Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,642 members, 7,955,336 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation (3654 Views)

Stephanie Rose: I Would Rather Burn In Hell Than Worship A Monster Called God / The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real / Testimony Of Heaven And Hell And Rapture To Soon Happen By Pastor Rodolfo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by pickabeau1: 5:06pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: For Starters, the average Nigerian Christian doesn't believe that all will be saved, eventually. He isn't encouraged to reach out to others regardless of their belief, sexual orientation or unbelief. He is made to think that God is only pleased and blesses him when he lives a "righteous" life and condemns him to eternal damnation when he commits even the slightest sin before death and couldn't ask for forgiveness angry. Christianity in Nigeria is Performance Based. I haven't been outside this country, so I can't say what its like out there. smiley

So lets take it one by one...my favorite phrase wink

Do you believe all will be saved... Jesus words..Many are called; few are chosen

Reaching out is a personality thing. We are called to preach the gospel

Do you believe God is a program that rewards and punishes ... He says Its not by power, nor by might but by My Spirit

Do you believe Christianity is performance driven.. He says your righteousness is like filthy rags

You have not been beyond... it will interest you to know there are various sects in the US that are even more extreme

Lets not generalise.. qualify with your experience rather than judge wink
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 22, 2014
`I NEED A BOYFRIEND!!!
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Kay17: 7:20pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi:

It certainly doesn't come from THE CREATOR, for in him there is no darkness, neither shadow of turning. Any god who has such violent capacity must be my devil.

No, True love which finds its perfect expression in My God doesn't. If you can, please read 1st Corinthians 13.

1. Then the necessary conclusion must be that this peace loving God is not the Creator of the violent malicious humans.

2. You didn't say what this true love meant.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2014
Kay17:

1. Then the necessary conclusion must be that this peace loving God is not the Creator of the violent malicious humans.

2. You didn't say what this true love meant.
No Dear, of course he is! we were created with free will......what we do with it is upto us. If I were a rebellious child, would it be wise to conclude that I'm not my Father's daughter seeing as He's a man of peace, integrity and honour? No! I chose to be that way. Does that mean my father loves me any less? No! Did you read 1stCor13?
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Kay17: 8:23pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: No Dear, of course he is! we were created with free will......what we do with it is upto us. If I were a rebellious child, would it be wise to conclude that I'm not my Father's daughter seeing as He's a man of peace, integrity and honour? No! I chose to be that way. Does that mean my father loves me any less? No! Did you read 1stCor13?

I asked who created the human capacity/potential to be violent. A human can decide violent or not but he does have the potential. Except you want to say humans have the ability to redesign themselves.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 8:42pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: No, its not my article, it belongs to Richard Murray @ https://www.facebook.com/richard.murray.1840.

It pretty much sums up what I believe as pertaining the issue of Hell and Eternal Damnation.

My dear, your belief or unbelief cannot change the reality of eternal damnation. The best you can do is to forget about hell fire and face Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Whats your business with hell? Are you planning to go there? Na wa for una o. Nothing concerns me about hell because by the grace of God I AM NOT GOING THERE and thats why i didnt bother to read your OP.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2014
alexleo:

My dear, your belief or unbelief cannot change the reality of eternal damnation. The best you can do is to forget about hell fire and face Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Whats your business with hell? Are you planning to go there? Na wa for una o. Nothing concerns me about hell because by the grace of God I AM NOT GOING THERE and thats why i didnt bother to read your OP.
Why do you (Christians) like forcing your beliefs on people?! angry

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2014
Apatheist:
Why do you (Christians) like forcing your beliefs on people?! angry

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Islie: 10:06pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: For Starters, the average Nigerian Christian doesn't believe that all will be saved, eventually. He isn't encouraged to reach out to others regardless of their belief, sexual orientation or unbelief. He is made to think that God is only pleased and blesses him when he lives a "righteous" life and condemns him to eternal damnation when he commits even the slightest sin before death and couldn't ask for forgiveness angry. Christianity in Nigeria is Performance Based. I haven't been outside this country, so I can't say what its like out there. smiley

thats quite intresting..... never knew that an average Nigerian christain has such a believe not to reach out to the ones they term the lost souls...

