Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry (1583 Views)

Will Everyone Watch Our Life History On Judgement Day / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? / World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
It started when I read an article which confirmed our thoughts, emotions, knowledge, senses, intelligence, choices and decisions we take are effects from chemical reactions in the body system centered in the brain.

Everything in our mind is just an on-going chemical reaction in our brain - every thought, feeling, emotion which make us robotic. That said, our universe is just a big brain. Everything there in is energy taking forms, atom builded in a shape, molecules, cells and network of it all. A brain has the ability to create the illusion of choice, decision making and freewill. What is most fascinating is, the brain creates an Illusionary self (or mind) inside matrix which appear to be in control. Therefore, our experience can then be reframed as selfish automated internal projections.

All the reactions and effects inside our brain is also what is behind our actions/behaviour. Our everyday life is wrapped around chemical reaction. So basically when we feel these emotions like love, anger and happiness it is only a chemical reaction in our brain.

Today, man has grown in population. We have grown into family, clan, society, village, town, city, province/state and countries. Each territory and political boundaries create laws and moral standards for individual therein. Set aside also are those that execute laws while some make judgement for or against actions. In this case, behaviour, law execution and the judicial action can be view as chemical reactions.

The question is, every actions whether when we intend or not; acted morally or not; it is legal or illegal; some took it as fair or barbaric; smartly undertaken or uncivilized; it is killing, stealing, raping or saving life, giving arms or marry following due process, it is all effects of chemical reactions. Should we morally judge for chemical reaction effects?

Should we be held responsible for our actions?

Also, on God's judgement, what would God Judge; is it our illusionary self and mind created by our Brain or the chemicals that reacted together?
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:33am On Jul 25, 2014
Serotonin is a chemical created by the human body that works as a neurotransmitter. Researches has shown that it can controlles mood naturally. Also, it can be used to treat agression when applies artificially.

This showing our behaviours and actions are all chemical effects.

Should we be blame or hold responsible for our action which is factor of chemical reaction that can be altered by Nature?
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Tgirl4real(f): 10:37am On Jul 25, 2014
Lol

In a nutshell, we are not in control, so we shouldn't be held accountable for our actions. Nice! grin

Man is a robot that is controlled by chemical reactions in the brain.

1 Like

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:00am On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real: Lol

In a nutshell, we are not in control, so we shouldn't be held accountable for our actions. Nice! grin

Man is a robot that is controlled by chemical reactions in the brain.

Being a christian and knowing that God would judge human, can you pls tell us what God is going to judge?

Is it our illusionary self, chemicals projecting us or what exactly?

Some animals kill, steal, commit adultery to survive and dishonour their parent yet they live on instinct. And the bible have it that we are the samething with animals. We shall be judged while animals are exceptional. . . . . How does this exception comes in pls?
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by PastorAIO: 12:42pm On Jul 28, 2014
I have an uncle who is on some strong medication for liver problems. His personality has changed. He snaps at people without a moment's notice. He will just start shouting and yabbing you in the most hurtful way. Yet he can't help any of this. It's the medication. A lot of the time when we go out I find myself apologising on his behalf. I apologise to waitresses to cab drivers and even to close friends, I have to remind them that he doesn't really mean it and he's not himself.

1 Like

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
PastorAIO: I have an uncle who is on some strong medication for liver problems. His personality has changed. He snaps at people without a moment's notice. He will just start shouting and yabbing you in the most hurtful way. Yet he can't help any of this. It's the medication. A lot of the time when we go out I find myself apologising on his behalf. I apologise to waitresses to cab drivers and even to close friends, I have to remind them that he doesn't really mean it and he's not himself.

Wish your uncle a quick recovery. I belief if he stops that medication, he will return to his person.

I have also noticed something of this nature in my late grandma. She would sit down on her arm chair and chat with some imaginary beings. She sometime claim her late husband visited her. She would even set aside food, chair and live as if the man is with her. But there is nothing really there or anyone chatting with her. It is just old age and chemical reaction in his body creating that illusion.

