Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,159 members, 7,953,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:22 PM

Is Lagos State A Muslim State? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos State A Muslim State? (18194 Views)

Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate / What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? / Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by ishmael(m): 7:29am On Oct 14, 2008
@dayokanu
You said that the political power of Lagos state is in the hands of the muslims while business power lies in the hands of the christians. Good.

But may i never hear you say that Kaduna state is a muslim state as some of you use to say; because Kaduna state has never been ruled by a christian before. Kaduna state also has a balanced number of both religions, but it has always been from muslim to another muslim on the governors seat.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 8:07am On Oct 14, 2008
ishmael:

@dayokanu
You said that the political power of Lagos state is in the hands of the muslims while business power lies in the hands of the christians. Good.

But may i never hear you say that Kaduna state is a muslim state as some of you use to say; because Kaduna state has never been ruled by a christian before. Kaduna state also has a balanced number of both religions, but it has always been from muslim to another muslim on the governors seat.

When a state like Lagos and even Kaduna with "balanced" population of christians and muslims consistently produces only muslim governors, curios minds like me would start wondering why?
Is the population data accurate?
Is there an unseen glass ceiling holding back christians?
Are the muslims better politicians?
Do christians prefer playing second fiddle to muslims?
How do correct the situation?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by fyneguy: 8:21am On Oct 14, 2008
Naijaking

I quite understand your concern. However, it's presumptuous to say that the choice of the governor was based on religious consideration, as no-one can prove it. Yes Tinubu is a muslim but he was nominated by Pa Abraham Adesanya, who was a christian.

Even if Tinubu's endorsement of Fashola had religious undertone, it's yet to be proven.

Fashola's wife is a christian and I know Fashola always took his children to church on sundays before he became governor.

Ultimately, the religious status of these personalities has not impacted negatively on Lagos.

This should be the bottomline.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by ibrokay(m): 8:32am On Oct 14, 2008
I dont know why we allways associate everything with religion.We allways create uneccessary division and allways claim we are holy.Christians in high political offices steal likewise the Muslims even the pastors and Imams.Political transparency or credibility does not have anything to do religion
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 8:32am On Oct 14, 2008
Don't get me wrong, Tinubu was one of the best governors in the past administration, and Fashola is doing great too; their performances compared with many christian governors are superior.
However, you should understand my curiosity, it doesn't seem coincidental to have well-performing governors in Lagos who have been consistently muslims, do we need muslim governors in Enugu and Akwa Ibom too?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by deor03(m): 11:13am On Oct 14, 2008
Goosh, I dislike threads like this angry angry
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by c33b33(m): 1:30pm On Oct 14, 2008
@poster
If u had waited till d end,i'm sure d closing prayer would hve been in a christain way.
Back then in high schl.morning devotion was a christain affair from monday to thursday then friday in a muslim style ,even wit a muslim principal.
What i'm trying to say is d muslims in Lagos don't infiltrate religion into politics unlike other parts of d country[xtains included]
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by OmoSekina: 2:35pm On Oct 14, 2008
We need to get these records straight. I did not post this thread to raise controversies that would generate into debasement of selves. Its really fore the purpose of observations and records. So that if it happens again, we would then know if it was just a co-incident or not. However, my point at this time is to look at the Lagos of the future. Who looks like a christian that is likely to succeed Fashola in the present dispensation? I dont have a problem with Fashola, however, my problem is with Tinubu the "Godfada". You would not imagine that even at the so called Governor's forum i watched, Tinubu was shameless in sitting in the front row right beside Fashola's consisting of other Lagos EXCOs. I s he still a cabinet member of Lagos state? If your a king maker, i think there is more honour in taking a back sit and be given all the respect you deserve from afar

I see an Adedibu in Tinubu, becoming an Adeditunubu. Dictating who bcomes local government chairman and other officials in Lagos.