So, those that goes for gospel outreach and and the rest aren't an average Nigerian chirstain

the second bolded...... So, why did HE says that our righteousness is like filtty rags, i.e no who can claim self righteousness because it can't save you, its not acceptable to HIM

the third bolded...... Who says christainity is performance based, just learning a new thing 2day.......... why did the bible say by our work let no man glorify him self, that no one can save himself by his/her works
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Islie: 10:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
MizMyColi: errmm.....NewsFlash! I no longer qualify as a christian [A Nigerian one at least]........so you're right, I started thinking, thus I strayed. I chose compassion over wrath, then I lost my christian religion. smiley God is too much, too big for one single religion to claim monopoly of Him. I'm shedding my religious scales yet I'll always believe in God.

so Nigerian christainity is associated with wrath from the highlighted spot
where have i being all this days not to have know this facts
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 12:08am On Jul 23, 2014
This article gladdens my heart , Nigerians now coming out to testify of the truth regarding God's goodness.

The Pharisees who possess a heart of stone will threaten , rile, throw their toys out of the pram, excommunicate you, ridicule your faith etc , but the Lord knows those who are his and many so called Christians will be shocked on the last day.

Indeed , when you start thinking and questioning the contradictions of the Christian or Muslim faith, you incur the wrath of religious fanatics who want you to act like dumb sheep all the way to doom

God is Love and though I do believe in judgement and punishment, the idea that God will torment the same creatures he loves for eternity is a sadistic, cruel, evil, wicked, pathetic, disgusting fable designed to blaspheme and malign the character of God.

cheesy
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:54am On Jul 23, 2014
MizMyColi: errmm.....NewsFlash! I no longer qualify as a christian [A Nigerian one at least]........so you're right, I started thinking, thus I strayed. I chose compassion over wrath, then I lost my christian religion. smiley God is too much, too big for one single religion to claim monopoly of Him. I'm shedding my religious scales yet I'll always believe in God.
Good. Welcome into a new life.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:57am On Jul 23, 2014
Islie:

so Nigerian christainity is associated with wrath from the highlighted spot
where have i being all this days not to have know this facts
....just keep paying your tithe to the god of men ( sorry , men of god).
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Islie: 2:11am On Jul 23, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
....just keep paying your tithe to the god of men ( sorry , men of god).

and what has tithe got to do with the questions i ask......
Or is it because of tithe that you dislike christainity.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by ikes9(m): 9:00am On Jul 23, 2014
can a servant decide not to.follow his master where he goes
same applies in our lives .....For those who worship Christ..and are servants of Christ..they would follow their master (Jesus Christ) to Heaven....And for those who would worship the devil or become his followers/Servants..would follow their master (Satan) to his place of eternal torment...This is the Simple logic of this...God loves us so much he wouldn't want us to suffer...-YES...
But when some of his children decide to be servants of the devil.... well... they have to follow their master...even to.his place of torment...
So fellow beings...choose who your master is...as for me
.. My master..is Jesus Christ

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 9:49am On Jul 23, 2014
frosbel: This article gladdens my heart , Nigerians now coming out to testify of the truth regarding God's goodness.

The Pharisees who possess a heart of stone will threaten , rile, throw their toys out of the pram, excommunicate you, ridicule your faith etc , but the Lord knows those who are his and many so called Christians will be shocked on the last day.

