Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,454 members, 7,770,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:03 AM

FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes (20930 Views)

NMA President Resigns!!!!!!!! / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Of NMA, JOHESU And Reality! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Hoggy: 8:58am On Jul 27, 2014
Let me ask, is NMA a trade union body or a regulatory body? Because I see NMA the same way I see NBA or NSE which are all regulatory bodies that are responsible in ensuring the production of quality practitioners to project and protect the working ethics of the professions. I think NMA can't go on strike and it is wrong. JOHESU is a register trade union body that has the power and right to go on strike

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by echarlz(m): 9:02am On Jul 27, 2014
PRIVATISATION is it! God bless the Elumelu committee. Banning professional associations and unions can't be readily pushed far. Privatisation will sanitise Nigeria's health care system,remove the anarchy and unending chaos among hospital workers and allow more focus and respect for patient care. Truth is, a lot of in-fighting and rivalry have led to low productivity and poor patient satisfaction. Many workers on FG's payroll today have no business being there. Health indices will improve and more jobs will be created. Government should just regulate and ensure high standards, provide 100% health insurance coverage for Nigerians and protect workers' interests with the necessary laws. Enough of this nonsense o jare

4 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by poiZon: 9:06am On Jul 27, 2014
the best institution to BAN that will receive my consent 100percent is THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY. men that institution is a confirm drain pipe in nigeria. imagine since 1999 till date the new constitution abi ammended constitution hasnt pass the introductory section. in kenya parliamentarians cut down their wages to for the purpose of saving their country's wage crisis here in naija the abokis are clamouring for jumbo pay when the minimum wage cant take a common man home n unemployment is skyrocketting evry year. God dia

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by ebemio: 9:12am On Jul 27, 2014
NMA is turning to something else but they signed and took an oath in order to save life. I can conclude that NMA are puppets in the hands of the opposition to rubbish the government of the day. Too many trade union in Nigeria coming up with different demands, We should all hope for a better day ahead.
Does everything has to be political to make sense
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 27, 2014
Proscribing the unions or privatising health institutions is not the solution. In a democracy, in our own case, powered by Nigeria's constitution, freedom of association is guaranteed. What the govt need do is to negotiate with the two unions which are currently @ each other's jugular, to reach a commonplace agreement. Its a supremacy war. It happens even b/w brothers. You don't ban brothers, incidentally your children, from the house simply becos they are quarrelsome. So, let the FG call NMA and JOHESU to the negotiating table and resolve the differences b/w them first, before harmonising their grievances. Banning or privatising is the lazy way to think in a democracy. We are not in a military barracks or dictatorship regime.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by anonimi: 9:22am On Jul 27, 2014
Decibel: Excellent move!!Those organisations are willing tools in the hands of the oppositions; they are also worse than Boko Haram cool

This is a very SILLY and USELESS move.
The medical professionals will simply form a new organization.
Did the students not do something similar when the military banned NANS' precursor
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 27, 2014
A beg everybody should go buy where there is no doctors, its a very important book to have at home even where there is a doctor. after all majority of these our present crops of medical doctors kills more people than they save, only few emergency situation is going to be needing them this season , if other health professionals are well trained, they should be able to handle most, and the ones they can't handle should be referred to the army or private hospital, they can all open their own hospitals for all I care but they should first resign from the govt owned hospitals first.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by nationwide24: 9:35am On Jul 27, 2014
Where is the human then when doctors cannot demand for better welfare package? Yet they expect good output. I don hear. Nigerian government often clean yansh before them shit.
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Arsenate(m): 10:04am On Jul 27, 2014
nationwide24: Where is the human then when doctors cannot demand for better welfare package? Yet they expect good output. I don hear. Nigerian government often clean yansh before them shit.
the present strike by the NMA is not for better pay, better welfare or better working environment. they are striking because government has agreed to some demands by JOHESU.
to be honest I do pity the government. NMA's demand are rather unrealistic and if granted, JOHESU will most definitely go strike.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by tyav7: 10:06am On Jul 27, 2014
Government no fit. The taste of the pudding is in the eating. If I hear!
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Cholison(m): 10:10am On Jul 27, 2014
Fast track the proscription, they are insensitive and greedy.
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by nationwide24: 10:28am On Jul 27, 2014
Arsenate: the present strike by the NMA is not for better pay, better welfare or better working environment. they are striking because government has agreed to some demands by JOHESU.
to be honest I do pity the government. NMA's demand are rather unrealistic and if granted, JOHESU will most definitely go strike.
I don't think the NMA demands are unrealistic outrightly. For example, is it not ridiculous to mention hazard allowance as 5k for doctors? Is it right to call every worker in the hospital doctor? Meaning even cleaners and attendants will be called doctors. Also, we will now have pharmacy technicians, consultant lab scientist. Come to think of it, NMA demands are genuine, fair and very realistic.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by ACM10: 10:33am On Jul 27, 2014
ebemio: NMA is turning to something else but they signed and took an oath in order to save life. I can conclude that NMA are puppets in the hands of the opposition to rubbish the government of the day. Too many trade union in Nigeria coming up with different demands, We should all hope for a better day ahead.
Does everything has to be political to make sense