Sometime it make me wonder if we really exist. I wonder if there is anything like reality. Our action is not really sometime we wish. It is all projection from chemicals. Suarez comes to mind. How can a grown up man bite before the whole world. I am sure this is something he doesnt like to do but he cant help it when the chemicals in his body effect it.

Moral Judgement is irrelevant if our action could be control by chemicals.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by plaetton: 4:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
Great Thread, Folykaze.

I have actually been planning to open a similar thread to challenge and debunk this much talked about "Freewill , or Free Volitions of man" . I wanted to do so in response to a post by our well respected MNwankwo about a week or so ago. Like you, I intend to show that man, in reality, has no free will, that biologically, behaviorily and socially , human behavior is only a product of darwinian urges.

In other words, man is simply a slightly advanced and glorified animal, but an animal nevertheless. There is nothing divine about humans. There is no divine goodness etched into our beings. All human behaviors are reactions to biological and electromagnetic(visible and invisible) stimuli to meet needs, deal with fears and anxieties.

All our actions, whether it is virtue , vice, peace or war are determined by the biological and electromagnetic environments combined with our social Darwinian calculus at any given time.

So, for the promoters of " man has a freewill" , I challenge you all to a debate, either on this thread or a new one to be opened.
Cc: MNwankwo, Anony, Deepsight, Joshthefirst, Frosbel, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Wish your uncle a quick recovery. I belief if he stops that medication, he will return to his person.

I have also noticed something of this nature in my late grandma. She would sit down on her arm chair and chat with some imaginary beings. She sometime claim her late husband visited her. She would even set aside food, chair and live as if the man is with her. But there is nothing really there or anyone chatting with her. It is just old age and chemical reaction in his body creating that illusion.

Sometime it make me wonder if we really exist. I wonder if there is anything like reality. Our action is not really sometime we wish. It is all projection from chemicals. Suarez comes to mind. How can a grown up man bite before the whole world. I am sure this is something he doesnt like to do but he cant help it when the chemicals in his body effect it.

The immediate question that comes to mind is how same brain chemicals in one makes him have the propensity to bite and in another makes him detest biting.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
rationalmind:

The immediate question that comes to mind is how same brain chemicals in one makes him have the propensity to bite and in another makes him detest biting.

Which kind question be this?

It like asking why identical twins do not think or reason alike.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

That's what you should answer bro.

Why do identical twins with same brain chemicals behave differently?

It's actually a genuine question.

I definitely have my own answers by the way, and I'm intending to show that, chemicals in the brain isn't all there is.

So, don't pretend as if there's anything wrong with the question.

1 Like

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by chrisviral(m): 5:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

It's a very sensible questions and needs an explanation, others it de bunks all the essays you have written above.

But wait the other day I read an article, that science found out that when one dies, his mind lives on (are they talking about the chemical reaction)...

From a christian perspective and my opinion to say, Christians call it Mind and science choose to call it Chemical reaction grin
Let me buttress my point with this illustration

What type of chemical reaction is controlling the Boko Boys?
And from what you have written, no one should blame shekau and his boys... Infact you just trying to say that all humans are POTENTIAL BOKO, it's just that the chemicals haven't found the right combination yet for you and I?

Rethink this essay abeg

1 Like

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:53pm On Jul 28, 2014
chrisviral:

It's a very sensible questions and needs an explanation, others it de bunks all the essays you have written above.

But wait the other day I read an article, that science found out that when one dies, his mind lives on (are they talking about the chemical reaction)...

From a christian perspective and my opinion to say, Christians call it Mind and science choose to call it Chemical reaction grin
Let me buttress my point with this illustration

What type of chemical reaction is controlling the Boko Boys?

The same one that controls you to devour chicken. But another stopped vegetarians to eat bloods.

Science said mind lives on? Which science abeg?
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by chrisviral(m): 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

The same one that controls you to devour chicken. But another stopped vegetarians to eat bloods.

