Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? (31861 Views)

Why Does The Milk Always Finish Before The Bournvita? / The Price Of Garri / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by pazienza(m): 1:37pm On Jul 20, 2014
nagoma:

You have tried. But I'm amazes at the intellectual bankruptcy on nairaland. No attempt to read or to think at all. So sorry.

I don't know where the name Garri comes from but there is a very old Hausa word Gari (same pronunciation with Garri ). It means any powdery ground material especially foodstuff. Ground grains eg Garin Dawa (guinea corn Garri ) Garin masara ( maize flower) Garin sugar. It can also be other substances eg Garin Magani ( ground medicine like alabukum powder.)
Ground food stuff ((cereal) mixed with water used to be the major diet in the north many centuries ago. This was especially so for travelers who cannot always carry cooked meals. Traveling on horseback on donkeys and trekking takes very long time and required ready fast food. For example nowadays 1hr 15min. Takes you to kano from Zaria. Before 120 years ago it was a standard 5 days journey and you need to take a lot of "garri" with you.
The age of this ancient word in Hausa language can be realized by its occurence in old proverbs and in the naming of towns and villages.
1. "Yaro da Garri Abokin tafiyar manya". Meaning - A young boy who has Garri (powdered cereal) can journey with the elders.
2. Wanda Allah Ya zuba Ma GARInsa nono Ba zai sha da tsamiya Ba. Meaning- who God powers milk in his Garri he will not have to drink it with just tamarind. ( milk with Garri was luxury while tamarind fruit available in the forest can just improve the taste.)
3." Wanka da GARI ba ya maganin yunwa. " Meaning- taking bath with Garri is not a cure for hunger.
Think about the meaning of these 3 old proverbs.
You may also remember an old town in sokoto state called "Shagari"( where a former president comes from.) The name denotes affluence as indicated by a lot of Garri you can drink.

Now,this quite detailed,insightful and plausible.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Itoroetti(m): 1:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
local name in ibibio-iwa
local name in ekid-nkim udok
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by rhemal: 1:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
LMAyedun: The chemical name is Garrium monosodium glutamate cool

professor of garriology
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by kmariko: 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2014
nagoma:

You have tried. But I'm amazes at the intellectual bankruptcy on nairaland. No attempt to read or to think at all. So sorry.

I don't know where the name Garri comes from but there is a very old Hausa word Gari (same pronunciation with Garri ). It means any powdery ground material especially foodstuff. Ground grains eg Garin Dawa (guinea corn Garri ) Garin masara ( maize flower) Garin sugar. It can also be other substances eg Garin Magani ( ground medicine like alabukum powder.)
Ground food stuff ((cereal) mixed with water used to be the major diet in the north many centuries ago. This was especially so for travelers who cannot always carry cooked meals. Traveling on horseback on donkeys and trekking takes very long time and required ready fast food. For example nowadays 1hr 15min. Takes you to kano from Zaria. Before 120 years ago it was a standard 5 days journey and you need to take a lot of "garri" with you.
The age of this ancient word in Hausa language can be realized by its occurence in old proverbs and in the naming of towns and villages.
1. "Yaro da Garri Abokin tafiyar manya". Meaning - A young boy who has Garri (powdered cereal) can journey with the elders.
2. Wanda Allah Ya zuba Ma GARInsa nono Ba zai sha da tsamiya Ba. Meaning- who God powers milk in his Garri he will not have to drink it with just tamarind. ( milk with Garri was luxury while tamarind fruit available in the forest can just improve the taste.)
3." Wanka da GARI ba ya maganin yunwa. " Meaning- taking bath with Garri is not a cure for hunger.
You may also remember an old town in sokoto state called "Shagari"( where a former president comes from.) The name denotes affluence as indicated by a lot of Garri you can drink.

