, a woman should
also cheat and not be crucified for it"
got to
do with equality?

Let me add others:
What has sharing chores or cooking based on who first got home got to do with equality?

Why have African women converted the purpose of equality from being purely an economic and social movement which seeks equal opportunities and standing for both sexes into a fight for supremacy in the institution of marriage?

Was equality ever about marriage?

And if African women now want to make it about marriage, why are these women still collecting bride price on their heads for marriage, which essentially by all economic definitions is buying and selling (purchase)?
These women are paid for and want to come into the marriage with an air of wanting marital equality (which in essence is competitiveness) ....so what gives?

7 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 18, 2014
CoachDX: Here comes the problem! Since she has gone through 'the same' process that made her man, then the man should recorgnize the equality? That's wrong! I think we shouldn't forget the culture that brought us here, the values that our woman seem to modify now. There's no theory that should support a woman not being submissive to her man. . .no theory should support gender equality in the home. That could be in the social sphere but not as a wife in the home. I've once said, if a woman claim to be equal to me as a 'modern wife'. . .it's simple, i will also share the bills into two equal part, she pays just as much as i pay. Now, what kind of a woman would want that in marriage.

You see, we can talk about gender equality outside there but when it comes to making a home and a lasting one in view, it doesn't apply. Responsible men wants no slave as a wife, some want no uneducated gender as a woman but claiming to have the same measure of rights with me? You'd better marry the process that made you think you're equal to me.

Actually that already applies in a lot of homes, a lot of women pay half the bills. In fact in some homes women pay a higher percentage of the bills. We have more home these days where the wife is te primary breadwinner.

5 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Dygeasy(m): 9:08am On Jul 18, 2014
dhammyg:
RULE 11: Do not create distracting posts e.g posts in giant fonts, ALL CAPS or with silly gifs.

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by UjSizzle(f): 9:10am On Jul 18, 2014
I don't get why there should be a single rule guiding how a family should be run. Everyone should just do what works best for them please. All this feminism talk is really tiring undecided

6 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by CoachDX: 9:12am On Jul 18, 2014
tatiana009:

Actually that already applies in a lot of homes, a lot of women pay half the bills. In fact in some homes women pay a higher percentage of the bills. We have more home these days where the wife is te primary breadwinner.
In as much as i agree with you, that was never sponsored by a claim of being equal in the home. . .just a phase they're going through you know.

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by profjendor(m): 9:13am On Jul 18, 2014
I wonder why people are having brain hemorrhage because of equal rights, every persons wit his own...........role reversal is the new thing onboard. All men are equal, but some are more equal than the other. Cheers.
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by djeoziv(m): 9:13am On Jul 18, 2014
#conditional statement.

If:
Men....love Ur wife...
Women.... Submit even if u have billions..... Women don't take love to be an issue. Its naturally inbuilt except u r freaking spoilt.

Then:

Simply it brings the multiply effect called PEACE.

If u turn it over, u r on Ur own.

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Tallesty1(m): 9:14am On Jul 18, 2014
dhammyg:
FEMINISM STARTED WAY BACK IN THE 19TH CENTURY BY THOSE DEMANDING 4 SUFFRAGE FOR WOMEN.AND YES 1 IN 3 WOMEN WILL BE SEXUALLY ABUSED IN THEIR LIFETIME.SO PLS DO UR RESEARCH B4 U TALK.

AND MEN STILL EARN MORE THAN WOMEN EVEN WHEN WOMEN WORK THE SAME TIME AS THEM.AND WOMEN ARE STILL REGARDED AS INFERIOR IN MANY SOCIETIES!!!!
She believed those lies
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 18, 2014
@Bukatyne, U are right!
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Tallesty1(m): 9:15am On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=cococandy][/quote]cute
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by ireneidiva(f): 9:16am On Jul 18, 2014
1one:

So is using capital letters your attempt to prove you're equal to a man? angry
YES!
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 18, 2014
Tallesty1: She believed those lies
DUDE.GO AND DO A RESEARCH THESE ARE NOT LIES.
BYE
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 18, 2014
CoachDX:
In as much as i agree with you, that was never sponsored by a claim of being equal in the home. . .just a phase they're going through you know.

I was simply correcting the impression you gave earlier which made it seem as if women paying half the bills would be a new thing. It's not in all homes that it's just a phase, there are homes where from the beginning the wife earns more and takes care of a higher percentage of the bills and it remains like that. As for the topic, this issue has been over flogged, the dynamics of every marriage is different so let each couple decide on how they want to run things. If you're a woman who believes in equality simply marry a man who believes in the same ad vice versa.

4 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Bigloaf: 9:18am On Jul 18, 2014
pls can some one they us what is Feminism.
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by taiwoti(m): 9:18am On Jul 18, 2014
For me, I strongly believe there is nothing like feminism and it has a weak basis, let's take it from here, all the evidence from the beginning of creation suggests that there is no iota of equality between both folks, why do u think if a lady ventures into what a man does they age quickly, why do u think we don't get to see ladies serve in the front lines of our military, why do u think ladies weep at every instance of joy and sadness, why do u think ladies moan when they are under there men, why do think its only women and children gets safety in times of war and conflict, why do u think men can sleep around and get away with it,why do u think you are more emotional in a relationship, all this and many more are clear evidence to suggest we are not equal, we should see modernisation as a soft tool to broaden our horizon about this and just appreciate our uniqueness , this is not a desperate attempt to offend the females, but its an attempt to make females realise and appreciate there distinct role and value in this world, as a female learn and thank God for the way you are and strife more to be better.