Yes NMA took oath to save lives, not oath to slavery. The oath is between doctors and their patients. They continue to honour the contents of their oath in private settings where condition is favourable. The oath did not mandate them to accept unfavourable condition of work from the govt.

5 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2014
Hmm, in the north east, boko haram is decimating innocent lives running into thousands, professional 'boko haram' in the guise of doctors, are busy sending poor innocent to thousands as well. Hmm
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by dumodust(m): 11:01am On Jul 27, 2014
Trying to ban the unions is a joke... doctors in private hospitals are also nma members but they dont have issues because the terms are defined before they are hired.
what I support wholeheartedly is privatization with a global functional health insurance scheme/fund linked to our taxes or something else. The process will need to be guided/chaperoned well and institutions will hire and pay exactly what they need, no loafing or lazying about anymore and getting paid....simple
But before they do that, they should try and register all nigerians, have biometrics, organise our records, ensure all citizens are paying health insurance and taxes... be ready to monitor and regulate all institutions to ensure minimum global standards... only then can we improve but it is a lot to do. Then healthcare can be 'free' because insurance cover means u dont nid your villagers to do meeting to pay ur bills grin and it will make handling of emergencies easy.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Dragonking: 11:08am On Jul 27, 2014
500GP:

IS IT BAD JOHESU DEMANDING FOR THEIR OWN DEMANDS ALSO ?

TELL YOUR MASTER TO GOVERN WELL

Guy stop talking fo0lishly..NMA and johetsu have been going on several strikes even before GEJ entered into power so what did your own master OBJ do about it?

If GEJ gives all the demands of NMA of which some of them are not necessary then JOHETSU will also embark on their own demands and this senseless cycle will never stop.

Again stop thinking like a nincompoop.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Dragonking: 11:18am On Jul 27, 2014
nationwide24: I don't think the NMA demands are unrealistic outrightly. For example, is it not ridiculous to mention hazard allowance as 5k for doctors? Is it right to call every worker in the hospital doctor? Meaning even cleaners and attendants will be called doctors. Also, we will now have pharmacy technicians, consultant lab scientist. Come to think of it, NMA demands are genuine, fair and very realistic.

A simple question, are doctors been paid hazard allowance in private hospitals and if so how much?
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by 500GP: 11:21am On Jul 27, 2014
Dragonking:

Guy stop talking fo0lishly..NMA and johetsu have been going on several strikes even before GEJ entered into power so what did your own master OBJ do about it?

If GEJ gives all the demands of NMA of which some of them are not necessary then JOHETSU will also embark on their own demands and this senseless cycle will never stop.

Again stop thinking like a nincompoop.

DURING OBJ'S ADMINISTRATION, THERE WERE ASSU ,NMA STRIKE, HE SOLVED THE PROBLEM EMPHATICALLY WITHOUT THREATENING OF THE WORKERS, "NO WORK, NO PLAY.

IT'S THE RIGHT OF THE WORKERS TO DEMAND WHENEVER THE CONDITION OF THEIR WORK IS NOT CONDUCIVE
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Dragonking: 11:31am On Jul 27, 2014
500GP:

DURING OBJ'S ADMINISTRATION, THERE WERE ASSU ,NMA STRIKE, HE SOLVED THE PROBLEM EMPHATICALLY WITHOUT THREATENING OF THE WORKERS, "NO WORK, NO PLAY.

