Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,689 members, 7,820,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Share Your Stew Recipe! - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Share Your Stew Recipe! (17521 Views)

Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe / Ofada Stew Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 22, 2014
amnestylaw1:

Your guess is as good as mine. No be for.my mouth dem go hear wetin the thing resemble. grin
tell me na better pikin wink cheesy
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by anago18(m): 5:06am On Jul 23, 2014
following......

vegetable soup.....

blend pepper and very little tomatoes.
boil your water and pour it on the vegetable leaves and cover it up.
put oil on fire till it very hot, now add already sliced onions.
after 3-4 mins add your blended pepper and tomatoes, add maggi and salt to taste.
after five minutes add crazy fish and fish.
then add your vegetable.
allow it to cook for 10 minutes and you ready to go.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by anago18(m): 5:08am On Jul 23, 2014
hello sample of my work...

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 23, 2014
GentleMimi:
Mtchhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! angry

E dey ur body mimiko angry

1 Like

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by omozoba1(f): 11:32am On Jul 23, 2014
GentleMimi: I'll be right back! kiss
I'm BACK!
Sorry,OP,i'm gonna use local names for my recipe.
Fresh tomatoes.
Tinned tomatoes.
Tatashe pepper(usually three times the amount of the fresh tomamtoes cos its flavour is unique)
Ata rodo *lol*...i don't know the english name..the small hot pepper
Enough finely sliced onions.
Vegetable oil (i love pure groundnut oil frm the Northern parts. If absent,i use Laser veg oil)
Thyme,curry,black pepper,nutmeg,mixed spice,bayleaf.
Ginger/garlic paste.
Meat stock.
knorr chicken/suppy combo.

The tomatoes and pepper and an onion are all ground in a blender. I heat it up to dehydrate it. Heat up the oil,add most of the sliced onions. Then i fry the grinded stuff till i'm a bit satisfied. Add the tinned tomatoes and fry.Then add the ginger/garlic paste and fry more. Add the maggi and a little thyme to it. Note that frying the thyme gives ur stew a unique flavour. Also grate a little bit of ur nutmeg seed. Fry till almost well cooked. Keep stirring,if not it'll burn. When the raw taste is almost gone,add ur meat stock(water frm cooked meat). Allow it heat up. At this point,reduce the heat.Add a little water. Add ur curry,a little more thyme,chicken spice,black pepper...bayleaf,nutmeg. Cover ur pot and allow it to steam on low heat for abt ten minutes. Taste to check if its well cooked.

Enjoy!
uar a good cook grin grin my brother should ask ur hand in marriage. Am already salivating over d theory part, hmm more or less d practical chai chai if to say I know ur house grin tongue
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Bootybuttchic(f): 11:37am On Jul 23, 2014
GentleMimi:
Mtchhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! angry
tried your recipe yesternait.....u needed to see how i was hiding ginger and garlic from my mum......it was nice thoo....but i added too much pepper grin
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by omozoba1(f): 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
Feraz: This is my own recipe -

Blend the tomatoes and peppers while in the market.
Cook the meat by adding water, a bulb of big onions, pepper, curry, thyme, salt, maggi
Par-boil the blended tomatoes and pepper till most of the water evaporate and then sieve out the water
Add vegetable oil to pot and heat, add onions. After sometime, add the blended tomato in the sieve into the pot of heated oil. Then I add pepper, onions, curry, salt, maggi etc. (Not that I don't like ginger or garlic but no time to start processing those as a student). When the stew starts making the pop sound and splashing everywhere, I add the water I used for cooking the meat and then add the meat (cooked or fried). After say 5 mins, turn off fire.

If I'm using fish, I don't cook separately like the meat. I just add it when the stew is almost done as fish tend to get done very quickly.

I'm still looking for who will teach me how to cook palm oil stew as the one I did sometime back left me with a bitter experience.

P.S.: most times, I don't taste while cooking (with exception of plantain grin) as the stew turns out well. cheesy
ohhh palm oil I be baba. Dnt bleach ur palm oil cos u tend to remove d nutritive value, and even u den change d short chain fatty acid of the palmoil to long chain fatty acid which is uasualy a long process to digest by d liver(only biochemist understand wot dx mean) grin. So its d same process as urs but dnt bleach palm oil, jxt heat for a second, den add a liTtle veg oil(grand soya oil). Dts jxt d differnce. Its tastes gooooood. Understood?
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by GentleMimi: 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2014
omozoba1: uar a good cook grin grin my brother should ask ur hand in marriage. Am already salivating over d theory part, hmm more or less d practical chai chai if to say I know ur house grin tongue
Lol! grin. I go send you invitation with address. tongue