Indeed , when you start thinking and questioning the contradictions of the Christian or Muslim faith, you incur the wrath of religious fanatics who want you to act like dumb sheep all the way to doom

God is Love and though I do believe in judgement and punishment, the idea that God will torment the same creatures he loves for eternity is a sadistic, cruel, evil, wicked, pathetic, disgusting fable designed to blaspheme and malign the character of God.

cheesy

I just had to quote you smiley grin grin
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by uzolexis(f): 10:34am On Jul 23, 2014

I dont get what you mean by Christianity is performance bias in Nigeria but I can say this for a fact,Nigerians use christianity as a cover up for a lot of things.
I dont believe a loving God will condemn his children to eternal fire just because of some few yrs on earth,that is sooooo not true.

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by MizMyColi(f): 11:12am On Jul 23, 2014
uzolexis:

I dont get what you mean by Christianity is performance bias in Nigeria but I can say this for a fact,Nigerians use christianity as a cover up for a lot of things.
I dont believe a loving God will condemn his children to eternal fire just because of some few yrs on earth,that is sooooo not true.
Sweets, have you ever been in a situation where you've done something really bad and you felt like "Would God ever forgive me? Would God continue to forgive me?"

Then you go to church with the hope that you'll find solace there, only to come home feeling battered and more depressed, why? Because pastor just condemned you to hell, infact he specifically mentioned the sin you committed, told you the color of bra you're wearing, so you'd know its you and then he passes the sentence_____"GOD IS ANGRY WITH YOU! REPENT OR INCUR HIS WRATH!!!"

You hastily repent and purpose in your heart never to do such again, only to repeat such next time.......in a holier fashion smiley

Then you begin to dread church because pastor God is angry with you, infact at the time, God's ministrations of love and his desire to heal your brokenness cannot get to you because, pastor's condemning voice keeps ringing over and over in your head.

So for you it becomes a case of If I don't sin, God is happy with me and will bless me, If I pay my tithe, God will do everything for me, If I become a church worker, God will rebuke cankerworm for me - Now That's A Performance Based Mentality

What if you aren't "holy", what if you don't do anything "for" God.....does he really see you any differently? NO! NO! He doesn't!

He sees you, even in your so-called state of sham and disgrace as lovely, as holy, as magnificent......as priceless.

This might be hard for some of us to believe because we don't even love ourselves enough to forgive ourselves when we do the wrong thing.....but the truth is that There are levels of Love you cannot give to others if you haven't given to yourself first, that kind of love

God Loved us, He LOVED US while we were yet sinners, I'm learning to see myself as God sees me......
Knowing that I am loved, irrespective of how many times I've faltered has been the greatest empowerment I've received to live a life that is devoid of wrongdoings.

I still make mistakes, but I no longer feel condemned...even if I do, I talk to A-bba about my insecurities and I feel whole, I feel new, because that's what he does, He makes all things new.

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 23, 2014
And now , let us go and spread the word to our friends, colleagues and even church members that Hell is a Myth , God is love and while there is indeed judgement and punishment, Gods will is that ALL men be saved.

"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!" - Ezekiel 18:32

1 Timothy 2:4
who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Job 37:23
The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power; in his justice and great righteousness, he does not oppress.

Lamentations 3:33
For he does not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2014
frosbel: And now , let us go and spread the word to our friends, colleagues and even church members that Hell is a Myth , God is love and while there is indeed judgement and punishment, Gods will is that ALL men be saved.

"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!" - Ezekiel 18:32

1 Timothy 2:4
who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Job 37:23
The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power; in his justice and great righteousness, he does not oppress.

Lamentations 3:33
For he does not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.

