Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Share Your Stew Recipe! - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Share Your Stew Recipe! (17508 Views)

Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Best Ofada Rice And Stew Recipe / Ofada Stew Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by calabaman(m): 8:03am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOOOL everyone I'm sorry I forgot to put meat!! Haha you people should release me lol

Thanks, and no I'm not lol

we wud release you when you release our poor meat from captivity. lol just kidding

I have just followed you....kindly follow back so we can chat. Thanks
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOOOL everyone I'm sorry I forgot to put meat!! Haha you people should release me lol

Thanks, and no I'm not lol
don't worry let me help you with mine. Another form of soup

2 Likes

Rich4god: Mine is simple and time saving... Get your fresh tomato, pepper, and all other ingredents that make you stew spicy and tasty, any vegetable would do so as to make it thick... Sorry I dont have measurement. Just slice the tomato, pepper, wash and put in your meat, put in you spices excpt d vegetable and g/oil. If the tomato is watery then no need for water, else you add water to a reasonable level. Cover your pot, leave for 10-15min den put on fire. After abt 20min of boiling, then add your oil just a little. Leave on fire for abt 15min, add your vegetable and you are good to go. Sorry, no time for detailed explanation.

Interesting... so you boil the sauce without oil? Also, what vegetable are you referring to?
100 naira pepper and 50naira tomatoes with 2 bulb of onions, blend the onions with hand blender and blend the tomatoes and fresh pepper with electric blender or grinding stone.
Fry your oil, add lil bit of curry and stir you can add locust beans (Iru) if you want buh it is optional sha, then add the blended onions plus reduce the heat of the stove. Stir for a while and add your blended pepper and Maggi with salt to taste. (use a wooden spoon so it won't burn)
I love using smoked fish (shawa or panla) for my stews cuz am not a meat person, my teeth no too strong grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by calabaman(m): 8:05am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: since you want meat here is it

Niceeeee! now am hungry.....#pissed
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: don't worry let me help you with mine. Another form of soup

grin Thank you my dear
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 22, 2014
calabaman:

Niceeeee! now am hungry.....#pissed
I thought you are a calabaman and it's dogs you eat . Here is the dog meat

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 22, 2014
Amusaopeyemi: 100 naira pepper and 50naira tomatoes with 2 bulb of onions, blend the onions with hand blender and blend the tomatoes and fresh pepper with electric blender or grinding stone.
Fry your oil, add lil bit of curry and stir you can add locust beans (Iru) if you want buh it is optional sha, then add the blended onions plus reduce the heat of the stove. Stir for a while and add your blended pepper and Maggi with salt to taste. (use a wooden spoon so it won't burn)
I love using smoked fish (shawa or panla) for my stews cuz am not a meat person, my teeth no too strong grin grin

I like the hand blender thing. kulyie was just telling me how to make stews that aren't *too* blended.

Me too oh, I like fish, but the one wey no get bone embarassed

1 Like

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Rich4god(m): 8:10am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Interesting... so you boil the sauce without oil? Also, what vegetable are you referring to?
They way you spice your meat and cook... Thats almost the same way you cook the stew... I use ugu(dont knw if i spelt well) some use saint-leaf... Depends on your choice... Dont like frying the tomato... And the little oil you will add is jst to help raise the temperature... Sometimes, i dont even add oil.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

grin Thank you my dear
you welcome hun wink
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by calabaman(m): 8:12am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: I thought you are a calabaman and it's dogs you eat . Here is the dog meat

lol now am disgusted..... Ewwww!
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 22, 2014
Rich4god: They way you spice your meat and cook... Thats almost the same way you cook the stew... I use ugu(dont knw if i spelt well) some use saint-leaf... Depends on your choice...