I am of the opinion that if things continue like this, it would only become whoever Adeditunubu has annointed that can rule in Lagos. I dont think this would help in the kind of democracy we are building.

I dont what you guys think o.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 3:29pm On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by congoshine(m): 5:26pm On Oct 14, 2008
Omo Sekina:

In as much as i don't usually delve into religious issues, i cannot but observe and make comments on this and indeed i don't mind whose ox is gored. I had taken out time a while back and looked at the state called "Lagos"; and about 2 months ago i told a gathering of friends that Lagos state is a muslim state. My friends came up with different opinions; some said they don't think so and some said they have never thought about it etc

However, i was only able to confirm my sincere opinion on Friday when Lagos state government held its government forum marking its 1st 500 days in office. I was chocked but not so shocked that in the commencement of the occasion as usual prayers would be administered. To my great surprise, prayer was only taken in islam. I thought about our leaders (so called). Could that have been an omission or what? As supposed, despite the fact that i was born and bred here in Lagos and the fact that this state has become so cosmopolitan; accommodating all tribes and tongues, knowing fully well that it was not only muslims that voted for the present administration.

I really find this very absurd and not acceptable to the people of this great state. For record purposes, if this was a mistake, we are not looking forward to that kind of mistake again.

Mugu,
Please don't bring this Hausa style divide & rule into Lagos.

Prayers are said in public funtions nationwide except Hausa-Fulani area thus: Opening prayer-Islam;Closing prayer-Christian. This is usually alternated.

Fashola was a christian until age 21(probably converted cos of his dad,as he's the 1st son),his mother is Anglican,his wife catholic ,all his siblings are christians. So please Yoruba people are more enlightened than that.

Poverty,NEPA,Area boys & inept local govts cut across religion lines.

Thank you.

Sorry I called u mugu,its just a bit funny .
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by DisGuy: 11:21pm On Oct 14, 2008
This thread is a shame to lagosians, and i call all well meaning lagosians to condemn this idle
observer and his observations  grin

Hey lets just ban prayers at political meeting after all we all pray before leaving the house
we pray damn too much too- its time wasting at executive meetings!!!

Omo Sekina, you didn't even brief us about the 500days achievements, challenges and future programmes
of the Lagos state government- wasn't that the reason you went there
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dnex(m): 12:01am On Oct 15, 2008
There are far more muslim than christian Lagos indigenes. Just try to remember the names of all your friends that are real Lagos indigenes. Not Yorubas living in Lagos O! Muslim indigenes. Kafayat, Monsurat, Jelili, Quodri, Salamot, Ahmed, Taofeek. I live in the Lekki environ and there you will find a lot of ancient Lagos families just like on the Lagos Island. In Lekki, ALL the indigenes are muslims. There's even a mosque on Alpha Beach that was built hundreds of years ago. I just don understand how the Jihadists jumped from Kwara, skipping several Yoruba states and landing in Lagos. Maybe they were colonised by a different clan of muslims not from the Sokoto Caliphate, but from the West African coast and may have come through the sea. Maybe O!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dayokanu(m): 12:19am On Oct 15, 2008
@ denex,

You should know that Yoruba xtian majorly bear their native names and hardly would you hear them going by Anthony, Steven and John while the Moslems bear their Islamic names.

The former King of lagos Michael Oyekan I think. Those Brazilians named families of Lagos Island Fernandez, Da Silva etc?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 12:42am On Oct 15, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dnex(m): 6:30am On Oct 15, 2008
I have told you people, if you like take it, if you like don't . But don't start arguing when you don't know what's on ground.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by ishmael(m): 8:05pm On Oct 15, 2008
@dnex
Thanx jare, I have said it before that most Lagos state indigenes are muslims. Most Lagos state indigenes that are christians are converts from islam to christianity; that is why you will still see a Monrufu and a Rashidat that are Christians. (Monrufu and Rashidat are muslim names).
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dayokanu(m): 10:05pm On Oct 15, 2008
The fact is that most Yoruba Xtians go by their natives names hard would you find them being addressed by Hebrew names.

