Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,176 members, 7,835,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death (520 Views)

Asari Dokubo Told To Leave Ndigbo Alone In His Propaganda / Chad President Tells Boko Haram Leader To Surrender Or Face Death / Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death by juventino: 5:04pm On Jul 18, 2014
Iraq Christians told to convert or face death
Imran Khan
Last updated: 3 hours ago
Islamic State group tells Christian community in Mosul they face death if they do not embrace Islam or pay tax.

The Islamic State group has threatened Christians in the Iraqi city of Mosul with death if they do not to convert to Islam or pay a tax, Al Jazeera has learned.

The Sunni rebel group issued the orders in a letter after Friday prayers. The document, obtained by Al Jazeera, states that the order was issued after Christian leaders failed to attend a meeting called by the group.

In response, the group says in the letter that Christians must either convert to Islam, pay a special tax on non-Muslims known as jiziya, or face death "as a last resort".

Mosul, Iraq's second largest city, was overrun by the Islamic State group and allied rebel groups last month.

The Iraqi army units stationed in the city, most of whom were Shia, fled after the group crossed from Syria and attacked the north of Iraq.

Before the attack, Mosul's Christian community was estimated at 3,000. Many are believed to have already fled the city as part of an exodus of up to one-third of the population. Churches and Christian-owned shops in the city were reported smashed by those who fled.

The Islamic State's leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, held a sermon in Mosul's grand mosque two weeks ago, calling on all Muslims to unite behind his group.

The Islamic State, formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, has issued similar demands in areas in control in Syria, and has posted pictures of Christians being crucified for disobeying orders in Raqqa.

Church leader‎s in Iraq have not responded to the threats officially.

Nickolay Mladenov, the head of the UN assistance mission In Iraq, condemned the order.

"Any persecution of minorities constitutes a crime against humanity and we urge all sides to protect civilians. We have produced a report listing attacks on civilians ‎and have brought this up at the highest levels of the Iraqi government."

http://m.aljazeera.com/index/home
Re: Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death by juventino: 5:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
Do they really want peace? What they fail to understand is everyone should be free to associate with whatever religion they want. I guess the world would be better off without religion. embarassed
Re: Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death by Caleboha(m): 5:06pm On Jul 18, 2014

1 Like

Re: Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death by Caleboha(m): 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
Caleboha: Its a cult with fiercely manned territories. Join or die, leave and die. Remove the death penalty clause attached to membership of this deadly cult and more than half of them would no longer practice islam.
Re: Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death by Osode: 5:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
juventino: Do they really want peace? What they fail to understand is everyone should be free to associate with whatever religion they want. I guess the world would be better off without religion. embarassed
Er... Bros
Keep your rubbish to yourself and the Bloodsuckers (who I'm sure will not even tolerate this nonsense from you 'free thinkers' and atheists). You sit amidst the freedoms granted you in societies built or influenced by Christian Thought an and Philosophies and take the luxury of those freedoms to say what you like. Because you know that christians will not reach out for a knife and gouge out your Tongues. Nonsense, Why dont you Agnostics leave the comfort zone we Christians afford you and go to Bhagdad, Kano or better still Borno and tell them this bright Idea of yours!! ....

1 Like

Re: Iraq Christians Told To Convert Or Face Death by juventino: 5:39pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=Caleboha][/quote]

I may partially agree with you bro. But I have few Muslim friends that never supported such act. I feel the Quran is misinterpreted by these extremists. (I'm a Christian)

(1) (Reply)

Mr. President, There Is Nothing Worse Than Boko Haram / Imo 2015: Nzeribe Writes Off Okorocha / Affordable Bulk Sms With Great Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.