Hmmm ok, I see. But does it taste differently than when the sauce is fried in the oil? I thought that was the traditional taste of Nigerian tomato stew

Ohhh I'm not too familiar with Nigerian condiments sad
Scent leaves?
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

I like the hand blender thing. kulyie was just telling me how to make stews that aren't *too* blended.

there's no fish that doesn't have bone however if you don't want bone in your stew or soup you have 2 options.its either you use stock fish or you take your time and start dissecting and removing all the bones in between the fish.now the latter requires patience and discipline. You will be tempted to eat it but don't and when you first start bones will be piercing and hurting you but with time.when you do it repeatedly and you know the spot where all the bones are you will find it easy. After removing all the bones you can add it to your stew. That way you will enjoy your fish stew better cool

1 Like

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by experimentist: 8:19am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya: Here's mine:

Ingredients
28 oz can tomatoes (diced) or 16 oz can tomato sauce
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and stemmed
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1 medium onion
2 cloves peeled garlic
peeled ginger (amount equal to garlic)
2 knorr cubes (depending on taste)
1 teaspoon curry powder

Directions
1.Blend or pound tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, pepper, garlic, and ginger into a smooth paste.

2. Heat oil over medium heat.

3. Fry for about 20 minutes, then add curry powder and knorr cubes and stir. Fry for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Serve with white rice or yams.

**** When frying don't be too obsessed with the time in the recipe. It's just a guideline. The most important thing to watch for is when the stew stops popping angrily and just bubbles happily smiley The goal is to fry the sauce properly. Make sure you taste. You'll know if it isn't well fried, because it'll taste like raw vegetable.
**** Also taste when you're adding Maggi cubes. Sometimes I end up putting 1 and 1/2 cubes instead of 2. Tasting is key.
**** In terms of how much oil to put... put enough oil to FRY the sauce. If the fire is on and nothing has been happening... you probably need more oil. But not too much *makes face* I hate seeing stew buried under oil.

My dad likes my stew better than my mom's (shhhh cheesy I think it's because of the ginger and garlic)

I want to see NL's recipes! What do you like to put in your stew?
You shoulda add a lil bit of well treated n grinded marijuana to make complete.. It's good.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 22, 2014
calabaman:

lol now am disgusted..... Ewwww!
grin

are you not a calabaman again.i thought calabamen love dog meat grin
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: there's no fish that doesn't have bone however if you don't want bone in your stew or soup you have 2 options.its either you use stock fish or you take your time and start dissecting and removing all the bones in between the fish.now the latter requires patience and discipline. You will be tempted to eat it but don't and when you first start bones will be piercing and hurting you but with time.when you do it repeatedly and you know the spot where all the bones are you will find it easy. After removing all the bones you can add it to your stew. That way you will enjoy your fish stew better cool

Chai, I'm so spoiled. So that's what my mother used to do? Smh I must pamper her forever ijn

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by GentleMimi: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Omigosh this sounds so good! I'm going to try it next time.

Thanks!
You are welcome,babe! Thanks for the thread too. I like ladies who know their ways around the kitchen.

kulyie: there's no fish that doesn't have bone however if you don't want bone in your stew or soup you have 2 options.its either you use stock fish or you take your time and start dissecting and removing all the bones in between the fish.now the latter requires patience and discipline. You will be tempted to eat it but don't and when you first start bones will be piercing and hurting you but with time.when you do it repeatedly and you know the spot where all the bones are you will find it easy. After removing all the bones you can add it to your stew. That way you will enjoy your fish stew better cool
LMAO @ bolded.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2014
experimentist: You shoulda add a lil bit of well treated n grinded marijuana to make complete.. It's good.

No it isn't, it tastes awful.
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: grin

are you not a calabaman again.i thought calabamen love dog meat grin

Err... please take this elsewhere. I don't like bullying
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 22, 2014
experimentist: You shoulda add a lil bit of well treated n grinded marijuana to make complete.. It's good.
haaa amugbo you don't know that it's not everybody's body that reacts well to food laced with marijuana cheesy

some people may take it and nothing happens while others can take it and start misbehaving grin
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 22, 2014
Rich4god: Dont like frying the tomato... And the little oil you will add is jst to help raise the temperature... Sometimes, i dont even add oil.

