Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,703 members, 7,955,654 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:03 PM

Brief History Of Nnewi - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Brief History Of Nnewi (39848 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) / Brief History Of NDOKWA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 26, 2014
And this fool thinks he made sense undecided

kekakuz: another long slave story.
they were not allowed to eat goat which they prepared for their Yoruba masters daily.
when oranmiya finally liberated them.the only thing they feel like eating was ewu(goat)
but they are afraid the their masters will know because ewure (goat) is the special meat of the Yoruba masters.

so they shorten ewure to ewu as a form of disguise yet the are afraid the yourubas will still know because they are great in knowledge.
so the used ewi meaning rat.
they felt their Yoruba lords will not be angry if they heard that they are eating rat.(rat who cares lol)
that is how rats saved them from slavery and that settlement was named nnewi for we were saved by the rats.
till this day,people of nnewi don't eat Bush rat but they don't mind eating house rat as that is the only way they can secretly eat rat.

I hope you learnt the truth.

3 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 26, 2014
While this wretched frustrated old fool jumps from one Igbo thread to another looking for an e-fight with those who are his grand children's age mate. Agbaya. Agadi ekwe nka undecided

500GP: SO ANAMBRA IS A NO MAN'S LAND. BENIN HAS A STAKE IN ANAMBRA

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by kekakuz(m): 11:21am On Jul 26, 2014
peppyluv02: And this fool thinks he made sense undecided

yes he does
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 11:26am On Jul 26, 2014
Nice history but there are snags here as a man from Amichi Nnewi south there is no leadership position of Nnewi amongst us Igbo most Igbo towns are independent and come together for diplomatic and administrative position . Yes in terms of relationship with Aros we have it....like my own part of amichi comes from ndiogbuonyeoma ndi Izuogu. But another notion I found appealing is giving indegines of ontisha migrant status. Yes we might have some migrants from Benin but let us be careful here. We have natives that absorbed these migrants and Onitsha history is clear on that .

That's a good write up but fee diatortion. We have boundary with otolo

3 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 11:29am On Jul 26, 2014
peppyluv02: While this wretched frustrated old fool jumps from one Igbo thread to another looking for an e-fight with those who are his grand children's age mate. Agbaya. Agadi ekwe nka undecided

GBA ndi ara nkiti...ndi ofe manu nwuru anwu

4 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Okeikpu(m): 11:30am On Jul 26, 2014
janykute:
Am not sure there is any household in Nnewi that doesn't have one or two motorbike.its more like our identity.
you r100% right! Same wt cars..... ndi-nkwechiri!

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Okeikpu(m): 11:35am On Jul 26, 2014
teufelein: nnewi is a jungle, unplanned city, waste disposal site and can be equated to a place suitable only for undomesticated animals. there's absolutely nothing to write home about nnewi city; IT IS A JUNGLE!
Nne jiri ya nwayoo, o gini na'chugi...... try google..if u don't get it.

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 26, 2014
smiley ndi nnewi ndi ogom daalu nu o.
Ne kwa ikpere m n'ala.
Ututu oma. smiley

tonychristopher:

2 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by 500GP: 11:41am On Jul 26, 2014
peppyluv02: While this wretched frustrated old fool jumps from one Igbo thread to another looking for an e-fight with those who are his grand children's age mate. Agbaya. Agadi ekwe nka undecided

WELCOME BACK MY GOAT. YOU WILL GET HYPERTENSION AT THE END OF THE DAY.

#YOUR ABUSIVE WORD WON'T STOP ME FROM BASHING I*O
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 11:47am On Jul 26, 2014
peppyluv02: smiley ndi nnewi ndi ogom daalu nu o.
Ne kwa ikpere m n'ala.
Ututu oma. smiley

NNE OMA kedu ije
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Okeikpu(m): 11:48am On Jul 26, 2014
tonychristopher:

Anu anatu bombu onaku nkwa.... grin How far?

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 11:49am On Jul 26, 2014
peppyluv02: smiley ndi nnewi ndi ogom daalu nu o.
Ne kwa ikpere m n'ala.
Ututu oma. smiley

NNE kedu ka idi ...nwanyi OMA enenebe eje olu enenebe ukwu egbu nchi

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 11:52am On Jul 26, 2014
Okeikpu: Anu anatu bombu onaku nkwa.... grin How far?

Okeipku nwoke OMA...kedu ije . Munwa by Anu ana atu bomb ona acho condom. Boko haram tuo rocket na ara ezigbo ikpu

Okeikpu arapuru Oga ara one ya? Mbanu obu UDI ndi dika anyi

Kedu ka Ikpu oyibo si ada kita

Ekene m nwanna

2 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by snadguy007(m): 11:56am On Jul 26, 2014
nnekamezor: i dey come ooo...mk i tidy sometinwink
cheesy cheesy
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by divinegiftmodel: 12:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
3sth3r: My friends from the east keep saying they rather pardon a snake than a nnewi desendant..why is it so
you should be proud to associate with Nnewi people cos they will teach you how to progress sharply . They person that told must be from neighbouring state # proudly akaboukwu uruagu Nnewi

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by mki: 12:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
manneger2:
edo is not pronounce like edo state, is edo meaning Gold in igbo language for example anaedo means land of Gold....
Anaedo actually means 'yellow land'. Edo in Igbo means yellow, while ola edo means gold- ie yellow jewel.

2 Likes

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by vislabraye(m): 1:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
kekakuz: another long slave story.
they were not allowed to eat goat which they prepared for their Yoruba masters daily.
when oranmiya finally liberated them.the only thing they feel like eating was ewu(goat)
but they are afraid the their masters will know because ewure (goat) is the special meat of the Yoruba masters.

so they shorten ewure to ewu as a form of disguise yet the are afraid the yourubas will still know because they are great in knowledge.
so the used ewi meaning rat.
they felt their Yoruba lords will not be angry if they heard that they are eating rat.(rat who cares lol)
that is how rats saved them from slavery and that settlement was named nnewi for we were saved by the rats.
till this day,people of nnewi don't eat Bush rat but they don't mind eating house rat as that is the only way they can secretly eat rat.