IT'S THE RIGHT OF THE WORKERS TO DEMAND WHENEVER THE CONDITION OF THEIR WORK IS NOT CONDUCIVE

Why are you lying?? During OBJ administration ASSU went on strike for close to 7months and OBJ didn't care to the extent the some ASSU members started dying of hunger and lack of finance. OBJ didn't solve any problem because he was heartless and wicked..Where were you when OBJ increased the price of fuel about 8 times? where were you when OBJ implemented no work no pay structure without having a dialogue with ASSU? where were you when OBJ increased the price of fuel to the point that Nigerians were complaining and he said that "if we can buy beer for N150 then we should not complain" wasn't that comment daft and stupiid? where were you then? where were you when OBJ sent soldiers to kill about 2,500 innocent villagers in Odi because his daft brain couldn't offer any solution to militancy? After destroying the whole villageof Odi did the militancy stop? No..so where were you then?

I have worked in the health sector in admin during my teenage days and i can assure you that if JOHETSU goes on strike the impact will be far worse than when NMA goes on strike.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Xriss: 11:32am On Jul 27, 2014
My sister is a medical doctor and the following is her employment story.....

She finished Medical School before the turn of this decade and didn't get a job for 13 months because all the private hospitals she applied to offered to pay her N30k to N70k monthly. This was unacceptable to her, so she applied for and got a bank job that was to pay her N130k monthly. However, shortly before resuming at the bank, she got an offer for a temporary job at a Government Medical Centre for N100k monthly. She decided to take the govt job so she could practice and after working there for about a year her employment was regularized at the Ministry in Abuja and her pay increased to N200k+ including other benefits.

My problem is WHY DO DOCTORS HOLD THE GOVT AND PATIENTS TO RANSOM TO BETTER A GOOD PAY PACKAGE WHILE PAYING DOCTORS THEY EMPLOY PEANUTS?

WHY DOESN'T THE NMA GO ON STRIKE TO ENSURE THAT DOCTORS EMPLOYED IN PRIVATE HOSPITALS ARE PAID AS WELL AS DOCTORS EMPLOYED BY THE GOVERNMENT?

Can any Doctor in the house please help answer the above?

6 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by otokx(m): 11:41am On Jul 27, 2014
They should first privatize Government at all levels, then privatize defence etc before health care.
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Arosam(m): 11:49am On Jul 27, 2014
nationwide24: I don't think the NMA demands are unrealistic outrightly. For example, is it not ridiculous to mention hazard allowance as 5k for doctors? Is it right to call every worker in the hospital doctor? Meaning even cleaners and attendants will be called doctors. Also, we will now have pharmacy technicians, consultant lab scientist. Come to think of it, NMA demands are genuine, fair and very realistic.

And who told you only MDs are awarded professional Doctorate after completion of their training in school, their are DOs, ODs, Pharm Ds, and others
Google is your friend, use it wisely.
Are you saying that a nurse who has his/her Ph.D should not be address as Doctor and be deprived of the benefit that come with upgrade as a Nigerian CIVIL SERVANT. then if the MDs are on strike cos of this , their demand is unrealistic

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by nationwide24: 11:52am On Jul 27, 2014
Dragonking:

A simple question, are doctors been paid hazard allowance in private hospitals and if so how much?
We're talking about government here. Or how much do private schools or other private firms paying grduate employees and how much does govt pay?
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 27, 2014
If you see what I'm seeing, Nigerians and the government are in a very terrible fix. If you give in to NMA's demands, JOHESU will immediately down their tools and then the government will also have to accede to their demands and NMA will again be compelled to take to the streets...And on and on. You get my drift? Our health system has now entered a vicious cycle, a cycle that can be stopped only by Nigerians and our government take strong and decisive steps regardless of whose ox is gored.

