Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

24-year-old Student Makes U-turns After ‘dumping’ Nigeria For Britain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 24-year-old Student Makes U-turns After ‘dumping’ Nigeria For Britain (1138 Views)

Jim Nwobodo Marries Patricia After Dumping PDP For APC Today(pic / Rivers Tribunal:drama As Police Makes U-turn / APC Makes U-turn, Accepts Saraki As Senate President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

24-year-old Student Makes U-turns After ‘dumping’ Nigeria For Britain by elitehow: 3:16pm On Jul 21, 2014
Nigerian student Nasir Yammama was the subject of intense media bashing from early July following reports that the multiple-award winning tech wiz had abandoned his country for United Kingdom following a competition victory.

Not long after beating over 2000 contestants to win the British Council/Virgin Atlantic airlines' Enterprise Challenge, Yammama had in an interview with the BBC said he would be representing Britain rather that Nigeria at the Microsoft sponsored Global Technology competition.

See More Here: http://www..com/index.php/41-blog/blog-articles/539-24-year-old-student-u-turns-after-dumping-nigeria-for-britain-snubs-ba-competition

Re: 24-year-old Student Makes U-turns After ‘dumping’ Nigeria For Britain by wasiudvd(m): 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2014
tongue continue where? i already knw he has change is mind. so no need.
Re: 24-year-old Student Makes U-turns After ‘dumping’ Nigeria For Britain by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
Nigerian student Nasir Yammama was the subject of intense media bashing from early July following reports that the multiple-award winning tech wiz had abandoned his country for United Kingdom following a competition victory.

Not long after beating over 2000 contestants to win the British Council/Virgin Atlantic airlines' Enterprise Challenge, Yammama had in an interview with the BBC said he would be representing Britain rather that Nigeria at the Microsoft sponsored Global Technologycompetition.

"I am supposed to have represented Nigeria at it, but things have changed. I will represent England," he said.

In the media blitz that followed the BBC interview, several news media accusing him of disowning his country in favor of the UK.

The 24-year-old has however cleared the air in a recent interview with Weekly Trust, stating that he did not at any point disown Nigeria.

"The competition, which requires students to represent a nation, does not necessitate representing your nation of origin.

"Besides, there is already a team representing Nigeria as many students have done for several years since the inception of the competition," Yammama said.

The innovator said with "many other Nigerians coming to the competition from various countries across the globe" he couldn't understand why the focus is on him.

"Some blogs have blown the issue way out of proportion, forgetting that in the same interview I expressed that coming back home is a sort of responsibility for every patriotic Nigerian in the Diaspora."

No More Competing

Yammmana also revealed in the interview that he is no more contesting in the Global Technology competition because "competitions tend to distract."

"I’m currently not participating in the competition, so I’m not representing any country at all.

"I will concentrate on my academic work and the further development of Verdant and other projects which I hope will be up-and-running in Nigeria soon."

Yammama, a Katsina State indigene, is presently pursuing his Masters Degree at the Middlesex University, United Kingdom.

(1) (Reply)

Ibikunle Amusun Campaign With Branded Rice (photo) / FG Terrorizing Osun! APC Cries Out. / Northern Elders Forum: Time For Hard Truths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.