Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,280 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria (13468 Views)

Dubai Hotel Management Apologises After Staff Refuses To Serve A Nigerian Woman / Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) / Best City In Nigeria To Live In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 13, 2008
Cipriani:

Chris don tell me say He no go mess up? cheesy cheesy cheesy Anyone wey him bring go go for dna testing to confirm say na whity. undecided undecided undecided
rotflmao!
DNA go help? grin grin grin what if them pay the guy to say the woman na whity?

Cipriani:

You fit send one pics to my box for confirmation
I no fit at all at all
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 10:59am On Oct 13, 2008
@ruby_pearl

I see no positive advice or contribution you made to this topic starting from your first post.
You started from quoting another person down to your final Rubbish.
This is not the jokes section/you are welcome there.
Thats where you can post whatever you want.
go read this : CONTRIBUTING TO SENSITIVE TOPICS
I wonder what this man who posted this topic will think after reading this rubbishes you put down here.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 11:28am On Oct 13, 2008
Places like Abuja and Lagos, Calabar or even Enugu are very quiet to live.
Not true. undecided
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by shilling(f): 11:55am On Oct 13, 2008
I think you should set up your own firm preferably in Lagos. You need loads of patience cos it'll probably take you some time to get used to Naija and the mentality.

But, you really have nothing to worry about. Nigerians are very welcoming and warm, like you've noticed.

Plan properly. Setting up your business is your best bet. If you don't want to set up a business immediately, you could start working in Naija first, then set up your business when you're comfortable enough.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 13, 2008
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by shilling(f): 4:39pm On Oct 13, 2008
@ chaircover

Spot on
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by chriscox: 9:10pm On Oct 13, 2008
Wow, thank you so much guys your post have given me more hope than you know. Richo, Area_boy, Fustina, Sam Milla, Shilling, Chaircover, Davidif, everyone, your detailed advise is highly appreciated.

Ruby_pearl and cipriani, LOL I've tried to read inbetween some of the pigding and cant stop cracking up at your gist!
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 13, 2008
chriscox:

Ruby_pearl and cipriani, LOL I've tried to read inbetween some of the pigding and can't stop cracking up at your gist!
Thank you jare.
but sorry for derailing your topic.

Moving to Nigeria?
Well, Nigeria too love Foreigners too much, so you'll enjoy.
but also be careful of arm robbers.
Personally, I wouldn't want to move to Nigeria.

and oh yea, SAM MILLA, thanks for your contribution.
That's what you wanted to hear? or is a cookie not enough? undecided
w/e it is, na your problem as long as the OP is not bawling like you were doing. shior
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 12:13am On Oct 14, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Thank you jare.
but sorry for derailing your topic.

Moving to Nigeria?
Well, Nigeria too love Foreigners too much, so you'll enjoy.
but also be careful of arm robbers.
Personally, I wouldn't want to move to Nigeria.

and oh yea, SAM MILLA, thanks for your contribution.
That's what you wanted to hear? or is a cookie not enough? undecided
w/e it is, na your problem as long as the OP is not bawling like you were doing. shior

Great, you finally returned here to tell him to beware of armed robbers.

atleast its beta than all those things u posted initially.
i don't have any problem with you and i am not gonna start one.
but like i said earlier, people seek for genuine advice here.
I know how some of you ramble here whenever your pots are removed or deleted.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by davidif: 1:23am On Oct 14, 2008
oga chriscox, i forgot something also, i think it would be better to move to Abuja where it is more developed so you can start your own consulting company or work for any IT company.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by adconline(m): 7:10am On Oct 14, 2008
Good to know that someone wants to move beyond his comfort zone. Moving to Nigeria is  a heck of a task, but its what you  would have to do in order to happily consummate your marriage.
Few steps;
Take a few months vacation  to Nigeria in order to explore the everyday living culture of Nigerians. This will afford you the opportunity of seeing and traveling Nigeria through your own mirror. I bet you are going to get a discount on some of the events you have been seeing on TV. It can also be overwhelming.

Network with some Nigerian professionals in the UK or some Nigerians who visit UK for studies can really open your eyes to the opportunities that are abound.  You will need to work with some organizations like Oxfam, DFID, Foreign office and some Common Wealth Business groups to expand your horizon on working and living in Nigeria. Please do not set up company for now because you may get burned. There is a high bureaucracy in Nigeria that may work against you. Become a "Nigerian" first before setting up a company.
Its also very important that your wife unleash her Nigerian connection so as to help you integrate easily with the working class. I believe that if UK ambassador can manage Nigeria, you can enjoy  Nigeria as well.

Visit some of the cities you would like to live in if you move to Nigeria, this will enable to get accustomed to Nigerian ways of doing things.
There is a recruiting company called phillipsconsulting.net to submit your resume. I bet you can get lucky with some of the companies. Its better to work for a publicly traded company than a private company. I believe that you should also expand your tentacles by reaching out to other Eurozone companies doing business in Nigeria.
Check out Shell, Chevron,BAT,Infosys,Ericsson,ABB,Costain,Citi Bank,Standard Bank,BA, Virgin Atlantic etc.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 14, 2008
@ poster
please let us know when you're coming so that we can throw a welcome party for you. em i mean attend your welcome party grin grin grin grin grin (naija people looove parties, so make sure it's a big, flamboyant one grin grin)

i'd say abuja too. but lagos is better for making money. only politicians live in abuja. if you want the kind of career thrill u get in new york (plus a few extra robbers), lagos is the place.