First, this battle is more psychological than anything else. The medical doctors think they are indispensable. That's what professional pride can give you, but then the government is bigger than any profession. And we are that government. Medical doctors as much as all other health care professionals work for money. It's as simple as that. I will quickly make a list of what the government can consider:

1) Privatize the health sector: that way, the employer will have a real human face and will directly determine pay based on how each employee contributes to health care delivery. Privatization will definitely come with initial teething problems but what we have right now in the health sector is a lot worse than any teething problems.
2) There is no point banning NMA and JOHESU. By remunerating each employee as a function of his/her contribution and market forces, water will find its level. The regulatory professional bodies will merely be ensuring that each hospital conforms to inviolable conditions such as how many medical doctors/pharmacists/nurses to hire per unit number of patients.
3) The government should take the leadership to set up a sound health-insurance scheme that in turn involves private insurance companies. Each Nigerian will then be encouraged to register with any such companies depending on the range of health services one desires and how affordable one finds each insurance package. Each private health institution will have to honour each certified health insurance product.
4) The government's involvement in active health care delivery should be restricted to areas like maternal and child health in particular.
5) The government should tackle the issue of greed fueled by corruption starting right with the public officers.
We all have an idea how much politicians earn, those whose main qualification for such political offices was no more than their engagement in thuggery, political violence, and so on. Why then should individuals like Professors, lecturers, and health care professionals hold the government to ransom on the issue of pay?
How much positive influence does an average politician have on people's lives during the short period he serves in a public office? Yet they reward themselves billions of naira both from 'legitimate' and non-legitimate sources. And yes, they decide what is legitimate. But take a pharmacist for instance, how many Nigerians do you suppose he serves every single day? Hundreds of course. A medical doctor too. And how much do they get paid for their services that usually continue for decades? Answer: a pittance compared to what a politician earns by mere attendance of a meeting that he/she will end up sleeping through in the name of state business.
Now this is where it gets a little dicey. Yes, NMA and JOHESU and ASUU and so on have a legitimate ground for claiming unending pay increment based on what politicians like Jonathan and the rest award themselves.

But then how much do other government employees get paid? I will give you a practical example. Years ago, my dad used to be a secondary school principal, and he was a year or two away from retirement when I went to work at OAUTHC as an intern pharmacist. My father also graduated from the same university, OAU as I did. But despite the fact that he had served the people and worked for almost 35 years, my salary as an intern pharmacist (i.e. not a 'full' pharmacist) was almost double his salary as a secondary school principal...Oh yes, that of medical interns would be more than double his salary. And this brings me to an humble conclusion: that our fight over wages and relative wages by NMA and JOHESU might also be seen as a demonstration of greed and insensitivity on our part as health workers. Whether you are going to become a banker, an engineer, a medical doctor, a politician, a preacher, you will have to go through teachers (especially primary and secondary). And how much are those paid? I can tell you that, a shameful fraction of what we collect as health care professionals.
But get this: the world does not owe us anything for being medical doctors, pharmacists, and nurses. We chose to become these, but we could not have become a thing if we did not pass through these teachers. It is shameful that our teachers are being treated like rags in almost all Nigerian states, and somehow how health professionals think Nigerians should worship them, even bleed to pay them like we do politicians. Tell me, did you ever receive medical care for free? Didn't you have to pay the last time you visited a hospital or a pharmacy? Whether subsidized or not, you still had to pay. So, why should NMA and JOHESU think we should suspend living and start worshiping them because they are health care professionals?
A lasting solution must involve a huge cut in politicians' pay, outright privatization of the health system and a fully operational health insurance system that is comprehensive enough to include the lowest in the society as much as the highest. The insurance system will be our safety net as Nigerians to ensure that health care professionals do not again hold us all to ransom.

Lastly, kindly pardon the length of my writing. I prefer to write long, once, than short several times.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by JANK23H(m): 11:57am On Jul 27, 2014
Your mumu don ripe.If OBJ dealt with the issues emphatically,how come GEJ is the facing those same issues?A lot of those demands were made during OBJ's regime & they were not met.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
dumodust: Trying to ban the unions is a joke... doctors in private hospitals are also nma members but they dont have issues because the terms are defined before they are hired.
what I support wholeheartedly is privatization with a global functional health insurance scheme/fund linked to our taxes or something else. The process will need to be guided/chaperoned well and institutions will hire and pay exactly what they need, no loafing or lazying about anymore and getting paid....simple
But before they do that, they should try and register all nigerians, have biometrics, organise our records, ensure all citizens are paying health insurance and taxes... be ready to monitor and regulate all institutions to ensure minimum global standards... only then can we improve but it is a lot to do. Then healthcare can be 'free' because insurance cover means u dont nid your villagers to do meeting to pay ur bills grin and it will make handling of emergencies easy.