Lies upon lies and misapplication of the scriptures. God's love is not measured by the duration in hell fire/lake of fire, It is only by the sacrifice of his son Jesus Christ on the cross. There is no where in the scriptures that God used eternal torment to talk about his love rather he uses the sacrifice of his son at the cross. You are the one mixing it up for your selfish satisfaction which of course does not change anything. God is eternal and his nature is eternal. Love and Wrath are his nature and both of them are eternal thats why he made the redemption plan for us. If anybody fails to make use of it then you ll face his eternal Judgment and if you embrace his redemption plan you enjoy his perfect love eternally. Its all about choice and nothing more. Interpreting the scripture with sentiment as you people are doing is worse and more dangerous than atheism.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 23, 2014
alexleo:

Lies upon lies and misapplication of the scriptures. God's love is not measured by the duration in hell fire/lake of fire, It is only by the sacrifice of his son Jesus Christ on the cross. There is no where in the scriptures that God used eternal torment to talk about his love rather he uses the sacrifice of his son at the cross. You are the one mixing it up for your selfish satisfaction which of course does not change anything. God is eternal and his nature is eternal. Love and Wrath are his nature and both of them are eternal thats why he made the redemption plan for us. If anybody fails to make use of it then you ll face his eternal Judgment and if you embrace his redemption plan you enjoy his perfect love eternally. Its all about choice and nothing more. Interpreting the scripture with sentiment as you people are doing is worse and more dangerous than atheism.

So the gospel is love God or else he will put you in a furnace of intense heat above 5000% forever and ever world without end ?And then you say that God gives us free will and does not want Robots but what kind of free will is it when the alternative is eternal torture ?

Who in their right mind will choose eternal torture ? How can this be love ? will love hurt the one it loves ..... except maybe for a season to chastise and bring back in line. will love be angry forever ? is love vindictive ? is love hateful ?

Sorry sir but you preach an anti-God and anti-Christ concept that is foreign to the true and eternal gospel.

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by shdemidemi(m): 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
@Frosbel

I thought God gave the best heaven could offer, I don't think He could have given anymore than Christ just to keep you and I from the eternal wrath that is to come.

Whichever way you want to describe the state of hell isn't important, there is time to avoid such sufferings now.

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 5:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
shdemidemi: @Frosbel

I thought God gave the best heaven could offer, I don't think He could have given anymore than Christ just to keep you and I from the eternal wrath that is to come.

Whichever way you want to describe the state of hell isn't important, there is time to avoid such sufferings now.

A good one.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 5:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
frosbel:

So the gospel is love God or else he will put you in a furnace of intense heat above 5000% forever and ever world without end ?And then you say that God gives us free will and does not want Robots but what kind of free will is it when the alternative is eternal torture ?

Who in their right mind will choose eternal torture ? How can this be love ? will love hurt the one it loves ..... except maybe for a season to chastise and bring back in line. will love be angry forever ? is love vindictive ? is love hateful ?

Sorry sir but you preach an anti-God and anti-Christ concept that is foreign to the true and eternal gospel.

Jesus severally called it an everlasting fire. Bro we cant take your word, you are not Jesus. We are not responsible to you, its Jesus we are responsible to. Even if you preach your twisted message for centuries it can never make the words of Jesus change. He was the one that preached about hell fire in the scriptures. Revelation also have the account and thats what we will stick to and not your sentimental, twisted interpretations because its actually the one that is antii-God and anti- Christ concept. We dont need it sir.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
shdemidemi: @Frosbel

Are you a preacher of the gospel and yet do not know what the gospel is ? Is the gospel not about God's kingdom to shortly manifest here on earth and replace all the wicked kingdoms before it ? When was the gospel ever about heaven or hell ? The gospel was always repent and believe that Jesus is the messiah and coming king of the everlasting kingdom and start to act righteously .

Jesus was not sent to keep us out of a notional hell , he was not sent to condemn us or even bring wrath , he came to bring us into the kingdom of his God and immortal Father.

It is religious hypocrites who will be the major recipients of Gods wrath for refusing to preach the gospel that frees men into the liberty that is in Christ. They will not the enter the kingdom but also try to prevent others from entering through the use of theological complexities which only serve to derail the purpose of Christ which is to save all men.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
alexleo:

Jesus severally called it an everlasting fire. Bro we cant take your word, you are not Jesus. We are not responsible to you, its Jesus we are responsible to. Even if you preach your twisted message for centuries it can never make the words of Jesus change. He was the one that preached about hell fire in the scriptures. Revelation also have the account and thats what we will stick to and not your sentimental, twisted interpretations because its actually the one that is antii-God and anti- Christ concept. We dont need it sir.