I hope you learnt the truth.
. Hmmm.... Wonders will never end.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by modhream: 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2014
Lots of 1diots on nairaland these days,I swear.Thought they only infest the politics section,now they are here.Sad
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by modhream: 2:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
tonychristopher: Nice history but there are snags here as a man from Amichi Nnewi south there is no leadership position of Nnewi amongst us Igbo most Igbo towns are independent and come together for diplomatic and administrative position . Yes in terms of relationship with Aros we have it....like my own part of amichi comes from ndiogbuonyeoma ndi Izuogu. But another notion I found appealing is giving indegines of ontisha migrant status. Yes we might have some migrants from Benin but let us be careful here. We have natives that absorbed these migrants and Onitsha history is clear on that .

That's a good write up but fee diatortion. We have boundary with otolo
The thread is about Nnewi,not Nnewi n its satellite towns else one would have delved into the history,traditions n institutions specific to Ichi n Oraifite,our brothers.
Amichi,as a town,has its own history separate from that of Nnewi.That it came under Nnewi's influence at some point doesn't change that.
And yes,there's no single Aro settlement in any of Nnewi's four quarters till this day.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Kalvan: 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
Nnewi, Nigeria's Jerusalem. I visited Nnewi once. While walking on the street I got a whiff of a strong burning smell, it smelled like burning rubber. As I walked on, I saw a man putting human body parts into a Big pot. I was aghast!! How?! Why?! These words came into my mind. Then I remembered "Oshukwu" the cannibal of Nnewi, this brought a big smile to face. Oh NNewi.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by kekakuz(m): 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
vislabraye: . Hmmm.... Wonders will never end.
lol
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Okeikpu(m): 4:33pm On Jul 26, 2014
tonychristopher:

Okeipku nwoke OMA...kedu ije . Munwa by Anu ana atu bomb ona acho condom. Boko haram tuo rocket na ara ezigbo ikpu

Okeikpu arapuru Oga ara one ya? Mbanu obu UDI ndi dika anyi

Kedu ka Ikpu oyibo si ada kita

Ekene m nwanna
grin grin cheesy Ajo anu! Ikpu ndi ocha agwugonu mmadu ike.....
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by hollypagan: 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
this writer only described nnewi north what about the south
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Obioso(m): 9:17pm On Jul 26, 2014
proudly nnewi man
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 12:04am On Jul 27, 2014
modhream:
The thread is about Nnewi,not Nnewi n its satellite towns else one would have delved into the history,traditions n institutions specific to Ichi n Oraifite,our brothers.
Amichi,as a town,has its own history separate from that of Nnewi.That it came under Nnewi's influence at some point doesn't change that.
And yes,there's no single Aro settlement in any of Nnewi's four quarters till this day.

That's the point we are talking Nnewi as a town has four quarters and Amichi as a town has seven quarters but they have maintained diplomatic relations for ceturies with their independence unless wars which was fought and I know histories of both towns till Igboukwu where I am nwadi ani

Nwanna udo

But that migrant theory of onitshashould

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 12:10am On Jul 27, 2014
modhream:

Yes I might tend to agree with you in some issues but Nnewi as an influence only stopped within the four quarters of Nnewi while amichi has seven quarters also but there has been cultural relationship for centuries and we see both as brothers but with different kings .Nnewi is orizu while amichi is ezuoke but I think that notion of Benin and Onitsha has to be corrected cos I know that there are indigrnes before migrations just like Nnewi and amichi

I love this cultural awareness... as of aro issue I will investigate just my grand dad is dead

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 12:12am On Jul 27, 2014
hollypagan: this writer only described nnewi north what about the south

Thats what I wanted to know

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by pazienza(m): 12:49am On Jul 27, 2014
OdenigboAroli: How did Onitsha get into all these? And this your Obi title isn't even original to Anaedo, it was borrowed from the Onitsha axis communities. There is only two Obis in Anambra, Obi of Onitsha and Nsugbe. And these two communities had migration from Anioma. Even the closest Anambra towns to Anioma doesn't even have the Obi title. Even Obi is non existent in many Anioma towns. Nnewi has no migrants from Anioma,at least non is recorded. Obosi has Umuezechima but still were immune to their influence let alone Nnewi that never had any contact with Onitsha prior colonialism.

Orafite has Obi. Though they have Anioma( Ukwuani) influence, via the umuezeopi clan that migrated to the town from Ukwuani area.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 27, 2014
mki: Anaedo actually means 'yellow land'. Edo in Igbo means yellow, while ola edo means gold- ie yellow jewel.

I believe that Edo in this case refers neither to the colour yellow nor to gold. Edo is/was a female deity worshipped in Nnewi, and the other towns that formed the Ana-Edo group of communities.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by tonychristopher: 7:18am On Jul 27, 2014
Radoillo:

I believe that Edo in this case refers neither to the colour yellow nor to gold. Edo is/was a female deity worshipped in Nnewi, and the other towns that formed the Ana-Edo group of communities.

Pls which communities are membership of ana Edo.
Re: Brief History Of Nnewi by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 27, 2014
tonychristopher:

Pls which communities are membership of ana Edo.

Nnewi, Oraifite, and (I think) Ichi (not sure of the last one).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Oloto Is Dead / Asiri Ijinle Awon Woli Lailai / Ojora Of Lagos, Oba Fatai Aremu Marries A New Wife (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.