Brilliant! Thank you, you spoke my mind.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Dragonking: 12:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
nationwide24: We're talking about government here. Or how much do private schools or other private firms paying grduate employees and how much does govt pay?

Private organisations pay their workers more than most government workers, some private schools pay graduates close to N200k a month but private hospitals refuse to pay more..why? private hospital dont give hazard allowance and they dont offer security that the greedy doctors are using as a tool to hold the lives of innocent people to ransom.

So why has NMA turned a blind eye to all these?

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by jumpmasta(m): 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
snazzylove: They should ban dem jare. Our doctors are too greedy and selfish. Imagine the height of wickedness and heartlessness, denying the common Nigerian of quality and cheap medical service, while they are all busy making money in their private clinics.
I think the first step should be to ban all doctors under the FG payroll from owning a private hospital. Let's see how far they will go with their incessant strike actions.
Story story..I wonder how many Drs actually own private practices... Gullible Nigerians
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by nationwide24: 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
Arosam:

And who told you only MDs are awarded professional Doctorate after completion of their training in school, their are DOs, ODs, Pharm Ds, and others
Google is your friend, use it wisely.
No need for google here. Everyone knows it. In hospital environment, d term "doctor" is exclusively for medical doctors to avoid confusion. Or you mean we should have doctor pharmacy technicians, doctor theatre attendant, doctor lab scientist, etc.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by Dragonking: 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
JANK23H: Your mumu don ripe.If OBJ dealt with the issues emphatically,how come GEJ is the facing those same issues?A lot of those demands were made during OBJ's regime & they were not met.

Help me ask the mumu guy oh.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by 500GP: 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
Dragonking:

Why are you lying?? During OBJ administration ASSU went on strike for close to 7months and OBJ didnt care to the extent the some ASSU members started dying of hunger and lack of finance. OBJ didnt solve any problem because he was heartless and wicked..Where were you when OBJ increased the price of fuel about 8 times? where were you when OBJ implemented no work no pay structure without having a dialogue with ASSU? where werw you when OBJ increased the price of fuel to the point that Nigerians were complaining and he said that "if we can buy beer for N150 then we should not complain" wasnt that comment daft and stupiid? where were you then? wherw were you when OBJ sent soldiers to kill about 2,500 innocent villagers in Odi because his daft brain couldnt offer any solution? After destroying the whole villageof Odi did the militancy stop? No..so where were you then?

I have worked in the health sector in admin during my teenage days and i can assure you that if JOHETSU goes on strike the impact will be far worse than when NMA goes on strike.

DURING OBJ'S REGIME, THERE WERE INDUSTRIAL ACTION. HE DIDN'T THREATEN THE WORKERS, OR THREATEN TO SCRAP ANY UNION. HE SOLVED THE ISSUE.

INCREASING AND DECREASING OF PRICE OF FUEL PUMP IS COMMON IN NIGERIA GOVERNMENT. OBJ INCREASED THE PRICE, NIGERIANS WERE ABLE TO AFFORD IT . THERE WERE NO NATIONWIDE PROTEST.

GEJ INCREASED THE FUEL PRICE TWICE OF WHAT OBJ INCREASED IT TO AND THIS WAS FOLLOWED WITH NATIONWIDE PROTEST.
Re: FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes by phantom(m): 12:06pm On Jul 27, 2014
Dragonking:

Private organisations pay their workers more than most government workers, some private schools pay graduates close to N200k a month but private hospitals refuse to pay more..why? private hospital dont give hazard allowance and they dont offer security that the greedy doctors are using as a tool to hold the lives of innocent people to ransom.

So why has NMA turned a blind eye to all these?
please go and find out how much st Nicholas and reddington pay their doctors.
with privatization big players will come into healthcare because it will be very profitable for them.
yes,they will downsize drastically but the few they retain,they will pay very well. that's what we want.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? / Naira Scarcity: Death Figures Spike In Hospitals / Lagos Discharges Two More Coronavirus Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.