Kudos to the most insightful and intellectual explanation. Good research.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
experimentist: *modified*

I had a sleepless night making research jx for you @OP, it original word comes frm Chelsea, Gary Cahil.
Hmmmm
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 20, 2014
:
rhemal:

professor of garriology
cheesycheesy
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by experimentist: 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
nnekamezor: Hmmmm
Hmm, gyal me like your eyes dem a pure white.. And dem lips, dem a kiss
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by experimentist: 3:02pm On Jul 20, 2014
nagoma:

wanan gaskiya ne.. Garri is derived from Hausa..
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by spiralwedge(m): 3:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
Garri is originally spelt 'gari' and it is from ijebu (of the Yoruba stock).

the white man added another 'r' to emphasise the 'r' sound, just as they did to Otta, Ebute Metta, Otto, Owerri, Warri, etc
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
experimentist: Hmm, gyal me like your eyes dem a pure white.. And dem lips, dem a kiss
i cee...merci
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Dhulqarnain(m): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
urbanidris:
dhulqarnain...1st time I'm seen someone using the name...I only read it in quran...nice name bro!
Thanks.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by experimentist: 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
nnekamezor: i cee...merci
I checked you next door u not there cry
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Infomizer(m): 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
krall: AY TV has asked me this now zoeee is asking me again

To all spacebookers If this make frontpage lemme die.
Rest in peace buddy...But you still shoulda specified the time you would die should you have lost (which you did). You're still gon die, mate. And so will I...grin
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2014

hope u a dead
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by moshoodn(m): 4:50pm On Jul 20, 2014

You sure you still wanna die?
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by sheffyUTD(m): 4:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
Yomieluv: Its a slang "Ngari" by the native of Nigeria,then its now pronounced as "garri" cos most people can't pronounce. "Ngarri". Then you won't believe it that I don't know what am typing...

Chai. Imagine I fell for this gabble sha ! embarassed
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 20, 2014
experimentist: I checked you next door u not there cry
i dey there ooo....i don see u oooo....:p
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by experimentist: 5:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
nnekamezor: [color=#990000][/color] i dey there ooo....i don see u oooo....:p
me nuh see yuh.. Show ur sef na. Shei u can drink garri?
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by IbnuUche(m): 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
datguru: Garri na ibo language angry
true talk. others just immitating.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
Garri is d chemical nomenclature of grinded cassava, its called garium tetraclorosulphate Vi bicarbonate. Other wise known as garrium sulphate
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by kurlz(f): 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
iluvweed: Gay-rium Sulphate............. tongue
you are so on point, let me help with gayrium sulphate, GSO 4
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by omartins(m): 6:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Garri is Yoruba name, reason(s):
a. The whites don't refine cassava by frying so no name for it. i.e. fufu, tuwo.
b. The End-product of cassava which is garri goes further in Yoruba to Eba but other tribe in Nigeria don't have another name for Eba but garri. Though Fufu can be to Igbo's and Cassava Tuwo to Hausa's.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 20, 2014

you dead yet?
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by tosinisrael5678(m): 7:58pm On Jul 20, 2014

oya die
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by ceaser: 8:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
Shehucom: its suprising that all d tribes in nigeria call it that general name. BTW na why southerners dey call EBA self garri

The correct nomenclature is "Garri" for the cassava flour (the one you soak and drink) and "Eba" for the caked or moulded one (the one you prep with hot water and goes with stew)
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by sayatyadebayor(m): 9:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
cryGarri is from latin word of garrinisim is from nageria language cry
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by haymoney01(m): 10:11pm On Jul 20, 2014

DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by rocgirl: 10:30pm On Jul 20, 2014
It's was gotten off that snail character in SpongeBob,names Garri.
Hope that helps? gringrin
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by dom(m): 10:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
I just googled the word and wiki was talking more about Ghana and some west African countries. I felt so insulted considering how much garri I consumed between 89 and 94 in marist comprehensive academy. What insolence!
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
Op i resemble u google abi i b chiefpriest?? undecided
Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Chukky86: 12:13am On Jul 21, 2014
English name is called cassava flakes. And local name garri.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? by Chukky86: 12:15am On Jul 21, 2014
omartins: Garri is Yoruba name, reason(s):
a. The whites don't refine cassava by frying so no name for it. i.e. fufu, tuwo.
b. The End-product of cassava which is garri goes further in Yoruba to Eba but other tribe in Nigeria don't have another name for Eba but garri. Though Fufu can be to Igbo's and Cassava Tuwo to Hausa's.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.

Tuwo is not made from cassava. But rice or maize.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Food Would You Confidently Offer A Foreigner? (pics) / How do you make your noodles? (picture) / Increase In The Price Of Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.