Bootybuttchic: tried your recipe yesternait.....u needed to see how i was hiding ginger and garlic from my mum......it was nice thoo....but i added too much pepper grin
Hahaha! Why did u hide it? Guess ur mum hates it,bah? Glad it turned out well. Maybe u should use lesser amount of the small pepper. Tatashe is not really hot. Good luck on ur next attempt.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Bootybuttchic(f): 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
GentleMimi:

Hahaha! Why did u hide it? Guess ur mum hates it,bah? Glad it turned out well. Maybe u should use lesser amount of the small pepper. Tatashe is not really hot. Good luck on ur next attempt.
yes ooo......thank uu
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by omozoba1(f): 7:39pm On Jul 23, 2014
U too correct jorr.I sooo love dx sauce wit yam n plantain. I nvr knew its good wit bread. 'Noted'
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by amnestylaw1(m): 8:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
kulyie: tell me na better pikin wink cheesy

grin Na person wen you wan use him head break coconut you dey find abi? tongue
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
MissMeiya:

Loool. I was just thinking about it when I uploaded the picture. I can't serve my dad without meat grin

When you grew up never having meat, you will count each piece of meat for the rest of your life! Sometimes I get so sad when I think about my dad's childhood. sad

Do you blend the onions, or leave the pieces?

It's the past. Don't think much about it. smiley

I blend my onions. But if I'm eating alone, I slice it. My family doesn't like seeing onions sticking out.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
GentleMimi:

Chai see as my wife dey form good cook for here.. Diaris godu ooo grin grin

And me i no dey enjoy good stew for house. Mimiko...
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 1:06am On Jul 24, 2014
amnestylaw1:

grin Na person wen you wan use him head break coconut you dey find abi? tongue
no jare cheesy
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by anago18(m): 4:07am On Jul 24, 2014
GentleMimi: I'll be right back! kiss
I'm BACK!
Sorry,OP,i'm gonna use local names for my recipe.
Fresh tomatoes.
Tinned tomatoes.
Tatashe pepper(usually three times the amount of the fresh tomamtoes cos its flavour is unique)
Ata rodo *lol*...i don't know the english name..the small hot pepper
Enough finely sliced onions.
Vegetable oil (i love pure groundnut oil frm the Northern parts. If absent,i use Laser veg oil)
Thyme,curry,black pepper,nutmeg,mixed spice,bayleaf.
Ginger/garlic paste.
Meat stock.
knorr chicken/suppy combo.

The tomatoes and pepper and an onion are all ground in a blender. I heat it up to dehydrate it. Heat up the oil,add most of the sliced onions. Then i fry the grinded stuff till i'm a bit satisfied. Add the tinned tomatoes and fry.Then add the ginger/garlic paste and fry more. Add the maggi and a little thyme to it. Note that frying the thyme gives ur stew a unique flavour. Also grate a little bit of ur nutmeg seed. Fry till almost well cooked. Keep stirring,if not it'll burn. When the raw taste is almost gone,add ur meat stock(water frm cooked meat). Allow it heat up. At this point,reduce the heat.Add a little water. Add ur curry,a little more thyme,chicken spice,black pepper...bayleaf,nutmeg. Cover ur pot and allow it to steam on low heat for abt ten minutes. Taste to check if its well cooked.

Enjoy!

tried it out yesterday!!!!! it taste so great and I ate it with boiled green plantains. but the stew was a bit dark and I added crayfish to my own.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by foxgiovani(m): 5:56pm On Aug 23, 2015
Nice one, I must confess, but there's a type of stew no body made mention of. Its called pepper stew. I used to eat it at a joint where people specifically go there to it eat. It not like the regular stew with much pepper. I need to learn that. Anybody with idea should please share it here.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Feraz(m): 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
omozoba1:
ohhh palm oil I be baba. Dnt bleach ur palm oil cos u tend to remove d nutritive value, and even u den change d short chain fatty acid of the palmoil to long chain fatty acid which is uasualy a long process to digest by d liver(only biochemist understand wot dx mean) grin. So its d same process as urs but dnt bleach palm oil, jxt heat for a second, den add a liTtle veg oil(grand soya oil). Dts jxt d differnce. Its tastes gooooood. Understood?
Thanks though I do bleach my palm oil as I do not like that 'raw' taste - the problem is this, it makes breathing difficult for me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Would Have To Pay More For Bread… / Have U Tasted Roasted Or Fried Grasshopper? / Easy Way To Make Afang Soup This Christmas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.