That gives you an erroneous belief that we have more Moslems.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by fyneguy: 12:31am On Oct 16, 2008
ok e don do, next topic!
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by ahf(m): 1:06pm On Oct 16, 2008
One of the few things I envy Americans for is their desire not to be biased.

They try most times (even though they might not be successful) to judge people by what they can do for the nation and not by race, gender, religion, ethnicity etc. If only we can borrow a leaf from this.

I just cant understand how the religion of a serving public servant should be the interest?

Why not what he has done for the state, what he can still do and any advice to make things better.

Why do we channel our ideas to Negative things? How does one opening prayer in one single event translate to a "Muslim State"

Isn't Dubai (UAE) a Muslim State, see where they are, do you know how many Nigerians go there annual to patronise their economy?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dnex(m): 3:29pm On Oct 16, 2008
I am not here to judge performance in office or the economic development of the United Arab Emirates. I know a fact, and I saw people seeking it so I said it as it is. Shikenan.

I personally beleive that this issue of prayers at public functions should cease. Even when both Islamic and Christian prayers are offered, are they going to then going to marginalise those of of with indigineous religious beliefs? Let there be no segregation before or after a public occasion. That's all I'm saying.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2008
With religion, sense takes flight. Quietly walks away from thread.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by otokx(m): 11:46am On Oct 18, 2008
joined ilugun boy
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Dankota1: 8:09pm On Jan 25, 2012
I SOMETIMES GET THE FEELING THAT AN AVERAGE XTIAN IS NOT THINKING RIGHT WHEN IT COMES TO A MATTER OF RELIGION, FOR INSTANCE WHEN A MUSLIM DOES SOMETHING BAD, EVERY MUSLIM IS TO BE BLAME, BUT WHEN A XTIAN DOES THE SAME, HE BECOME A HOODLUM. IS NIGERIA A XTIAN STATE? IF NOT, WHY DO WE ONLY HAVE PUBLIC HOLIDAYS ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAYS? I THINK WE SHOULD CALL FOR THAT TO BE SHIFTED TO SOME OTHER DAYS SO AS NOT TO FAVOUR ANY GROUP.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by KnowAll(m): 8:16pm On Jan 25, 2012
the day a northern Muslim would marry a Christian as a wife, then the Boko Haram isssue would be settled half way if in anything.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dayokanu(m): 8:27pm On Jan 25, 2012
IBB and Atiku married xtian women
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Yeske2(m): 9:59pm On Jan 25, 2012
All these religious talk like say na we holy pass.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by JaaizTech: 7:44am On Feb 02, 2012
This is a very shameful discussion, an embarrassing one too. At this age and time, the criteria you people are considering for electing political office holders is religion. Nonsense. Why don't you raise the issue that Plateau state is a Christian state too. Because they have always had Christian leaders despite having a sizeable population of Muslims indigene and non-indigene. This post is crap.
The Poster is highly paranoid, perhaps Islamophobic. Let me clear the air, when A Muslim gives the opening prayer a Christian gives the Closing Prayer. This is the practice for decades. We in Lagos are not myopic people.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by JaaizTech: 7:45am On Feb 02, 2012
dayokanu:

IBB and Atiku married xtian women
To add to the list: Buhari also has a Christian Wife. But people just believe what they want to
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by JaaizTech: 7:47am On Feb 02, 2012
KnowAll:

the day a northern Muslim would marry a Christian as a wife, then the Boko Haram isssue would be settled half way if in anything.
I would mention notable Northern leaders that have Christian wives, to show you your naivety.
IBB, ATIKU, BUHARI

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Reports Monthly Profit Of N274m For The First Time In 15 Years - ThisDay / JTF Engages Militants In A Gun Battle, Kills One- The Punch / You Won't Believe What Is Happening In The North Right Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.