Ok, I see, it's personal preference. Thanks for sharing
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Err... please take this elsewhere. I don't like bullying
haba am not bullying him am only joking with him na cheesy

haba.cut some slack.i mean no harm.ok mabinu if you found it offensive smiley
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by experimentist: 8:24am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

No it isn't, it tastes awful.
No mayb you don't knw hw to apply it.. U wnt feel any taste jx d aroma like thyme u knw
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by experimentist: 8:26am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: haaa amugbo you don't know that it's not everybody's body that reacts well to food laced with marijuana cheesy

some people may take it and nothing happens while others can take it and start misbehaving grin
argh nawao..
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 22, 2014
kulyie: haba am not bullying him am only joking with him na cheesy

haba.cut some slack.i mean no harm.ok mabinu if you found it offensive smiley

Lol ok
I guess I'm just sensitive
nymphomaniac: My recipe...100 naira tomato, 500 naira pepper, 2 tin tomatoes(pepper-terra) onions blended into d tomato and pepper mentioned above, curry, maggi, beef sauce, beef, water, salt...mix as I desire, but groundnut oil n den d tomato onions n pepper go in first...everyoda thing comes as d spirit leads
Ofe mmanu tins
experimentist: No mayb you don't knw hw to apply it.. U wnt feel any taste jx d aroma like thyme u knw

But even the aroma is not palatable yeech
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Lol ok
I guess I'm just sensitive
yes dear smiley
Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 22, 2014
I like my stew to have all the ingredients visible to the eye when I eat, hence instead of blending all the peppers and tomatoes, I just slice them into tiny bits.

I slice the onions, tomatoes, habaneros and tatashe up. Then I fry a little bit of the oil with onions to remove the vegetable oil taste.

Next I pour in all the sliced peppersand allow to fry for about 10mins. Thereafter, I add a small tin of tomato to allow all the sliced peppers and onions to merge together.

Then I add all the spices like curry, thyme, knorr and powdered garlic. I add these towards the end to accentuate the aroma and taste of the food. Also, cooked meat or fish is added towards the end so they don't become too soggy or break up inside the stew.

And that is how I cook my stew. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:36am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yes, I don't like my pepper to be too smooth. Panla fish does not v bones like shawa.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 22, 2014
pDude: I like my stew to have all the ingredients visible to the eye when I eat, hence instead of blending all the peppers and tomatoes, I just slice them into tiny bits.

I slice the onions, tomatoes, habaneros and tatashe up. Then I fry a little bit of the oil with onions to remove the vegetable oil taste.

Next I pour in all the sliced peppersand allow to fry for about 10mins. Thereafter, I add a small tin of tomato to allow all the sliced peppers and onions to merge together.

Then I add all the spices like curry, thyme, knorr and powdered garlic. I add these towards the end to accentuate the aroma and taste of the food. Also, cooked meat or fish is added towards the end so they don't become too soggy or break up inside the stew.

And that is how I cook my stew. cheesy

Heyyyyy! It's Oga Pepper! Lol
nymphomaniac this is the guy I was talking about with the cameroon peppers. You should see his pepper thread, the guy loves spicy food die

Thank you for your recipe!!!

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Stew Recipe! by Rich4god(m): 8:43am On Jul 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Hmmm ok, I see. But does it taste differently than when the sauce is fried in the oil? I thought that was the traditional taste of Nigerian tomato stew

Ohhh I'm not too familiar with Nigerian condiments sad
Scent leaves?
It kinda taste better for me... Cos you get to feel the natural taste of tomato an pepper. And you dont get to spend time watching and stirring the soup.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Tiger Nuts Milk / Nigerians Would Have To Pay More For Bread… / Have U Tasted Roasted Or Fried Grasshopper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.