i agree with adconline. visit nigeria first before you make the final decision. do a 2 wk or 1 month test run. visit all the potential places - abuja and calabar are indeed the best cities to live in, but aren't as active as lagos. i beg you in your own interest to forget completely about port harcourt, and ignore anyone who mentions it. find out from your friends if they know anyone who lives in nigeria so you can ask them how they cope (not all the answers you get may be encouraging tho). you can also use it as an opportunity to job-hunt or get them to put out word for you. you'll be surprised how many interviews you'll attend b4 u return.

however, in naija, the mixed marriage doesn't bother us. yes there are still some ignorant people who'll make snide remarks (as there are in every country on the planet). just ignore them. luckily for you, you'll actually get preferential treatment when job hunting.

if you just take normal precautions until you get the hang of the new place, you'll be fine. oh and bargain a whole lot. never believe the first price they tell you. i suggest a reading text for you while u mull over it. It's called 'How To Be A Nigerian' by Peter Enahoro.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by chriscox: 7:33pm On Oct 15, 2008
Adconline and Iceblue. Those are some very useful hints there! thank you guys wink

I am already creating a database of organisations mentioned by everybody on this thread. I will definately crack on with my research. You guys are the best.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by ogaadimma: 8:59pm On Sep 21, 2009
Chris,
i wish you luck.
Nigeria is a good place for you, you will prosper because of your mindset.
Of cause you will get a good job, just ask around in the UK circles and also Nigerians.
As you mentioned your wife is from an aflluent background, the family will sort you out with enough contacts.
Dont worry and welcome to the Nigeria extended family system.
BTW, Im a Nigerian born UK citizen.
Im married to a non Nigerian African who is now a citizen as a result of our marriage.
Its tough married to a person from dif culture, her family are difficult and I have to keep proving myself till one day, I got fed up, now, we are splitting up.
You dont have that problem, all you need to do is make money and dont ever talk of divorce and dont accept anything you dont really have to.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by finemocha(f): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2009
just pray and go, but avoid, imo state or portharcourt. screw what people say about both of u, trust me the 9jas in Uk have already started to judge u two anyway.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by OgaMadam(f): 1:37pm On Sep 22, 2009
ChrisCox

Listen well well.

To stay in naija you must be sharp sharp enh?

these people are a separate animal - and am telling you your innocence and humble love
is not gonna get you no where.

you must be shrewd and sleep with your eyes wide open.  

dont feel sorry, and "brotherly love" and yadi yadi yadi yada, they couldnt care less.

do whats in your best interest for you and your nucleus family - as the man.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Timsilver(m): 4:03pm On Sep 22, 2009
ChrisCox@i believe u getting d best advice u can get.All i want to add is dat, you will not hav any problem settlin in nigeria cuz i hav met a few white guys living in nigeria.Just continue ur research.
Goodluck.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by lindabon: 1:43am On Sep 23, 2009
relocating to Nigeria? who does that these days. thats a big no no. berra visit, than base i tell you!
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by shadyanita: 2:25am On Sep 28, 2010
same problem , but i'm lebanese man i marred nigerian women and she's pregnant, i look for work in nigeria bcz we can't be fine in lebanon . just bcz she's black, she can't be happy here bcz of peopol will not leave us live in peace undecided undecided sad sad angry
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 29, 2010
shadyanita:

same problem , but i'm lebanese man i marred nigerian women and she's pregnant, i look for work in nigeria bcz we can't be fine in lebanon . just bcz she's black, she can't be happy here bcz of peopol will not leave us live in peace undecided undecided sad sad angry

How sad Shadyanita.
Why not try and start a business in Nigeria. OR
There are a lot of lebanese people in Nigeria running businesses, they might be willing to employ you

@Chriscox,
You have absolutely no problem from what I can read here.
What you need now is loads of perseverance, It would be tough, but eventually, it would be worth it.
You'll get a good job for sure, might take time but you will.
You'll be treated well and ofcourse the weather is a plus wink.
I suggest Lagos.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2010
@Poster,
Welcome to Nigeria.
You'll enjoy the experience. It's no tea party, but you will have a blast.
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Abrantie: 9:41pm On Oct 03, 2010
Chris, come to Ghana with your Naija wife and start a business. Forget Nigeria. It's a dangerous and inhumane country. Sure, you've been there several times but once you settle, gbam! Dem kidnappers, area boys and NEPA will make your life hell. fvck Abuja. What kind of silly name is that for a city anyway? Besides, once you're on your wife's home turf, the "game" will definitely change (if ya know what I mean).

I sense you love dark meat. In Ghana, the meat is darker, sweeter and friendlier. Holla!
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by DisGuy: 10:02pm On Oct 03, 2010
I sense you love dark meat. In Ghana, the meat is darker, sweeter and friendlier. Holla!

Yuck!! is this how you describe Ghanaian women? you should be ashamed of yourself!
Re: White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria by Abrantie: 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2010
[QUOTE]Yuck!! is this how you describe Ghanaian women? you should be ashamed of yourself![/QUOTE]

I don't think Chris is relocating to dark Africa for blond hair and blue eyes pvssy.

Ever heard the phrase "Dark & Lovely"? or "Black is Beautiful"? Your comment explains why Nigerian women are too busy bleaching their skin?

Chris, see the type of mentality you'd be dealing with in Naija? A nation with no self-confidence, no nationalism and ruled by backwards Muslims.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Air Peace: No Member Of Our Crew Absconded From Quarantine Facility / Why Does Everybody In Nigeria Want To Travel Out? / Yenagoa - Port Harcourt Road Wrecked By The Flood (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.