Science said mind lives on? Which science abeg?

Read it here on Nairaland... let me search for the link
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
plaetton: Great Thread, Folykaze.

I have actually been planning to open a similar thread to challenge and debunk this much talked about "Freewill , or Free Volitions of man" . I wanted to do so in response to a post by our well respected MNwankwo about a week or so ago. Like you, I intend to show that man, in reality, has no free will, that biologically, behaviorily and socially , human behavior is only a product of darwinian urges.

In other words, man is simply a slightly advanced and glorified animal, but an animal nevertheless. There is nothing divine about humans. There is no divine goodness etched into our beings. All human behaviors are reactions to biological and electromagnetic(visible and invisible) stimuli to meet needs, deal with fears and anxieties.

All our actions, whether it is virtue , vice, peace or war are determined by the biological and electromagnetic environments combined with our social Darwinian calculus at any given time.

So, for the promoters of " man has a freewill" , I challenge you all to a debate, either on this thread or a new one to be opened.

There is a thread for that https://www.nairaland.com/1475169/madness-doing-morally-free-mental

I am concerned about Moral Judgment.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Tgirl4real(f): 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

I don't buy your theory one bit. Every(right thinking/healthy) man is responsible for his actions and you will give account on judgement day. Shikena!
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:04pm On Jul 28, 2014
chrisviral:

Read it here on Nairaland... let me search for the link

You are looking for nairaland threads. Na wa o. When did nairaland becomes science site?

Here is my definition of Mind

Mind is the illusionary self of yours living in the world of reality created by your brain.

That is the matrix of life.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real:

I don't buy your theory one bit. Every(right thinking/healthy) man is responsible for his actions and you will give account on judgement day. Shikena!

Ya

including that mad man that kill and rape until he commit suicide.

He will give account of his mad action.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Tgirl4real(f): 6:10pm On Jul 28, 2014

True, man has no free will. It's either you are a slave to the flesh (devil) or a slave to righteousness (God). grin
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Tgirl4real(f): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Ya

including that mad man that kill and rape until he commit suicide.

He will give account of his mad action.

Do you read @ all?

You see where your problem lies? tongue
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by chrisviral(m): 6:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You are looking for nairaland threads. Na wa o. When did nairaland becomes science site?

Here is my definition of Mind

Mind is the illusionary self of yours living in the world of reality created by your brain.

That is the matrix of life.

And where is your own now, science land...
Have you lost your Mind?
Now explain that question

1 Like

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by plaetton: 6:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

There is a thread for that https://www.nairaland.com/1475169/madness-doing-morally-free-mental

I am concerned about Moral Judgment.

Yes, but making a moral judgement assumes that the person is completely unencumbered by Darwinian urges or instincts.
How does one make a pure moral judgment if he is influenced by his genes?
How, for example, do we make moral judgments about the humane treatment of livestock if such threaten our ability to feed our population?
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:32pm On Jul 28, 2014
rationalmind:

That's what you should answer bro.

Why do identical twins with same brain chemicals behave differently?

It's actually a genuine question.

I definitely have my own answers by the way, and I'm intending to show that, chemicals in the brain isn't all there is.

So, don't pretend as if there's anything wrong with the question.

Stop that.

I didnt say you were wrong.

And to your question, I can say it depend on programmed experience whixh will be different.

Answer mine.

Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
chrisviral:

And where is your own now, science land...
Have you lost your Mind?
Now explain that question

Did I made claim to science or my definition?

Common stop this pls
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Do you read @ all?

You see where your problem lies? tongue

Nope.

Show me

This mad guy http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/madman-kills-dad-scissors-compares-murder-video-game-article-1.1765433 killed his dad and was happy with it. He said he did what he saw in video game but do not mean to hurt. He even saw his dead dad and had chat with him. . . .

Will God judge this mad man too?
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by chrisviral(m): 6:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Did I made claim to science or my definition?