4 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by Tallesty1(m): 9:20am On Jul 18, 2014
dhammyg:
DUDE.GO AND DO A RESEARCH THESE ARE NOT LIES.
BYE
NICE DAY
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by marisd(f): 9:22am On Jul 18, 2014
thank God that some pple ( men) are really finding the importance of women as substantive value
Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by igbonla(m): 9:22am On Jul 18, 2014
4tunebest:

Honestly, you can say that again. I wonder how being a modern wife translates to being a feminist. Are all modern women feminists?Aren't there modern women who easily submit to their husbands? Submission from a wife can only be EARNED, It can't be forced. Even if you force submission out of a woman, it won't last.

A real man earns the submission of his wife, so she finds it easy to submit to him. Only a weakling tries to force submission out of his wife. Such weaklings aren't deserving of being called the head of a home

Don't usually comment on threads like this and my opinion is a lot different from what everybody is writing but I wish to correct your statement that submission is earned (at least the Bible did not say so) and also let you know that the Bible preaches mutual submission. The submission preached in the Bible is not conditional but I apologize if you are of different faith.

1 Like

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by ireneidiva(f): 9:25am On Jul 18, 2014
Tallesty1: I said. You can dig deep too if you wana know. You don't expect them to openly declare themselves lesbians at the initial stage knowing full the punishment that awaits them. It was in the second wave feminism movement that people started noticing them, they started showing therselves gradually because they have gained a little ground. The first wave feminists were lesbians mostly. They used lies to actually trick straight women into adopting the lesbian lifestyle.
Mtchew. Crap. What is it about feminisim that even threatens you guys

3 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by cococandy(f): 9:28am On Jul 18, 2014
crackhaus:
I edited my first post already...but here it is:

do you know for a fact that that is a statement made by every equality activist or you read that from a few and used it to form your general impression of the others?

as regards sexual behaviour,I and a lot sensible women I know don't excuse promiscuity in men.and do not think promiscuity in women is the answer to that. Teaching sexual restraint to men as is taught to women from childhood is my idea of what a possible solution to that can be

Let me add others:
What has sharing chores or cooking based on who first got home got to do with equality?

really? This? I don't know how to address this but it is funny. Kind of. Let me reply with a question. So if a man doesn't help out at home even if he has more time on his hands it's ok because he's the head of the family and doing it for his family will mean ultimate demotion fom his throne? I don't even see what such a thing as this has to do with equality BTW. If two mature people can't work out a good living arrangement,maybe they shouldn't get married in the first place.

Why have African women converted the purpose of equality from being purely an economic and social movement which seeks equal opportunities and standing for both sexes into a fight for supremacy in the institution of marriage?

I think it is the men who do that more. Everytime equality is mentioned,you see them frothing and throwing fits as if the whole world should abandon something so noble because their insecurities makes them afraid of impending mutiny on their ships of which they are the captian grin. Not saying some women don't misunderstand and abuse/trivialize what equality stands for. But from my days on NL,it is the men who are more gulity of this. Most don't get that nobody is interested in ruining their marriages for them. But they insists that it is an anti-marriage movement. Insecurities

Was equality ever about marriage?

I didn't think so

And if African women now want to make it about marriage, why are these women still collecting bride price on their heads for marriage, which essentially by all economic definitions is buying and selling (purchase)?

women collect bride price? Or our fathers(MEN) do? Do you know how many women will vote against brideprice if it comes to voting? Ask questions

These women are paid for

do you now see why many women will vote against this if given a choice? You perform marriage rites according to your culture and it means to you that you've bought a human being. Many men think like this too and it reflects in the way they treat their wives. Which is what then brings the notion of power tussle in marriage. If y'all don't act like you bought your wives,your wives won't feel the need break free from such glorified slave positions. As long as the mindset remains that you bought your wives,y'all will keep treating them like they are beneath you and they'll keep revolting. And we'll keep having this arguments on nairaland

and want to come in to the marriage with an air of wanting marital equality (which in essence is competitiveness) ....so what gives?

your life partner is equal to you. Unless both of you aren't mature,there's nothing about equality that makes it competitiveness. It's about being as fair to the other as you'd want them to be to you.

6 Likes

Re: Theory Of The Modern Wife by CoachDX: 9:29am On Jul 18, 2014
tatiana009:

I was simply correcting the impression you gave earlier which made it seem as if women paying half the bills would be a new thing. It's not in all homes that it's just a phase, there are homes where from the beginning the wife earns more and takes care of a higher percentage of the bills and it remains like that. As for the topic, this issue has been over flogged, the dynamics of every marriage is different so let each couple decide on how they want to run things. If you're a woman who believes in equality simply marry a man who believes in the same ad vice versa.
The point remain, my impression was sponsored by the subject. Now, if that happens in a home as you've said and i agreed, it's never a decision made because of equal gender right in the home. Again, what kind of man would want his woman to pay higher bills because she earns more than him and as well want it to "remain like that" in the home. . .bro, do you know what you're saying?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fell@tio and cunnil!ngu.s-a Taboo In African Marriages. Where Do We Start? / 11-Year-Old Girl Impregnated By 50-Year-Old Brother-In-Law Gives Birth In Guinea / 2 Men Lay Claims To A Baby Boy In Edo (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.