And what does the greek word for everlasting connote in this instance of scripture ? Let me allow you do some proper bible study first !
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by shdemidemi(m): 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
frosbel:

Are you a preacher of the gospel and yet do not know what the gospel is ? Is the gospel not about God's kingdom to shortly manifest here on earth and replace all the wicked kingdoms before it ? When was the gospel ever about heaven or hell ? The gospel was always repent and believe that Jesus is the messiah and coming king of the everlasting kingdom and start to act righteously .

Jesus was not sent to keep us out of a notional hell , he was not sent to condemn us or even bring wrath , he came to bring us into the kingdom of his God and immortal Father.

It is religious hypocrites who will be the major recipients of Gods wrath for refusing to preach the gospel that frees men into the liberty that is in Christ. They will not the enter the kingdom but also try to prevent others from entering through the use of theological complexities which only serve to derail the purpose of Christ which is to save all men.

I really don't know whr you got your rendition of the gospel from... I know about Jesus sending disciples to preach a gospel to the Jews that He is the son of God...The Jews were to be His subject at that time if they accepted. We all know the story.

But, a certain apostle Paul presented what he called the gospel to the church saying -

15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

Accepting this gospel wouldn't make us subjects of Christ but a part of Him. Every Christian make up that mystical body of Christ.

This gospel isn't about kingdom, it is about salvation of the soul...on the flip side, condemnation beckons at whoever disobey.

1 Like

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 6:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
shdemidemi:

I really don't know whr you got your rendition of the gospel from... I know about Jesus sending disciples to preach a gospel to the Jews that He is the son of God...The Jews were to be His subject at that time if they accepted. We all know the story.

But, a certain apostle Paul presented what he called the gospel to the church saying -

15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

Accepting this gospel wouldn't make us subjects of Christ but a part of Him. Every Christian make up that mystical body of Christ.

This gospel isn't about kingdom, it is about salvation of the soul...on the flip side, condemnation beckons at whoever disobey.

Beautiful. God bless you.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by alexleo(m): 6:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
frosbel:

And what does the greek word for everlasting connote in this instance of scripture ? Let me allow you do some proper bible study first !

Bro you are just twisting the scriptures. I ve always done my research. This issue of eternal judgement is clearly written in the scriptures and we can't leave the scriptures and take your word. No sir. You so much twist this issue of eternal eternal judgment as if you have a plan B. I'm not forcing you to stop twisting but I won't also stop countering you, at least for the sake of the innocent souls that may be reading.
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by uzoexcel(m): 6:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
how is he twisting the scriptures when he quoted from the same bible u r reading
alexleo:

Bro you are just twisting the scriptures. I ve always done my research. This issue of eternal judgement is clearly written in the scriptures and we can't leave the scriptures and take your word. No sir. You so much twist this issue of eternal eternal judgment as if you have a plan B. I'm not forcing you to stop twisting but I won't also stop countering you, at least for the sake of the innocent souls that may be reading.

2 Likes

Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by shdemidemi(m): 6:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
alexleo:

Beautiful. God bless you.
Amen... And you too. Thanks
Re: I Stopped Believing In Hell And Eternal Damnation by shdemidemi(m): 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
uzoexcel: how is he twisting the scriptures when he quoted from the same bible u r reading

Reading from bible can support anything you want it to, if and when adulterated or not studied properly. The bible isn't a story book nor a static revelation, it is a progressive revelation.

God could say, no one should eat bread with yeast today and say bread and yeast is allowed tomorrow. It is up to a sincere Christian to know when an era ends and when the new kicks in.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Water Baptism In River Or Swimming Pool, Share Your Experience / What Is Secret Sin? / The Biblical Joseph, The First And Greatest 419 Story Ever Told.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.