Common stop this pls

Okay your definition! Sorry.
I have mind.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by mnwankwo(m): 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2014

Hi Plaetton. Always nice to read from you. Please feel free to open a thread to debunk freewill. I am very busy at the moment but will be a little bit free in a weeks time. I will then address point-to-point whatever thesis you have propounded on the non-existence of free will. In passing, let me say this. Your body, the neurotransmitters, the chemicals, the environment in which the body operates are consequences or reactions of free volition that originated from the spirit of Man. Those who like you claim that the genes and the environment that allow the genes to be expressed are the major drivers of how we behave forget that the genes, its expressed phenotypes are the consequences of free-willed volition. At the heart of this proposed debate will be the origin of consciousnesses and whether or not it is tied to the brain or completely independent of the brain. As always, stay blessed.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:41pm On Jul 28, 2014
mnwankwo:

Hi Plaetton. Always nice to read from you. Please feel free to open a thread to debunk freewill. I am very busy at the moment but will be a little bit free in a weeks time. I will then address point-to-point whatever thesis you have propounded on the non-existence of free will. In passing, let me say this. Your body, the neurotransmitters, the chemicals, the environment in which the body operates are consequences or reactions of free volition that originated from the spirit of Man. Those who like you claim that the genes and the environment that allow the genes to be expressed are the major drivers of how we behave forget that the genes, its expressed phenotypes are the consequences of free-willed volition. At the heart of this proposed debate will be the origin of consciousnesses and whether or not it is tied to the brain or completely independent of the brain. As always, stay blessed.

You said you are busy. Would watch from the sideline.

Make I hold my question as for now,.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by mnwankwo(m): 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You said you are busy. Would watch from the sideline.

Make I hold my question as for now,.

Hi Folykase. You can ask your questions or hold them. If you do not mind my late response to them, you can ask them now but if you want an immediate response, then hold your questions till next week. Stay blessed.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Tgirl4real(f): 7:27pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Nope.

Show me

This mad guy http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/madman-kills-dad-scissors-compares-murder-video-game-article-1.1765433 killed his dad and was happy with it. He said he did what he saw in video game but do not mean to hurt. He even saw his dead dad and had chat with him. . . .

Will God judge this mad man too?

Read my posted you quoted earlier and stop arguing blindly.

I said every right thinking and healthy man will be judged and will give account of all d deeds in the flesh.

The mad man wasn't born mad was he? undecided
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Stop that.

I didnt say you were wrong.

And to your question, I can say it depend on programmed experience whixh will be different.

Answer mine.

Good.

While I agree with part of your argument that actions are results of chemical reactions in the brain, I'll go one step further by saying they are also affected by our genetic make up and environmental factors.

Once one argues it's all about chemical reactions, then there's no basis whatsoever to pass moral judgment on anyone as you rightly said.

I however don't think one can't pass moral judgments on others.

Passing moral judgments on a theif for instance will turn out to be an environmental factor which subconsciously influences his actions and that of many others thereby making the world a better place to live in.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:02pm On Jul 28, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Read my posted you quoted earlier and stop arguing blindly.

I said every right thinking and healthy man will be judged and will give account of all d deeds in the flesh.

The mad man wasn't born mad was he? undecided

Some are born with paranoid schizophrenia.

And from what standard do you know a sound and healthy thinking?

This is not an argument, I am here to rob mind with others.
Re: Moral Judgement And Brain Chemistry by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
mnwankwo:

Hi Folykase. You can ask your questions or hold them. If you do not mind my late response to them, you can ask them now but if you want an immediate response, then hold your questions till next week. Stay blessed.

The question is very simple.

If there is a soul or mind that controls a person, cant it stop Nitrous oxide from causing the person not to laugh?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Synagogue Church Releases Official Statement Concerning Collapsed Building / Exposed! Pst Chris Caught Asking Churches To Contribute N10million For Birthday / Christain Vs Jew..am Confused,why The Indifference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.